Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,916 | Reviews: 1,210
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: A vigorous pour into a snifter yields a short finger of head on top of a burnished copper ale. There are sizable bubbles in the head that cling to the edge of the glass as they pop.

S: The hops up front are almost immediately complemented by a strong malty smell of caramel and fresh grains. The hops add a faint citric aroma with a hint of pineapple.

T: A strong start from the malt is accompanied by a pleasant bitterness from the hops. Additional late bitterness lingers drying out the finish. Excellent balance in this one.

M: Smooth creamy mouthfeel from the malt accompanied by the prickly bitterness from the hops. It doesn't get much better than this.

D: A bit strong to rush through, I'll take my time with this one and wish I had another to follow.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Had my sister pick up a couple bottles of this when she was in Asheville a few months ago and I have just now gotten around to trying it out. Pours a slightly murky amber color with a good amount of lacing. Smell is sweeter than I was expecting with some floral notes, bits of citrus. Taste is fantastic! Very complex, as it starts it starts off with hops and floral notes, moves onto citrus flavors and finishes very malty. Good mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Overall, an excellent IPA. I wish I could get this one regularly.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Bottle, poured into Sammy Smith glass. Presents a slightly hazed rich amber; the cloudiness seems to make it glow. Good solid head composed of small bubbles and some rockiness. Settle to no head in the middle but globs around the rim; like a crater.
Smell is herbal and floral hops, some sweet malt and coriander. Ginger seems to creep in there.
Taste is a very nice balance of hops, with just enough malt to keep it tame. Citrus and spice mix around, giving the beer nice complexity.
Crisp, clean, very nice. Perhaps misses the IPA mark a bit, but I really like drinking this> big ups on drinkability

4.55/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a caramel gold with light foaming.

There’s a wonderfully subdued orange-citrus hop aroma, with a hint of piney spice.

The flavor comes off as enough of a west coast IPA for the hop addict, with enough malt backing to balance it out. Delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

I picked up a couple of bottles of Hop Ottin’ IPA at an upscale grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours an orange/copper color and is hazy. A rich foamy two-finger offr-white head forms and is quite resilient. The head dissipates slowly, leaving islands of foam on the surface and heavy lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is strong and floral. There are some evergreen notes, and some orange blossom fragrances.

The taste is sweet and flavorful. There is a bit of a biscuit flavor up front, with some sweet citrus fruit and honey flavors, then a stinging hop finish. The flavors are well balanced and complex. Very nice tasting beer indeed.

The mouth feel is crisp and clean. It is a very tangy and refreshing brew.

This is a drinkable beer, and an excellent representation of the style. One of the best IPAs I’ve had, and I’ll definitely have it again.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Picked up a bottle at Papago Brewing for $1.75.

This dark orange brew poured a beautiful head that is leaving a nice trail down my glass. Detecting floral and piney hop notes. Taste is a perfect blend of malts into a big hop finish. Mouthfeel almost has a creamy quality to it and the hops bring my palate alive. This is one fine IPA, one of the better ones I have had of late! I will have to hunt down a six-pack of this!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the brown 12 oz. bottle into my pint glass to form a perfect 1" head of rocky, off white foam over the top of an orange hazy liquid. The head had great stickage.

Nose: A little faint, but i could pick up some pine and citrus.

Taste: Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout!... RIGHT on style... a nice floral/citric hops balanced out by a nice toasted malt. Bitterness prevails in the end.... but it's nice.... not too astringent.

MF: Creamy goodness. Thick and robust... just like I like it.

Drinkability: Go for it.... NO this is NOT a dounble IPA... it's an American IPA.... and a FINE EXAMPLE of that!

