Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,916 | Reviews: 1,210
4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

I've seen this in CA only but noticed it on tap at a fave pizza joint in PDX today...
Appearance: this is what I've always imagined beer to look like in Heaven. Perfect copper amber color with a frothy initial head that tapers off nicely
Smell- I can't smell so great today, but I'm getting a fresh latex paint smell - not turned off though
Taste- I'm not so much into the IPA floral bouquet ... This has a good bitter bite on the front end but a nice even finish with a touch of malt
Mouthfeel- amazing. Even is the best way to describe it. Not heavy, or light, but definitely robust.
I would put this up against the Plinies any day ... And choose it over them

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Redish Amber color. Citrus and hops are very distinct with a little floral aroma. Orange peel is very distinct slightly piney with a slight grapefruit aroma and bitterness. Strong hops but not too overwhelming and perfectly balanced with malts. Leaves a slight lacing on the glass.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is crystal clear with a lot of head. The color is what you would expect; I feel like I am really repeating myself since all that I have been reviewing has been IPAs from my HalfTime Gift. They all look very similar of course, light copper... dark gold. This one has a nice head, which could be a bit thicker. If it was, this would be a 5 in appearance.

Smell is nice, sweet like hops. Not as citusy as some, I expect a nice balance of american hops... more than just centennial and cascade.

Taste is great. Balanced a lot better than the last (Butte Organic IPA). This one has nice malt freshness at the beginning and a great lingering hop finish.

Mouthfeel is average. Although it looks very carbonated when being poured, it isnt. It is actually quite creamy and not very poppy on the tongue.

I'd have a couple; not too many, the bitterness will get to you and kill your taste buds after a while.

Enjoyable... I'd recommend this guy; maybe the best out of the bunch so far. It is a solid B, not the best IPA that I've had.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

I bought this beer right before I went to the Mexico vs Argentina game at Qualcomm in San Diego and was not impressed at all at the time, now I did have a Green Flash Imperial IPA right before hand Iand I feel like my pallet was destroyed from that. I then attended a Blind IPA tasting and ended up rating it the #4 out of 12 beers and it tasted quite good. The 25 the anniversary IIPA is another story but this beer was very enjoyable and I will definitely be drinking more of this very soon.

Appearance is amber; good foam, excellent lacing, etc. Hoppy smell; mostly of the citric variety with a hint of pine. Smells like a good, American IPA.

On the first sip, the hops hit you right away, of which the aroma gave no fore-warning. There's no messing around with this one. There's an obvious bitter profile to the hops. It's centennial-like, but my best guess would be Magnum hops for this, as it packs quite the bitter punch. After the initial bite, there's a nice hint of citric and floral hop, mostly of the grapefruit variety, but with some subtle hints of orange/mango (but this isn't a "fruity" beer by any stretch). The bitterness certainly plays a defining role in the taste.

Good mouth feel with ample carbonation which accents some of the citrus qualities, helping to balance things out somewhat.

In summary, I find this to be a very good example of a solid American IPA. It has most of the characteristics one would associate with the style, from the appearance to the hop flavor that contains the key elements, from the pine to the citrus. What really defines this beer is it's high level of acidity. I would not consider it to be out of balance, as there is ample malt and mildly sweet citrus flavors present. But this is certainly an "Alpha bomb," and as such, I wouldn't recommend it to the novice IPA drinker due to the prevalence of alpha acids. The bitterness upstages things, which is either something you're going to love or hate.

When compared to other brews that go for around $10 per six-pack, I would put this way, way towards the top of the heap, and I'm extremely picky when it comes to my IPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A staple for lovers of IPA's, if a bit on the pricey side (in Indiana anyway), this beer pours well, but the head is short of creamy and rapidly dimishes. The scent of this amber brew doesn't overwhelm...floral but mostly citrus, but gently so, when compared with the taste.

Mouthfeel is good, smooth and thick...definitely not a Bud Light in there.

Taste is exceptional for hopheads, in an in your face way. Citrus and malt give way to and quickly are virtually overwhelmed by the hops. The finish is dry with characteristic bitterness, which lingers a while. Some will want a drink of water to clear the palate...I needed another sip. Very good IPA, especially for those who have a craving for hops.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

A - Pours a bright, very clear amber color with a 2-finger sticky off-white head that takes its time settling down. The beer retains a small, off-white head throughout and leaves patches of lacing down the glass.

S - Smell consists of strong, sweet floral and citrus aromas. Very inviting.

T - Resiny, piney hop bitterness up front that lingers till the crisp, biscuity malt finish.

