Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,916 | Reviews: 1,210
3.18/5  rDev -20.3%

Huge (2 inches or more) firm beige head. It's an amber color that is mostly translucent but has just a hint of cloudiness. Lacing is magnificent.

Strong flowery hop and citrus aroma.

The flowery hops are really just too sour to me. Whatever the type of hops are that are used in this, they're not the variety I favor in my IPAs.

Medium body oily mouthfeel.

I don't understand why so many people love this so much. This is not for me.

3.17/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle acquired newly from the MLCC with a date stamp on teh neck that us too small and smudged to be read. Poured ~6C into a beer mug.

Pours a gorgeous clear amber with a frothy head that leaves tons of gorgeous lacing the whole way through. The nose is muted with light pine notes along with some maltiness. A nice body with a good amount of malt flavours not normally in an IPA, including bread, crackers and caramel. That said, the body lacks a substantial hop presence. Mainly pine and earth come through with hints of citrus fruit. Body is well carbonated and has a biting bitterness, though somehow comes across as watery.

For a supposedly top shelf IPA this beer has the IBUs and a great malt backbone for it, but is lacking the quality I love most of an IPA (especially one that is 7%!): HOPS! Where are the hops? Muted aromas and weak flavours make me think that the MLCC brought in a pallet of really old IPA. Shame on you MLCC & Anderson Valley for pawning off old product

3.16/5  rDev -20.8%

I used to drink a lot of Anderson Valley stuff when I lived out west and want to start giving them more of my time again. This was a bit of a let down now, but my memories are fond enough that I will keep trying other things from them. Review is from notes taken on 5/29/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours the standard medium copper color; starts with a 1 and 1/2 finger slightly off-white head with nice retention and becomes pock-marked as it slowly fades to a thick an full cap that lasts throughout the drink; body is quite clear and shows moderate carbonation; nice swaths and washes of foamy lacing are left behind.

Smell: I was a little nervous at first going into this one because the second I cracked it I swear I smelled skunk crawling out of the bottle, but it eventually faded and turned into a piney hop bitterness, but it did taint my nose a bit; grassy/piney hops and it comes across as quite bitter; nose is a kind of weak though overall and I have to pull pretty hard to get much out of it.

Taste: Bitter sappy and sticky piney/grassy hops up front, but they're followed by a bitter and biting coppery/metallic taste that really kind of makes me cringe because it's kind of strong and really takes hold and it's rather unpleasant; very slight toasty malt presence in the back once the metal fades; the bitter piney hops really linger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong and prickly carbonation; a nice dry stickiness is left covering the mouth and it holds the bitter hop presence well into the aftertaste. Pretty solid and one of the better aspects of this beer.

Drinkability: Meh. Average at best as that skunky smell and metallic bite really turned me off pretty quick. There are nice supporting flavors and the look and mouthfeel are solid, but I doubt I'll be looking to buy this particular IPA again.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Undated bottle poured in tulip hazy copper with a big frothy white head. Floral hop aroma with some earthiness and lemongrass. Flavor is more like an amber ale than an IPA. Not much hops here, and hoping it is just an old bottle. Dirty floral notes and medium dryish mouthfeel. Mostly focused on biscuit malts and some floral lightness. Not feeling this one, and assuming I grabbed a bad/old bottle. Will have to try again some time.

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

Hop Ottin', in a can, into a tulip.

A: Orange with golden highlights. Nice creamy finger thick khaki head.

S: Sweet sugary notes, some grapefruity citrus.

T: Right after the nose with sweet sugar, followed by a big bitter and light grapefruit.

M: Thinner than I expected, barely medium bodied.

D: Dissapointing brew. Not potent enough in flavor, but most disappointed with the light body. Overall, blah.

3.12/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

looks dark and cloudy. it smells like a malt bomb. it tastes pretty malty with a noticeable alcoholic taste. can't really taste the hops.

4/28/2012

I guess it's now Sunday. Hard pour into a snifter yields three fingers of dense soapy beige sea foam. The color is dark orange. Exceptional retention and lacing.

S: Piney and earthy with a light floral spiciness and a bit of booze. This is, without a doubt, a balanced IPA. If anything, the scale tips toward the malt aspect of the beer, which gives off toasted biscuit with bready notes and a dash of caramel.

T: The flavor is malt heavy, tending toward caramel and breadiness with a feeble hop presence. There's a little pine and a lower moderate bitterness. Citrus has been subjugated by an oppressive malt regime.