4.55/5  rDev +14%

i haven't spent anytime reviewing the classics here on BA. this is a classic, if there ever was one. this is one of the best IPA's i've had the pleasure of consuming. The fact that an Indian owned liqor store carries this fresh for 6.99 a sixer less than a block and a half from house makes me realize that there are many worse beer locations to live in than Sacramento, despite it's lack of a beer bar of any sort.

appearance: ok so it's not exactly pale. it's more of a light amber...between a standard pale ale and a typical amber. The head won't quit on this one and lacing is amazing. just absolutly top notch.

smell: when you just sit and smell for 2 minutes without even taking a sip you know it's a great beer. just an awsome hop smell with the malts chilling in the backround. Anderson valley keeps the hop bill a secret...but i noticed a strong similarity to Scape goat pale in the aroma. They list their hops as Kent Goldings and Crystal....so take my sherlock homes work at face value. I think i've figured out that i'm not the biggest cascade fan and to me this is one of the best smelling ipa's.

Taste: really, really, really balanced. West Coast balanced at 2:1 hops to malts ratio.This isn't overly hoped or bitter by any means. Nice carmaly malts hit up front. Then over the next 10 seconds a strong bitter aftertaste puckers you right up, as if you bit a lemon. (bitter beer face!) Then you want to take another sip. I don't think i'd call this one overly complex...but you taste mulitple layers of hops...2 or mabey three different kinds. but again you don't need to think to much. If it has a fault, it's being too balanced towards the malts....i would like it just a notch more hoppy.

mouthfeel: pretty solid. not watery like some ipa's
drinkability: well when a beer taste's this good i can drink it all nite. but this is a medium paced beer...not a slow sipper but not a pounder or anything.

thoughts: in my mind this beer and Stone IPA should bare knuckle fight it out for California king of IPA's. An IPA shouldn't be gimmickly, it shouldn't be underhoped. Half the Ipa's i try are bullshit...slap the ipa label on with no consept of style. This beer only breaks the mold by being slightly too amber, but really who cares? It's a classic Ipa through and through. While breweries like Russian River and Moonlight(and every other brewery) bust out with triple ipa's....it's nice to have a beer to drink that won't destroy your palete for 3 days. This is one of the best beers to grace the earth.

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%

When I reach for an IPA, this is the kind of beer I want to find in my hand. Yummy, yummy. This was a nicely bitter beer that managed to balance the 7% alcohol and high hop content with that magic quality: good taste. This beer comes highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

Had this one right after a Hop Devil on draft, and believe me I am a huge fan of the Devil but there is not a clear winner in this head for head match up. This one was poured with a nice head, and it appeared with the same amber copper tone as the Hop Devil. After cleansing with some water, I began to test the aroma of the beer. Seemed mild, but as the beer warmed up the floral hops seemed to have a sweeter scent of hops. Great flavor that fulfills any hop heads desires and dreams. This one has a great floral taste that finishes with a perfect combination of sweetness and spiciness. Another fine selection that was thoroughly enjoyed.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass. No expiration date found on the bottle or 6pack case. Pours a dark brown with a huge head, about two finger. Beautiful looking beer. Smells of floral hops, sweet malts and I get a big waft of caramel. Taste is not your average hoppy IPA. I get huge amounts of caramel, dominated the whole mouthfeel and pallet. Mild carbonation and drowned out hoppy aftertaste. This brew is so amazingly drinkable and sweet. Such a great take on an IPA. I could almost session this beer it's so drinkable. ABV is well hidden. Overall, I'm extremely impressed. This shoots close to the top of my IPA list. I see mixed reviews but I find it hard to believe. The bros hit it on the head, it's world class in my opinion.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

I scored this CAN during a recent beer-buying excursion to PHL and I plan to make another foray on 26 December - if anyone wants this (or any other CANs), let me know before that date.

It is now a Purple CAN Afternoon and I have a) spotted Barney in one corner of the room while b) a parade of pink elephants just went by. Should I cut back?

From the (Purple) CAN: "Bahl Hornin' Since 1987"; "Solar Powered Brewery"; "The Legendary Boonville Brewery".

