Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Avg: 4
pDev: 19%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,197 | Hads: 2,966
4.55/5  rDev +13.8%

i haven't spent anytime reviewing the classics here on BA. this is a classic, if there ever was one. this is one of the best IPA's i've had the pleasure of consuming. The fact that an Indian owned liqor store carries this fresh for 6.99 a sixer less than a block and a half from house makes me realize that there are many worse beer locations to live in than Sacramento, despite it's lack of a beer bar of any sort.

appearance: ok so it's not exactly pale. it's more of a light amber...between a standard pale ale and a typical amber. The head won't quit on this one and lacing is amazing. just absolutly top notch.

smell: when you just sit and smell for 2 minutes without even taking a sip you know it's a great beer. just an awsome hop smell with the malts chilling in the backround. Anderson valley keeps the hop bill a secret...but i noticed a strong similarity to Scape goat pale in the aroma. They list their hops as Kent Goldings and Crystal....so take my sherlock homes work at face value. I think i've figured out that i'm not the biggest cascade fan and to me this is one of the best smelling ipa's.

Taste: really, really, really balanced. West Coast balanced at 2:1 hops to malts ratio.This isn't overly hoped or bitter by any means. Nice carmaly malts hit up front. Then over the next 10 seconds a strong bitter aftertaste puckers you right up, as if you bit a lemon. (bitter beer face!) Then you want to take another sip. I don't think i'd call this one overly complex...but you taste mulitple layers of hops...2 or mabey three different kinds. but again you don't need to think to much. If it has a fault, it's being too balanced towards the malts....i would like it just a notch more hoppy.

mouthfeel: pretty solid. not watery like some ipa's
drinkability: well when a beer taste's this good i can drink it all nite. but this is a medium paced beer...not a slow sipper but not a pounder or anything.

thoughts: in my mind this beer and Stone IPA should bare knuckle fight it out for California king of IPA's. An IPA shouldn't be gimmickly, it shouldn't be underhoped. Half the Ipa's i try are bullshit...slap the ipa label on with no consept of style. This beer only breaks the mold by being slightly too amber, but really who cares? It's a classic Ipa through and through. While breweries like Russian River and Moonlight(and every other brewery) bust out with triple ipa's....it's nice to have a beer to drink that won't destroy your palete for 3 days. This is one of the best beers to grace the earth.

4.56/5  rDev +14%

When I reach for an IPA, this is the kind of beer I want to find in my hand. Yummy, yummy. This was a nicely bitter beer that managed to balance the 7% alcohol and high hop content with that magic quality: good taste. This beer comes highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

Had this one right after a Hop Devil on draft, and believe me I am a huge fan of the Devil but there is not a clear winner in this head for head match up. This one was poured with a nice head, and it appeared with the same amber copper tone as the Hop Devil. After cleansing with some water, I began to test the aroma of the beer. Seemed mild, but as the beer warmed up the floral hops seemed to have a sweeter scent of hops. Great flavor that fulfills any hop heads desires and dreams. This one has a great floral taste that finishes with a perfect combination of sweetness and spiciness. Another fine selection that was thoroughly enjoyed.

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass. No expiration date found on the bottle or 6pack case. Pours a dark brown with a huge head, about two finger. Beautiful looking beer. Smells of floral hops, sweet malts and I get a big waft of caramel. Taste is not your average hoppy IPA. I get huge amounts of caramel, dominated the whole mouthfeel and pallet. Mild carbonation and drowned out hoppy aftertaste. This brew is so amazingly drinkable and sweet. Such a great take on an IPA. I could almost session this beer it's so drinkable. ABV is well hidden. Overall, I'm extremely impressed. This shoots close to the top of my IPA list. I see mixed reviews but I find it hard to believe. The bros hit it on the head, it's world class in my opinion.

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

I scored this CAN during a recent beer-buying excursion to PHL and I plan to make another foray on 26 December - if anyone wants this (or any other CANs), let me know before that date.