M: Medium body with upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Really malty without an adequate hop profile to back it up.

3.11/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours out the bomber into my Green Flash Brewing Pint glass. Nice light tan bubbly head. Dark copper clear color. Decent lacing throughout session.

Huge citrus/hop bomb on the nose. Uh oh..

Taste is more of the same. Just sour/bitter hoppiness.. where is the balance?

Nice amount of carbonation, but my palate is still recovering from the unpleasant balance..

Not drinkable. I have about 8 ounces left in the bomber, and I'm thinking about sinking it. I'm all about hops and shredding your palate, but this beer is all sour/bitterness with no malt backbone to redeem itself.

3.11/5  rDev -22.1%

A - Hazy copper with one finger of head that lingers for minutes. A thin ring of lacing formed around the top of the glass.

S - A sweet floral odor with a touch of pine.

T - Sweet toffee malt with a pine hop profile. The aftertaste is a sweet floral taste meshed with an ascerbic bitterness that has a touch of background pine. Not a pleasant mixture there.

M - Medium viscosity, a little harsh and only slightly refreshing.

D - Alright. More than one of these wold be a challenge on account of both the bitterness and the sweetness. Also the aftertaste gets really tiring.

3.1/5  rDev -22.3%

Odd beer. I saw the 100 rating and I was pretty excited. Pours a copper color with nice lacing. The smell is odd to me. I don't get it. Honestly, the taste was poor to me - had a chemical taste and the aftertaste was bad. I looked for an expiry date and couldn't find it, but they seem to to sell a lot here at Lower Depths. I will need to try again another time, as I didn't like this but everyone else does

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark, hazy copper. Plenty of head and lacing down the glass. Nose doesn't speak of the usual IPA hoppiness. The smell is more malty/musty than anything else. No floral or citrus notes despite what the back of the bottle says. The taste is very nutty and bitter without any of the floral notes or citrus that make American IPA's so much fun. The mouthfeel is OK and the drinkability is low for me: too harsh without any acidity that makes me thirsty for more. This one is not for me, but all tastes are subjective.

3.07/5  rDev -23.1%

Chestnut. Suprisingly subtle floral hop aroma with a touch of pine cones and malty sweetness. I have a feeling that this is an older bottle mainly because the hop presence I was expecting just wasn’t there. Still though, the malt is still fairly effective as the lead. Notes of honey and caramel overpower the hop flavor and bitterness.

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It was Justice Brandeis who famously opined that “sunlight is the best disinfectant.” I’m afraid, at least for this solar-powered brewery, that he is altogether right.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Finally. A nice creamy head with peaks and valleys and bubbles and air pockets. It isn’t going anywhere. I like it. The color, a gorgeous amber.

NOSE: Lightly buttered herbs, grapefruit, sour milk. My pre-buzz is beginning to wane.

MOUTH: It was Jimmy McNulty who famously opined “I had such fucking high hopes for us.” The perfect rugged look, the 90 BA rating, the fucking 100 from the Alström brothers. For what? It’s not terrible, no, but that shouldn’t ever be the standard — not for craft beer. Trenchantly bitter on the lips, a touch of fruit and nice body simply cannot compensate. The finish is nicer though not altogether smooth.

BA Rating: 90

Hayward Abbey Rating: 76

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had this out of a can so not sure if that made a difference. Pours a bright amber, smelled great felt excellent. Tones of vanilla, maybe a lil smoke. Yummy

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%

On tap, dark orange color, chill haze, thin white head. Smells like a cousin of Big Foot, strong malt balance with loads of citrus. The taste is likewise almost barley-wine like. The caramel malts are strong with this one, too strong. Some bitterness in the aftertaste but overall too sweet for my preference in this style. Reasonable carbonation, mouthfeel was OK, but the flavors were not a win for me.

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass clear amber with a fluffy, white head. The nose is very flowery pine notes with some slight astringent smell I can't describe any better..
There wasn't much front-end flavor, just the piney taste of hops. Seems like the malt took a holiday. The finish was fairly strong and lingering with bitter pineyness.
I don't want to use the word 'slimy' to describe the feel, but it was kind of like that. Slight tingle of carbonation on the tongue. Not unpleasant but less than expected.
With the pretty pour and flowery smell, I was hoping for some complex flavors and crispness, but was left a little disappointed. That said, this is not a bad IPA. Don't let the can fool you.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a clear amber with clear, ringing orange highlights. There is only a low, foamy head. Decent lacing follows down the side of the glass. Not bad, but could be much better.

