Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -28%

Pours a deep amber/orange with a decent white head on top. This retained well as it hung around almost the entire time. Decent spotty lacing. No prominent rings sticking though. Smelled of tart citrus and floral hops. Some malt in the background as well.

This is an incredibly spicy and bitter IPA. Balance is non-existent. I crave bitterness in my IPA's, but I also appreciate balance. This is peppery and bitter. I can't place any citrus or piney backbone, just harsh scalding bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp and firm. Decent. I really couldn't drink more than one of these as my palate is torched. There's definitely better, more balanced West Coast IPA's out there.

Onenote81, Feb 23, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -27.5%

Sampled at homebrew club meeting

A - Poured golden with a 1-fingered, white head. Dissipated moderately slow and left little lacing.

S - Toffee and caramel. Hmm, no hops. Is this an IPA?

T - Toffee, caramel, and bittering hops.

M - Dominated by bittering hops, and thin. The malts and hops do not mesh in the mouthfeel. Almost as if they are completely separate!

D - This is less than what I expect from AV. No aroma or flavor hops were apparent in this example.

MisterClean, Apr 16, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured some a 12 oz can into a standard pint glass.

A: Amber body with generous 2 finger head. Great looking beer.

S: Oof. Smells like rotting fruit in a gym sock. Wasn't doing anything for me.

T: Luckily it tastes better than it smells. But this is way too fruity for my tastes.

M: Pretty balanced overall. Not too sticky like some IPAs.

O: Wasn't really impressed with this one, and I doubt I'll seek it out again. So many other better Californian IPAs, IMHO.

hoppytobehere, Sep 22, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

Solar powered beer? Isn't everything solar powered when you get down to it? Except for geothermal vents. Anyways.

Nice bottle. Looks nature-y. Poured into a pint glass. Ruddy dark tang, some vibrant orange hints, and a dense tan head that floats and gradually fades to nice lacing.

Nose is strong west coast hops. One-note but nice.

Taste is bitter hops that are musty and grainy. Kind of a big clash of hops and malts, with no clear winner and a lot of confusion. Not subtle. Slight paint thinner / alcohol dry aftertaste. Not a good thing, but not horrific. Decent mouthfeel.

shivtim, Feb 03, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours the typical medium amber orange with a fairly large white head that leave some lacing.

Hop nose is understated for an IPA and sweet malt is apparent. A faint spicy scent as well.

Taste is bitter from the onset, hops are again understated. An unpleasant sourness is present, but fleeting. Bitterness hangs on well after this one passes the gullett.

It has a stingin, biting mouthfeel and fairly light.

I'll pass on this for a better IPA. This might be a good starter IPA for those who aren't ready for a hop-o-rific beer.

budsboy, Jun 04, 2004
2.94/5  rDev -26.5%

Self-identifies as an India Pale Ale. 7% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz purple aluminum can with no visible best before date served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired earlier tonight. Expectations are very high given its current ratings and the brewery - whose oatmeal stout I quite like.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with chili pepper spinach.

A: Pours a five finger light khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, decent frothiness, decent looking texture (not horribly soft, but not off-putting), and good (~5+ minute) retention for the relatively high ABV. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a fairly vibrant palish copper; translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exactly what you'd expect an IPA to look like, but the head retention is a highlight. I don't notice any overt flaws. Standard fare, but right on the money for the style. Looking forward to trying it. Not real creamy looking.

Sm: Pleasant and diverse floral hop character is prominent, resting on a pale malt base. Lilac and other distinct flowery notes. It's a mild strength aroma. Clean and fragrant. Otherwise, I don't get other types of hop character; maybe some light grapefruit citrus esters. Some caramalt in the base. Light tropical hop notes; pineapple may be the only distinct one I can identify. An appealing aroma for the style with some interesting hop choices. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. It's not coming off exceptional, so my expectations are for it to be good but not great at this point. I'm hoping it proves me wrong...

T: Hm. It's not your typical IPA build - especially for the emergent "West Coast IPA" style trend. Perfumey floral hop notes with plenty of tropical notes - pinapple and perhaps passionfruit among them - and a palpable half-hidden hop bitterness on the climax accompanied by a light twinge of grapefruit esters. Foundation is pale malts and a surprisingly high caramel (malt) bill. Very vague light pine buried in there, too. Sweet up front giving in to a bitter metallic taste in the third act which stays with you on the finish; that's its only major flaw. Consequently, the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is far from ideal. I do find the build interesting and - dareisay - unique, but this requires serious tuning to be a truly great brew. I do like it in a general sense. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: I'd like it more oily to accompany the noncommital pine. Smooth and wet for the majority of the structure - except for some dryness and coarseness in the third act. Okay thickness; it thins way too much in the late second act. On the harder end of water hardness. Certainly not soft on the palate. A biteen overcarbonated, but not biting or sharp. A bit rubbery and inconsistent; it's not an even texture by any means. Not as creamy as I'd like, except right on the climax - but the hop bitterness is too distracting at that point for it to be pleasant. A messy mouthfeel that doesn't suit the flavour profile except incidentally.

Dr: A bit boggled by the high ratings for this beer currently. As much as I like a lot of the brewery's other work, this just isn't an impressive IPA - especially for those of us who value balance in an IPA. I like and respect that it tries to do something different in the style; its choices in terms of hops and flavour is pretty unique. It just doesn't come off like it should. Drinkable but not worth picking up again. I'd like to revisit this on-draught; the metallic off-flavour really kills this one for me.