It is now a Purple CAN Afternoon and I have a) spotted Barney in one corner of the room while b) a parade of pink elephants just went by. Should I cut back?

From the (Purple) CAN: "Bahl Hornin' Since 1987"; "Solar Powered Brewery"; "The Legendary Boonville Brewery".

The CRack & gLug (sorry, residual damage from Moat Mountain) came off without a hitch and produced a thick, fluffy finger-and-a-half of tawny head that acted like it was going to hang around like the uninvited guest at the end of the night. Color was a deep, shiny copper like the handful of pennies that I recently got in change. I have had many redheaded girlfriends, but the one with this color of hair was the one that got away. There's a tear in my beer 'cause I'm cryin' for ya, dear! A good whiff of minty hops brings me right back to my senses and this delivered. Forget Smelling Salts, I'm going to market Smelling Hops for the hophead who may be asleep at the bar. Ask for it on any street corner where the finer drugs are peddled. Ah, the old Iron Fist Wrapped In Velvet Routine! Eighth time I've fallen for it this week. I was initially like Mowgli in "The Jungle Book", listening to Kaa hiss "Trust in Me" when suddenly, I took a bullet between the eyes! It initially enveloped my tongue in a sweet caress, gently working back and forth until WHAM! hops out the ying-yang and I was on my back on the floor wondering how I got there. 7% indeed. Hops and malt in a stunning interaction and looking at the dense lacing that remained, I wondered how I did not see it coming. I was distracted by thinking about that dame, I suppose. Finish left me satiated for the moment, but that feeling never lasts and I'm going to have to score again real soon, I just know it. Why, oh why, did I ever get hooked in the first place? BECAUSE I LOOOOVE HOPS, that's why and if you are awaiting real regret, hold your breath! I crave hops and this delivered. It will certainly have a place in my Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) cooler as well as accompanying me to the beach and elsewhere.

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a beautiful deep amber that is slightly hazy with a nice amount of head that is quite foamy and leaves nice lacing
S: beautiful citrus hop scent
T: great citrus hop taste, nice sweetness
M: slightly dry to begin with, smooth on the palate, medium carbonation
O: highly drinkable, really like this one

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange color crowned with a thin rimming of creamy white foam that settles to a moderate lacing on the glass.

S: Heavy malts. Brown sugar, butterscotch, caramel and pine.

T: Sweet malty base with notes of brown sugar, butterscotch and gooey caramel quickly yields to an aggressive front of hoppy goodness that results in a sustained and lingering bitterness. Biscuit and toffee surfaces as it warms. In the end, hops prevail over malts with a crisp and satisfying finish.

M: Full-bodied with a coarse feel that runs roughshod over the palate.

D: Complex yet balanced, both sweet and bitter. Hop Ottin' is an outstanding American IPA that's as intriguing as it is drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I flew into San Jose, drove to Whole Foods and bought this 6 pack on the way to the hotel. Coming from Seattle what a pleasant surprise! Buy the Bear! Share it with your friends, this beer is fun, perfect for Palo Alto! The only proven is I am sure you can't get it in Texas

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber/honey colored with thick foamy head. There is excellent head and lacing retention. Piney, grassy smell with hints of citrus. Strong piney/grassy taste at the beginning. A bitter bitey, hops follows with a mild malty taste at the end. There is a pronounced bitter aftertaste. Definitely a beer for hop heads. It has a really good balance of hops and malt.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I got this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Can't find a date on the bottle anywhere.

Pours a pretty hazy dark orange with a tight, one finger head of cream colored foam. Head drops to 1/8" and sticks right there. You can count every sip on the way down. Great!

Fantastic smells of old grapefruit and orange peels, over ripe lemons, newly mown grass, toffee apples, brown sugar, and alcohol. Estery as hell. Can't wait to dig into this!

The very first flavor is caramel malts, but that's quickly blown away by a huge blast of hop bitterness, and then over ripe citrus peels and other flowery type hops. Strong toffee and caramel fight their way back to the fore, but the aftertaste is definitely floral/citrusy hops, with a dash of heat from alcohol thrown in for good measure. Really good example of style!

