Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
pDev: 11%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,189 | Hads: 2,931
4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - amber golden with a nice inch of foam that lasted for quite some time

S - subdued but pleasant aroma

T - really complex floral hops first, followed by a caramel malt and a nutty finish

M - really drinkable, carbonation just right

O - fantastic beer (256 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought single 12oz bottle. Poured into tulip pint glass. Clear, deep amber/rust color with two finger head. Smelled pine with a hint of citrus in the background. First sip was good, not overbearing. Second taste was better than the first. There is not any undesirable aftertaste; drinkable, not overly hoppy, I could definitely drink another without feeling weighted down. This is a solid IPA that would appeal to those who like IPAs that don't punch them in the face. (Beer dude #3) (483 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley! (1,299 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +19.5%

Excellent beer, as are many of the Anderson Valley beers. Nice, hoppy flavor that not just bitter, but floral and balanced. Very accessible IPA for those who are looking for a balance of bitterness and other flavors in an IPA. Also recommend the AV Oatmeal Stout. (263 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a 22oz bottle this beer had a slightly hazy amber color with a ~one inch, mostly white head of densely packed bubbles which dissapate quickly leaving mild to medium lacing.

The aroma is moderately strong floral / citrus common of IPAs. I noticed a hint of carmel and maybe a little orange too.

The taste is much like the aroma only stronger with a more noticeable carmel background. It has a strong flavor initially - then the carbonation - then a quick transition to the moderately strong bitters which become more obvious after swallowing. The alcohol is well hidden.

It has a mild to medium body with fairly high carbonation. It leaves the mouth very slightly dry but in a good way. Not slimy or sticky.

This beer rates very high for me. Seems like an excellent example of a heavily hopped IPA with mild accessory flavors. (849 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

Holy pine forest batman!

A: The color was a dark amber with a nice foamy finger size head. Some retention, with nice lacing.

S: Excellent hop smell as soon as I popped the top. Once poured into a tulip glass the hop smell faded slightly and the malt presence became more pronounced.

T: As mentioned above, wow, what a blast of pine up front. Very resinous, and piney on the palate at first and then recedes into a nice malt backbone. A great mingling of bitter and sweet.

M: Bubbly on the mouthfeel, with a resin coating as it makes it way down.

O: Very nice IPA. Again, what hit me the most was how piney this IPA is. The malt at the end finishes it off perfectly. I would certainly buy this again. (708 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Great IPA. I had high expectations for this one due to the high score here. It did not disappoint. The best way to describe Hop Ottin' is "well balanced". I know many BAers have used this term for this beer, and I couldn't agree more. It's a strong beerl but doesn't over-do it on any characteristic. Hops are present, but in the mix. Very enjoyable all-round. When I'm in the mood for something a little stronger, I go DIPA. But for a great regular IPA, you can't go wrong here. (479 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

first off, not meaning to skirt some conventional method, but I am drinking straight from the bottle since I do not have a mug within reach. in other words, I am lazy!

the smell is aromatic, with a hint of rose.

the mouthfeel is electrifyingly tart with a good bite of hops, which is topped off with a kick of dryness. this in turn creates a flavorful kick of citrus and a generous amount of hops (can it get any more generous?).

at the back wash, it ends on a nicely mellowed out finish. it is a real compliment to the tongue and throat.

hop ottin! (562 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

A- Pale with a red-ish/amber hue. This beer poured crystal clear with the fluffiest of off-white head, which laced down the glass in a very pleasing way.

S- A little piney, not a lot of aroma here.

T- Typical West Coast hop notes of grapefruit lead into delicate honey and maple flavors. Not a very complex beer but perhaps I'm missing something.

M- Slightly astringent, but effervescent enough to quell it before it becomes an issue. This leads to a perception of imbalance, but give it time (a moment, a moment or two) and you'll be pleased with the sweet profile that follows.

D- This beer is not stellar example, but I would happily drink a few with friends on a brisk Autumn day in Anderson Valley. A good sesh IPA that is worth a pint or two.

* I would note the previous review to mine. I had one the other night and remember being far more impressed than I am tonight. This may be due, in part, to inconsistent packaging procedures./??? (953 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I cracked this last night with a buffalo burger that I had just grilled.

