Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Winter Solstice Seasonal AleWinter Solstice Seasonal Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale Alström Bros

1.35/5  rDev -65.2%

Tried a bottle of this back in Sept. of '09. The colour was a ruddy amber with a thick head. The aroma was quite funky, and I don't mean that in a good way! There were smells akin to my compost bin,and that can't be good! On the palate, it tastes like my compost bin drippings might taste!! Is this a bad bottle?! I can't imagine that the folks at A.V. Brewing would make something this heinous!

1.5/5  rDev -61.3%

1.83/5  rDev -52.8%

*2005 edition

Well, usually I go through the whole process, but this beer was so shockingly bad I'm not going to bother. It looks pretty good, a deep amber, decent head, but slides down the hill after that. Smells like malted vanilla. It tastes like a weak, thin red ale with about four tablespoons of artificial vanilla flavoring dumped in. Cloyingly sweet, bland, thin, one-dimensional mess. I cannot believe this came out of Anderson Valley. I love you guys, but you're KILLING me with this one. Two words -- drain pour.

1.95/5  rDev -49.7%

I'll go back and try this one again, but this bottle is awful. It's extremely sweet and tastes a bit like a terrible, buttery gingerbread cookie. I'm trying to figure out what people like about it, but there's enormous sweet note in the finish that's turning my stomach. It reminds me of Shiner's terrible Holiday Cheer - there's almost a peach/apricot note in the sweetness. It tastes like there's an ok winter warmer underneath the bizarre sweet fruit notes, but it's a stretch for me to say anything positive here. More than anything, it tastes like a terrible flavored cola, Vanilla Coke or something. Actually, I think that the terrible flavor might be more vanilla than fruit. Either way, it's not to my liking. Hopefully, this is just a funny bottle. I will try it again soon.

1.98/5  rDev -49%

Pours reddish brown, nice tan head with good lacing. Aroma is quite nice - vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel in there. Flavor is heavy on the vanilla and butterscotch, and cloyingly sweet. I had trouble finishing this, hoping it would get better as it got warmer, but that didn't happen.
Probably not something I would try again.

2.1/5  rDev -45.9%

The smell is awesome - cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and everything nice. Pretty stoked to sip it!
Hmm, tastes way too sweet. I don't drink soda, but this tastes like what I remember a cream soda tasted like. I've heard nothing but praise for this brewery and believe what I hear, but this still tastes like artificial flavors were added. Very faint piney hops, vanilla, white wine that’s been sitting out uncorked for a while, and honey.
Definitely a dessert beer, but even then, this is way too sweet for me.

2.2/5  rDev -43.3%

Color is a translucent amber with a small cap.
Aroma is caramel, spices and cherry, and does not really go well together.
The flavors are also an odd mixture composed of the notes mentioned in the aroma, and i cant tell if something is off or just how it normally tastes, but its not very enjoyable. It has a slightly astringent feel.

No bueno.

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

It's a gorgeous reddish orange color with an off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly. No lacing. Not very strong in the aroma department, I did pick up some malts, but no hops or spices. Flavor of alcohol, caramel malts, and some faint notes of brown sugar and vanilla. Light to medium bodied. The taste of alcohol is very strong in the finish and it lingers along with some sweetness.

I didn't like this beer because of the alcohol. It was the primary flavor I tasted, was present in the finish--and it lingered. Everyone seems to love this beer but me. But it is what it is.

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.4/5  rDev -38.1%

Ruby red in color with a thick tan head that left good lacing. The aroma is malty, caramely, maple and brown sugar, and spice. The flavor is sweet, and again I get the maple syrup, and spices like nutmeg? ginger? It is a full-bodied beer, with an unusual spice flavor that just did not work for me. It was sort of drying and powdery at the end of each sip, like powder spices were poured into my glass. I didn’t find this very drinkable, in fact I gave the rest of my glass to STUBOB. I was disappointed in this one; the spice combo just didn’t work for me in this beer. I will pass on this one again.

2.42/5  rDev -37.6%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium head on an orange/amber/copper body. There's some sort of nasty funk in the smell...overpowers everything else. Slightly bitter, a touch sweet, maybe maple syrup. Too fizzy. The funk and fizziness were big turnoffs. May have to try another to see if that funk was a fluke.

Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company