Mouthfeel is creamy sweetness, decent zing from carbonation and bittering. Finish is actually more crisp than you might think. Great burps!

As an American IPA, this has to be tough to beat. It has it all. Hops, malt, hops, alcohol, and hops! Drive far for this one!!

12oz bottle into nonic.

Slightly hazy deep amber hue with a two finger head that doesn't quit. Light tan in color, it leaves a film of sticky lacing in its place as it settles. Eventually it becomes a thick pillowy cap.

The aroma is filled with sharp hops that make up most of the smell. There is a smooth malt base, and a hint of diacetyl.

The flavor is sharp citrus hops with a biscuity malt base. There is a little bit of diacetyl in the flavor as well. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The alcohol isn't that detectable until the beer warms up a good amount. The finish is sharp lingering hops.

This is a pretty good IPA, I really enjoyed it. It's probably best fresh, like any IPA. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +15%

Poured an undated 12 oz. bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Received a moderate, tan head with some lacing. Crystaline amber body-- beautiful. So nice I kept holding it up to admire it's clarity and warm hue.

Smell was of crisp hops. Bread with honey. A whiff of metal. and grassy tones.

Taste was of juicy hops! Multidimensional interplay of pleasantly bitter hops and (understated) sweet carmel-y malts. A lingering red grapefruit rind finish.

Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A very well-built IPA. I will return again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours murky orange copper color with a humongous 3 finger foamy off white head that didn’t move and faded extremely slowly, leaving excellent foamy lacing sticking to the sides; this head was so thick that you could carve a letter in it – very impressive.

Smells of piney hops, floral hops, grapefruit, herbs, tea leaf, grains, biscuit and a citrus sweetness that ties everything together quite nicely. The aroma is soft and sweet, with a sugary caramel essence peeking through the blast of hops.

Tastes like it smells with floral hops, piney hops, grapefruit, herbs, tea leaf, lightly roasted grains, biscuit, citrus hops, orange peel, mango, light lemon, spices like pepper and coriander, fruit like apple or pear, some brown sugar, wheat bread, and yeast or some earthy grains that tame the bitterness and make this chewy; well balanced with the malts and grains playing a part in the dry bitter after taste, yet still very hoppy and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, yet oily slick and creamy with a chewy feel at the same time; body is medium, carbonation is light, and the drinkability is exceptional.

This is the first time that I’ve had this from a can and it was excellent; I think the canned version might be better than the bombers that I normally get. Either way, this is a great IPA that I could session anytime; it hid the ABV well and went down so easy that I wish I had another on hand.

4.6/5  rDev +15%

This is what an IPA should be! Hop Ottin screams Columbus. It's the sole hop used for bittering, flavoring and dry hopping. Hop Ottin has a wonderful hop flavor and the bitterness, although assertive, is well balanced by a substantial malt character. Surprisingly the hop aroma could be a tad more pungent for my tastes. Still-- this is one of my very favorite IPAs.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

That looks nice; a bright tangerine which reluctantly yeilds a large, thick beer meringue that holds so well it could give the WONDERbra a run for...
Smells like reduced citrus juice over lemon scone drizzled with orange blossom honey whipped with a pine stick.
Real good lemon bite rolls over grapefruit skins; grapefruit filled with lemon-cranberry curd. Served with toasted honey-wheat wafers. Umm, Kudos on a great IPA that verges on a double.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours crystal-clear amber with two fingers of dense, dimpled, off-white head with good retention.

It has a massive, resinous pine and grapefruit bouquet. Later on the aroma becomes a bit cleaner and more subdued, but pleasant nonetheless.

Tastes aggressively hoppy, at first with prickley pine needles and an initial impression of dryness, but then the caramel malts come in for a second, before receeding back as a lingering grapefruit-rind bitterness lingers. Simple but not softspoken, and West Coast all the way. This is the way I like my IPAs.

With a medium-light body and an apparent dryness, the mouthfeel is surprisingly frothy and creamy. I dig it. I could drink this all day.

