Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros

TR0219, Mar 13, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from an undated can: a beautiful and clear deep golden to bronze with a sustained foamy off-white head.
This is an extremely aromatic IPA: upon opening the can, the ale exploded with resiny and fresh citrusy hoppy aromas. Would the flavor follow this explosion?
Well, not really, but I think that is a good thing as this is a balanced, nuanced ale. The hop bitterness is up front with a nice pine-like punch and bittersweet fruit, but there is a very nice, soothing caramel flavor with a faint herbal taste this keep everything balanced.
The body was light to medium with a refreshing, somewhat thin body. The carbonation was surprisingly restrained.
This one was a pleasant surprise - no in your face bitterness, but a flavorful and balanced IPA. It is difficult to believe this ale has a 7.0 ABV; it is dangerously drinkable.
I have passed this one many times while shopping for beer. The cost and no freshness date were the reasons. I am glad I took a chance.

jkrich, Nov 13, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

jmbranum, Feb 27, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

5 0z flight pour at Yard House San Diego.

Darkish amber with nice lacing. The aroma is wonderfully hoppy, citrus and piney notes filling the nose. The flavor delivers, nicely balanced and not too bitter. Really stood out against the other IPA in the flight (Alaskan). Really good IPA I would come back to again.

kenito799, Apr 10, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

A- Out of the bottle a dark cloudy orange with a plume of head bursting bubbles large and small. And to top it off there's some rings of lacing even before I take a sip. A nice looking IPA.

S- Nice and hoppy with a lot of pine, resin, and orange. A very inviting aroma. As the beer warms I notice more caramel and lemon-lime.

T- The taste doesn't have the same hop characteristic as the smell. It's a lot more earthy and floral. I get Jasmine tea as well as bitter greens. In the deep corners of my mouth there's some super pithy grapefruit or lime. The malt is stronger in the taste- caramel definitely comes to mind, but maybe something a bit weaker, more in line with malt syrup.

M- Quite bitter. I think my tastebuds are getting more acclimated to this type of bitterness, but I'd still prefer a little less gripping bitterness.

O- A nice beer with a variety of smells and tastes. Tone down the bitterness and unify the whole thing and I'd love it. But I certainly like it as is.

zdk9, Nov 08, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

VaporDome, Nov 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

The character of an IP, but with a malty, slightly roasty backbone that distinguishes it from others in this style. Enjoyable.

logicalparadox, Aug 20, 2014

Fusebuddy, Apr 22, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Skyscraper of a head that slowly melts, leaving very nice lacing. Darker amber in color that what I'm used to from an IPA.

Smell: Smells much more like an APA than an IPA. I'm not getting hops here--only caramel malt and sweetness and nut aromas.

Taste: Starts off big on the caramel malt. Somewhere in there is pine flavor from the hops, but the malt swallows most of it. Reminds me of Alpha King, a beer that I didn't care much for but that I know a lot of people like. I was anticipating a hop bomb (I mean, hop is in the title plus this is a west coast beer), but I suppose this is well balanced. It finishes too sweet.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side of moderate, carbonation is also on the lower side. This doesn't go down all that easy for me.

Overall: Again, I understand that I may be disappointed because I didn't get the hop bomb I was looking for, but there's still some nice flavor here. The really sweet finish is what really turns me off. It's not something I would look for again, but those who like a sweeter IPA with nut and caramel flavors may love this one.

DeFaz, Apr 20, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

21Maestro8, Dec 13, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz. bottle- color of light mahogany , with a medium off white head - nose of piney hopps , cannabis (non-skunky) , and spruce – taste of resin , light citrus , floral hopps , bitter hopps , and earthy - body medium body, and medium carbonation – aftertaste of hopps and thick lingering

stephendr, Jan 19, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

woo 1000th review for this beer

A - a nice orange/brown body with a massive fluffy head on it. great retention and splendid lacing.

S - orange peel, grapefruit, honey, sweet malts and crackers.

T - bread and orange peels give way too a big smack of bitter hops that is grassy with a nice grapefruit edge to it.

M - very bitter dry finish perfect mouthfeel for an ipa.

O - this is one fine ipa definitely glad i picked it up.

celticfutblclub, Aug 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -10%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A- Dark amber color. Golden/brown. Huge white head. Pretty sweet spider web lacing.

S- Hops and a certain metallic scene. Malt and bread.

T- Standard IPA, but I was completely turned off by the medicinal quality. The metal/nickel flavor was hard to get past. Their was also a grainy/earthy tone to it which didn't sit right with me.

M- Medium bodied and sleek. Resiny and oily.

D- Nice IPA, not my favorite. Some flavors I were not into.

DavidSeanNJ, Jan 11, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

bruindre, Sep 08, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

mpenske, Jan 25, 2014

Another6Pack, Nov 20, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -10%

A brilliant orange-amber color.

floral hops, clove, and pine.

The tongue picks out a dry bitterness, plenty of pine, some bite, and an underlying bread malt. It's a decent IPA, and feels balanced enough, but I don't much like the dry bitter taste.

donteatpoop, Jul 17, 2010

Dirty25, Apr 02, 2014

Guitars_and_beer, Mar 10, 2014

mikehillman, Apr 14, 2013

Sparty55, Mar 16, 2014

Necronomad, Jun 20, 2014

wertschy, Sep 29, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Initial pour formed a nice head of small to medium, bubbles in a white head that slowly but surely decreased in size. It has a nice amber brown colored body with some yeast floating in it. Its aroma was just tolerable and smelled a bit off. Its taste was initially not to my liking with a taste of clove and bitterness and with a aftertaste that I did not prefer. All in all not a brew I would recommend.

TheDM, Jul 01, 2003