The CRack & gLug (sorry, residual damage from Moat Mountain) came off without a hitch and produced a thick, fluffy finger-and-a-half of tawny head that acted like it was going to hang around like the uninvited guest at the end of the night. Color was a deep, shiny copper like the handful of pennies that I recently got in change. I have had many redheaded girlfriends, but the one with this color of hair was the one that got away. There's a tear in my beer 'cause I'm cryin' for ya, dear! A good whiff of minty hops brings me right back to my senses and this delivered. Forget Smelling Salts, I'm going to market Smelling Hops for the hophead who may be asleep at the bar. Ask for it on any street corner where the finer drugs are peddled. Ah, the old Iron Fist Wrapped In Velvet Routine! Eighth time I've fallen for it this week. I was initially like Mowgli in "The Jungle Book", listening to Kaa hiss "Trust in Me" when suddenly, I took a bullet between the eyes! It initially enveloped my tongue in a sweet caress, gently working back and forth until WHAM! hops out the ying-yang and I was on my back on the floor wondering how I got there. 7% indeed. Hops and malt in a stunning interaction and looking at the dense lacing that remained, I wondered how I did not see it coming. I was distracted by thinking about that dame, I suppose. Finish left me satiated for the moment, but that feeling never lasts and I'm going to have to score again real soon, I just know it. Why, oh why, did I ever get hooked in the first place? BECAUSE I LOOOOVE HOPS, that's why and if you are awaiting real regret, hold your breath! I crave hops and this delivered. It will certainly have a place in my Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually) cooler as well as accompanying me to the beach and elsewhere.

Served in a pint glass

A: pours a beautiful deep amber that is slightly hazy with a nice amount of head that is quite foamy and leaves nice lacing
S: beautiful citrus hop scent
T: great citrus hop taste, nice sweetness
M: slightly dry to begin with, smooth on the palate, medium carbonation
O: highly drinkable, really like this one

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange color crowned with a thin rimming of creamy white foam that settles to a moderate lacing on the glass.

S: Heavy malts. Brown sugar, butterscotch, caramel and pine.

T: Sweet malty base with notes of brown sugar, butterscotch and gooey caramel quickly yields to an aggressive front of hoppy goodness that results in a sustained and lingering bitterness. Biscuit and toffee surfaces as it warms. In the end, hops prevail over malts with a crisp and satisfying finish.

M: Full-bodied with a coarse feel that runs roughshod over the palate.

D: Complex yet balanced, both sweet and bitter. Hop Ottin' is an outstanding American IPA that's as intriguing as it is drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I flew into San Jose, drove to Whole Foods and bought this 6 pack on the way to the hotel. Coming from Seattle what a pleasant surprise! Buy the Bear! Share it with your friends, this beer is fun, perfect for Palo Alto! The only proven is I am sure you can't get it in Texas

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber/honey colored with thick foamy head. There is excellent head and lacing retention. Piney, grassy smell with hints of citrus. Strong piney/grassy taste at the beginning. A bitter bitey, hops follows with a mild malty taste at the end. There is a pronounced bitter aftertaste. Definitely a beer for hop heads. It has a really good balance of hops and malt.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I got this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. Can't find a date on the bottle anywhere.

Pours a pretty hazy dark orange with a tight, one finger head of cream colored foam. Head drops to 1/8" and sticks right there. You can count every sip on the way down. Great!

Fantastic smells of old grapefruit and orange peels, over ripe lemons, newly mown grass, toffee apples, brown sugar, and alcohol. Estery as hell. Can't wait to dig into this!

The very first flavor is caramel malts, but that's quickly blown away by a huge blast of hop bitterness, and then over ripe citrus peels and other flowery type hops. Strong toffee and caramel fight their way back to the fore, but the aftertaste is definitely floral/citrusy hops, with a dash of heat from alcohol thrown in for good measure. Really good example of style!

Mouthfeel is creamy sweetness, decent zing from carbonation and bittering. Finish is actually more crisp than you might think. Great burps!

As an American IPA, this has to be tough to beat. It has it all. Hops, malt, hops, alcohol, and hops! Drive far for this one!!

12oz bottle into nonic.

Slightly hazy deep amber hue with a two finger head that doesn't quit. Light tan in color, it leaves a film of sticky lacing in its place as it settles. Eventually it becomes a thick pillowy cap.

The aroma is filled with sharp hops that make up most of the smell. There is a smooth malt base, and a hint of diacetyl.

The flavor is sharp citrus hops with a biscuity malt base. There is a little bit of diacetyl in the flavor as well. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The alcohol isn't that detectable until the beer warms up a good amount. The finish is sharp lingering hops.