A: Excellent amber with slight orange tint. Creamy rich eggshell colored head that maintained through the entire glass and left an excellent lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Floral smell with a background of a pine forrest. Aromas of sweet citrus.

T: Smooth taste with hints of flowers and grapefruit and a finish of a pine forrest in the sierra nevada.

M: Not too carbonated very smooth.

O: An excellent IPA one of the most well rounded I have tasted in a while. The Hop profile is there but not overwhelming. You know its an IPA but without the chase you away Hop notes of drinking a chemically induced over-hopped attempt at an IPA. I enjoyed this with a nice buffalo burger from the grill and it was an excellent pairing. (810 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Slight haze, not brilliantly clear/golden orange. Good thick meringue head stand. Great head retention and lacing down the glass.

Aroma: not as strong as expected. A little underwhelmed in comparison to other AIPAs i've had. Some pine and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: medium to full body with a slight carbonic bite.

Taste: Again not as bitter as expected. But reasonable. Well rounded and balanced. Quite sessionable for an AIPA.

Overall: pretty good example of an AIPA. Good fruity hoppiness and decent malt presence. This IPA is all about the balance I think. Will come back for more. (597 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A: Copper color, with a full off white head of foam.

S: Moderate smell of hops, fruit, and floral.

T: Smooth malty flavor with a bit of citris, floral, and pine. Strong hops finish.

M: Smooth on the mouth. Fairly strong carbonation goes well with the strong hops flavor.

O: This is a solid American IPA and is well worth trying. It's got a strong hops finish which I personally love, and the other aspects of the beer are well balanced. (441 characters)

First off the bottle Is beautiful I love the art. Along with other Anderson valley beers. This particular brew is absolutely perfect and is hands down one of the best out there. Have had in both bottle and glass. Taste great high flavorful hops. Not your average citrus brew, though It still has flavorful of citrus, it also has a high range of nuts brewed and you can definitely taste. Overall this brew from Anderson valley is perfect and its really not available as much as I thought it would be as a la resident. So get your hands on a bottle (546 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I love IPA's and has got to be one of the best.... Love the taste. Has that IPA taste but lacks that harsh taste that a lot have.. Wish it came to New Mexico! (158 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

The beer had a really strong hoppy kick. The aftertaste lasted for a long time and was really strong and enjoyable. Enjoyed drinking it while being strong and a little bitter. Great beer that I will definitely drink again and would happy to carry in my bar (256 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

this is a solid IPA. High abv sticks to the mouth. I like my IPAs to settle in the throat...aftertaste & aroma are good to above average. Very Hoppin, as advertised, i liked it. Aroma is the only attribute lacking, otherwise topshelf IPA worth a "must try". Thank you sir, may I have another... (294 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is available in lots of places in Northern California. It is my goto IPA when I just need a beer in a hurry. It is a little dark for my liking at a light copper color but not out of style. It has a strong aroma of hops that is pleasant and not too purfume. (266 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I liked it. I generally don't drink IPAs, but the hops were bold and satisfying. Being 7% I couldn't drink a 6 pack of them, but I wouldn't mind one or two with a piece of hearty fish or a cheese plate. Probably one of the best I've had from Anderson Valley besides the Heelch. (277 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -24%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass clear amber with a fluffy, white head. The nose is very flowery pine notes with some slight astringent smell I can't describe any better..
There wasn't much front-end flavor, just the piney taste of hops. Seems like the malt took a holiday. The finish was fairly strong and lingering with bitter pineyness.
I don't want to use the word 'slimy' to describe the feel, but it was kind of like that. Slight tingle of carbonation on the tongue. Not unpleasant but less than expected.
With the pretty pour and flowery smell, I was hoping for some complex flavors and crispness, but was left a little disappointed. That said, this is not a bad IPA. Don't let the can fool you. (694 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3%

L: Golden copper color, fluffy white head slight color, leaves nice lacing.

S: Big hop aroma, citrusy, very appetizing hoppy smell

T: Bitter alpha acids, hoppy bitter aftertaste, malts are surprisingly thin and overpowered by hops, bitterness stays present all the way through

M: surprisingly light, good carbonation

D: very bitter, i'm just not in the mood today to tackle this much bitterness

not a bad IPA, would prefer a bit more of a malt backbone to up the mouthfeel and give more balance, very hoppy but surprisingly 1 dimensional, overall a solid beer, will definitely try again when I have the cravings for hops (625 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

BuxMontBeerLover

A - Pours a bit cloudy, nice golden color, foamy dense head on the pour...very thick head.

