OMB Copper - The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery

The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Altbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: AlexJ on 04-29-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of OMB Copper Alström Bros
Ratings: 313 | Reviews: 80
4.05/5  rDev 0%

I really enjoyed this brew from OMB. It is their flagship and I truly believe it is their best offering. It pours a good strong copper color with a yellowish white head. It has a great scent of floral hops and hints of caramel. It has a slight bitterness and a great smooth body. Very drinkable. A really decent beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

This is my first time rating this but I've killed several growlers of this. I typically pick up a growler of this every time I am in Charlotte. Poured from the growler into my a int glass

A - Clear copper color with a shade away from white head on top.

S - Light lager malt aroma mingles with a light noble hop aroma.

T - A crisp malt flavor mingles with a light noble hop bitterness. The malt really shines in this giving a pleasant aftertaste. Slightly sweet but not much. A really nice well balanced lager

M - crisp light to medium bodied with a standard amount of carbonation

D - I could put this back all day. It is so easy to go through a whole growler of this while watching a football game. If you love a good lager then this is for you. I know I will pick this up again and again.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap in the Olde Mecklenburg tap room

Pours an orange/copper color with lots of nearly red highlights. About three fingers worth of off white/tan head that with good retention. Not much lacing.

Aroma is dominated by sweet caramel malts. A slight earthy smell is lingering in the background. As the beer warms you can start to catch hints of a very subdued hoppy aroma.

Very clean and crisp, sweet, malty flavors are most dominant. A slight hint of hops becomes noticable as the beer warms. Nicely carbinated. All in all this is a good beer, and coming in under 5% makes it very sessionable. The only complaint that I have is that, while it is very good, it seems as though there should be a little more to it.

A very enjoyable Alt. Good stuff

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Being the local option at a nice restaurant in Uptown Charlotte, I was interested to sample what Olde Mecklenburg has to offer.

The first thing I notice is the rich, copper-amber color that is provides a good start, but as the ale nearly fills the entire glass (thanks for the overpour, I guess?), there is room for only a thin, foamy head that receded within a matter of minutes. The aroma is weak at first, so I must have looked like a pretentious beer snob to the rest of the restaurant crowd as I strained to sniff any discernible characteristic out of my pint glass. What I was able to eventually identify was merely a crisp graininess with a touch of sweetness. This one is similarly mild on flavor, with only the subtle sweetness on top of a bed of grains.

Where this one lacks in flavor, it at least somewhat makes up for it in texture and finish. Crisp and nicely carbonated, the Copper serves almost as a palate cleanser with how clean it finishes. Overall, certainly not the most complex or adventurous beer, but this one is inoffensive and easy to drink, making it highly drinkable although also highly forgettable.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1st review on BeerAdvocate.

pours light brown orange color depending on light angle.

a light smell of bread, caramel.

medium body with flavors of bread, caramel, yeast, and a copperish flavor ( i tried to eat a penny when i was a kid, i know, dumb).

This is currently in my top 3 favorite beers and always fresh since i only live 30 minutes from the brewery, lucky me!

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

The pour is a dark copper/red with a good two finger head that slowly dissapated and left an incredible lace on the glass from top to bottom.

The smell was quite malty upfront with slight apricot tones in the rear of the nose.

The drink was a kick of hops up front, with a sweet and heavy malt in the middle and a crisp clean finish with little or no aftertaste.

All and all a great beer that is well worth a try. On a side note I did pick up a growler of this beer while at the brewery that I will be reviewing in the next few days.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

This is the second beer I am reviewing from Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. Due to a stint in Germany during the 1990s, one of the owners has a passion for German style beers, which is what the brewery exclusively focuses on. Copper is an Albier, which basically just means that it is beer made the old fashion way. In fact, the Reinheitsgebot is posted on the tap room wall and mentioned with pride during the tour of the brewing area.

This beer is the only year-round offering at OMB, and definitely my favorite. Top fermentation process idendifies is more closely to ale, which I prefer. It has a great dark brown color, strong malt and yeast smell, and well-rounded, nutty flavor. The obvious strong suit of this beer is the freshness. It is very easy to drink at 4.8%, and is advertised by the staff as a session beer.

