Follow our progress ...

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by pezoids on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,219 | Ratings: 3,083
2.03/5  rDev -49.1%

Was excited as a usual microbrewless liquor store in my area has improved selection. This was one I have heard about so decided to try.

Do not waste your money. I had 2 cans over 2 separate nights and drained the others in my sink.

Cloudy orange color.
Smelled of some hops but tasted syrupy.

Maybe these were old cans as there was no "Best by Date" on them but I will not be going back for another $10+ waste!

Leave Ottin in the can!

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

I've seen this in CA only but noticed it on tap at a fave pizza joint in PDX today...
Appearance: this is what I've always imagined beer to look like in Heaven. Perfect copper amber color with a frothy initial head that tapers off nicely
Smell- I can't smell so great today, but I'm getting a fresh latex paint smell - not turned off though
Taste- I'm not so much into the IPA floral bouquet ... This has a good bitter bite on the front end but a nice even finish with a touch of malt
Mouthfeel- amazing. Even is the best way to describe it. Not heavy, or light, but definitely robust.
I would put this up against the Plinies any day ... And choose it over them

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

This is one of my favorite IPA's! If you are looking for a great beer with a nice edge, I highly recommend the Hop Ottin'

Appearance: Nice copper/golden color with excellent head retention. Lacing is very consistent.

Smell: Hop smell is fairly strong with citrus and floral overtones.

Taste: Bite is strong, but not overwhelming. Perfect blend of malt and hops, not allowing the 7% ABV to override the taste.

Mouthfeel: As good going in as going down.

Drinkability: As stated above, one of my favorite beers. Very few get a 5.0 in any category in my opinion. This one gets it in two.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- An amber color with a great two finger head with decent retention.

Smell- Great hop character with a sweet malt note at the end. Not as powerful as many other American IPA's however quite nice overall.

Taste- Citrus, some resin, a range of hop notes, without an overpowering bitterness. Balanced well with a strong malt flavor.

Mouthfeel- I'd say only slightly above average, not watery not heavy

Drinkability- This reminds me of early craft beer in 90's. Not an assault of an IPA but a balanced wonderful brew with nothing to dislike. This is one IPA that all beer fans must try.

2.8/5  rDev -29.8%

Slightly hazy copper color. Small head. Dissappeared quickly. Hints of vanilla, carmel, floral. Kinda medicine scent. Took a while to come through, little stronger as it warmed up. Wicked bitter, green hops and honey. Clean crisp in mouth. Drinkable, though very one dimensional. Would hardly call it "Complex" as the label does. I like bitter, but I would bring up the malts some.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

poured into a new sam adams glass...wonderful 2 finger head that seems to last for a bit, leaves a nice sticky lace down the glass...aroma is of floral hops and those are evident in the taste as well...very good beer, pretty well balanced with a little bite at the end...at 7.00% abv i wouldn't call it a session beer but it is very drinkable...great carbonation

overall a good beer and i will definitely buy and drink again

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 2L growler into a nonic glass.

A: Orange bubbly body with sudsy off-white colored head. Body is just a bit hazy with yellow highlights at the bottom of the glass. Good lacing down the glass.

S: Crisp hop smell of grapefruit and oranges with a slight touch of spice.

T: Nice hoppiness. Has a malty body to it which is nice as it differs from other IPAs out there, but it doesn't take it that extra step for me.

M: Better than average mouthfeel = it has some thickness and weight to it. Not too fizzy.

D: Found this very drinkable. First time with Anderson Valley which came highly recomended. Would without a doubt buy again.

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an American pint glass.

A - Hazy amber color. Excellent head and lacing. Few bubbles.

S - Prominent smell of hops but not nearly as much as Stone IPA, for example.

TM&D - Really hoppy with citrus notes. Good aftertaste. Wouldn't know it was 7% alcohol. Nonetheless, for the hoppiness I couldn't drink more than one of these in a row.

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solar powered Elk piss it is not. It's a hoppy foam face IPA with 7.0 power. Something to admire. After it settles, the head of beer looks like some toxic creek water foam, the kind that washes up on shore or swirls around in sludge filled eddy. Yes it is that good. The hoppy smell is not up to par with a Dogfish 90 minute choke hold but super IPAs can get old and expensive when you drink often. Did I say 7.0 ABV - 6 pack cans for a lot less. Taste..slightly citrus and malty..good enough for the dude. Pour it and ask your girl friend what she thinks of that...

