Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
pDev: 11%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,192 | Hads: 2,951
3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Hop Ottin' has a translucent amber color with a foamy, sticky whitish head. Decent lacing and pretty durable.
Smell was pretty typical for a West Coast IPA, mild caramel with strong floral and pine notes.
Taste was a pretty one-sided affair with a strong citrusy grapefruit taste to lead off. As it hits the back of the palate there's a powerful piney bitterness that lingers well after you've swallowed it.
Feel was medium-bodied, smooth and slick.
Hop Ottin' is just too bitter for my taste. I really can't put it any plainer than that. Maybe this would have rated higher if I'd had it before Hop Devil, but I doubt it. I'll leave Hop Ottin' for the hopheads out there. (675 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Murky amber color with a finger of head that dies down to a collar fairly quickly.

Floral hops dominate the nose, a bit waxy but overall not too bad.

Taste is big caramel malts, a bit of front end bitterness to accompany a weak floral hop profile. Very average. Mouthfeel is fine, but there are so many better IPA's out there why drink this? (343 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer pours a yellowish amber with 1/2 inch head that ligers a little while. The smell is quite mild compared to others in the style. A little piney and clovey is all I get. The taste is much like the smell. The 7% ABV is hidden well. Mouthfeel is smooth with some dryness at the end. Overall I could drink more of these but I will stick with some others that I like much better. (383 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Nice orange color and good head, sweet malt, piney flavor, slightly too bitter at the end and a little soapy, blah di blah di blah

Has a bear-a-lope on the label of the bottle (for those of you who have only seen the critter in a drunken stupor its half grizzly bear, half antelope) and funny jokes on the inside of the cap. Its also from a solar powered brewery. (365 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a burnt orange color with a massive head that doesn’t seem to want to go away, it’s also leaving some nice lacing. Smells of hops, various spices and a hint of lemon. Wow again very strange taste for an IPA, it’s got a citrus flavor accompanied by a very slight metallic taste (bad bottle?) ending with a fairly bitter pine taste. Not too bad but not something I’ll probably go out of my way to pick up. (413 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%

had this in a can, poured into a glass.

color was great, a deep, cloudy amber.

head was great, poured an inch at least, and laced very well.

smell, for me, was hard to pick up. nothing jumped out at me as the IBUs would suggest.

Taste was very flavorful. started with a piney hops taste, then had a bitter dry feel, then a bold malt flavor. finished dry and bitter.

it had a full feel to it.

overall, as a hop head, i think i expected too much when i saw "80 IBU". to me it had more of a malty characteristic. the flavor was good, very well crafted, but not what i was expecting. a solid offering, but not for the hop head. (629 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%

On Tap at Memphis and Cumberland in the streets of Philadelphia.

A- GOlden with some small bronze hints with a bright white head. A nice cap afterwards but not much stick.

S- For a fresh IPA (I asked the bartender whom I trust) this seems pretty muted. Hardly any hop aroma and strong on the pale malts. Small citrus hints with a touch of grass.

T- Mimicks the smell in that the taste is for the style is muted. Im thinking str8 pale ale but the small amount of alcohol and the malt presense leads towards IPA. Faded C-hops with small citrus, light pineapple, grapefruit. Pale malts lead the pack. It's not as sweet as most East coast IPA's though so there is that.

M- A step down from medium, nice malt build, not very bitter, carbed up well, what more do you want to know?

D- I drank it quick because it was not doing anything for me, I did not care for it. (864 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -19.8%

Nice amber color with attractive dense foamy head. Smells sweet and malty. Flavor is filled with hops with berry esters. Seafood. Well carbonated leads to a medium-light mouthfeel. Slightly boozy with medium bitterness on the middle of the tongue.

Overall: I was nervous upon the smell of this IPA that it would be syrupy and sweet, my least favorite characteristics of an IPA. It was indeed sweeter than I like, but the lightness of it made it more tolerable. I appreciate the strength of the hops in this one, but the overwhelming sweetness of the malts make it one I will not be picking up again. (600 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a copper glow with a nice sticky white head on top. Nose was surprisingly malt heavy with essence of honey and fresh bread along with the floral hops. The taste is definitely a hop-a-thon with the first wave being tingly biting pine needles which are followed with a bit of mellowness as the malt makes a half-hearted effort to balance things out....the finish is bone dry with a puckering bitterness. I have to go contrary to what others have said on this one, I feel the hops here are not especially well done but rather overly aggressive and dominant at the expense of much discernable flavor. Perhaps the variety of hops used doesn't agree with me but I prefer to get easily detectable citrus and herbal flavors from my IPA's rather than simply over-the-top harsh bitterness. (785 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

