2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,278 | Reviews: 1,157 | Show All Ratings:
JustShutUpStupid

4.53/5  rDev +13%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solar powered Elk piss it is not. It's a hoppy foam face IPA with 7.0 power. Something to admire. After it settles, the head of beer looks like some toxic creek water foam, the kind that washes up on shore or swirls around in sludge filled eddy. Yes it is that good. The hoppy smell is not up to par with a Dogfish 90 minute choke hold but super IPAs can get old and expensive when you drink often. Did I say 7.0 ABV - 6 pack cans for a lot less. Taste..slightly citrus and malty..good enough for the dude. Pour it and ask your girl friend what she thinks of that...

10-13-2012 00:47:50 | More by JustShutUpStupid
3beerdudes

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought single 12oz bottle. Poured into tulip pint glass. Clear, deep amber/rust color with two finger head. Smelled pine with a hint of citrus in the background. First sip was good, not overbearing. Second taste was better than the first. There is not any undesirable aftertaste; drinkable, not overly hoppy, I could definitely drink another without feeling weighted down. This is a solid IPA that would appeal to those who like IPAs that don't punch them in the face. (Beer dude #3)

03-18-2013 19:04:12 | More by 3beerdudes
Cramletram

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Great IPA. I had high expectations for this one due to the high score here. It did not disappoint. The best way to describe Hop Ottin' is "well balanced". I know many BAers have used this term for this beer, and I couldn't agree more. It's a strong beerl but doesn't over-do it on any characteristic. Hops are present, but in the mix. Very enjoyable all-round. When I'm in the mood for something a little stronger, I go DIPA. But for a great regular IPA, you can't go wrong here.

10-19-2013 07:39:27 | More by Cramletram
wamu2000

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

this is a solid IPA. High abv sticks to the mouth. I like my IPAs to settle in the throat...aftertaste & aroma are good to above average. Very Hoppin, as advertised, i liked it. Aroma is the only attribute lacking, otherwise topshelf IPA worth a "must try". Thank you sir, may I have another...

08-26-2007 02:40:21 | More by wamu2000
colinsk

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is available in lots of places in Northern California. It is my goto IPA when I just need a beer in a hurry. It is a little dark for my liking at a light copper color but not out of style. It has a strong aroma of hops that is pleasant and not too purfume.

09-13-2007 16:23:34 | More by colinsk
drmarks

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer had a really strong hoppy kick. The aftertaste lasted for a long time and was really strong and enjoyable. Enjoyed drinking it while being strong and a little bitter. Great beer that I will definitely drink again and would happy to carry in my bar

04-17-2012 01:05:33 | More by drmarks
gks5004

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

L: Golden copper color, fluffy white head slight color, leaves nice lacing.

S: Big hop aroma, citrusy, very appetizing hoppy smell

T: Bitter alpha acids, hoppy bitter aftertaste, malts are surprisingly thin and overpowered by hops, bitterness stays present all the way through

M: surprisingly light, good carbonation

D: very bitter, i'm just not in the mood today to tackle this much bitterness

not a bad IPA, would prefer a bit more of a malt backbone to up the mouthfeel and give more balance, very hoppy but surprisingly 1 dimensional, overall a solid beer, will definitely try again when I have the cravings for hops

05-01-2010 03:56:49 | More by gks5004
fortheloveofbooz

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

BuxMontBeerLover

A - Pours a bit cloudy, nice golden color, foamy dense head on the pour...very thick head.

S - Cramel aroma with nice citrus notes, vanilla, and even a little bit of apricot or another stone fruit.

T - A quality IPA that is well balanced with a slight sweetness, again the caramel notes coming though from the malts. Has a hint of apricot that confirms what was on the nose. Very nice citrus taste that pairs perfectly with the hoppy

M- medium carbonation and medium ++ constancy.

O - This is a great, easy drinking IPA. A little malted then what I normally go for but I really enjoyed it.

