Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
pDev: 12%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Jaynuze

District of Columbia

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours a nice thick puffy head that follows the beer down the glass. It's hoppy scent slaps you with in the face with a big fruity smack then it let's you down with its beautiful hop aroma. It has tastes of fruits and citrus with a sharp hoppy finish. Much like the head, the mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a smooth finish. By far one of my most favorite IPAs, this one will leave you begging for more!

03-27-2006 20:22:07 | More by Jaynuze
AltBock

3.88/5  rDev -3%

12oz. bottle with a picture of the Anderson Valley (?) with a bear with antlers drinking from a lake. There is a neck label with an even bigger picture of their mascot, the bear with antlers. To me it's kind of stuipd, but it makes sense to them somehow. On the back label, they give a nice detailed description of the beer. There was no date on the front or the back.

Appearance: When poured into a mug, the beer was this nice golden/orange color with a big 2 finger head of white foam. The foam dissipated very slowly leaving behind plenty of white sticky lace.

Smell: There was much of an aroma as I thought might be there. What I got was this slight aroma of only citrus fruits and some hops in the background.

Taste: It had a huge taste of strong citrus fruits, mostly the grapefruit, with strong background of burnt hops. The bottle said it would have a taste of honey drenched malts, but I couldn't taste any of that. I could detect some malts sometimes, but they weren't honey drenched. In my bottle the hops conquered all!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and with a strong aftertaste of burnt hops.

Drinkability: The label listed that it kicks like a cankicky bluetail and a rattlesnake, and believe me it did. Maybe not like a rattlesnake though. Overall I found this quite good and refreshing. Something I might buy again.

03-26-2006 21:22:02 | More by AltBock
ITK4ever

Maryland

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

I really honestly expect more from Anderson Valley after reading many reviews. Hop Ottin' isn't bad, mind you...just not, IMHO, where I thought it should shake out. Color is amber and clear, with a one finger head that lingers. Not bad. Smell is hoppy and a hint of malt but not overbearing for an IPA. Hops hit up front, but don't knock you on your ass like I was expecting. The malt is there and stays a little longer than I normally like from an IPA. Hoppy finish. The one thing this beer does do is hide the ABV relatively well. Not bad, just not a go-to.

03-21-2006 18:01:32 | More by ITK4ever
Crosling

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -21.8%

Chestnut. Suprisingly subtle floral hop aroma with a touch of pine cones and malty sweetness. I have a feeling that this is an older bottle mainly because the hop presence I was expecting just wasn’t there. Still though, the malt is still fairly effective as the lead. Notes of honey and caramel overpower the hop flavor and bitterness.

03-20-2006 20:17:24 | More by Crosling
tattooedtolley

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz bottle w/a cool label

Appearance: Copper color with a quickly lived head that left a bunch of lacing.

Smell: Citrusy hops mostly.

Taste: Holy hops! This IPA would certainly satisfy anyone with a taste for hops. The citrusy hops are in command in the taste but the malt is apparent in the body and contributes to balance the hop bitterness, but only slightly.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium body. Has the body and mouthfeel I typically like in an IPA.

Drinkability: Crisp, refreshing, fruity, hoppy IPA. I love the style and this offering from Anderson Valley is excellent. No way I could stop with just one.

Overall a great offering from AVBC. I have tried for the absolute longest time to get their beers in my home town and I finally was able to, thanks to my good friends at The Wine Cellar here in Staunton, thanks Nancy.

03-08-2006 13:52:39 | More by tattooedtolley
bignick

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Anderson Valley has done a very nice job with this IPA. It really nails down the American IPA style that has evolved over the last twenty or so years. This beer really brings the hops. I do not detect the alcohol much because of the strength of the hops, but its full-body prevents it from being too much of a session beer. This is a very nice beer to have around for regular drinking with meals.

03-08-2006 01:30:22 | More by bignick
audiojon

A decent IPA, definitely not a favorite. One of the few times I've been uninspired to finish a 6-pack, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit instead. Good mouthfeel, decent smell, but the taste was just not right for me. The hops didn't kick my ass, and if that ain't happenin I'd at least like some balance and drinkability. Alas, I found little to get excited about here. Can't recommend when there are so many better IPAs on the market.

