Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,913 | Reviews: 1,209
3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Dark red body with no head.
Aroma: Massive floral, pine and spruce aromas. Barely any malt present.
Taste: This beer is so incredibly resiny it is impossible to tell what else is going on.
Mouthfeel: Sharp bitterness brings this beer down from what it could be. This is an oil slick of hop juice.
Drinkability: This beer is just too sappy to make me want to come back for more. Tasted with another hop head and two belgian freaks, and no one wanted to finish this. Granted, as it was consumed in the Father's Office, it was served much too cold.

3.31/5  rDev -17%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Attained through a trade

Appearance: Pours a copper amber color with a finger of head at the top. Looks like a fair bit of carbonation coming out of this. A generous amount of lacing going from the top to the bottom of my glass.

Smell: This is an IPA? Alright, maybe I'm being too harsh. It's got a hop presence, but not an enormous one as I expected from a west coast IPA. The nose brings out some earthy hops with an all too balanced malt backbone (at least for this hop head)

Taste: As the nose revealed, an all too well balanced IPA. Not a citrusy aftertaste at all, mostly grass and pine, which is still pleasant, but not what I was looking for. The caramel malts play well with the hops, but I was after something different.

Mouthfeel: A little high on the carbonation in my opinion. It really explodes on the tongue once it hits. A little chewy, but a medium bodied beer. The alcohol is making its appearance, but it's fairly well hidden.

Drinkability: Not that I have easy access to this beer anyways, but I don't think I'd pick this up again. It's a good beer, worth trying, but didn't live up to my expectations given the great reviews it's gotten on BA.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%

The Hop Ottin' pours a hazy golden-orange with a large, frothy white head that has good retention and lacing.

The aroma is appealing floral hops with some subtle, almost caramel sweetness.

The taste is some slightly sweet caramel malts initially, and then bang! come the bitter hops. It follows with a strong, bitter, lingering aftertaste. It's medium bodied and the bitterness coats your mouth.

Overall, a decent IPA. I thought it could have used more balance. I tend to prefer IPAs with more citrus tones and less of a bitter aftertaste. This was much more bitter in the bottle than I remember from drinking it on tap.

3.3/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 3 Floyds pint glass.

A- Lots of carbonation, 3 fingers off white head, dissipates slowly, leaves big bubbles on the side of the glass, great lacing, clear dark orange color.
S- The hop aromas are very hidden, malts and breadiness take over the aroma, slight hints of grapefruit and pine.
T- Slight bitterness, pretty sweet tasting, this IPA is VERY malty and bready, hops are hidden, slight pine and citrus comes out in the aftertaste.
M- Medium mouthfeel, not very carbonated, from the first pour I was expecting it to be fairly carbonated.
O- Was not impressed by this brew, really malty, hops are basically gone, I was very turned off by the first taste, but as worked my way through this beer it wasn’t too bad, not my favorite but glad to try it.

3.29/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Respectable high head, interesting bubble-size variety, slow pullback, textbook cling. Amber, tending slightly to orange, with a very slight haze.

The aroma is an indistinct, unexciting but unobjectionable vegetable/hops amalgam, prefacing a nice, earthy, hoppy taste that, while not complex, goes down well. This is a stalwart, if not stellar, IPA. What's not to like?

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Rich honey pour with a light head. Smell was very big soapy hops. Taste was equally well hopped, with only a very light sweetness to it. Medium bitterness to it that lingers a while. A quality, definitely far hoppier than average IPA. A lot of beers mellow out or change a bit as it warms, but to me this one was just as bitter and big on hops from the 1st to the last sip. This was good, but 12oz of this is about my limit.

3.27/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 12oz can into a plastic pint glass at Taco Asylum in Costa Mesa, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger off-white head. Long retention, creamy head. Orange-brown color. Nice carbonation and lacing. Some particles floating about. Thin lacing.

S- Strong, bitter citrusy hops, grapefruit and bitter citrus. Caramel malts peek through at the end of the smell. Sugary as well.

T- Bittering hop forward with a solid malt backbone. Sweet flavors finish off.

M- Medium in body, maybe a tad over-carbonated and a dry finish.

O- Hoppy and medium bodied IPA. Not great, but no weakness.

3.27/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I liked it. I generally don't drink IPAs, but the hops were bold and satisfying. Being 7% I couldn't drink a 6 pack of them, but I wouldn't mind one or two with a piece of hearty fish or a cheese plate. Probably one of the best I've had from Anderson Valley besides the Heelch.