06-03-2012 00:59:32 | More by fortheloveofbooz
strimpf

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass clear amber with a fluffy, white head. The nose is very flowery pine notes with some slight astringent smell I can't describe any better..
There wasn't much front-end flavor, just the piney taste of hops. Seems like the malt took a holiday. The finish was fairly strong and lingering with bitter pineyness.
I don't want to use the word 'slimy' to describe the feel, but it was kind of like that. Slight tingle of carbonation on the tongue. Not unpleasant but less than expected.
With the pretty pour and flowery smell, I was hoping for some complex flavors and crispness, but was left a little disappointed. That said, this is not a bad IPA. Don't let the can fool you.

03-25-2013 02:45:57 | More by strimpf
Jenks

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Aroma – Fairly strong malt aroma for an IPA but it is pleasant, it reminds of caramel malt with maybe just a touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is moderate and has a mint and grapefruit character. As the beer warms the most dominating aroma is the grapefruit hop.

Appearance – Nice copper/redish color which pours a thick off white head. Beer is almost clear but does have a slight haze while looking through it. The head remains throughout the drinking experience and produces some very nice lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

Flavor –The balance of this beer is very nice in the beginning of the taste. There is good hop and malt character but the beer is definitely balanced on the hop side. Towards the end of the taste, the flavor is dominated by the hops and leaves a bit of a hop bite on the tongue. The malt flavor is present but not very distinguishable behind the hops; I cannot pick out the caramel or chocolate flavors that I found in the aroma. There are no detectable fermentation flaws or issues and I cannot taste any yeast contributions to the beer.

Mouthfeel – The beer is medium-light and goes down smooth. It does have a touch of astringency which may be caused by the hop bitterness. Moderate carbonation. Has the bitter hopped aftertaste that is synonymous of an IPA

Overall – This is a nicely done IPA that can be enjoyed year round. It is aggressively hopped and I would have liked to have sensed some alcohol warmness to go with the strong hop bitterness so an increased grain bill would be nice but I wouldn’t want to mess with the balance and body of the beer which was done very nicely. I would also imagine that this would be better as a fresh beer to really present the hop aromas and flavor on the same level that the bitterness is present

05-19-2013 00:41:56 | More by Jenks
Bosazga

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

I've seen this in CA only but noticed it on tap at a fave pizza joint in PDX today...
Appearance: this is what I've always imagined beer to look like in Heaven. Perfect copper amber color with a frothy initial head that tapers off nicely
Smell- I can't smell so great today, but I'm getting a fresh latex paint smell - not turned off though
Taste- I'm not so much into the IPA floral bouquet ... This has a good bitter bite on the front end but a nice even finish with a touch of malt
Mouthfeel- amazing. Even is the best way to describe it. Not heavy, or light, but definitely robust.
I would put this up against the Plinies any day ... And choose it over them

03-29-2014 02:38:26 | More by Bosazga
ccbrewing

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

As a brewery owner, I feel that credit should be given to those that consistently strive for making great beer. Hats off to Anderson Valley for continuing to make a great example of a drinkable IPA. Not over the top, not to anything, just a nice balance of all things that make this style a favorite. Keep up the good work.

10-29-2008 01:45:12 | More by ccbrewing
sloppysocks

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours strong reddish orange hue. Minimal head. Not overpoweringly bitter but you know it's an IPA! Strong yet un-offensive malty aroma. Malt taste overpowers the taste of the hops
in this brew which makes it an exceptional ipa. Smooth and easy to drink with no bite which is rare in a big beer. Well worth the price of admission!!!

11-02-2008 05:55:12 | More by sloppysocks
sictyrannis

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

On tap, served in a pint glass:

Pours a deep, copper color with amber tints. Nice, 2 finger foam head that dissipates to leave a nice lace on the glass.

The best aspect of the beer was how great it smelled. Extremely floral, a great pine smell, and lots of citrus, with a malty backbone. I even held it up to my nose for a while to savor the smell a bunch.

