Summer Solstice - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

good

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Summer Solstice Seasonal Ale is a slightly sweet, malty session beer with a creamy mouth feel and clean finish. With hints of caramel in the nose and a touch of spice, it’s become affectionately known as “cream soda for adults”. The unique flavors and superior drinkability make for the ultimate refreshment on a hot summer day.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 05-09-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summer Solstice Alström Bros
maccoinnich

sevenshubby

06-04-2012 23:10:18 | More by sevenshubby
TheFlern

Idaho

I can't begin to describe how much I loath this beer.

Um, its basically a watered down juice drink. No carbonation. nasty off flavors. ugh. nothing is going good for this beer. this is the last straw for me and anderson valley. their beers all suck top to bottom. i'm done with them.

11-18-2012 20:31:42 | More by TheFlern

District of Columbia

08-14-2013 21:03:36 | More by Liz8646
dnolan36

1.2/5  rDev -67.4%

I recently picked up some beer for a fellow BA while I was out of town and he asked me to pick him up a 6-pack of Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema. Well he offered to give me one when I gave them to him and who can turn down a free beer.

The beer poured a nice clear reddish, golden color. The head was very light, about 1" which quickly went away.

I found this to be more malty than I normally like. I also found it to also lack the hops.

Definitely nothing too special about this beer. To me it tasted like another BMC.

Overall it is not what I like or look for in a Summer beer.

Sadly enough, this turned into one of my first drain-pours I have had in a while.

08-08-2010 11:26:38 | More by dnolan36
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

Pours a light layer of white head. Fades to a ring. Color is golden orange.

Aroma: Funky cheese. Some spice flavors, maybe nutmeg. Not much else.

Taste: Tastes like Barq's cream soda. Not much else though. Really, there isn't a lot going on here. Is this pop or beer?

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, I have no idea what to think about this beer. It smells bad and doesn't taste like beer at all. What were these guys trying to brew.

06-04-2011 01:34:04 | More by mothman

Mississippi

07-08-2012 01:23:32 | More by Fleeflam
kbutler1

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%

Bottle. Pours a clear copper color with a mostly white with light tan head. The aroma is....cheese, yes cheese, slightly like swiss. Oh good lord, I am not looking forward to tasting this. It taste like watered down cream soda. Medium mouthfeel. The flavor is not that great to say the least. I’m not sure what they were shooting for on this one. Slightly sweet start. Ends with a linger cream soda flavor. No lace, but some head retention.

06-04-2011 01:35:27 | More by kbutler1
thepliceisright

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can.

Poured a nice copper color, with a tan head, noticed a lot of carbonation.

Definitely smelled malty, with hints of fruit, and slight spice. Smelled creamy, which is something that I would expect from a beer like this. Absolutely no hops come through.

I don't know if I had an older can or what, but the taste was more along the lines of a less watered down malt liquor, with a slight hop taste in the end. No fruity, creamy taste that I would have expected from the smell.

The mouthfeel was watery and over-carbed.

Overall, I was really disappointed. Like I said above, I don't know if I had an older can, or a bad batch? I would really like to try this again, because the reviews of this beer are decent, and I think I'll give this a second chance. The taste was nothing like the aroma, which was promising.

04-29-2012 23:08:35 | More by thepliceisright
clickpush

1.98/5  rDev -46.2%

pour: 12oz bottle to stange. Just off-white head that builds to about 1cm before dissipating quickly to almost nothing. Pleasant seltzer-like carbonation sounds and very active streams coming from throughout the glass

nose: almost no aroma, if not a tad unattractive

mouth: enters smooth and coats entire mouth w/ creamy foaminess. carries a slightly bitter, unpleasant flavor that is the only taste separating this beer from carbonated water.

I hope for this beer's sake that it was just a bad bottle.

04-25-2006 22:44:36 | More by clickpush

tmars13

08-21-2012 03:05:27 | More by tmars13
chefjack428

2.01/5  rDev -45.4%

Can, picked up on a very hot day.
The appearance of the beer is the only good thing.
Smells like over sweetened A&W cream soda and stale cereal.
Taste was pretty awful, skunky, overly sweet cream soda flavor and a bit of lemon.
So many people love this stuff, I thought it was horrible. Wish I had my $3 back.

07-08-2013 21:25:25 | More by chefjack428
ADZA

Australia

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

I love beer in cans as long as its good.

A-See through burnt toffee,copper hue which leaves the creamiest two finger head that stays and sporadic lacing.

S-It smells very sweet almost like creaming soda with a touch of barley sugar hmmm too sweet for me almost like a kool drink.

T-Creaming soda mixed with corn syrup and old english toffee straight out its so sweet way too sweet,borderlining on kool drink.

M-A touch creamy and light bodied.

O-Avoid like the plague i mean if your not really into beer its great and would be a great girly beer for your missus but its not for me the sweetness really goes to the next level with no hoppy bitterness noticeable to counteract which really kills it for me.

12-04-2011 09:43:56 | More by ADZA
MrKennedy

Australia

2.2/5  rDev -40.2%

12oz can from The Local Bottlestore & Provisions, poured into a Brooklyn tulip.

Has a real soft drink style hiss as it settles into an unnatural bright orange and pink colour. Head comes out cream coloured and fades quickly to film.

Smell is very sweet with the malt. Some fruit in a sort of tangello and mandarin way, mixed with a bit of bread. Not real nice.

Taste is a little creamy, and an improvement over the nose, while still sweet and having a fruity flavour. Nice bit of bread helps this a but in the end.

Feel is like flat soft drinks. Syrup like, just with dome carbonation. The sweetness kills this here too.

Avoid! Was looking forward to this, but it is a super sweet soft drink like beer.

11-26-2011 03:46:39 | More by MrKennedy