M - Medium body and relatively low carbonation.

D - Quite drinkable for an unbalanced IPA - the ABV might sneak up on you as drinking several of these would be a breeze.

Great beer from Anderson Valley - I wish we could get this in Texas.

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A: One of the darkest IPA's I have stumbled upon; Head dissipated at a rapid rate leaving behind a perfect ring of lace.

S: Fruitier than most IPA's I have had the pleasure of trying. I pick up warm fruit notes, maybe grapes.

T: Tastes like a magic hat that really wanted to screw that lagunitas ipa across the fridge. I get fruit on the pallet, but it isnt a mouth full of apricot--melikes. The hops do not leave my mouth dry and in need of another sip.

MF/D: IPA's with lower carbonation and upfront hops really suit my wintertime taste buds. This, like most good beer, is a beer that should be savored with good friends.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

I went out and tried all of the Alstom Bros 100 rated American IPA's I could find. I live in Lexington KY so I do not have access to many, but I do travel and have tried beers from all over the country. In my latest taste test I decided to pit several of the 100 point Alstom Bros American IPA's against each other. The candidates: Anderson Hop Ottin', Smuttynose, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Victory Hop Devil, Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point.

I have had Sculpin and the Hop Devil on tap in their local region before and I love them both. Out of the bottle the Sculpin holds up, but time and time again I am disappointed in Hop Devil. It was good, but far far from 100 point rating. That is a head scratcher.

Now for Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. As someone who moved to the Bluegrass from California i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess this brewery and me are not on the same page. This was decent, but far from perfect. I had the good fortune to have a Zombie Dust recently and that is perfect. That the Alstrom Bros rated this beer better than Zombie Dust makes me question every review they conduct. It poured a carmel color, with a nice head. The hop character did not remind me of typical west coast IPA's like Sculpin, Stone, or Sierra. It was malty, had a depressed hop presence, and while tasty, it did not live up to the hype by any shape, way or form. Quite frankly, it was mediocre. Kind of like having someone tell you how great a movie is but you end up bummed out.

My favorite hoppy American pales or IPA's to date:
1) Zombie Dust
2) Flower Power
3) Sculpin
4) Firestone
5) Ninkasi Total Domination
6) Sierra Celebration
7) Victory Hop Devil (on tap, not bottle)
8) Lagunitas

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Nice clear copper/amber color, been sipping on it for 20 minutes or so and still has some white head on it, some pretty nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Could be better sadly, not as floral as I was hoping, pretty malty smell to it actually.

Taste: Wonderful, crisp and clean, leave a slight bit of bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Great for an IPA, not one I could drink a six pack of, but for sitting here at my desk as a sipper, wonderful!

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Had this one from a 12 oz bottle

A- Nice and clear, not too cloudy but not too pale
S- At first there was a distinct smell of centennial hops but after it warmed that faded
T- Very smooth but not too "hoppy." Had a slight 'dank' quality to it. I'm not sure if they used columbus hops or not.
M- Excellent mouthfeel
D- I had one of these but could have easily had more. Not too bitter that you can't do more than one. Overall good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

I was at Whole Foods and I noticed that somehow Hop Ottin was only $2.99 per 22oz bottle. I asked the clerk how if could be right, and he said that it was indeed a pricing mistake, but that I was welcome to buy all I wanted at that price. Being the hop head that I am, I bought four of them.

This is an IPA you don't hear much about, but after finishing my stash, I'm going to call this one a well-kept secret. To me, this is a perfect West Coast IPA. Wonderful citrus/grapefruit aroma, filtered, and clean hop taste. The alchol presence is also just about right. At 7% ABV, it packs a punch but will not slow you down.

Hop Ottin is every bit as good as better known Stone IPA or Green Flash.

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours golden, but cloudy with a decent amount of head. Smells of citrus, pine, malts and bread. WOW!! What a taste.. the floral hops burst out of the bottle, but it's also quite smooth. Pairs very well with food.. excellent drinability. This may be the best American IPA I've had thusfar. Can't wait to try another offering from Anderson Valley

3.51/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this brew poured into a 12oz bar glass.

It pours a nice copper color. It is relatively clear with a very thin head.
The smell is not impressive at all as it has very little in the way of hop aroma, but you can definitely pick up on the malt body.
The taste is what you would expect of a good IPA. There is a nice hop bitterness at first, followed by a nice smooth malt body.
Mouthfeel was good.