This seems like a pretty average IPA taste-wise, with extra bitterness up front and not much on the backend. The flavor was not very complex--just hoppy bitterness with a weaker pine finish. There wasn't much else to the flavor structure, and although I enjoy my IPAs, I enjoy a bit more complexity and a more bitter/clean aftertaste.

This beer was not carbonated enough and felt like water. Very light-bodied, if you are into that.

I could go for another, but with all the other IPAs around, I'd probably grab one of those beforehand.

10-31-2009 08:32:20 | More by sictyrannis
AHNUBIS

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

I first smelled this beer when I was 6 months sober at a campout and I wasn't drinking. One of my buddies had this. If yall know how much your sense of smell kicks in when you get sober you'll know what I'm talking about. This beer is FLORAL. I smelled this and though I was hittin a bouquet of fruit and flowers. About 3 months later I started drinking again and picked some up at the grocery. D@MN YO!!! This has like wine conocisour aftertastes and hints of this and dat. This wouldn't be a go-to drink at all for me cuz its too funky. This is by all means an "A" beer though and is something everyone should experience.

01-04-2011 07:52:37 | More by AHNUBIS
HopSteppa

3.48/5  rDev -13.2%

I was excited tasting my first Anderson Valley brew. on first pour, it came out a nice reddish brown. pretty thin and well formed white head.

smell's like oranges and citrus notes. on first sip, the hop hit me right in the face. maybe this is a little too strong for me, but the hop high cools down to a pretty gentle caramel tasting malt. I would say you need more patience to tease the different flavors and it does get better the more you drink the beer.

okay IPA in my book, don't think I'll be looking for another Hop Ottin, maybe a smoother toned down version is better for me.

06-07-2012 04:11:44 | More by HopSteppa
Canuckkim

Indiana

Hop Ottin' is an excellent session IPA. I found 6-pack cans of this beer at Applejack's in Wheatridge, CO.

Visually, Hop Ottin' is golden caramel in color, darker than average IPAs, but fitting with the caramel sweetness in the beer.

When you lift the beer to your nose you'll smell pine, citrus, and earth.
This beer tastes like a good balance of hoppy bitterness with caramel maltiness... a good beginner IPA for those ready to take the plunge.

Pair this can with your favorite outdoor music festival and you'll be happy all day long.

www.inkybeer.com

07-21-2012 02:45:45 | More by Canuckkim
Sipzzz

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my top-5 beers thus far, i got this from a local craft beer shop.

Appearance is nice, but not admirable. Copper head with a light amber body.

Smell is floral with notes of hops, not very strong though even after being poured.

Taste is spectacular. I tend to enjoy darker beers, but this brew has captured flavors i am still amazed by, i will be keeping this beer in my fridge from now on just for the flavor.

Mouthfeel is the same as Yeungling, not drying but a little course, however the taste is such a splender i actually had to open another one to pin-point the mouth feel, so high ratings here.

This is a great beer.

01-16-2014 05:36:27 | More by Sipzzz
arc0042

Alabama

4.48/5  rDev +11.7%

After reading some of the reviews about this beer, I absolutely had to do a review, because I happen to disagree with a lot of what I saw.

One of the most common complaints is that the cans are extremely carbonated and explode upon opening. Always make it a habit to tap the top of ANY can you ever open, just a few firm taps or thumps work perfectly. You'll never deal with another mess again if you do this. With that being said, this beer IS rather aggressively carbonated, but I think it adds wonderfully to the flavor "pop" and mouthfeel.

As far as the malt bill goes, this is my favorite malt bill out of any IPA I've ever tried. It is incredibly complex, and not for the faint of heart. It is very front-forward with caramel sweetness, slight nutty tones, and also lends a subtle flavor that I would consider close to that of a granny smith apple. This IPA actually reminds me of apple juice in a lot of ways.