S - Cramel aroma with nice citrus notes, vanilla, and even a little bit of apricot or another stone fruit.

T - A quality IPA that is well balanced with a slight sweetness, again the caramel notes coming though from the malts. Has a hint of apricot that confirms what was on the nose. Very nice citrus taste that pairs perfectly with the hoppy

M- medium carbonation and medium ++ constancy.

O - This is a great, easy drinking IPA. A little malted then what I normally go for but I really enjoyed it. (684 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Aroma – Fairly strong malt aroma for an IPA but it is pleasant, it reminds of caramel malt with maybe just a touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is moderate and has a mint and grapefruit character. As the beer warms the most dominating aroma is the grapefruit hop.

Appearance – Nice copper/redish color which pours a thick off white head. Beer is almost clear but does have a slight haze while looking through it. The head remains throughout the drinking experience and produces some very nice lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

Flavor –The balance of this beer is very nice in the beginning of the taste. There is good hop and malt character but the beer is definitely balanced on the hop side. Towards the end of the taste, the flavor is dominated by the hops and leaves a bit of a hop bite on the tongue. The malt flavor is present but not very distinguishable behind the hops; I cannot pick out the caramel or chocolate flavors that I found in the aroma. There are no detectable fermentation flaws or issues and I cannot taste any yeast contributions to the beer.

Mouthfeel – The beer is medium-light and goes down smooth. It does have a touch of astringency which may be caused by the hop bitterness. Moderate carbonation. Has the bitter hopped aftertaste that is synonymous of an IPA

Overall – This is a nicely done IPA that can be enjoyed year round. It is aggressively hopped and I would have liked to have sensed some alcohol warmness to go with the strong hop bitterness so an increased grain bill would be nice but I wouldn’t want to mess with the balance and body of the beer which was done very nicely. I would also imagine that this would be better as a fresh beer to really present the hop aromas and flavor on the same level that the bitterness is present (1,785 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%

After reading some of the reviews about this beer, I absolutely had to do a review, because I happen to disagree with a lot of what I saw.

One of the most common complaints is that the cans are extremely carbonated and explode upon opening. Always make it a habit to tap the top of ANY can you ever open, just a few firm taps or thumps work perfectly. You'll never deal with another mess again if you do this. With that being said, this beer IS rather aggressively carbonated, but I think it adds wonderfully to the flavor "pop" and mouthfeel.

As far as the malt bill goes, this is my favorite malt bill out of any IPA I've ever tried. It is incredibly complex, and not for the faint of heart. It is very front-forward with caramel sweetness, slight nutty tones, and also lends a subtle flavor that I would consider close to that of a granny smith apple. This IPA actually reminds me of apple juice in a lot of ways.

For the hops, this once again is not a beer for the faint of heart. I mean there are HOPS in this beer. I believe it is 80 IBU's or so at 7%. The hops are predominantly piney, herbal, and floral. There is also a little "kick" or spice to them. The hops are what make this beer. It is very aggressively hopped, which is the reason it is probably my favorite IPA in the world. The only others that come close would be Ruination IPA or Two-Hearted Ale.

I don't mention lacing or head when reviewing IPA's because I'm a firm believer that pouring these beers actually decreases the flavor and sometimes the brewer's purpose for the beer. Sure, you release aroma this way, but with this release comes the release of essential oils that the brewer intended to remain within the beer. Seeing that hops are the dominant flavor of most IPA's, I think every bit of the components of hops should remain in the beer, not get released into the atmosphere. Just my opinion. (1,881 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

As a brewery owner, I feel that credit should be given to those that consistently strive for making great beer. Hats off to Anderson Valley for continuing to make a great example of a drinkable IPA. Not over the top, not to anything, just a nice balance of all things that make this style a favorite. Keep up the good work. (323 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours strong reddish orange hue. Minimal head. Not overpoweringly bitter but you know it's an IPA! Strong yet un-offensive malty aroma. Malt taste overpowers the taste of the hops
in this brew which makes it an exceptional ipa. Smooth and easy to drink with no bite which is rare in a big beer. Well worth the price of admission!!! (331 characters)

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company