Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Winter Solstice Seasonal AleWinter Solstice Seasonal Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

A real nice off caramel very light white head, foamy about a good solid three fingers on the pour. Body is a gorgeous dark ruby and clear garnet with no rising carbonation. Looks real nice love this color.

Nose is a noticeable malt that goes in a very mild grass smelling sense. Slight spices, but mostly just a nice malt sensation.

Taste is a wonderful mix of chocolate and malt and mild spices. I it is almost as if drinking milk chocolate with this big noticeable whipped up chocolate sense. Chocolate angle brings out some mild nut, and I got that warm boozy sense in my stomach. Light spice of nutmeg in the middle. Mouthfeel is perfectly fine nothing to rave about or fault.

Overall I am real impressed with this one. It almost feels like drinking powderer cocoa mix with a slight hint of booze. Not even highly sweet either. Just great!

smakawhat, Oct 30, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

I really like some Anderson beers, but not all of them. This goes in the like column. It is a unique winter beer with just a hint of some kind of fruit and little or no spice.

On top of a very clean appearance we have a very smooth drinking beer. The aftertaste kicks in without too much kick or any nasty feel. It has a little bitterness without any in your face hops taste, which would be inappropriate. I would buy this again when I wanted a winter warmer that wasn't spicy or too sweet.

schoolboy, Oct 29, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Dark amber color, not much head at all.Smells quite malty and alcoholic but doesn't really impress me much.Tastes like caramel, cream soda, nuts, malts, a bit of alcohol easily fits what I know of the style. Overall, not bad but not one I feel a need to revisit.

ArrogantB, Oct 16, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This is a great looking beer, it's ruby in color with a nice light tan head that sports mostly large bubbles and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: This is one malty beer; on the nose I get that caramel, with a tad of chocolate and some nice herbal/spice quality to it that I can't identify.

T: Upfront I get all that caramel that came in through the smell. It is followed by a nice toasted oats note and a kind of burnt flavor leads into a dry finish.

M: Seems a bit high on the carbonation and comes with a medium body on the full side. As said before, it finishes dry - nice overall.

D: This drinks nicely, the alcohol is something that I can taste a lithe bit, but it isn't bothersom at all.

tlazaroff, Oct 16, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

This brew poured out as a nice clear but dark lookin red color with a fizzy tan head on top. The head settles and laces the glass pretty well. The smell of the beer was pretty normal for a winter brew, had some light spices on the nose and a touch of sweetness. The taste of the beer reminded me a little of a weak barley wine or something. Spicy hops and some sweet malts but it just seemed a little light to me. The mouthfeel wasn't too bad, it had a semi thick feel to it which is nice around the colder months. Overall not a bad brew, enjoyable.

Knapp85, Oct 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Merry Christmas in July!

A-slightly transparent dark reddish amber with a thin cream colored head

S-smells like wood chips and nice sweet caramel. medium to good strength

T-comes in with a decent taste of wood and vanilla. it reminds me of a cream soda actually. the taste fades slowly. the after-taste is a weak match of the initial taste.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is actually very tasty. it reminds me of a stronger version of the summer solstice. i could definitely drink a lot of this, though i don't think it makes a good winter warmer. it is way too light bodied.

AdamBear, Jul 23, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

( 34/50, 6.9% alc/vol, Home, right after work) Amber color, opaque and red with a thin yellow flame at its bottom. The service head dissappears rather quickly, and no aparent carbonation to maintain it. Delicious nose of paprika, cloves, eggnog and cinnamon. Love the spice arrangement in this one. Has a real sense of togetherness, harmony in it's design. Starts off a little bit off. Cranberry and cherries mix with strong cloves, cinnamon and what tastes like carrots. Lasts a long time, extends in spice and what I can only refer to as turkey stuffing. Definite pommegrenate bitterness in the finish. Belgian feel and christmas spice, with tart acidity in the end giving it character. Low alcoholic feel, and a tad cloying spice as it extends a little too long. Nice, warm feeling christmas beer. Not too heavy for a spiced beer, yet thick enough to go with these strong spiced christmas dishes.

iguenard, May 07, 2011
3.88/5  rDev 0%

Amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma is dark fruits.Taste is rum,butterscotch,raisins and plum.Overall a good beer with plenty of flavor.I would recommend this beer for any time of year.I can see myself purchasing this beer again sometime in the near future.

matty, Apr 27, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at a local sports bar. Was a lighter color than expected, dark amber with a very small head- could have been the pour. The smell was plum and malt. The taste was not very bold, like a watered down Rogue Hazelnut with the same nutty, dark fruit flavor. I was suprised to find the 6.9%ABS as the alcohol seemed non existent. The beer may have been a little flat, and was to mellow for my tastes- but not bad.

Glibber, Apr 23, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -24%

A: Ruby Red color with tan head quite thick looking head as well.