Overall, a stellar, highly drinkable example of a West Coast IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +15%

I've had this beer too many times to count so I guess it's time for a review. Dark orange-coppery color as it's poured into glass leaving a decent (for an IPA) head. Very intricate subsequent lacing. Aroma of toasty malts with a not overpowering hop/green smell. Taste, well, for my palate this is as good as it gets. Nice grapefruit flavor at first but mellows leaving a mild aftertaste. I love this beer and all of AV's products.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer looks nice coming out of the bottle. Its a cleat coppery color with a small head. The nose is grand, with lots of citrusy hops balanced lightly with a caramel malt. The flavor was a lovely crisp citrusy blast of hops followed by a nice spicey hop character that had just a bit of caramel sweetness as well. The feel was moderately thick, right where it should be. This is truely a fine beer. I am going to have to pick some more of this up in the future.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a glowing gold with a wonderful off-white head. Head stays with me the whole glass and leaves some fine lacing. Smells so hoppy and flowery. Amazing smell. Tastes wonderfully floral. So complex, so much hop flavor, my taste buds are lost (but extremely happy) in flavor. A hop-head's dream. Aftertaste is quite dry. This a wonderful beer. One of the best "hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppy" beer's I've had to date. Highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a glass, this is deep amber with a nice little frothy head. When I put the beak near it's as if I'm face down in a field of columbus hops. I don't want to stop sniffing, but I guess at some point I need to taste. Once in the mouth this isn't quite as hoppy as the nose would indicate, but it is damn tasty. There is a subtle malt sweetness & a bit of alcohol (it is 7% abv), but mostly just good old columbus. Beautifully bitter & and absolutely a top tier IPA in my book. Big fan, Big fan.

4.62/5  rDev +15.5%

This is a great amber colored beer with a light foam. An aggressive pour released a great nose. The smells were Apple, citrus, and papaya. I thought that it might be too sweet for me but upon tasting it I was surprised to find a deep complex piny IPA with strong notes of simcoe hops. This is a very well rounded beer that has a lot of hop characteristic. with just enough malt to balance it out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Cloudy orange-red with a nice head, decent retention, good lacing.

S: Grapefruit, grain, malt, and nice strong hops.

T: Lighter on the fruit flavor than most IPAs, stronger on the hops. This is definitely one for the hop-lovers; an absolutely bitter hop flavor permeates the taste. It's backed with a nice subtle grainy flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, non-astringent, carbonation is just right.

D: This drinks very well. I will be buying it again for when I don't feel like drinking a very fruity IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

first off, not meaning to skirt some conventional method, but I am drinking straight from the bottle since I do not have a mug within reach. in other words, I am lazy!

the smell is aromatic, with a hint of rose.

the mouthfeel is electrifyingly tart with a good bite of hops, which is topped off with a kick of dryness. this in turn creates a flavorful kick of citrus and a generous amount of hops (can it get any more generous?).

at the back wash, it ends on a nicely mellowed out finish. it is a real compliment to the tongue and throat.

hop ottin!

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours bright orange amber with just a touch of haze. Delicate head with lots of sticky lace left behind. Big, citrusy hop nose with delicate malt sweetness underneath. Sweetness up front (strawberries?) that gets its ass immediately kicked by citric hop bitterness of the classic American style. Still, there's enough of a malt backing here to create balance. Very nice mouthfeel that has balance like the body does -- there's a nice interplay between the acidity of the hops and the slickness of the malts. Overall, a highly drinkable, very well executed IPA. If you're not looking for an extreme IPA, but rather an excellent drinkable IPA that still delivers a hop fix, this is a good choice.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours strong reddish orange hue. Minimal head. Not overpoweringly bitter but you know it's an IPA! Strong yet un-offensive malty aroma. Malt taste overpowers the taste of the hops
in this brew which makes it an exceptional ipa. Smooth and easy to drink with no bite which is rare in a big beer. Well worth the price of admission!!!

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company