Smell is of mango, booze, tangerine. Not as pungent as I'd like.

Taste is overwhelmingly of booze. Harsh hops kick in about halfway with a harsh, metallic bite. There's only bitterness here, no hop flavor -- and this from a fan of Ruination. Where is the pine? Where is the tropical fruit, the citrus? The only respite is a little bit of honeyed sweetness mid-sip, but it's a short, brief respite. Not impressive. Too much booze, sloppily organized hops. Proof that great beer needs organization -- and it's sadly lacking here.

Mouthfeel is fine, more seafoam and what have you.

Overall, this is a pretty underwhelming beer. Considering how much I liked their Poleeko Gold Pale Ale, it's an especially surprising result. Hops, booze, and chaos. I'd call it a double IPA, but even then, it's not a graceful one. Not a fan.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

The beer has nice clarity for an IPA. Nice copper color. Medium head that sticks around. Very nice herbal hop tones in the aroma. There's a pungency in the taste that I don't like and don't think is appropriate. Medium to full bodied with a solid malt backing. I think this is a pretty average IPA. I've never been blown away by an IPA from AV.

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Amber color with a huge orangey, frothy head that leaves crusty peaks like meringue as it dissipates. Aroma is of hop, citrus, and pine. The taste is a quick hops kick, plus a sharp lemon flavor, reminiscent of Pledge. Crisp and creamy mouthfeel, and here comes that Pledge again. Sharp lemon flavor stabs at the back of the throat. The hops is overpowered by the lemon. Better for polishing furniture than for drinking.

A decent IPA, definitely not a favorite. One of the few times I've been uninspired to finish a 6-pack, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit instead. Good mouthfeel, decent smell, but the taste was just not right for me. The hops didn't kick my ass, and if that ain't happenin I'd at least like some balance and drinkability. Alas, I found little to get excited about here. Can't recommend when there are so many better IPAs on the market.

12oz. can served into a pint glass

Pours a light amber color with school-bus yellow undertones. Less than one finger of eggshell head forms, large-bubbled and not very lacy.

Hop Ottin' is a very straightforward IPA. You've got some resiny smells, some pine, and some Mandarin orange. That's all the complexity that this beer's hop profile can muster. A greater-than-expected malt presence gives off lots of crystal malt aromas. It's not bad -- I wouldn't throw rocks at it -- but it's just boring compared to a lot of this beer's competition on the shelf.

Hop Ottin' tastes pretty much as it smells: competent but a bit blase. Caramelly crystal malts, bitter pine hop flavors. Some oily resin flavor, light orange. Some people would call this a balanced beer given all of the malt flavor. I disagree. I think this beer is slightly imbalanced towards the malty side. Lots of malt flavor (for the style) and a lot of bitterness, but less true lupulin flavor than desired. It's not a bad drink, it's just an average IPA.

You'd expect this beer, given my description of its maltiness, to have a medium-full body for the style. You'd be right. It's not offensive to me, but it isn't preferable. Overall, this is a pretty average IPA. If you like malty IPAs then this is a good option for you, especially being packaged in cans. Hopheads can do better, however.

Poured from a bottle into an Iron City 12oz glass.

A. Nice orangish amber in appearance with a nice foammy head, little to no lacing as I drink.

S. heavy bread smell to it, quite nice. I pick up very little hop flower smell. After my forth smell I still smell fresh dough.

T. Quite disappointed hear. I was hoping for more. Nice taste as you swallow but the after taste is like having a big bite of pineneedles. Not my favorite IPA. By far not the worst.

D. For me one is enough. But I do see where others would like this beer better than myself.

Pours a soft amber color with an off-white head that leaves behind very nice, extensive lacing. Aromas of hops, citrus, and grapefruit come out. The taste is rather astringent with poorly mixed flavors. The hop bitterness is clearly present, but it seems to fight the sweetness also present. A very uncomfortable aftertaste develops that leaves my mouth overly dry and soap-like. I didn't want to finish my pint, nor would I want another one of these.

Pours amber with a dirty white head. Aroma of herbal tea with some lemon and pine. A little toastiness underneath from the malt. Flavor follows suit. Medium bodied with some activity. Overall, boring IPA though well crafted. Wouldn't refuse a bottle, but will not seek it out again. Pass.

Bygg hgfgh huyg hhh jjhgg

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company