3.26/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The nose in this beer is a bit lacking for a west coast IPA, but the beer is actually really well balanced. Subtle notes of mustier hops (woodsy, pine, resin) are overwhelmed by sweeter malts. As far as the palate, hops only come through in the same earthy bitterness, while the malt flavors really shine. A good beer, but it won't be my go to IPA in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours clear copper, foamy head that persists. Some metallic hops on the nose. Very bitter, but lacking a hop punch in flavour. Caramel overtones which balance the beer somewhat. Mouthfeel is full, the beer has body. Maybe a touch cloying.

Just not hoppy enough - this is a bitter beer. Not sure whether the beer is old because there is no freshness date.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

A-Pours out a slightly muddled,amber,like the color of strongly brewed tea.The head stood 1 1/2 inches tall and showed moderate retention before giving way to long,stringy lacing.

S-Dank hops,overripe citrus,slowly developing slight pine notes and a sweet,baked dough maltiness.Even more toffee and caramel malt notes as the beer warms.

T-Sweet malts upfront.More nutty toffee and baked sugar traits with a hop presence that almost seems musty to me.The grapefruit and floral notes are there but they seem a little stale.

M-Slightly bitter with a definite malty sweetness.
It tastes a little dingy and unrefined to me.Medium bodied but I'm just not a fan of what's there.

O-This was a little disappointing considering the hype but I will try it again in case I just got an off bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

Picked up a bottle at the local store's pick your sixer section. No date on the bottle.

A - Poured from bottle Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. Pours a clear amber gold color. A 1/2 finger white head with some retention and lacing.

S - Interestingly sweet aroma with honey and wheat and malt character. Some floral citrus hop character.

T - Similar to the nose. A lot more sweetness than I would expect in an AIPA. Some floral citrus hop character but not much. More malt forward int he sweetness. Again, honey and wheat character found in the nose. The middle of the beer brings a distinct metallic character that lingers. It isn't overwhelming but enough to affect the flavor. Pretty average.

M - Relatively smooth and semi-dry.

O - Fairly average with not enough hop character in my opinion. If you like malty or sweeter IPA's this might be for you.

Reviewed on: 04-03-2011 20:25:12

3.23/5  rDev -19%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with nearly 3 fingers of eggshell-white head. This retains with a frothy finger, absolutely drenching the sides of the glass with a rich sticky latticework of lacing. The aroma smells floral and leafy, with notes of earth, spice, and bitter fruit. Toasted bready grains sits along the back of the nose, along with just a touch of light alcohol warmth.

The taste has a fresh bitter citric bite to it, with a leafy feeling edge to it that leaves notes of gritty earth and spice in the finish. This is moderately balanced by some sweeter fruit character, while the malts have more of a tight and grainy presence to them. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sharp and prickly feel to the carbonation, which then gets a little smoother on the edges. There is a touch of alcohol in the body, which unfortunately helps bring some of the harsher aspects of the hops out here.

This was a decent canned IPA for the most part but I think that the bitterness here got a little too raw and aggressive at times to really keep this as approachable as I would have liked.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Hop Ottin' has a translucent amber color with a foamy, sticky whitish head. Decent lacing and pretty durable.
Smell was pretty typical for a West Coast IPA, mild caramel with strong floral and pine notes.
Taste was a pretty one-sided affair with a strong citrusy grapefruit taste to lead off. As it hits the back of the palate there's a powerful piney bitterness that lingers well after you've swallowed it.
Feel was medium-bodied, smooth and slick.
Hop Ottin' is just too bitter for my taste. I really can't put it any plainer than that. Maybe this would have rated higher if I'd had it before Hop Devil, but I doubt it. I'll leave Hop Ottin' for the hopheads out there.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Murky amber color with a finger of head that dies down to a collar fairly quickly.

Floral hops dominate the nose, a bit waxy but overall not too bad.

Taste is big caramel malts, a bit of front end bitterness to accompany a weak floral hop profile. Very average. Mouthfeel is fine, but there are so many better IPA's out there why drink this?