If you live in the Charlotte area, you have to try Copper from Olde Mecklenburg Brewery.

3.02/5  rDev -25.4%

Mediocre at best. Maybe just not my type of beer

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a nice copper color (as the name implies) with a pretty sturdy off-white head. The head dissipates rather quickly leaving a thin layer of bubbles on top.

The smell is a nice mix of biscuity grain with a solid nutty backbone. It's a very clean, fresh smell, and definitely invites you to have a sip.

The taste is pretty thin...a light non-descript malted graininess, with a sweet underpinning. There is a faint hoppiness, but a very mild one at that (true to style). Overall, just not a whole lot here. It's not a bad flavor, but I was looking for a little more punch.

The shining point on this brew is the drinkability. It goes down very smooth with a very pleasant palatability. I could certainly have a number of these in one sitting. It would be nice to have these in bottles, because they would be great to crack open at a summer cookout.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

This is truly a great beer. Charlotte has a lot of German businesses located there--and on any weekend, you will find a few Germans at the Old Meck brew-pub...it's that good. Well balanced, malt to hops, with a clean finish. I've had Düsseldorf natives tell me its exactly right for the style, and I believe it.

The American CEO and head brewer is a water purification expert, and spent 4 years living in Germany...and his plant was set up by a German brewer. They also have a high-tech growler-filling machine--which makes their growlers last for weeks and weeks....

Anyway, if you want to know good German beer, try anything by Old Meck!

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

The benefits of being local are abundant. But, if truth be told this is not the best beer in Charlotte. It's everywhere to be sure, and it's got some decent characteristics. Most prominently: it's drinkable. But, then again, all 4.8% beers are more or less drinkable. The appearance is copper to be sure. The smell, missed it. The taste was good. The mouthfeel was pretty thin, like most altbiers. Overall, if this weren't a local beer with a great presence in the Queen City, it would an afterthought. Not sure that they can expand outside of Charlotte.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This amazing Altbier or brown ale, caught my attention just for being different, i was(am) new to Mecklenburg and not expecting alot gave it a shot. What i got, was an amazing beer one of the best I have had and also a member of a brewery i look forward to exploring. Its dark red appearance really lets you know your drinking a great beer, while its smell is not strong I will happily overlook this factor. Its mouth feel is amazing, probably the best of any beer i have head to date and it really tastes great. This beer is great, and when I have friends from my home area (CT) come visit, i will make sure they have a OMB Copper of there own to try.

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Pour revealed a clear medium copper colored beer, with a nice off-white long lasting head.

S: Aroma brought forth a nice combination of malt sweetness and light hop aroma, that invites you take a taste, or three.

T: Firm upfront bitterness that's followed by a balanced malt sweetness, then ending with a lingering palette pleasing dry bitterness. It's not the most bitter Alt I've tasted, but most people have a odd view that Düsseldorf Alt's must be brutally bitter. If you've ever been to Düsseldorf, you know this is not the case.

M: Medium light mouth feel that dances on your tongue, which is clean and crisp, displaying the qualities expected from this type of beer.

Overall impression: I perfect example of the style. The combination of hop bitterness and malt sweetness would please even the most demanding resident of Düsseldorf. Great job OMB! I wonder why I'm a weekly visitor?

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tried this beer twice. The first one might've been an old batch because it was kinda sour but the last one I had taste great. It was malty with a nice semi sweet finish. I'll definitely be drinking more of these in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Being a local I have had this beer many times and figured I should review it. Reviewed on draft at Mac's Steele Creek, poured into a pint glass.

A: Brilliantly clear copper color with a nice 2 finger head.

S: Smells of sweet, toasted malts with some light chocolate, perfectly balaced with a kiss of noble hops. Very light sulfer in the background, but not of flaw by any means.

T: Perfect. The words balaced, crisp and clean come to mind immediately. Every time I have this beer I am more and more impressed by just how perfectly balanced it is. Subtle and refined.

M: Medium carbonation with a medium-light body.