S: bready sweetness here also dough not the best smell in the world.

T: again bready sweetness here dough I just do not like that smell or taste in a beer.

M: med body med carbonation

Overall: this and fat tire are not my favorite style.

JamisonM, Apr 03, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep reddish-brown color with active carbonation that provides a bubbly thin tan head. Moderate lacing.

S: Malty goodness. Sweet smelling.

T: Sweet caramel and butterscotch all the way through. I like sweet tasting things so this one's for me. Also tasting the fruit flavors coming through. Apple, cherry and maybe slight citrus. Really though, what shines through is the buttery smoothness of this beer.

M: Thinner than what I expecting from a winter ale. More along the lines of an amber ale.

O: I've had this bottle for some time now (a few months, which is longer than beer normally lasts in my house. What's cellaring again?) and I haven't been overly excited to try it. When I finally did, I got a nice sweet surprise on a cold spring night, and something I would definately buy again.

dali27, Mar 29, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

A handsome amber and fine head. Smell is slightly spicy, with a touch of hot toddy-esq booziness. Honey on the nose and a bit of potpourri. Taste is much mellower. Carmel malts are predominate here and a touch of honey. Alcohol is hardly apparent, and neither are the hops.

Great, malty brew that will always please, regardless of the season, but a bit touch to drink a few of.

AlexanderSelby, Mar 23, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Winter Solstice on the second day of spring? Better late than never.

A: Pours a clear copper with two fingers of orange-ish head. Not much retention, a little lacing.

S: Smells malty, fruity, spicy.

T: Tastes malty as you'd expect but with an interesting cherry/hops finish sort of like a barleywine.

M: Medium body with a good level of carbonation.

D: The drinkability is high. This reminds me a lot of this year's GRB Jubilation but this is better.

mrnobody, Mar 21, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -23.2%

A- Reddish brown, just a touch too dark to be called copper. Head does not retain well. No lacing.
S- Malty, a touch of cocoa,ever so faintly spiced.
T- Starts malty, there's a bit of spice in there, but on the whole it's pretty static and nondescript. It's sweet and it finishes with a slightly sour tart flavor, kind of like a tart orange.
M- Underweighted. Carbonation is ok, but it lacks the smoothness I like in a winter warmer.
D- Just not that great of a beer. A bit disappointed. Lacks the body or the flavor profile I would like. Will retry at some point to see if I just caught it late in the season.

jsprain1, Mar 19, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

12oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.

$1.89 at Vintage Estate.

A - Pours a ruby brown color, similar to the red bordering the label, but a bit ruddier. There's a good 2-fingered, cream-colored head with moderately long retention, finally diminishing into a thick cap. While hard to see in the darkness of the beer, a steady stream of carbonation gushes from the bottom of the glass. There's some mild lacing, but not much.

S - The smell of this beer is really interesting. It's hard to pinpoint specific aromas, but I'm getting some sweet cherries, apples, mild spices (perhaps cinnamon). There's a strong malt presence here as well. It's nice to see a winter warmer that is more well-rounded rather than relying on spices to get the point across.

T - I was surprised after my first sip as I was not expecting something so flavorful and complex out of this beer. The malts come through at first and leave a nice sweetness, and there's a quick rush of the cherries, apples, plums as well. But what really threw me for a loop was a noticeable chocolate taste as well. This just added a whole new level to the beer for me. Again, the spices are more for supporting tastes rather than being the focus which helps the rest of the beer shine. Relatively long finish completely devoid of alcohol.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light with decent carbonation. It's a good transition between the sweetness and the spice in this beer.

D - Drinkability is high. This was a real dark horse for me; I bought it a few months ago after a good recommendation, but wasn't in a rush to try it, but it blew me away. The nose is unique and the taste is refreshingly appetizing. This offering is proof that great beer doesn't have to be brewery-only and $15 a bottle.

nhindian, Mar 19, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer to start non beer drinkers off. It will convert most.

Presentation: On tap served in a standard shaker glass.

Appearance: Bright reddish amber hue, off white head is fluffy.

Smell: Sweet red apples or a caramel apple, lots of malty sweetness with a twinge of fruit and almost no hop.

Taste: Full flavor mouthfeel with a sweet malt sways the non beer drinker almost immediately. The small amount of hop bitterness balances the sweetness of the malt leaving a spiciness for an aftertaste.

Notes: Every non beer drinker and mass beer drinker always looks at the beer with a squint and says 'WOW, that's good!'

ddanania, Mar 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Picked up a sixer when passing through Maryland.

