IPA - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

IPAIPA

good

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

India Pale Ale is about balance. The right balance of malt, hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma to create an unforgettable ale. Lucky Bucket's Original American IPA begins with a nice malt bill that lets the brew stand up to the mountain of hops added later. After the boil, the hot wort (the beer before it's really beer) is fired through a hop back, a unique four-barrel stainless steel tank filled with a gratuitous amount of raw flower Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops, extracting the aromatic oils and flavor of the hops. Followed with additional dry hopping in the fermenter, the end result is a big, well-balanced West Coast-style IPA with terrific hop flavor and aroma. Lucky Bucket IPA weighs in at 65 IBUs and 6.3% ABV.

(Beer added by: RedHaze on 05-23-2010)

Lucky Bucket, Est. 2008, Craft Brewery, Full Hop Flavor IPA, Original American India Pale Ale, 6.3% ALC by Vol.
"It's no secret that IPA is all about the hops. American Craft Brewers have been especially adept in the ways the humulus lupus can be used to make a spectacular beer for hop heads to enjoy. Our Original American IPA celebrates this interesting diversity in hop flavor. The final result is big, bold, and, shall we say, in your face….as it should be."

Blah, blah, blah…let's open and see.

Clouded, apricot to amber-ish appearance, nice, large, strong, lasting pillow of snow-white head. Looks good, no question.

Aromatics: Lovely delivery of essential oils and flavors of that aforementioned wolf weed. Piney, prickly, bitter, and only slightly sweet, citrus and tropical fruit associations. Quite a potent thrill in the nose, without going overboard.

Taste: Bam! Hops deployed, bitterness boards the tongue, a trickle and a tickle on the palate, then all is mellow once more. Up with the brew to the lips we go again…and it hits the same. Generous blast of hop, terrific drinka---CONSUMability. Down it goes, happy all the way. Orange and lemon, peach and pomegranate. Grapefruit and mango. Little bitter, little sweet, hoppy all the way up and down.
Medium body, medium finish. A bit creamy in the end, making for a perfectly sessionable IPA. I'd be a happy Nebraskan with this.
One more Lucky Bucket brew to go. Can't wait.

feloniousmonk, Jun 27, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

from 12 oz bottle

A- pours a slight hazed copper color with a 2 finger head that recedes to a nice collar with good lacing

S-malty and citrus hops some baked bread

T- is a caramel and malt forward ipa with a with some floral hops. a tad bit bitter

M- medium carbonation some what bitter with a crisp finish

O- just an average ipa in an ocean of great one on the market..its a well made ipa its just not one i would reach for ...with so so many others available

gatornation, Jun 22, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- pours a dark straw color, with a thin white head that retains nicely and leaves a gorgeous amount of lacing around my glass.

Smell- Very floral, and citrusy, very intriguing.

Taste- not good. hoppy, floral, but a bad, strange aftertaste. I'm an IPA fan so I'm used to a strong hoppy aftertaste, but theres something here, that I don't quite like.

Overall- Finishes high in all categories except taste. Looks beautiful, smells beautiful, tastes awful. And if a beer tastes terribly, then none of the other qualities matter.

PokerGod, Jun 22, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle into pint glass
A – Massive head did not allow me to pour the whole bottle into the pint, left nice lacing as it settled. Appears quite carbonated, a hazy amber color 4
S – Caramel toasted malts and grassy hops with a slight citrus 3.5
T – Citrus upfront, to a slight caramel sweetness, pine and bitter dry-ish finish, hops all the way through. A decent IPA 3.5
M – Carbonation appeared as if it may be overdone, but it was actually right on and balanced with a resiny brew, light to medium body 4.5
O – I really enjoyed the mouthfeel on this beer, worth a try for any hop-head. A drinkable IPA but lacking for me in what I seek out of an IPA… dare I say this needs a bit more malt balance? A good IPA but I won’t seek it out 4

rsdaugherty, May 25, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -36%

Prelude: So I have a nice symbiotic trading relationship with a beer drinking buddy, his wife got him a beer of the month thing where he gets 3 bottles of each of 4 new beers each month (2 are domestic "craft" beers, 2 are imports). 12 bottles total. He saves 1 of each for me and I, in return, give him 2 bombers of different homebrews. So I get to try 4 new beers a month, sadly most rate a "B" here and this one really should be lower than that.

Rating: I could not resist opening the IPA first (others were a Brown Ale from Michigan Brewing - very good!, a stout from Jamaica, and a Pilsner from Germany) as I love hops.

Appearance was fairly amber with a nice head.

Aroma was merely ok not a lot of clearly discernible hops, but still no off flavors. I looked but could not find a "best by" or "bottled on" date. So maybe it was muted by age.