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a very nice beer. It tastes great, and is easy to drink. Especially for an IPA with 7% ABV. This isn't my absolute favorite IPA, but Hop Ottin' IPA is a damn good beer. Decent hop bite, with a nice amount of maltiness. Will gladly drink again. Recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: red/orange copper with some white head which dissipated quicker than slow, very attractive.

Smell: wonderful, sweet grapefruit and some floral, piney notes.

Feel & Taste: smooth, wholesome front, medium body, crisp, a lil bitter, a lil dry back, herbal. Hops linger after swallowing, tongue is thirsting for more.

Overall: Enjoying this more each and every time. IMHO, set the American IPA standard high.

3.23/5  rDev -19%

This beer pours a yellowish amber with 1/2 inch head that ligers a little while. The smell is quite mild compared to others in the style. A little piney and clovey is all I get. The taste is much like the smell. The 7% ABV is hidden well. Mouthfeel is smooth with some dryness at the end. Overall I could drink more of these but I will stick with some others that I like much better.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is crystal clear with a lot of head. The color is what you would expect; I feel like I am really repeating myself since all that I have been reviewing has been IPAs from my HalfTime Gift. They all look very similar of course, light copper... dark gold. This one has a nice head, which could be a bit thicker. If it was, this would be a 5 in appearance.

Smell is nice, sweet like hops. Not as citusy as some, I expect a nice balance of american hops... more than just centennial and cascade.

Taste is great. Balanced a lot better than the last (Butte Organic IPA). This one has nice malt freshness at the beginning and a great lingering hop finish.

Mouthfeel is average. Although it looks very carbonated when being poured, it isnt. It is actually quite creamy and not very poppy on the tongue.

I'd have a couple; not too many, the bitterness will get to you and kill your taste buds after a while.

Enjoyable... I'd recommend this guy; maybe the best out of the bunch so far. It is a solid B, not the best IPA that I've had.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy. Dark orange copper color with thick lacing
S- Not much of a smell compared to other IPA's I've had. Not bad, just a little disapointing compared to it's reputation.
T- Redemption. Floral, with slight citrus undertones. Very tasty. The hops pummel your tongue into submission.
M- Medium bodies with a hoppy kick for an aftertaste
D- Not as drinkable as most, but I'll do my damndest to make it happen.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Honestly this beer deserves an A rather than an A-
It's Anderson Valley's best, hands down.

A - nice straw color - clear and minimally foamy

S - Full of grassy hoppy notes. You can smell grass, pine, redwood and cedar in there

T - Bitter and dry, exactly as a West Coast IPA should be

M - Definitely wakes the palate up. Grabs your tongue and doesn't let go

D - I could drink this all day. Nice hop bomb of an IPA without the ABV that puts you on the floor.

3.81/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: good head and lacing, about 2 fingers. The beer is golden and slightly reddish.

S: not too much. A little malt, a little hops.

T: I found this beer to be a little on the bitter side though I am starting to try more hoppier beers. The malt was overpowered by the hop bitterness. I wanted more hop flavor than was present.

M: The mouthfeel of this beer was light to medium body.

O: The beer is good but, like I said, it was a bit too bitter for me. I would prefer more balance or at least more flavoring and aroma hops to the large amount of just bittering hops. Other than that this is a great IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Redish Amber color. Citrus and hops are very distinct with a little floral aroma. Orange peel is very distinct slightly piney with a slight grapefruit aroma and bitterness. Strong hops but not too overwhelming and perfectly balanced with malts. Leaves a slight lacing on the glass.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

I bought this beer right before I went to the Mexico vs Argentina game at Qualcomm in San Diego and was not impressed at all at the time, now I did have a Green Flash Imperial IPA right before hand Iand I feel like my pallet was destroyed from that. I then attended a Blind IPA tasting and ended up rating it the #4 out of 12 beers and it tasted quite good. The 25 the anniversary IIPA is another story but this beer was very enjoyable and I will definitely be drinking more of this very soon.

Appearance is amber; good foam, excellent lacing, etc. Hoppy smell; mostly of the citric variety with a hint of pine. Smells like a good, American IPA.

On the first sip, the hops hit you right away, of which the aroma gave no fore-warning. There's no messing around with this one. There's an obvious bitter profile to the hops. It's centennial-like, but my best guess would be Magnum hops for this, as it packs quite the bitter punch. After the initial bite, there's a nice hint of citric and floral hop, mostly of the grapefruit variety, but with some subtle hints of orange/mango (but this isn't a "fruity" beer by any stretch). The bitterness certainly plays a defining role in the taste.