I was not overly impressed with this brew. Maybe I had my hopes set too high but really I would classify this as a good but not great IPA. It is pretty easy drinking so if you have easy access to this beer I wouldn’t hesitate to have it be a regular in the line-up but I wouldn’t waist too much time or go too far out of my way to get it.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

This beer really blew me away. I actually didn't expect much from this and I bought it mostly for the moose-bear on the bottle. Really quite exceptional and very near exactly how I want a IPA to taste.
Beautiful balance between a sweet mouthfeel and hoppy bitterness. Beer like this is really too good to analyze.

Had it with some blue cheese pasta which turned out to be a really good combination.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy. Dark orange copper color with thick lacing
S- Not much of a smell compared to other IPA's I've had. Not bad, just a little disapointing compared to it's reputation.
T- Redemption. Floral, with slight citrus undertones. Very tasty. The hops pummel your tongue into submission.
M- Medium bodies with a hoppy kick for an aftertaste
D- Not as drinkable as most, but I'll do my damndest to make it happen.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- burnt amber coloring, slightly cloudy with thin lacy head.

S- floral nose with hints of honey

T- very bitter bite that lingers. mildly grapefruitish in regards to bitterness (not citrus flavor). I felt like the hoppy bitterness overpowered everything else. Taste seemed to improve as it warmed up.

M- crisp, sharp almost puckering

D- I think this beer may be a true representative of the IPA style, however I felt like the hoppiness was a little too strong. I will say it did seem to improve as it warmed up and I hope to review this one again some day and see if my opinion changes.

4.26/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - amber golden with a nice inch of foam that lasted for quite some time

S - subdued but pleasant aroma

T - really complex floral hops first, followed by a caramel malt and a nutty finish

M - really drinkable, carbonation just right

O - fantastic beer

3.97/5  rDev -0.5%

Bought single 12oz bottle. Poured into tulip pint glass. Clear, deep amber/rust color with two finger head. Smelled pine with a hint of citrus in the background. First sip was good, not overbearing. Second taste was better than the first. There is not any undesirable aftertaste; drinkable, not overly hoppy, I could definitely drink another without feeling weighted down. This is a solid IPA that would appeal to those who like IPAs that don't punch them in the face. (Beer dude #3)

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%

Excellent beer, as are many of the Anderson Valley beers. Nice, hoppy flavor that not just bitter, but floral and balanced. Very accessible IPA for those who are looking for a balance of bitterness and other flavors in an IPA. Also recommend the AV Oatmeal Stout.

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle this beer had a slightly hazy amber color with a ~one inch, mostly white head of densely packed bubbles which dissapate quickly leaving mild to medium lacing.

The aroma is moderately strong floral / citrus common of IPAs. I noticed a hint of carmel and maybe a little orange too.

The taste is much like the aroma only stronger with a more noticeable carmel background. It has a strong flavor initially - then the carbonation - then a quick transition to the moderately strong bitters which become more obvious after swallowing. The alcohol is well hidden.

It has a mild to medium body with fairly high carbonation. It leaves the mouth very slightly dry but in a good way. Not slimy or sticky.

This beer rates very high for me. Seems like an excellent example of a heavily hopped IPA with mild accessory flavors.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Holy pine forest batman!

A: The color was a dark amber with a nice foamy finger size head. Some retention, with nice lacing.

S: Excellent hop smell as soon as I popped the top. Once poured into a tulip glass the hop smell faded slightly and the malt presence became more pronounced.

T: As mentioned above, wow, what a blast of pine up front. Very resinous, and piney on the palate at first and then recedes into a nice malt backbone. A great mingling of bitter and sweet.

M: Bubbly on the mouthfeel, with a resin coating as it makes it way down.

O: Very nice IPA. Again, what hit me the most was how piney this IPA is. The malt at the end finishes it off perfectly. I would certainly buy this again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Great IPA. I had high expectations for this one due to the high score here. It did not disappoint. The best way to describe Hop Ottin' is "well balanced". I know many BAers have used this term for this beer, and I couldn't agree more. It's a strong beerl but doesn't over-do it on any characteristic. Hops are present, but in the mix. Very enjoyable all-round. When I'm in the mood for something a little stronger, I go DIPA. But for a great regular IPA, you can't go wrong here.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

first off, not meaning to skirt some conventional method, but I am drinking straight from the bottle since I do not have a mug within reach. in other words, I am lazy!

the smell is aromatic, with a hint of rose.

the mouthfeel is electrifyingly tart with a good bite of hops, which is topped off with a kick of dryness. this in turn creates a flavorful kick of citrus and a generous amount of hops (can it get any more generous?).

at the back wash, it ends on a nicely mellowed out finish. it is a real compliment to the tongue and throat.

hop ottin!