Taste was where I knew the beer was a failure, there was an off flavor that was not merely that of older hops or oxidation, more like an astringent flavor possibly suggesting an infection or possibly some weird hop utilization (non-full boil jammed full of hops then watered down?). Hard to tell where the hop bitterness ended and this astringent/off flavor began. Like a bad home brew. I finished it but then I rarely drain pour. Put me in mind of another failure I was moved to review (the Tule Duck beer in cans from NV).

Mouthfeel and drinkability were similarly compromised by the taste issue. I should add that it had a fairly carmely/malty flavor for an IPA, usually not my preference, but at least the sweet malt partly masked the off flavor.

Gilmango, May 18, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle from the beer of the month club.

It pours hazy amber, really a good looking beer in the glass, with a good head and some decent lacing. Noise starts with huge citrus and pineapple aroma. Starts with the citrus and has some sweet matliness to it. Finished with some hoppy bitterness you would expect from an IPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nice. This is a refreshing brew for the summertime.

mizzouguy, May 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Amber in color.

S - Flowery with hops and sweet notes.

T - Smooth with hop, spices, and flowery flavors, which I don’t usually like, but this was very well balanced. The 2nd bottle seemed to have more hops, but may have been the change in food parings.

M - Smooth throughout, started slowly, flavors built, and then trailed off nicely. No real after taste.

O - I was really surprised the first time at the balance and great flavors. The second bottled lacked the same balance, but still had great flavor that you don’t find in ever over hopped IPA. I felt like I could drink a six-pack not just a few. A great one to try if you are in Nebraska or as in my case, you get it in a beer of the month shipment. Go Buffs!

bobutt, May 10, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy amber with a a white heads that melds into a thin white collar.

S - Grapefruit, pineapple, orange bitter/sweet, centennial and cascade hops showing, sweet pale malt. Floral woody hop resin surrounding the sides of the glass.

T - Tropical bitterness off the top, pineapple bitter, nice toasted pale malt with notes of caramel, a grapefruit sweetness takes over the the sides of tongue, finishes with a mouth swarming bittering fruit flavor. Finishes with a mix of caramel and strawberry type fruit.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium bodied, a tad too much carbonation.

Great IPA here. Great malt backbone with plenty of flavorfull and bittering hops to back it up. Very balanced with a great hop profile. Excellent!

StaveHooks, May 10, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

I got this beer from AlexFields. Thanks Alex!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazy rust color with a off-white head that settled to a thick layer leaving a sheet of lacing on the glass.

S - oily hop resin aroma.

T - good balance of malt and hops but it's just a little thin tasting.

F - medium bodied but the feel is somewhat thin.

O - a decent IPA

JoeyBeerBelly, May 06, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A - slightly hazy (from bottle conditioning) orange color with a thick off-white head that is very well retained

S - strong, but balanced sweet caramel malt with spicy and citrus-like hop accents

T - strong assertive citrus hop flavor from start to finish (centennials?) with supportive malt sweetness that is fairly simple in nature; slight fruity yeast esters

M - medium-full body with moderately high carbonation

O - Overall, this is a decent IPA from an unexpected location. The malt and hop are somewhat one-dimensional, but are in balance with what is expected of the style. I don't know if I'd go out of my way for it, but I wouldn't turn it down and if I was out Omaha way would definitely enjoy sucking down this local brew.

scoobybrew, May 04, 2011

I got this as part of a BOTMC, I poured into a SA perfect pint. The color is a honey amber, huge, sticky, white head. The aroma has lots of pine, citrus. The flavor has a nice mix of pine and citrus, lingering finish. The body is medium, slightly sticky mouthfeel. A solid IPA, very nice all around.

bonkers, May 04, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +21.3%

Got this as an extra from grownfool in our excellent trade-- Thanks man!
Poured into tulip pint (my go to glass for IPAs!)

Wow. The head on this thing rose a solid finger ABOVE the rim of the glass... And it held on tight. Not a drop was lost. It was thick and foamy, huge bubbles around the edges with microbubbles in the middle. It reminds me of a root beer float-- at least in terms if head. The body is slightly hazy coppery orange that really glows when backlit. The creamy tan head is frothy, and as it subsides the giant bubbles disappear leaving a thick froth-- almost looks like it was served on nitro! Pretty decent lacing to boot! The color is a tad darker than I like, but this is a great looking beer nonetheless. The retention is damn nice.

If the color can be any indication, I'd guess this has a decent amount of malt... Mmmmm... Nice strong backbone of caramel malt. The hops are here too-- grapefruit mostly, perhaps a little orange peel. The flavor is just as I'd hoped-- sweet caramel malt with an assertive hop profile of citrus notes that dries it out and keeps it refreshing through and through. Very strong bitterness at the finish, but doesn't linger too long... That makes this a great brew to drink.