Good mouth feel with ample carbonation which accents some of the citrus qualities, helping to balance things out somewhat.

In summary, I find this to be a very good example of a solid American IPA. It has most of the characteristics one would associate with the style, from the appearance to the hop flavor that contains the key elements, from the pine to the citrus. What really defines this beer is it's high level of acidity. I would not consider it to be out of balance, as there is ample malt and mildly sweet citrus flavors present. But this is certainly an "Alpha bomb," and as such, I wouldn't recommend it to the novice IPA drinker due to the prevalence of alpha acids. The bitterness upstages things, which is either something you're going to love or hate.

When compared to other brews that go for around $10 per six-pack, I would put this way, way towards the top of the heap, and I'm extremely picky when it comes to my IPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A staple for lovers of IPA's, if a bit on the pricey side (in Indiana anyway), this beer pours well, but the head is short of creamy and rapidly dimishes. The scent of this amber brew doesn't overwhelm...floral but mostly citrus, but gently so, when compared with the taste.

Mouthfeel is good, smooth and thick...definitely not a Bud Light in there.

Taste is exceptional for hopheads, in an in your face way. Citrus and malt give way to and quickly are virtually overwhelmed by the hops. The finish is dry with characteristic bitterness, which lingers a while. Some will want a drink of water to clear the palate...I needed another sip. Very good IPA, especially for those who have a craving for hops.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

A - Pours a bright, very clear amber color with a 2-finger sticky off-white head that takes its time settling down. The beer retains a small, off-white head throughout and leaves patches of lacing down the glass.

S - Smell consists of strong, sweet floral and citrus aromas. Very inviting.

T - Resiny, piney hop bitterness up front that lingers till the crisp, biscuity malt finish.

M - Medium body and relatively low carbonation.

D - Quite drinkable for an unbalanced IPA - the ABV might sneak up on you as drinking several of these would be a breeze.

Great beer from Anderson Valley - I wish we could get this in Texas.

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A: One of the darkest IPA's I have stumbled upon; Head dissipated at a rapid rate leaving behind a perfect ring of lace.

S: Fruitier than most IPA's I have had the pleasure of trying. I pick up warm fruit notes, maybe grapes.

T: Tastes like a magic hat that really wanted to screw that lagunitas ipa across the fridge. I get fruit on the pallet, but it isnt a mouth full of apricot--melikes. The hops do not leave my mouth dry and in need of another sip.

MF/D: IPA's with lower carbonation and upfront hops really suit my wintertime taste buds. This, like most good beer, is a beer that should be savored with good friends.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

I went out and tried all of the Alstom Bros 100 rated American IPA's I could find. I live in Lexington KY so I do not have access to many, but I do travel and have tried beers from all over the country. In my latest taste test I decided to pit several of the 100 point Alstom Bros American IPA's against each other. The candidates: Anderson Hop Ottin', Smuttynose, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Victory Hop Devil, Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point.

I have had Sculpin and the Hop Devil on tap in their local region before and I love them both. Out of the bottle the Sculpin holds up, but time and time again I am disappointed in Hop Devil. It was good, but far far from 100 point rating. That is a head scratcher.

Now for Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. As someone who moved to the Bluegrass from California i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess this brewery and me are not on the same page. This was decent, but far from perfect. I had the good fortune to have a Zombie Dust recently and that is perfect. That the Alstrom Bros rated this beer better than Zombie Dust makes me question every review they conduct. It poured a carmel color, with a nice head. The hop character did not remind me of typical west coast IPA's like Sculpin, Stone, or Sierra. It was malty, had a depressed hop presence, and while tasty, it did not live up to the hype by any shape, way or form. Quite frankly, it was mediocre. Kind of like having someone tell you how great a movie is but you end up bummed out.

My favorite hoppy American pales or IPA's to date:
1) Zombie Dust
2) Flower Power
3) Sculpin
4) Firestone
5) Ninkasi Total Domination
6) Sierra Celebration
7) Victory Hop Devil (on tap, not bottle)
8) Lagunitas

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Nice clear copper/amber color, been sipping on it for 20 minutes or so and still has some white head on it, some pretty nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Could be better sadly, not as floral as I was hoping, pretty malty smell to it actually.

Taste: Wonderful, crisp and clean, leave a slight bit of bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Great for an IPA, not one I could drink a six pack of, but for sitting here at my desk as a sipper, wonderful!

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company