Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros

4.28/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Thanks to monsterfat for the bottle.

Been wanting to try this one for a while now. I seem to remember reading about what a delicious hoppy treat it was on LNBA or something like that and added it to the ol' Wants list.

Amber orange pour. Shocker. "Amber orange" and "Orange amber" should be renamed as IPA and DIPA. I honestly can't come up with any creative ways to describe identical pour after identical pour. Off white foam reaches two fingers, and is quite fluffy. Good retention; it hits that nice happy medium between "monster head that fizzes away instantly" and "monster head that never leaves." It works for me, because I didn't want to wait half an hour for the foam to die down. Wonderful lacing stuck to the glass.

So, I totally expected this beer to be a hop bomb...and with a label that boasts "Hop Ottin' bites like an angry rattlesnake," I feel like that was a fair assumption on my part. However, I'm smelling mostly sweet caramel. It smells rich and sweet, very malty. Balance, on the West Coast? Never. After some digging (and some warmth), I begin to smell some hop aromas - sweet oranges and earthy, herbal bitterness. They blend in really well with that sweet malt/caramel smell, so the hop aromas are pretty well masked. I can't really say that I like that.

The flavor, like the aroma, is surprisingly balanced. It's not that it's a bad thing, necessarily, but it's...weird. I just don't expect this from a West Coast IPA. Now, I do like both the sweet orange and earthy/herbal hop flavors. I just wish they were more aggressive. However, Hop Ottin' is still a finely crafted IPA. Balance may not be to my liking, but it's still a good quality. Seriously, though, how weird is that? I can't stress this enough. In Hop Ottin's defense, there's some nice bitterness in the finish, enough to remind you that you're dealing with more hops than you realized, and not enough to keep it from being immensely drinkable. It's not flashy, or glamorous, but, damn, it pretty much does everything by the book.

Medium bodied. Carbonation is appropriate. Would like this one to be a little more creamy, but it's still a very nice texture. Actually, I change my mind. This is medium-heavy, and it feels pretty damn close to full bodied. Surprisingly chewy at first, but, I guess given the big malt presence, it shouldn't be. Drinkability is off the charts. I polished off the bomber faster than I'd like to admit. It may not be a full-on hop assault like I expect (and like) from West Coast IPA's, but it's really, really well done. Nothing about this beer takes away from its drinkability.

Hop Ottin' somewhat reminds me of my top-rated beer, Masala Mama. It's like Masala Mama Jr., or the JV version. If it were a little more forward with the citric hop flavor, this would rank right up there with the best beers I've had. But, it falls just a tad short, which sets off a serious domino effect as far as ratings are concerned. It's a great beer, and honestly, I'd keep this in the fridge constantly if it were locally available, for myself and for my non-beer geek friends.

4/5  rDev 0%

4/5  rDev 0%

4.56/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours amber/honey colored with thick foamy head. There is excellent head and lacing retention. Piney, grassy smell with hints of citrus. Strong piney/grassy taste at the beginning. A bitter bitey, hops follows with a mild malty taste at the end. There is a pronounced bitter aftertaste. Definitely a beer for hop heads. It has a really good balance of hops and malt.

3.28/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 3 Floyds pint glass.

A- Lots of carbonation, 3 fingers off white head, dissipates slowly, leaves big bubbles on the side of the glass, great lacing, clear dark orange color.
S- The hop aromas are very hidden, malts and breadiness take over the aroma, slight hints of grapefruit and pine.
T- Slight bitterness, pretty sweet tasting, this IPA is VERY malty and bready, hops are hidden, slight pine and citrus comes out in the aftertaste.
M- Medium mouthfeel, not very carbonated, from the first pour I was expecting it to be fairly carbonated.
O- Was not impressed by this brew, really malty, hops are basically gone, I was very turned off by the first taste, but as worked my way through this beer it wasn’t too bad, not my favorite but glad to try it.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Skyscraper of a head that slowly melts, leaving very nice lacing. Darker amber in color that what I'm used to from an IPA.

Smell: Smells much more like an APA than an IPA. I'm not getting hops here--only caramel malt and sweetness and nut aromas.

Taste: Starts off big on the caramel malt. Somewhere in there is pine flavor from the hops, but the malt swallows most of it. Reminds me of Alpha King, a beer that I didn't care much for but that I know a lot of people like. I was anticipating a hop bomb (I mean, hop is in the title plus this is a west coast beer), but I suppose this is well balanced. It finishes too sweet.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side of moderate, carbonation is also on the lower side. This doesn't go down all that easy for me.

Overall: Again, I understand that I may be disappointed because I didn't get the hop bomb I was looking for, but there's still some nice flavor here. The really sweet finish is what really turns me off. It's not something I would look for again, but those who like a sweeter IPA with nut and caramel flavors may love this one.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

12 oz bottle pours a cloudy deep amber with minimal head and lacing. Aroma is bready malt, citrus fruit, and apricot. Flavors of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, peppery spice, and toffee, Mouthfeel is somewhat oily with dry finish that hangs on the tongue. Overall a very drinkable west coast style IPA.

4.88/5  rDev +22%

Man! This is just a perfect balance of all that an IPA should be. The bitterness, flavor and aroma is just so well balanced, it's incredible.

A-Pours a pretty clear deep golden color with a hint of amber in it. Pours a full medium off white head that has pretty good retention and real good latice work, like a fine fancy oldschool curtain.

S-The aroma is so pungent and unique. It's full of bright floral hop aromas. With a solid balancing caramel malt background. And kind of a foresty pine to it too. As it warms, some toffee comes through as well. This is a very complex and beautiful aroma.

T-And the flavor, wow. That was my first response... WOW, every first sip of this is wow. It's a perfect balance of carmel sweetness, clean hop bitterness, and resenous hop flavor. Nothing shines over the other, it's just balanced. Very nice indeed. The hop flavor is bright and earthy.

M-Very smooth and full bodied. Just a bit dry in the end. With a nice lingering bitterness.

D-If I wasn't carful, I could drink the whole six pack. It's so smooth and easy drinking, but the 7% abv needs to be respected for sure. Two will do you good for sure. Please go and get some if you can find it.

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured out of a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

A – She is slightly cloudy deep golden color on pour. About one finger of white head that settles down to a nice cover. Sticky lacing.

S – Hops baby with plenty of citrus to go along for the ride.

T – The hop taste is right there but less subtle then the smell. I thought it would be a hop bomb but no indeed. Nice. Citrusy grapefruit right there. Just a little bit of sweetness that balances the flavor.

M – Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Just a bit drying at the end. No ABV felt at all.

O – Very nice brew here. The smell is great and the flavor is actually mellow compared to some. Has a nice sweetness that really balances this well. Great all around.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.11/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured in a Spiegelgau glass: 4F head which quickly resolved itself.
Light copper color- an attractive beer.

The aroma was not strong- light grapefruit and other citrus.

Mouth feel: quite smooth for an IPA, not well-carbonated, and transitioning well to the taste.

The taste was different at warmer and colder temps.
Colder temps- more grapefruit, malty, and a hoppy finish with some bitterness.
Warmer temps- less citrus, less bitter, and a cherry-like fruit taste. I preferred the beer at slightly warmer temps.

Overall: quite distinctive. The beer is different than other IPAs: there is a cherry/citrus taste, the MF is smoother, and the finish is more even- not overly bitter.
Worth checking out.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a deep amber/copper..I can see the carbonation even with the deep color of the beer. Has a good level of foam..which recedes to a thick cap. Lacing as well

Good amount of malt backing with a floral hop aroma

Strong hop profile with some bitterness following, all with a nice malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with good carbonation. Drinkability is high..I could have a couple.

Solid IPA..recommended