I can't detect any alcohol on this one, so couple that with a nice medium body and carbonation, and I'd say we have a winner.

If I lived in Nebraska, I'd be proud. Well done gentlemen. I'll be happy to drink this again, anytime.

AleWatcher, Apr 22, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Slight haze, golden bodied, sizeable head sticks to the glass. Light sweet malts and a floral hop aroma on the nose. Light malt front, could be just a touch bigger but still good, followed by a nice piney floral hop. Medium bodied, pretty wet with a bit of sharpness. Pretty run of the mill IPA, which means its good.

Tballz420, Apr 17, 2011

Really nice. Came in my Beer of the Month April 2011 box (thanks to BA's ad-banner).

Similar to but better than Sierra's Pale Ale and a lot less hops-acid loaded, and more balanced.

A= golden, active carbonation, nice off-white head.

S= plentiful floral hops primarily of the spicy west-coast variety, decent sweet malts.

T= decent bready malts, a nice blend of floral hops, some grapefruit but not overbalanced in that direction. Decent carbonation, not overdone and it settles down nicely.

M= bitters, malts, hops florals to savor.

O= overall a rather decent entry in the craft IPA market, sessionable. If I lived near the brewery's area I'd probably consider this to be my standard IPA.

therica, Apr 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

383rd review on BA
bottle to pint
12 oz

Tavern on the square, Lincoln, NE

App- A dark hazy orane with a nice two finger fluffy head. A little bit of cling on the glass.

Smell- Big spicy hops were the first thing and then malts come secondary. Was very for a smaller IPA

Taste- The flavors fall off a little bit on the taste. The malts are more forward on the drink then nose and the hops fall off a bit as well.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation level. A little bit of a flatter grapefruit malt residual feel.

Drink- Decent is key word. This bar didn't have too many IPAs to go for and actually I think this was 1 of 2.

FosterJM, Apr 10, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Pours a darker, hazy gold. Thick white head that recedes to a soapy film. Lots of lacing around the glass. Good looking beer.

S: Sweet malts, bitter hops. Piney, grassy, herbal. Not very aromatic. Pleasent smell, just hard to pick up.

T: Sweet bready malts start off and quickly give way to bitter hops. Bitter over powers the sweet in this one. Pine, grass, floral and herbal hops...not a lot of citrus if any. Semi-spicy, bitter finish. Not bad.

M: Bitter and dry, but smooth.

O: Easy drinking IPA if you don't mind bitter...not filling, not bad. Will probably pick this up again at some point down the line. Would feel comfortable recommending this to most IPA fans.

titosupertramp, Mar 19, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle, no date to be found but assured to be fresh by the distributor.

Pours very hazy orange/amber with a large pillowy off-white head that leaves tree rings of lacing and maintains a persistent foamy cap.

Aroma is strong on citrus rind and pine, oranges, pineapple, some grassy and floral notes, a bit of caramel malt. Good to very good strength.

Flavor is citrus rind, resinous hops, pine, good caramel malt backbone with mild sweetness, finishes with good lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily, medium to high carbonation.

An excellent IPA with all the qualities that I love...hazy, pungent, bitter. I'm impressed.

elgiacomo, Mar 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A - poured on tap at Lucky Bucket Brewery tour. Dark amber/coppery color. Leaves a solid head.

S - very hoppy w/ some citrus notes. Not a huge IPA fan, but the aroma wasn't too overwhelming for me.

T - again, solid hops. Not nearly as hoppy as some other IPA's I've tried, which I actually liked. Citrus undertones.

M - nice and smooth, good carbonation. Easy drinking.

D - As I said, I'm not a huge IPA fan, but I could definitely drink a few of these brews. Overall, a solid beer.

lawlerj, Mar 05, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

A new addition to the state so I grabbed a sixer on my latest beer run to give it a shot...

Pours into my New Belgium globe really nice and looks pretty good... Nice foamy persistent head and lots of active carbonation.. Looks and seems pretty fresh...

Big nose of grapefruit peel and what I think might be a bit of orange rind... Whatever, it's definitely a citrus-first IPA... Quite pungent on the nose as well... I'm pleasantly surprised with this so far... Actually reminds me of Two Hearted or the IPA from Sweetwater which are two of my favorites..

Well, there is a definite citrusy grapefruit taste to the hop characteristics in this beer but more than anything the bittering hops seem to dominate and drown out all of the flavors and leave this one a bit short of the previous offerings I mentioned... It begins as a pleasant citrus flavor and bitterness and turns sharply south to an astringent aspirin-like bitterness and finish that has me double-taking here...

