Mecktoberfest - The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery

The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 09-08-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mecktoberfest Alström Bros

lateralusbeer, Jul 24, 2014

ColBlooded, Feb 26, 2014

jbarbou9, Jul 11, 2012

Joeybland, Nov 18, 2011

Ik_hou_van_bier, Nov 03, 2012

FarmerTed, Dec 16, 2013

jeffkissel, Sep 13, 2013

I noted the serving type as 'bottle' but my real love of this beer is on draft, but alas, it's gone. But still available in bottles where you can find it.

I was absolutely blown away by this incredibly accurate version of a German Marzen style Oktoberfest beer. The wonderful malty nose and the subtle use of hops leads to a beer that is balanced to the malt side in ways that I have never ever tasted from a US brewery. Obvious use of all German ingredients brings forth a richness that rivals, and in my opinion, is as good or better than true German versions. Makes me wish that fall would last forever.

brewcnc, Nov 27, 2011

Chando, Jul 06, 2014
4.96/5  rDev +17.8%

Aaroncj72, Oct 03, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Just had this beer at the tapping for 2010 a couple days ago. I believe this is the 1st review for the 2010 version of this beer.

OUTSTANDING rendition of Munich's classic Maerzen beer. I was literally with a bunch of Bavarians at OMB's brewery at the tapping, when we had mugs and mugs (and mugs) of this beer. The unfiltered was the best...but, that's not generally available (and we killed the keg in 32 minutes). The standard filtered 2010 version is reviewed here.

Great appearance, light colored for an (American) Oktoberfest style--and of course beautifully transparent, with no haze, and a substantial head. Leaves lace all the way down on your glass as you drink it.

Smells great, malty and crisp, just like my Bavarian friends (and I) like it.

Taste is about perfect for the style. Not overly malty--as I've noticed it typical of American craft-brew Oktoberfest styles--but neither is it hoppy--which is completely wrong for this style, just enough hops to give a crisp, non-cloying finish.

Mouthfeel is also excellent, not watery, but neither syrupy (like most American Oktoberfest beers tend toward...).

VERY drinkable, like most German beers. Maerzen should be the ultimate session beer, as folks drink it with friends at table...(Stammtisch!) for as LONG a time as possible. The day after the tapping I was again with a group of over 100 Germans (not just Bavarians) and they also quickly killed the keg of this beer (with NO complaints...says a lot for Germans...).

Do yourself a favor if you are in the Charlotte region, TRY THIS BEER!!!

AnalogReigns, Sep 05, 2010

Stargazer2892, Jul 15, 2014

crawdadwilly74, Oct 31, 2012
4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my beer of 2013. I haven't had a better, more perfect example of a style than OMB's Mecktoberfest. I've had other beers this year in which I might order over this beer just due to my preference, but this is a beer that outshines all others for the style, and I order at least one pint anytime I see it at a restaurant.

JohnMays, Sep 19, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Ericmilatz, Sep 20, 2014

vancean2, Sep 28, 2014

GFish, Oct 22, 2012

On-tap at the brewery (October 2011):

Appeared a very nice darker amber color with a very nice off-white, creamy 2 to 3 finger head that was well retained throughout the entire beer.

The beer gave off a nice, deep toasted malt aroma and perhaps a hint of toffee sweetness.

The taste of the beer is exceptional. This is what I imagined a marzen to taste like. The beer had a bready, malty sweetness to it, balanced well with some light hops. The taste was full with an excellent aftertaste.

The beer had a medium body to it, was extremely smooth and extremely easy to drink. I put down two before I even knew it. This is an outstanding brew. If you like this style or beer you should try this one.

PhillyStyle, Nov 08, 2011

StateMech, Jan 21, 2012

Rymar9, Oct 01, 2012

lebriarjr, Aug 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Maybe it was me, maybe it was the beer. But this is the best Oktoberfest beer I have had. At least this year.

Color: Dark caramel foamy head which remained pretty consistent.

Smell: Caramel, nice sweet bready aroma.

The flavor is there which is nice, beyond the vapid typical Oktoberfest. The caramel is there, but not overpowering. Clean. Finally a clean tasting Marzen without too much of the cloying nasty almost artificial caramel flavors.

Overall: Easily the best Oktoberfest I have had. The price was not bad either. I paid more than most, but really it was only a buck more than the Great Lakes version, which to me is a huge disappointment based upon the reviews.

humuloner22, Sep 21, 2014