03-07-2006 09:38:53 | More by audiojon
brentk56

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy honey colored body with a prodigious head that displays great retention and lacing

Smell: Mandarin orange citrus nose

Taste: A ton of hoppy bitter flavors without much of a malt backbone; extremely orange bitterness on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation; the beer dries out the mouth and provides some warmth on the finish

Drinkability: A bit too one dimensional for my tastebuds; just too harsh for me

02-28-2006 03:10:47 | More by brentk56
DuqTroops

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: amber/copper color with a medium amount of head on top - none leaves on side of glass (unusual of IPAs)

Smell: strange malt smell, very hoppy. citrus and a little pine smell to it

Taste: still smells the pine and citrus flavors. not the best tasting ipa, but decent enough to get more for later.

Drinkability: hard to find beer, well worth the trip

02-25-2006 03:44:53 | More by DuqTroops
GimmeAles

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Nice label with the scenic Anderson Valley in the background. For some whimsy, an Elk-Antlered Bear drinks from a pond in the foreground. No freshness date, but instructions on proper serving temps listed (40-45 F) along with the comment: 'Hope-heads, your dreams have come true!' Pours a slight copperish golden color and forms a nice, silky 1.5 finger head from a gentle pour. Shrinks to a nice 1cm sheet sealing the glass, substantial lacing all the way down - nice!

Smell is complex, floral-citric hops and a faint vanilla malt presence in the background. Lightly sweet malts become more present as it warms.

Taste is of sweet, juicy pineapples up front with some delicate honey-vanilla in the middle but a dry, grapefriut bitterness quickly hits the palate in the finish. Delicious juicy hop flavors all over the place and each sip seems to gently alter the fruity hopmalt balance, though hops in no way lose their dominance. This is a very hoppy beer.

Mouthfeel is not chewy, but not light - a very nice balance tipping towards DIPA territory but remaining very drinkable. Could be a great session beer but for the 7% ABV.

This was heartily recommended by a friend and I can see why. I completely agree with the exclamation on the label!

02-24-2006 22:19:49 | More by GimmeAles
ElGordo

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -5%

First review was less favorable - maybe I had an off bottle. Pours an orangish color topped by a good two-finger sticky tan head that hangs around for a good long while. Aroma of spicy hops with a touch of pine resin. Flavor is pure hops up front, in all their lupulin-laced glory. A bit of light English malt emerges mid-palate to provide some balance, leading to a strongly bitter, slightly peppery finish. Body is a little thin for all the flavor that's present here. Although this is quite tasty, I have to say, the bitterness and the alcohol make it a bit much to have more than one of in an evening.

02-24-2006 05:53:33 | More by ElGordo
ReebShorts

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a reddish color, like an amber. Sticky head just kinda "Plops" and sits there. Looks nice.

Ahh, here we go. Hops aren't hidden here, aroma is hops, and hops.. there is also a perfuminess noticed and a touch of caramel.

Wow! Thanks DogFood11 for bringing this one to me from Cali, never seen this one in WA. I would call this a session IPA (as sessionalbe as an IPA can be). Man this thing is balanced, tasty, hoppy, drinkable, great. Too bad I can't get it up here...

02-23-2006 06:39:33 | More by ReebShorts
MaltyGoodness

4/5  rDev 0%

12oz. bottle

Pours a medium orange amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins. Decent lacing on the glass.

Very citrusy and almost sweet hop aroma. Very disctinct grapefruit aroma.

Taste is all hops. Lots of citrusy resinous hops with a very pronounced grapefruit characteristic. Has a nice bitter bite - quite a few IBUs in this sucker.

Plenty of carbonation, full body with a slick texture.

Nice drinking IPA, a very solid brew. This one seems to get overlooked a bit, but is certainly in the mix with the best IPAs from the west coast.

02-17-2006 03:45:35 | More by MaltyGoodness
masikon

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a copper glow with a nice sticky white head on top. Nose was surprisingly malt heavy with essence of honey and fresh bread along with the floral hops. The taste is definitely a hop-a-thon with the first wave being tingly biting pine needles which are followed with a bit of mellowness as the malt makes a half-hearted effort to balance things out....the finish is bone dry with a puckering bitterness. I have to go contrary to what others have said on this one, I feel the hops here are not especially well done but rather overly aggressive and dominant at the expense of much discernable flavor. Perhaps the variety of hops used doesn't agree with me but I prefer to get easily detectable citrus and herbal flavors from my IPA's rather than simply over-the-top harsh bitterness.