Tried 3 different bottles of this one and got the same results from everyone of them... A good effort that falls, unfortunately, a bit short in a world full of IPAs...

Tilley4, Feb 28, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pried off the twist-top on this 12oz bottle poured into Duvel Green tulip. Big thanks to roosevelt25 for the extra!

A: Pours a clear burnt amber with an insanely fluffy light tan head that took forever to fade into a dense oily film that looked like almost-melted vanilla ice-cream. I could not ask for better rocking lacing either.
S: Nose is full of hops that smell both sweet and fresh. I get mostly citrus, tangerine actually, but there is some grapefruit pith as well.
T: As many great smelling IPAs are, this doesn't taste as good as the nose. Flavors are much more malty that the nose suggested, and the bitter grapefruit pith really dominates the hop flavor. Finish is leafy, almost tea like, and bitter.
M: Carbonation fluffs up on the palate with each sip; body is medium and the mouthfeel is slightly astringent.
D: I really liked the look and smell of this one but the taste is just a little too rough around the edges for me to love. It's good, but it could use some polishing. That's again for the extra!

scottfrie, Feb 28, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

No date, but looked like it hadn't been on the shelf long. Cap is on super tight.

A: A brownish amber, very clear, but too dark. The head is almost porter like, but very rich, thick and creamy. A little active carbonation, so I'll give it a 4

S: No one dominant traditional hop aroma here, but it is hoppy. A solid caramel malt comes through. It smells cooked, overall. It's very different. Not a classic amazing IPA smell, but very good. 4.5

T: The malt falls away here, and it's a harsher hoppiness, more like what I remember being afraid of and not liking when I started drinking craft beer. This definitely needs a bit of a malt boost and a more rounded, pinier hop profile.

M: Too thin, but good carbonation.

D: Drinkable, not amazing, but good. It needs some depth to it for sure. Not the beer I hoped it would be.

mdwalsh, Feb 20, 2011

We were going to have an Omaha weekend with a brewery tour on the agenda but a snowstorm canceled those plans, so I went ahead and picked up some LB bottles. I'm glad I did.

My perfect pour glass was filled with a hazy dark copper brew with two fingers of white head on top. The foam stayed for a long time and left some crazy rings on the way down like decending layers of sedimentary rock in the grand canyon. The aroma was hoppy with a touch of citrus. The taste was a nice level of hop with citrus and a hints of floral and perhaps cinammon. The body is right where it should be for the style. It doesn't require choking down but the hops leave their mark. I'd definitely get this one again.

DesMoinesMike, Jan 18, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint. Here we go:

A - Pours a dark gold with a two finger head. Great retention and lacing, better than I was expecting.

S - floral hops, a touch of citrus

T - Hop-forward, a little lacking in the malt backbone, some smokiness...overall pretty tasty.

M - Smooth, low on carbonation

D - Yeah, I'd have a couple of these. Pretty good brew.

First Lucky Bucket beer I've had, I'll try more from them.

in780, Dec 03, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

12 oz bottle, no best by date

Pours a classic, coppery colored beer with a nice 2 fingered head that retains throuhgout.

The aroma is welcoming; classic floral and citrus notes coming through

Taste is allright. The hop bitterness is good and I can taste the citrusy hop but not as much as was expected from the aroma....something else really dominates the palate...Like a nutmeg flavor coming through, kinda remings me of a very hoppy wintery ale...It's not bad though, easy drinking.

I'd recommend it, a nice local Nebraska beer.

Adamthome1, Dec 01, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours an amber-orange color with a 1 and 1/2 inch head on top at first. This dies down to a 1/4 inch head, but lasts for the whole beer. A good lace follows along the sides.

S: Melon and tangerine fruitiness with backgrounds of citrus zest. Some grapefruit notes too. Caramel malts are definitely there too. Good aromas all around, but it finishes just a little lighter on the aroma than I like in my IPAs.

T: Some fruity flavors including orange, tangerine and grapefruit. Some grassiness as well. A little musk melon in the aftertaste. The caramel malts add a reasonable caramel flavor to the beer. They also seem to add just a touch of honey flavor. The bitterness is ample enough to balance everything out without being too harsh. Overall, all the flavors are nice, but nothing stands out too much compared to other IPAs.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty smooth and creamy for an IPA. Finishes a little too sweet for my tastes. I like my IPAs on the drier end. The carbonation is a little on the lighter end.

D: A pretty good IPA. Nothing epic, but nothing bad. I'd drink it again, but in a ever growing sea of great IPAs, this is in the middle of the pack.

brewdoc75, Nov 25, 2010
IPA from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.