355ml bottle. Shaker glass. Orangish amber color headed by white & wide crown. Piney, citric –orange & grapefruit- aromas, slight caramel malt & floral notes. Bitter upfront yields to a gentle sweet toasted flavor. Medium body. Moderate to soft carbonation. Honey hues in the middle are swept out by hoppiness that lingers into an extended bitter finish. (356 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

I haven't cared for any of Anderson Valley Brews and this is the last time I'm going to try any of them. I didn't care for Hop Ottin' IPA. The hoppy taste would was nice until that bitter after taste ruined it! Goodbye Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (246 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

Huge (2 inches or more) firm beige head. It's an amber color that is mostly translucent but has just a hint of cloudiness. Lacing is magnificent.

Strong flowery hop and citrus aroma.

The flowery hops are really just too sour to me. Whatever the type of hops are that are used in this, they're not the variety I favor in my IPAs.

Medium body oily mouthfeel.

I don't understand why so many people love this so much. This is not for me. (447 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -20.8%

12 oz bottle acquired newly from the MLCC with a date stamp on teh neck that us too small and smudged to be read. Poured ~6C into a beer mug.

Pours a gorgeous clear amber with a frothy head that leaves tons of gorgeous lacing the whole way through. The nose is muted with light pine notes along with some maltiness. A nice body with a good amount of malt flavours not normally in an IPA, including bread, crackers and caramel. That said, the body lacks a substantial hop presence. Mainly pine and earth come through with hints of citrus fruit. Body is well carbonated and has a biting bitterness, though somehow comes across as watery.

For a supposedly top shelf IPA this beer has the IBUs and a great malt backbone for it, but is lacking the quality I love most of an IPA (especially one that is 7%!): HOPS! Where are the hops? Muted aromas and weak flavours make me think that the MLCC brought in a pallet of really old IPA. Shame on you MLCC & Anderson Valley for pawning off old product (992 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21%

I used to drink a lot of Anderson Valley stuff when I lived out west and want to start giving them more of my time again. This was a bit of a let down now, but my memories are fond enough that I will keep trying other things from them. Review is from notes taken on 5/29/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours the standard medium copper color; starts with a 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off-white head with nice retention and becomes pock-marked as it slowly fades to a thick an full cap that lasts throughout the drink; body is quite clear and shows moderate carbonation; nice swaths and washes of foamy lacing are left behind.

Smell: I was a little nervous at first going into this one because the second I cracked it I swear I smelled skunk crawling out of the bottle, but it eventually faded and turned into a piney hop bitterness, but it did taint my nose a bit; grassy/piney hops and it comes across as quite bitter; nose is a kind of weak though overall and I have to pull pretty hard to get much out of it.

Taste: Bitter sappy and sticky piney/grassy hops up front, but they're followed by a bitter and biting coppery/metallic taste that really kind of makes me cringe because it's kind of strong and really takes hold and it's rather unpleasant; very slight toasty malt presence in the back once the metal fades; the bitter piney hops really linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong and prickly carbonation; a nice dry stickiness is left covering the mouth and it holds the bitter hop presence well into the aftertaste. Pretty solid and one of the better aspects of this beer.

Drinkability: Meh. Average at best as that skunky smell and metallic bite really turned me off pretty quick. There are nice supporting flavors and the look and mouthfeel are solid, but I doubt I'll be looking to buy this particular IPA again. (1,878 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle poured in tulip hazy copper with a big frothy white head. Floral hop aroma with some earthiness and lemongrass. Flavor is more like an amber ale than an IPA. Not much hops here, and hoping it is just an old bottle. Dirty floral notes and medium dryish mouthfeel. Mostly focused on biscuit malts and some floral lightness. Not feeling this one, and assuming I grabbed a bad/old bottle. Will have to try again some time. (433 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Hop Ottin', in a can, into a tulip.

A: Orange with golden highlights. Nice creamy finger thick khaki head.

S: Sweet sugary notes, some grapefruity citrus.

T: Right after the nose with sweet sugar, followed by a big bitter and light grapefruit.

M: Thinner than I expected, barely medium bodied.