For the hops, this once again is not a beer for the faint of heart. I mean there are HOPS in this beer. I believe it is 80 IBU's or so at 7%. The hops are predominantly piney, herbal, and floral. There is also a little "kick" or spice to them. The hops are what make this beer. It is very aggressively hopped, which is the reason it is probably my favorite IPA in the world. The only others that come close would be Ruination IPA or Two-Hearted Ale.

I don't mention lacing or head when reviewing IPA's because I'm a firm believer that pouring these beers actually decreases the flavor and sometimes the brewer's purpose for the beer. Sure, you release aroma this way, but with this release comes the release of essential oils that the brewer intended to remain within the beer. Seeing that hops are the dominant flavor of most IPA's, I think every bit of the components of hops should remain in the beer, not get released into the atmosphere. Just my opinion.

02-21-2014 12:38:09 | More by arc0042
swat93

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a wine glass.

A little dark in color for my taste, but clear and nice head. The smell is exceptional -- floral and crisp but also a bit sweet. Seemed to get sweeter as it sat in the glass and I drank more, not sure why. Very tasty but extremely hoppy -- can be a bit sour. Great mouthfeel. Very drinkable though some might find it too sour for a session beer.

05-24-2008 03:10:04 | More by swat93
klevelandrocks

3.38/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A: Decent pour. Had a nice color with an off white head.

S: Hops were a little less present than what I would like to see in an IPA. More towards a pale ale.

T: A small amount of a hops taste. Could have used more malt to make it a more pleasant brew.

Overall: Had a good mouthfeel and carbonation. Not anything I would pass up others for, if not for the affordable price

05-19-2009 03:18:54 | More by klevelandrocks
TSOFan88

Indiana

1.43/5  rDev -64.3%

Can't understand all the great reviews. Bought this at the store based on the BA score that they had put up of A or A- since I had not heard of the beer before(got it out of state). Maybe just a bad batch but not sure that I even want to try the 5 cans I have left.

Pours a clear amber with clear, ringing orange highlights. There is only a low, foamy head. Decent lacing follows down the side of the glass. Not bad, but could be much better.

Smell is of mango, booze, tangerine. Not as pungent as I'd like.

Taste is over the top of booze. Harsh hops kick in immediately with a harsh, metallic bite. There's only bitterness here, no hop flavor -- and this from a fan of other hoppy beers. It's just a punch in the face. . Too much booze, sloppily organized hops. Proof that great beer needs organization -- and it's sadly lacking here.

Mouthfeel is blah.

Overall, this is a pretty underwhelming beer. . Hops, booze, and skunk.

Gross. Drain pour.

09-10-2011 06:16:01 | More by TSOFan88
pmlato

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in pint glass, pours a deep tawny amber, very clear with a decent bit of lacing and a thin sudsy foam on top. Not a strong aroma, unlike so many IPAS. This turns out to be the strong part of the beer. The malt is slightly sweet but firm, creating a smooth mouthfeel and swallow. The hops wrap around the malt, enhancing it but not overpowering. Tastes great and finishes extremely smooth, a great balanced IPAED, especially in these days as overhopped and overhyped IPAS seem to be the norm. A smooth, well balanced, and tasty IPA, great even if you're not in a hop mood(I wasn't). This is what IPAs should be, prominent flavor profiles that are still easily quafable.

05-23-2012 22:59:14 | More by pmlato
ChiroBrew

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Wonderful beer!!!! I can say that this is by far the best beer out of a can I have tried, Hops out of a can what can be better!!!! This beer has an amazing aroma with a full bodied golden color. With one sip the hops rushes in your mouth, its very hoppy... Those who do not like hops, beware STAY AWAY!!!! Overall, I rated this beer highly because well it is amazing!!! Great beer for a warm afternoon..

06-01-2012 14:25:34 | More by ChiroBrew
AmericanSpartan

4.49/5  rDev +12%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

08-25-2013 22:28:38 | More by AmericanSpartan