Summer Solstice - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

good

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Summer Solstice Seasonal Ale is a slightly sweet, malty session beer with a creamy mouth feel and clean finish. With hints of caramel in the nose and a touch of spice, it’s become affectionately known as “cream soda for adults”. The unique flavors and superior drinkability make for the ultimate refreshment on a hot summer day.

(Beer added by: xlperro on 05-09-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summer Solstice Alström Bros

I picked up a can of Anderson Valley's Summer Solstice for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I like Cream Ale's but I haven't tried many so I thought I should give this beer a try, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's a fresh summer release. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, but similar to all their other cans, I do like the golden background. It poured a hazy amber color that looked the same when held to the light and it had three and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This is a good looking Cream Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart some caramel, grainy, and bready aromas. Next comes a light vanilla aroma that is followed by a nice and noticeable creamy aroma that is a little similar to the way a cream soda smells. Towards the end I get a slight toasted aroma along with a little more caramel malts and some earthy and slightly grassy hops. I like the aroma of this beer, it's nice and malts with some light cream and vanilla aromas to make it stand out.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a good amount of malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart some grainy, caramel malt, bready, and slightly toasted flavors. Next comes the cream aspect which imparts some lighter creamy flavors along with a slight bit of vanilla. On the finish there is hardly any bitterness and it had a grainy and slightly creamy aftertaste. I like the taste of this beer, it's got some good balance and it has a nice creamy aspect.

M- Very smooth, creamy, slightly crisp, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. I liked the mouthfeel of this beer and it worked well with this style, I have no complaints.

Overall I liked this beer and was a little impressed with it, I also thought it was pretty good example of a Cream Ale, the Cream Ale aspects of this beer showed up nicely and made this beer pretty true to style. This beer had great drinkability, it went down really smooth and it had enough flavor to hold my attention, this would make a good warm weather beer, I could see drinking three or four of these on a nice summer afternoon. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style this beer was and how well put together it was. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, I can't think of anything that I would want to change about this beer. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a nicer Cream Ale and I recommend this beer to just about anyone. Anderson Valley makes some pretty solid beers, while this isn't my favorite from them, it sure is close. My gt to Cream Ale is Genny Cream, it's cheap and tastes good, but I feel that this beer has much better flavors and overall is better a Cream Ale, but till Anderson Valley can match the price and put this in 30 packs, I will still be keeping the Genny Cream on hand, but when I want to switch it up with a better tasting Cream Ale, I will go with this beer. Good job guys, I will be on the look out for more of your beers.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige-light khaki head of fair cream, pretty decent thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a clear gold. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Clean malts, wheat, ripe orange peel (over ripe methinks...), cream, and caramel. Orange flavored toffee hints perhaps. A mild strength aroma.

T: Wheat, orange peel, vague butterscotchy notes, a hint of toffee, caramel, and cream. Interestingly built, with bright malts coming through. The fruit is vague and indistinct. The butterscotch is off, perhaps a diacetyl note. Simple and lacking depth or subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some nice coarseness about the climax. Nice carbonation. Moderate on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable but boring and underwhelming. It's a fair summer beer - pleasant and fresh and that - but there's little here that would bring me back to it. A decent offering, but still rather meh.

C

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

this is one of the more accessible beers to a wide audience in both taste and availability. Anderson Valley always crushes malt profile in their beer and this is no exception; this brew is absolutely phenomenal. One of the most drinkable ales in America. SRSLY.

A- Golden, wheaty

S- really bright and vanilla-y sweetness that has a hint of grassy and chocolate

T- sweet, vanilla, chocolate, amazing brew. Light tasting, not overly complex. really nice highlighting of the malt. no hop bitterness but grassy hop aroma.

M- creamy, full bodied yet light. Nice pure white head.

O- one of America's great beers. Perfect sweetness and ABV so you can drink 2-3 and feel well satisfied and light.

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

12 oz. can poured into a Newcastle schooner.

A: A clear darkish orange, similar to iced tea. Little to no head or lacing.

S: Cream soda, vanilla, orange and spices.

T: Very tasty, I can definitely taste the cream, vanilla and orange. There is also a light nutty/roastiness similar to a brown ale.

M: Lively mouthfeel and carb, with a dry finish. Malty cream soda sticks around in the aftertaste.

O: A very drinkable cream ale, not what I was expecting for a summer ale but a pleasant surprise. Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

355ml can poured into pint glass 28/6/12

A clear reddish amber with lots of bubbles and a fast falling finger of foam that leaves lots of lace where it existed

S a little spice and vanilla, sweet malts and some graham cracker, just a little herbal hops poke out

T not far from the smell, almost there's some Winter spice in the Summer beer but it works well

M thick for the color and creamy from the bubbles, a little spice on the finish

O pretty solid cream ale and very easy to drink, interesting flavors for a Summer beer

not what I expected but that's often a good thing, pretty solid for the style

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a Pike pint glass.

Appearance - Intoxicantingly carbonated with a huge bubbly rise. Thick, shake-like head that curls onto the finger. A transparent amber red color with a sweet appearance.

Smell - Smells of caramelized malt and grain. Smells a bit like orange julius meets root beer. A bit sweet on the nose with a light note of almonds. Smells like a creamsicle.

Taste - Light root beer in the front; orange creamsicle in the aftertaste. Full of caramel and very faint toffee. A bit of sweetness comes from the vanilla. Roasty almonds come into play as well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - Light bodied. The nutty and vanilla flavors are something not seen much in a seasonal summer brew. The creamy tastes of orangesicle and root beer quench the thirst but can be a bit sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Wow not what I would expect from a summer beer poured this expecting light hazy citrus instead I got a beer poured copper amber a nice white head and a slightly sweet nose with a banana walnut quality. Upon tasting it wow different then anything I've had before definite caramel notes and backing great sweet fun different I love it.

Summer Solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company