C

kojevergas, May 11, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Amber color with a huge orangey, frothy head that leaves crusty peaks like meringue as it dissipates. Aroma is of hop, citrus, and pine. The taste is a quick hops kick, plus a sharp lemon flavor, reminiscent of Pledge. Crisp and creamy mouthfeel, and here comes that Pledge again. Sharp lemon flavor stabs at the back of the throat. The hops is overpowered by the lemon. Better for polishing furniture than for drinking.

far333, May 22, 2003

My first review!

Having spent the last couple of months working my way through the hop monsters available in my area, I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately I was not impressed.

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Looked to have been on the shelf for some time as evidenced by a good layer of dust. Poured into a 12 oz tulip/goblet hybrid glass.

A- Looked good, nice medium red, a little cloudier than I've seen in other offerings. Reasonable head after aggresssive pour that didn't last long.

S- Nice at first, citrus and hoppy but turned slighty musty (malty?) after a few minutes in the glass

T- The first sip was pleasant, even very good. I had a couple of my first HopDevils the night before and thought I was on the same track. After a few sips however, a distinctly musty character presented itself. I thought to blame in on the sharp cheddar I had just had and even went so far as to rinse my mouth out with distilled water and try again, but it would not go away.

M- Spread across the palate in a big way. Didn't seem as strong as the 7% indicated.

D- Not good. Had to force my way through a second bottle which I opened to be sure the first wasn't a bad example.

I guess I may be spoiled by my earlier experiences with Alpha King, HopDevil and my new found obsession with DFH 90 minute, but I would not drink this one again. The remaining four bottles will go to future guests.

dhchatfield, Apr 04, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a soft amber color with an off-white head that leaves behind very nice, extensive lacing. Aromas of hops, citrus, and grapefruit come out. The taste is rather astringent with poorly mixed flavors. The hop bitterness is clearly present, but it seems to fight the sweetness also present. A very uncomfortable aftertaste develops that leaves my mouth overly dry and soap-like. I didn't want to finish my pint, nor would I want another one of these.

jaluria, Dec 15, 2005

Reviewed 12/22/2008 (Tap @ Yardhouse, Glendale, AZ):

Pours a filtered clear amber brown color body. Very creamy white head, big and lasting. Somewhat nutty bitter aroma, some grapefruitiness. Some strawberries. Bitter dry taste Watery palate. Not a harsh aftertaste. Mostly bitterness. Pretty balanced. Sweeter taste as it warms up.

jujubeast6000, Jan 06, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

A - Pours a clear amber with a 1 finger off-white head that takes it's time sinking. Thick sheets of lacing. Very good looking beer.

S - Floral hops, hints of grapefruit rind, yeasty, toasted malt.

T - Lots of floral and herbal bitterness right away. The hops have a salty wood character and are very dry. Faint notes of malt struggle to come out. The bitterness turns to grapefruit towards the end. Finishes crisp and dry.

M - Medium body and good amount of carbonation.

The herbal hops provide plenty of bitterness but little flavor. The malt is barely there and is crushed by the hops. Pretty unbalanced. If this had more flavor I would have rated it higher.

StaveHooks, Feb 07, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

A: appears a slightly cloudy orangeish amber with a bright white and sticky head, heavy lacing

S: pine needles and earthy hops dominate the aroma with some underlying caramel malt character

T: the front starts out with a touch of malty sweetness and quickly become spicy and bitter from the piney hop character. The finish is a bit sharp. I'm not really digging the hop profile on this. Detectable booziness on the finish.

MF: high carbonation...maybe too high, medium body

D: not a bad brew, but with so many superior IPAs out there, I don't see my self drinking this one again.

homebrew311, Dec 06, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

A- Pale with a red-ish/amber hue. This beer poured crystal clear with the fluffiest of off-white head, which laced down the glass in a very pleasing way.

S- A little piney, not a lot of aroma here.

T- Typical West Coast hop notes of grapefruit lead into delicate honey and maple flavors. Not a very complex beer but perhaps I'm missing something.

M- Slightly astringent, but effervescent enough to quell it before it becomes an issue. This leads to a perception of imbalance, but give it time (a moment, a moment or two) and you'll be pleased with the sweet profile that follows.

D- This beer is not stellar example, but I would happily drink a few with friends on a brisk Autumn day in Anderson Valley. A good sesh IPA that is worth a pint or two.

* I would note the previous review to mine. I had one the other night and remember being far more impressed than I am tonight. This may be due, in part, to inconsistent packaging procedures./???

DougBrew, Jan 21, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a clear amber with clear, ringing orange highlights. There is only a low, foamy head. Decent lacing follows down the side of the glass. Not bad, but could be much better.

Smell is of mango, booze, tangerine. Not as pungent as I'd like.

Taste is overwhelmingly of booze. Harsh hops kick in about halfway with a harsh, metallic bite. There's only bitterness here, no hop flavor -- and this from a fan of Ruination. Where is the pine? Where is the tropical fruit, the citrus? The only respite is a little bit of honeyed sweetness mid-sip, but it's a short, brief respite. Not impressive. Too much booze, sloppily organized hops. Proof that great beer needs organization -- and it's sadly lacking here.

Mouthfeel is fine, more seafoam and what have you.

Overall, this is a pretty underwhelming beer. Considering how much I liked their Poleeko Gold Pale Ale, it's an especially surprising result. Hops, booze, and chaos. I'd call it a double IPA, but even then, it's not a graceful one. Not a fan.

ithacabaron, Jun 03, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -25.5%

The beer has nice clarity for an IPA. Nice copper color. Medium head that sticks around. Very nice herbal hop tones in the aroma. There's a pungency in the taste that I don't like and don't think is appropriate. Medium to full bodied with a solid malt backing. I think this is a pretty average IPA. I've never been blown away by an IPA from AV.

Bighuge, Apr 19, 2002