Appearance is a dark amber and small head, little lacing. Smell contains dried fruits, cinnamon, bark. The taste of this winter ale is sweet, mild spice, malts too. MF is medium with a syrup texture. It is a nice winter ale and pairs well with some pie.

mltobin, Feb 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear dark bronze with two fingers of white head with good retention. Aromas are malty and spicy (cinnamon, maybe nutmeg), reminiscent of a mulled cider or an herbal nighttime tea. Flavors are complex, predominantly malty: a touch of molasses and holiday spices backed by a black tea and earthy bitterness. The heavy spicing runs the risk of palate fatigue, making its drinkability good but not great. Overall, an excellent beer; my wife told me to mention that for once, she agrees with my judgment.

droomyster, Feb 22, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a dark amber color with little head or retention.
Has a fruity aroma which reminds me of persimmons and pomegranate. There is also a mild malt presence.
The fruit aromas carry through in the flavor, with the addition of some mild hops.
It has a thick mouthfeel with good carbonation.
This is a very pleasant and drinkable beer..

djaeon, Feb 19, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Glass - Tulip

A - Orange, coppery color and just a little on the darker side. It produced a 1-2 finger head that dissipated rather quickly to a thin ring that held throughout the consumption but left no lacing.

S - I get dark fruits like plum and cherry's with a touch of orange zest upfront that's followed by brown sugar and bread. There is a bit of muted but noticeable leafy hop aroma in there as well. As it warmed I got a bit of spice like cinnamon and clove.

T - I get lots of bready malt flavors throughout, I also pick up brown sugar, lightly roasted nuts, and muted cocoa. All the great malt flavors smooth right into black cherry like flavors that almost remind me of some kind of chocolate covered cherry candy without the tartness and sweetness, it's great. I also get plum with a bit of alcohol on the finish, the bitterness is very mild and hop flavors are almost absent and lend an herbal quality to the beer.

M - Smooth and almost creamy texture. It's medium-full bodied with soft crispness.

D - I gotta say this is probably the best Winter Warmer Ive had in a while. I could definitely see myself enjoying a couple of these brews, and although this beer is 6.9% ABV, it's still pretty drinkable to me. I'd probably have this one again sometime, and I would recommend this beer to someone who likes maltier beer. Cheers!

PintOHops, Feb 19, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

glass: Tulip

Cloudy dark copper color with a 1-2 finger off-white head. It's a little too hazy to see much carbonation. The aroma carries a strong malt backbone, rich with toffee, dates, cocoa nibs, cherry-apple and spices.

Smooth velvety mouthfeel that just can't be beat. The flavors merry so well, spot on with the aroma. Strong, rich malt flavors throughout. Finishes clean, easy and smooth with minimal bitterness.

I picked this beer up in a mix pack but i can see myself going back for a sixer. One of the better winter offerings i've had so far.

JosiahS, Feb 18, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark reddish amber with very little off white head.

Smell: Strong smell of caramel with some dark fruit and spices as well.

Taste: Very sweet with a lot of caramel. There are also hints of dark fruit with a bit of bitterness at the end as well as some alcohol. The caramel sweetness dominates the flavor throughout.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a medium body. There isn't much carbonation here. Seems like it wants to be dry but it never gets there.

Drinkability: I think it could use a bit more carbonation, but the taste is quite good, I really like the caramel flavor. I would drink this again.

oline73, Feb 13, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimpled mug. Pours a medium dark brown with small tan head. Aroma is malty sweet and caramel. Flavor is darn close to a malted milk shake at the start then fades into some spices, a blend I can't exactly identify but I'd guess nutmeg and cinnamon to start. Vanilla is evident throughout with some caramel and quite a bit of malt. Finish has a short sweetness fading to a lingering spiciness and hoppiness. No evident alcohol though strong enough to be a warmer. A kind of odd mixture here but still quite pleasant overall. Could have been a better brew IMO.

CuriousMonk, Jan 27, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

I really enjoyed this beer. Poured a bright amber color. Very clear and lively looking. It had a sweet floral smell, which I didn't expect in a winter beer. Very crisp and carbonated to the taste. Also noticed a strong yeast taste, which wasn't bad. Very mild aftertaste. Overall it's a balanced beer. Tasted very fresh. Goes down easy.

kaybort, Jan 25, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

This was poured from a bottle into a large snifter. It has a deep red, amber color with a nice cream colored head on top that is about a finger deep. The lacing is moderate but does not remain throughout the entire beer.

The aroma is of strong spices which I cannot put my finger on, maybe nutmeg. Overall it smells very enjoyable and made look forward to the first sip. The nose tastes mostly of malt with little hop presence. There is an underlying sweetness that persists and becomes even more so in the finish. The spices balance well with the amber malts but I do feel that the sweetness is a bit overpowering in the finish. I would expect the malts and spices to dominate here but that sweetness takes over, which is really a downfall in my opinion.

The carbonation goes well with the rest of the beer, and it finishes smooth with a medium body. The higher ABV does not goes as well as I would have thought. I have winter warmers this year that stayed lower on the ABV and made excellent beers. Overall it is still enjoyable but perhaps too sweet for my taste.

Boitnott, Jan 22, 2011