D: Dissapointing brew. Not potent enough in flavor, but most disappointed with the light body. Overall, blah. (411 characters)

4/28/2012

I guess it's now Sunday. Hard pour into a snifter yields three fingers of dense soapy beige sea foam. The color is dark orange. Exceptional retention and lacing.

S: Piney and earthy with a light floral spiciness and a bit of booze. This is, without a doubt, a balanced IPA. If anything, the scale tips toward the malt aspect of the beer, which gives off toasted biscuit with bready notes and a dash of caramel.

T: The flavor is malt heavy, tending toward caramel and breadiness with a feeble hop presence. There's a little pine and a lower moderate bitterness. Citrus has been subjugated by an oppressive malt regime.

M: Medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Really malty without an adequate hop profile to back it up. (747 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours out the bomber into my Green Flash Brewing Pint glass. Nice light tan bubbly head. Dark copper clear color. Decent lacing throughout session.

Huge citrus/hop bomb on the nose. Uh oh..

Taste is more of the same. Just sour/bitter hoppiness.. where is the balance?

Nice amount of carbonation, but my palate is still recovering from the unpleasant balance..

Not drinkable. I have about 8 ounces left in the bomber, and I'm thinking about sinking it. I'm all about hops and shredding your palate, but this beer is all sour/bitterness with no malt backbone to redeem itself. (578 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Hazy copper with one finger of head that lingers for minutes. A thin ring of lacing formed around the top of the glass.

S - A sweet floral odor with a touch of pine.

T - Sweet toffee malt with a pine hop profile. The aftertaste is a sweet floral taste meshed with an ascerbic bitterness that has a touch of background pine. Not a pleasant mixture there.

M - Medium viscosity, a little harsh and only slightly refreshing.

D - Alright. More than one of these wold be a challenge on account of both the bitterness and the sweetness. Also the aftertaste gets really tiring. (585 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Odd beer. I saw the 100 rating and I was pretty excited. Pours a copper color with nice lacing. The smell is odd to me. I don't get it. Honestly, the taste was poor to me - had a chemical taste and the aftertaste was bad. I looked for an expiry date and couldn't find it, but they seem to to sell a lot here at Lower Depths. I will need to try again another time, as I didn't like this but everyone else does (408 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dark, hazy copper. Plenty of head and lacing down the glass. Nose doesn't speak of the usual IPA hoppiness. The smell is more malty/musty than anything else. No floral or citrus notes despite what the back of the bottle says. The taste is very nutty and bitter without any of the floral notes or citrus that make American IPA's so much fun. The mouthfeel is OK and the drinkability is low for me: too harsh without any acidity that makes me thirsty for more. This one is not for me, but all tastes are subjective. (521 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -23.3%

Chestnut. Suprisingly subtle floral hop aroma with a touch of pine cones and malty sweetness. I have a feeling that this is an older bottle mainly because the hop presence I was expecting just wasn’t there. Still though, the malt is still fairly effective as the lead. Notes of honey and caramel overpower the hop flavor and bitterness. (337 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It was Justice Brandeis who famously opined that “sunlight is the best disinfectant.” I’m afraid, at least for this solar-powered brewery, that he is altogether right.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Finally. A nice creamy head with peaks and valleys and bubbles and air pockets. It isn’t going anywhere. I like it. The color, a gorgeous amber.

NOSE: Lightly buttered herbs, grapefruit, sour milk. My pre-buzz is beginning to wane.

MOUTH: It was Jimmy McNulty who famously opined “I had such fucking high hopes for us.” The perfect rugged look, the 90 BA rating, the fucking 100 from the Alström brothers. For what? It’s not terrible, no, but that shouldn’t ever be the standard — not for craft beer. Trenchantly bitter on the lips, a touch of fruit and nice body simply cannot compensate. The finish is nicer though not altogether smooth.

BA Rating: 90

Hayward Abbey Rating: 76 (906 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had this out of a can so not sure if that made a difference. Pours a bright amber, smelled great felt excellent. Tones of vanilla, maybe a lil smoke. Yummy (157 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.5%

On tap, dark orange color, chill haze, thin white head. Smells like a cousin of Big Foot, strong malt balance with loads of citrus. The taste is likewise almost barley-wine like. The caramel malts are strong with this one, too strong. Some bitterness in the aftertaste but overall too sweet for my preference in this style. Reasonable carbonation, mouthfeel was OK, but the flavors were not a win for me. (404 characters)

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company