3.23/5  rDev -19%

This beer pours a yellowish amber with 1/2 inch head that ligers a little while. The smell is quite mild compared to others in the style. A little piney and clovey is all I get. The taste is much like the smell. The 7% ABV is hidden well. Mouthfeel is smooth with some dryness at the end. Overall I could drink more of these but I will stick with some others that I like much better.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Nice orange color and good head, sweet malt, piney flavor, slightly too bitter at the end and a little soapy, blah di blah di blah

Has a bear-a-lope on the label of the bottle (for those of you who have only seen the critter in a drunken stupor its half grizzly bear, half antelope) and funny jokes on the inside of the cap. Its also from a solar powered brewery.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Pours a burnt orange color with a massive head that doesn’t seem to want to go away, it’s also leaving some nice lacing. Smells of hops, various spices and a hint of lemon. Wow again very strange taste for an IPA, it’s got a citrus flavor accompanied by a very slight metallic taste (bad bottle?) ending with a fairly bitter pine taste. Not too bad but not something I’ll probably go out of my way to pick up.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

had this in a can, poured into a glass.

color was great, a deep, cloudy amber.

head was great, poured an inch at least, and laced very well.

smell, for me, was hard to pick up. nothing jumped out at me as the IBUs would suggest.

Taste was very flavorful. started with a piney hops taste, then had a bitter dry feel, then a bold malt flavor. finished dry and bitter.

it had a full feel to it.

overall, as a hop head, i think i expected too much when i saw "80 IBU". to me it had more of a malty characteristic. the flavor was good, very well crafted, but not what i was expecting. a solid offering, but not for the hop head.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

On Tap at Memphis and Cumberland in the streets of Philadelphia.

A- GOlden with some small bronze hints with a bright white head. A nice cap afterwards but not much stick.

S- For a fresh IPA (I asked the bartender whom I trust) this seems pretty muted. Hardly any hop aroma and strong on the pale malts. Small citrus hints with a touch of grass.

T- Mimicks the smell in that the taste is for the style is muted. Im thinking str8 pale ale but the small amount of alcohol and the malt presense leads towards IPA. Faded C-hops with small citrus, light pineapple, grapefruit. Pale malts lead the pack. It's not as sweet as most East coast IPA's though so there is that.

M- A step down from medium, nice malt build, not very bitter, carbed up well, what more do you want to know?

D- I drank it quick because it was not doing anything for me, I did not care for it.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

Nice amber color with attractive dense foamy head. Smells sweet and malty. Flavor is filled with hops with berry esters. Seafood. Well carbonated leads to a medium-light mouthfeel. Slightly boozy with medium bitterness on the middle of the tongue.

Overall: I was nervous upon the smell of this IPA that it would be syrupy and sweet, my least favorite characteristics of an IPA. It was indeed sweeter than I like, but the lightness of it made it more tolerable. I appreciate the strength of the hops in this one, but the overwhelming sweetness of the malts make it one I will not be picking up again.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a copper glow with a nice sticky white head on top. Nose was surprisingly malt heavy with essence of honey and fresh bread along with the floral hops. The taste is definitely a hop-a-thon with the first wave being tingly biting pine needles which are followed with a bit of mellowness as the malt makes a half-hearted effort to balance things out....the finish is bone dry with a puckering bitterness. I have to go contrary to what others have said on this one, I feel the hops here are not especially well done but rather overly aggressive and dominant at the expense of much discernable flavor. Perhaps the variety of hops used doesn't agree with me but I prefer to get easily detectable citrus and herbal flavors from my IPA's rather than simply over-the-top harsh bitterness.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

355ml bottle. Shaker glass. Orangish amber color headed by white & wide crown. Piney, citric –orange & grapefruit- aromas, slight caramel malt & floral notes. Bitter upfront yields to a gentle sweet toasted flavor. Medium body. Moderate to soft carbonation. Honey hues in the middle are swept out by hoppiness that lingers into an extended bitter finish.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

I haven't cared for any of Anderson Valley Brews and this is the last time I'm going to try any of them. I didn't care for Hop Ottin' IPA. The hoppy taste would was nice until that bitter after taste ruined it! Goodbye Anderson Valley Brewing Co.

3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Huge (2 inches or more) firm beige head. It's an amber color that is mostly translucent but has just a hint of cloudiness. Lacing is magnificent.

Strong flowery hop and citrus aroma.

The flowery hops are really just too sour to me. Whatever the type of hops are that are used in this, they're not the variety I favor in my IPAs.

Medium body oily mouthfeel.

I don't understand why so many people love this so much. This is not for me.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company