O: What else can I say? This is one of my favorite beers. Always fresh, always tasty and always easy drinking. OMB is doing it right.

Poured from a growler dated 6/27 (7/2 as of this post).

Beer poured a golden amber with a fair amount of a cream colored head.
My nose seems to pick up some light citrus notes, definitely malty with a slight hint of unroasted nuts.
Taste is very refreshing with good carbonation. Again definite hints of malt and citrus with a good contrast to hop bitterness. Great lacing across the glass as I am downing it.
Mouthfeel is very nice, good full coating without seeming heavy or syrupy. Able to envelop your entire mouth and leaves a nice sweet/bitter hop aftertaste.

Definitely a beer I will be having again. A great beer to sit down and enjoy after a hard day out in the blazing sun. Very refreshing and overall a great tasting beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Served on tap at McCormick & Schmick's , South Park, in a Pilsner style glass.
A - Bold copper color, lively with effervescence. Moderate, short lived, cream colored head with minimal lacing.
N - Rich, quality maltiness on the nose. Subtle citrus & hop aromas.
T - Rich maltiness again on the tongue. Very smooth with faint bitterness from the hops. Authentic Bavarian style.
M - Outstanding mouthfeel. Smooth & well balanced with a pleasant after-taste. Very distinctive in a positive way.

Overall, I would summarize the OMB Copper as an excellent representation of the style. It is highly drinkable, on its own, or paired with a variety of foods. Congratulations to the brewers; keep up the good work!

Wow...perfection in a glass! What a superb Altbier...super complex for such an easy drinker

4.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Absolutely one the best brews ever recreated. If you live anywhere near Charlotte, you must come try OMB Copper.

Just returned from the brewery with one growler of Mecklenburger, one Copper, and one Dunkel !

The Copper pours a nut brown color with a stiff head that sticks to your glass. Presents caramel biscuits with underlying notes of dates/raisins.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Good beer for a standby when the selection is limited. Very tasty

4.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice copper color with a creamy white head that laces down the glass as it is consumed.

S - Nice malty aroma with a hint of bittering hops.

T - Can I just say awsome. It does vary from week to week when I get my growlers refilled but it is a great symbol of the style. The bitterness is not at the extreme end of the style guideline but is a perfect balance with the malt flavors that come thru.

M - Clean and crisp. Nice lager like qualities.

D - Need I say more? I go back week after week for growler refills. Very drinkable.

3.22/5  rDev -20.5%

A. Copper. Not much head lingering around

S. Metallic but not strong. Fairly unoffensive and unimpressive.

T. It tastes like it's labeled. Very very metallic. Even the aftertaste is metal. Not sure if it is the hops used or what but is overly "copper" in taste.

M. Great mouthfeel. Light and crisp.

D. Its easy to drink despite it's pitfalls. The atmosphere of their taproom is good and it is easy to stick around and kill these beers. Nit a bad session beer if you can get over the metallic taste.

3.05/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not really my type of beer so I'll say that first. I truly feel it's a bit overrated. Looks great. Taste is....meh. I've had better.

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

I was recently in the Charlotte, NC area for a wedding so I figured I would seek out a local brewery to give it a try. I discovered the Old Mecklenburg Brewery. This brewery had four beers on tap, of which the OMB Copper was my favorite.

This is an Altbier style brew. Amber in color, hence the "copper" name. It has a medium body, and goes down quite smoothly.

After sampling the beers on tap I purchased a growler of OMB Copper to enjoy back at the hotel. The beer has a good flavor and color, however nothing about this beer really wowed me. It was good, don't get me wrong, however there wasn't anything super special about it to make it stand out from the crowd.

All in all a good local brewery with some good beers, however OMB Copper is not anything I would go out of my way to try. If you happen to be in the Charlotte, NC it is worth a tasting, but other than that I wouldn't bother.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this beer in a growler years ago and then more recently on draft. Agree with the over reviewers that this beer is an underutilized and underappreciated style, German Altbier. It was one of their first beers and definitely a winner. Very clear and an excellent example.

OMB Copper from The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery