Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
rowew

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle - good description on the back, no date info.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden red color with just a hint of haze. Decent head leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Smell: Fresh hop aroma, with some citrus and just a bit of pepper. A little bit of sweet malt in the background.

Taste: Like the smell - lots of fresh hop taste. Citus and a bit of resinous pine flavors dominate, with some slight peppery notes in there.

Overall impression: Definitely for the hopheads, but it has enough malt to keep it from being completely unbalanced - just barely.

04-24-2006 22:43:17 | More by rowew
IntriqKen

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Ok...this beer is all about the hops...FRESH hops.
Pours a dark orange amber with a stiff full head that slowly melts to a heavy lacing.
Aroma is like green leaf hops. Very earthy. As it warms some of the sweet malt aromas come through.
Taste is an initial balance of sweet malts and hop assault. Somehow the light sweet malt and heavy green hops balance together well. They definately don't fight with each other. Aftertaste of green leaf hops and grapefruit with a thick coating on the tongue.
Alcohol burn noticable as you pause between drinks.
I love hops but somehow this IPA is a little too one dimensional for my tastes.

04-09-2006 21:39:32 | More by IntriqKen
warriorsoul

3.48/5  rDev -13%

Thanks to WaffleSauce for this one...
A clear cherry rust with 1/2 finger of bright white head...leaves some web lacing.
Sweet and fruity in the nose...a fine balance.
More floral hops in the taste...a slight metallic flavor makes its way thru, but fades as it warms. A very bitter brew yet this bitterness hangs on a bit too long IMO.
Mouthfeel is average and the carbonation is very nice...a nice session beer for folks who like the style, but nothing that really stands out for me.

04-07-2006 01:02:01 | More by warriorsoul
dhchatfield

2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

My first review!

Having spent the last couple of months working my way through the hop monsters available in my area, I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately I was not impressed.

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Looked to have been on the shelf for some time as evidenced by a good layer of dust. Poured into a 12 oz tulip/goblet hybrid glass.

A- Looked good, nice medium red, a little cloudier than I've seen in other offerings. Reasonable head after aggresssive pour that didn't last long.

S- Nice at first, citrus and hoppy but turned slighty musty (malty?) after a few minutes in the glass

T- The first sip was pleasant, even very good. I had a couple of my first HopDevils the night before and thought I was on the same track. After a few sips however, a distinctly musty character presented itself. I thought to blame in on the sharp cheddar I had just had and even went so far as to rinse my mouth out with distilled water and try again, but it would not go away.

M- Spread across the palate in a big way. Didn't seem as strong as the 7% indicated.

D- Not good. Had to force my way through a second bottle which I opened to be sure the first wasn't a bad example.

I guess I may be spoiled by my earlier experiences with Alpha King, HopDevil and my new found obsession with DFH 90 minute, but I would not drink this one again. The remaining four bottles will go to future guests.

04-04-2006 19:33:31 | More by dhchatfield
ChuckD

4/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into a chalice. Tawny, thick lacing atop a bright orange/red body.

To the nose, very organic floral bouquet jumps right out front. There is a fruity malt sweetness present - but you have to really be watching for it.

In the mouth, the upfront malts give way quickly to a juicy and tasty hop character that drives the ship here. The hops are nicely melded leaving a complex oily layer of bittersweet tastes on your tongue. There is a slight malt sweetness to be found - but it is hidden well.

The feel of this IPA is full and in your face. The hops and carbonation form a very drinkable beer that hold strong to the end. Finishes dry and earthy.

Musings: Hop Valley here. Very nicely done with layers and layers of floral goodness. Another highly satisfying brew from this house.

04-04-2006 19:29:30 | More by ChuckD
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle. A really nice IPA. Heavy lychee, pine and grapefruit. Pretty soft, with a bitter bite at the end. Really well balanced, nice warming shot of alcohol at the end. Great IPA, from a pretty decent brewery, glad we dropped by Boonville and picked up some bottles of this.

03-29-2006 18:16:26 | More by rastaman
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a nice thick puffy head that follows the beer down the glass. It's hoppy scent slaps you with in the face with a big fruity smack then it let's you down with its beautiful hop aroma. It has tastes of fruits and citrus with a sharp hoppy finish. Much like the head, the mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a smooth finish. By far one of my most favorite IPAs, this one will leave you begging for more!

03-27-2006 20:22:07 | More by Jaynuze
AltBock

3.88/5  rDev -3%

12oz. bottle with a picture of the Anderson Valley (?) with a bear with antlers drinking from a lake. There is a neck label with an even bigger picture of their mascot, the bear with antlers. To me it's kind of stuipd, but it makes sense to them somehow. On the back label, they give a nice detailed description of the beer. There was no date on the front or the back.

Appearance: When poured into a mug, the beer was this nice golden/orange color with a big 2 finger head of white foam. The foam dissipated very slowly leaving behind plenty of white sticky lace.

Smell: There was much of an aroma as I thought might be there. What I got was this slight aroma of only citrus fruits and some hops in the background.

Taste: It had a huge taste of strong citrus fruits, mostly the grapefruit, with strong background of burnt hops. The bottle said it would have a taste of honey drenched malts, but I couldn't taste any of that. I could detect some malts sometimes, but they weren't honey drenched. In my bottle the hops conquered all!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and with a strong aftertaste of burnt hops.

Drinkability: The label listed that it kicks like a cankicky bluetail and a rattlesnake, and believe me it did. Maybe not like a rattlesnake though. Overall I found this quite good and refreshing. Something I might buy again.

03-26-2006 21:22:02 | More by AltBock
ITK4ever

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

I really honestly expect more from Anderson Valley after reading many reviews. Hop Ottin' isn't bad, mind you...just not, IMHO, where I thought it should shake out. Color is amber and clear, with a one finger head that lingers. Not bad. Smell is hoppy and a hint of malt but not overbearing for an IPA. Hops hit up front, but don't knock you on your ass like I was expecting. The malt is there and stays a little longer than I normally like from an IPA. Hoppy finish. The one thing this beer does do is hide the ABV relatively well. Not bad, just not a go-to.

03-21-2006 18:01:32 | More by ITK4ever
Crosling

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -21.8%

Chestnut. Suprisingly subtle floral hop aroma with a touch of pine cones and malty sweetness. I have a feeling that this is an older bottle mainly because the hop presence I was expecting just wasn’t there. Still though, the malt is still fairly effective as the lead. Notes of honey and caramel overpower the hop flavor and bitterness.

03-20-2006 20:17:24 | More by Crosling
tattooedtolley

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz bottle w/a cool label

Appearance: Copper color with a quickly lived head that left a bunch of lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hops mostly.

Taste: Holy hops! This IPA would certainly satisfy anyone with a taste for hops. The citrusy hops are in command in the taste but the malt is apparent in the body and contributes to balance the hop bitterness, but only slightly.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium body. Has the body and mouthfeel I typically like in an IPA.

Drinkability: Crisp, refreshing, fruity, hoppy IPA. I love the style and this offering from Anderson Valley is excellent. No way I could stop with just one.

Overall a great offering from AVBC. I have tried for the absolute longest time to get their beers in my home town and I finally was able to, thanks to my good friends at The Wine Cellar here in Staunton, thanks Nancy.

03-08-2006 13:52:39 | More by tattooedtolley
bignick

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Anderson Valley has done a very nice job with this IPA. It really nails down the American IPA style that has evolved over the last twenty or so years. This beer really brings the hops. I do not detect the alcohol much because of the strength of the hops, but its full-body prevents it from being too much of a session beer. This is a very nice beer to have around for regular drinking with meals.

03-08-2006 01:30:22 | More by bignick
audiojon

A decent IPA, definitely not a favorite. One of the few times I've been uninspired to finish a 6-pack, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit instead. Good mouthfeel, decent smell, but the taste was just not right for me. The hops didn't kick my ass, and if that ain't happenin I'd at least like some balance and drinkability. Alas, I found little to get excited about here. Can't recommend when there are so many better IPAs on the market.

03-07-2006 09:38:53 | More by audiojon
brentk56

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy honey colored body with a prodigious head that displays great retention and lacing

Smell: Mandarin orange citrus nose

Taste: A ton of hoppy bitter flavors without much of a malt backbone; extremely orange bitterness on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation; the beer dries out the mouth and provides some warmth on the finish

Drinkability: A bit too one dimensional for my tastebuds; just too harsh for me

02-28-2006 03:10:47 | More by brentk56
DuqTroops

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: amber/copper color with a medium amount of head on top - none leaves on side of glass (unusual of IPAs)

Smell: strange malt smell, very hoppy. citrus and a little pine smell to it

Taste: still smells the pine and citrus flavors. not the best tasting ipa, but decent enough to get more for later.

Drinkability: hard to find beer, well worth the trip

02-25-2006 03:44:53 | More by DuqTroops
GimmeAles

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Nice label with the scenic Anderson Valley in the background. For some whimsy, an Elk-Antlered Bear drinks from a pond in the foreground. No freshness date, but instructions on proper serving temps listed (40-45 F) along with the comment: 'Hope-heads, your dreams have come true!' Pours a slight copperish golden color and forms a nice, silky 1.5 finger head from a gentle pour. Shrinks to a nice 1cm sheet sealing the glass, substantial lacing all the way down - nice!

Smell is complex, floral-citric hops and a faint vanilla malt presence in the background. Lightly sweet malts become more present as it warms.

Taste is of sweet, juicy pineapples up front with some delicate honey-vanilla in the middle but a dry, grapefriut bitterness quickly hits the palate in the finish. Delicious juicy hop flavors all over the place and each sip seems to gently alter the fruity hopmalt balance, though hops in no way lose their dominance. This is a very hoppy beer.

Mouthfeel is not chewy, but not light - a very nice balance tipping towards DIPA territory but remaining very drinkable. Could be a great session beer but for the 7% ABV.

This was heartily recommended by a friend and I can see why. I completely agree with the exclamation on the label!

02-24-2006 22:19:49 | More by GimmeAles
ElGordo

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -5%

First review was less favorable - maybe I had an off bottle. Pours an orangish color topped by a good two-finger sticky tan head that hangs around for a good long while. Aroma of spicy hops with a touch of pine resin. Flavor is pure hops up front, in all their lupulin-laced glory. A bit of light English malt emerges mid-palate to provide some balance, leading to a strongly bitter, slightly peppery finish. Body is a little thin for all the flavor that's present here. Although this is quite tasty, I have to say, the bitterness and the alcohol make it a bit much to have more than one of in an evening.

02-24-2006 05:53:33 | More by ElGordo
ReebShorts

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a reddish color, like an amber. Sticky head just kinda "Plops" and sits there. Looks nice.

Ahh, here we go. Hops aren't hidden here, aroma is hops, and hops.. there is also a perfuminess noticed and a touch of caramel.

Wow! Thanks DogFood11 for bringing this one to me from Cali, never seen this one in WA. I would call this a session IPA (as sessionalbe as an IPA can be). Man this thing is balanced, tasty, hoppy, drinkable, great. Too bad I can't get it up here...

02-23-2006 06:39:33 | More by ReebShorts
MaltyGoodness

12oz. bottle

Pours a medium orange amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins. Decent lacing on the glass.

Very citrusy and almost sweet hop aroma. Very disctinct grapefruit aroma.

Taste is all hops. Lots of citrusy resinous hops with a very pronounced grapefruit characteristic. Has a nice bitter bite - quite a few IBUs in this sucker.

Plenty of carbonation, full body with a slick texture.

Nice drinking IPA, a very solid brew. This one seems to get overlooked a bit, but is certainly in the mix with the best IPAs from the west coast.

02-17-2006 03:45:35 | More by MaltyGoodness
masikon

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a copper glow with a nice sticky white head on top. Nose was surprisingly malt heavy with essence of honey and fresh bread along with the floral hops. The taste is definitely a hop-a-thon with the first wave being tingly biting pine needles which are followed with a bit of mellowness as the malt makes a half-hearted effort to balance things out....the finish is bone dry with a puckering bitterness. I have to go contrary to what others have said on this one, I feel the hops here are not especially well done but rather overly aggressive and dominant at the expense of much discernable flavor. Perhaps the variety of hops used doesn't agree with me but I prefer to get easily detectable citrus and herbal flavors from my IPA's rather than simply over-the-top harsh bitterness.

02-16-2006 23:17:50 | More by masikon
ghostwalker

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Clear, hazy orange body with 1 finger of white head.

Nose is mild citrus with noticeable maltiness.

Flavor is a tasty, but rather mild. A well balanced malt/citrus blend. A decent brew, but not really what I think of as a West Coast IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I only purchased a single as a taster/reviewer, but enjoyed on tap it would probably make a good session brew.

02-15-2006 21:35:37 | More by ghostwalker
andythejerk

Utah

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

In reviewing this beer, I have to admit that I am not a big hophead. IPA is not my preferred style, though I can enjoy one just fine, as I did this one. This is definitely one of the better IPAs I have tried. Beautiful dark orangish-amber with a decent-sized, sticky head, The entire glass maintained a good lacing, all the way to the last swallow. I was impressed when I was hit by the sharp aroma of hops as I brought the glass to my nose--it was a good premonition of the taste to come. Good, strong, burnt hoppy flavor that had a nice bite and a crisp edge to it. Like I said, I'm not big into IPA, so I'm trying to be fair, because I really did thing it was a well-made brew.

02-13-2006 03:33:21 | More by andythejerk
Rezzin

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Nice amber/copper color with a medium fully white head.

S - Piny and citrusy... caramel scent is also present. Not as aromatic as I'd like but not bad.

T - First sip is pretty good - I haven't had an IPA in a few days so the taste is quite welcoming. The hops hit you right away and there's just enough malt to balance things out. A slightly bitter aftertaste but I like it - not overly bitter.

M - Goes down smooth - hard to tell its 7% ABV. It has decent mouthfeel but seems a little thin to me.

D - I shop at Trader Joe's pretty often and will definitely pick this one up again. Not the best IPA on the block but definitely not a bad one.

02-10-2006 03:21:55 | More by Rezzin
sloejams

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a fine example of California IPA: hops up front, hops in the back and hops kicking in your teeth.

I'm so glad that my local Trader Joe's always has this in stock. I often pick up a 6 pack, when picking up my strange frozen foods. One stop convenience - I can dig it.

It has a nice color - amber-orange with a frothy head that stays there for hours. The aroma is a bouquet of hops - some floral, some citrus, and some piney. If my girlfriend were to put in writing that she wouldn't leave me - I would concoct some sort of cologne using hops like these. I would smell myself all day long. It would be weird.

The taste is brilliant - all those hops pack a punch. It's a piney taste that is very refreshing, I'm very fond. There's a good deal of booze in there, the 7% ABV is no surprise, still is very drinkable. It goes down very easy.

If you like your IPAs hoppy and lord knows you should - grab a 6 pack of this.

02-10-2006 00:39:57 | More by sloejams
wingnutter

4/5  rDev 0%

Solid 4's across the board.

Nice golden amber color aith a finger head that disappears while I let it breathe for a minute.

Piney Floral aroma hits me like a brick. This is gonna be a hoppy beer.

VERY hoppy and bitter taste. Citrusy kick as well. This beer is all about the hops. Not much malt, but just enough to keep it from getting out of control. The hops are quickly beating up my tastebuds, and thats a good thing!

Pretty tasty and thirst quenching. At 7%, go easy though. It would be way too easy to pound a few of these back without even trying. Excellent drinkability. A nice IPA from Anderson Valley.

02-02-2006 04:54:06 | More by wingnutter