This is a pretty good IPA, I really enjoyed it. It's probably best fresh, like any IPA. Recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured an undated 12 oz. bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Received a moderate, tan head with some lacing. Crystaline amber body-- beautiful. So nice I kept holding it up to admire it's clarity and warm hue.

Smell was of crisp hops. Bread with honey. A whiff of metal. and grassy tones.

Taste was of juicy hops! Multidimensional interplay of pleasantly bitter hops and (understated) sweet carmel-y malts. A lingering red grapefruit rind finish.

Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. A very well-built IPA. I will return again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours murky orange copper color with a humongous 3 finger foamy off white head that didn’t move and faded extremely slowly, leaving excellent foamy lacing sticking to the sides; this head was so thick that you could carve a letter in it – very impressive.

Smells of piney hops, floral hops, grapefruit, herbs, tea leaf, grains, biscuit and a citrus sweetness that ties everything together quite nicely. The aroma is soft and sweet, with a sugary caramel essence peeking through the blast of hops.

Tastes like it smells with floral hops, piney hops, grapefruit, herbs, tea leaf, lightly roasted grains, biscuit, citrus hops, orange peel, mango, light lemon, spices like pepper and coriander, fruit like apple or pear, some brown sugar, wheat bread, and yeast or some earthy grains that tame the bitterness and make this chewy; well balanced with the malts and grains playing a part in the dry bitter after taste, yet still very hoppy and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, yet oily slick and creamy with a chewy feel at the same time; body is medium, carbonation is light, and the drinkability is exceptional.

This is the first time that I’ve had this from a can and it was excellent; I think the canned version might be better than the bombers that I normally get. Either way, this is a great IPA that I could session anytime; it hid the ABV well and went down so easy that I wish I had another on hand.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

This is what an IPA should be! Hop Ottin screams Columbus. It's the sole hop used for bittering, flavoring and dry hopping. Hop Ottin has a wonderful hop flavor and the bitterness, although assertive, is well balanced by a substantial malt character. Surprisingly the hop aroma could be a tad more pungent for my tastes. Still-- this is one of my very favorite IPAs.

51.5F
That looks nice; a bright tangerine which reluctantly yeilds a large, thick beer meringue that holds so well it could give the WONDERbra a run for...
Smells like reduced citrus juice over lemon scone drizzled with orange blossom honey whipped with a pine stick.
Real good lemon bite rolls over grapefruit skins; grapefruit filled with lemon-cranberry curd. Served with toasted honey-wheat wafers. Umm, Kudos on a great IPA that verges on a double.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours crystal-clear amber with two fingers of dense, dimpled, off-white head with good retention.

It has a massive, resinous pine and grapefruit bouquet. Later on the aroma becomes a bit cleaner and more subdued, but pleasant nonetheless.

Tastes aggressively hoppy, at first with prickley pine needles and an initial impression of dryness, but then the caramel malts come in for a second, before receeding back as a lingering grapefruit-rind bitterness lingers. Simple but not softspoken, and West Coast all the way. This is the way I like my IPAs.

With a medium-light body and an apparent dryness, the mouthfeel is surprisingly frothy and creamy. I dig it. I could drink this all day.

Overall, a stellar, highly drinkable example of a West Coast IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

I've had this beer too many times to count so I guess it's time for a review. Dark orange-coppery color as it's poured into glass leaving a decent (for an IPA) head. Very intricate subsequent lacing. Aroma of toasty malts with a not overpowering hop/green smell. Taste, well, for my palate this is as good as it gets. Nice grapefruit flavor at first but mellows leaving a mild aftertaste. I love this beer and all of AV's products.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer looks nice coming out of the bottle. Its a cleat coppery color with a small head. The nose is grand, with lots of citrusy hops balanced lightly with a caramel malt. The flavor was a lovely crisp citrusy blast of hops followed by a nice spicey hop character that had just a bit of caramel sweetness as well. The feel was moderately thick, right where it should be. This is truely a fine beer. I am going to have to pick some more of this up in the future.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company