02-16-2006 23:17:50 | More by masikon
ghostwalker

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Clear, hazy orange body with 1 finger of white head.

Nose is mild citrus with noticeable maltiness.

Flavor is a tasty, but rather mild. A well balanced malt/citrus blend. A decent brew, but not really what I think of as a West Coast IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I only purchased a single as a taster/reviewer, but enjoyed on tap it would probably make a good session brew.

02-15-2006 21:35:37 | More by ghostwalker
andythejerk

Utah

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

In reviewing this beer, I have to admit that I am not a big hophead. IPA is not my preferred style, though I can enjoy one just fine, as I did this one. This is definitely one of the better IPAs I have tried. Beautiful dark orangish-amber with a decent-sized, sticky head, The entire glass maintained a good lacing, all the way to the last swallow. I was impressed when I was hit by the sharp aroma of hops as I brought the glass to my nose--it was a good premonition of the taste to come. Good, strong, burnt hoppy flavor that had a nice bite and a crisp edge to it. Like I said, I'm not big into IPA, so I'm trying to be fair, because I really did thing it was a well-made brew.

02-13-2006 03:33:21 | More by andythejerk
Rezzin

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Nice amber/copper color with a medium fully white head.

S - Piny and citrusy... caramel scent is also present. Not as aromatic as I'd like but not bad.

T - First sip is pretty good - I haven't had an IPA in a few days so the taste is quite welcoming. The hops hit you right away and there's just enough malt to balance things out. A slightly bitter aftertaste but I like it - not overly bitter.

M - Goes down smooth - hard to tell its 7% ABV. It has decent mouthfeel but seems a little thin to me.

D - I shop at Trader Joe's pretty often and will definitely pick this one up again. Not the best IPA on the block but definitely not a bad one.

02-10-2006 03:21:55 | More by Rezzin
sloejams

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a fine example of California IPA: hops up front, hops in the back and hops kicking in your teeth.

I'm so glad that my local Trader Joe's always has this in stock. I often pick up a 6 pack, when picking up my strange frozen foods. One stop convenience - I can dig it.

It has a nice color - amber-orange with a frothy head that stays there for hours. The aroma is a bouquet of hops - some floral, some citrus, and some piney. If my girlfriend were to put in writing that she wouldn't leave me - I would concoct some sort of cologne using hops like these. I would smell myself all day long. It would be weird.

The taste is brilliant - all those hops pack a punch. It's a piney taste that is very refreshing, I'm very fond. There's a good deal of booze in there, the 7% ABV is no surprise, still is very drinkable. It goes down very easy.

If you like your IPAs hoppy and lord knows you should - grab a 6 pack of this.

02-10-2006 00:39:57 | More by sloejams
wingnutter

4/5  rDev 0%

Solid 4's across the board.

Nice golden amber color aith a finger head that disappears while I let it breathe for a minute.

Piney Floral aroma hits me like a brick. This is gonna be a hoppy beer.

VERY hoppy and bitter taste. Citrusy kick as well. This beer is all about the hops. Not much malt, but just enough to keep it from getting out of control. The hops are quickly beating up my tastebuds, and thats a good thing!

Pretty tasty and thirst quenching. At 7%, go easy though. It would be way too easy to pound a few of these back without even trying. Excellent drinkability. A nice IPA from Anderson Valley.

02-02-2006 04:54:06 | More by wingnutter
johnniemarg

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Huge (2 inches or more) firm beige head. It's an amber color that is mostly translucent but has just a hint of cloudiness. Lacing is magnificent.

Strong flowery hop and citrus aroma.

The flowery hops are really just too sour to me. Whatever the type of hops are that are used in this, they're not the variety I favor in my IPAs.

Medium body oily mouthfeel.

I don't understand why so many people love this so much. This is not for me.

01-30-2006 00:13:15 | More by johnniemarg
nlmartin

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

The beer was poured from a bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark amber coloration. The head was thick and puffy. The head coloration was off white honey colored.

Smell: The beer is upfront hoppy piney spicyness. There is a citrus and grape combination present in the smell. Some very pleasing bready type smells are also abundant.

Taste: No messing around with this beer. The hops punch you in the mouth and dont let up. Loads of spicy piney goodness. The malty breadyness provides great support to the beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer is big and tasty full bodied and then some.

Drinkability: This beer does not play around with the beer drinker. There is plenty of hop goodness and the malts are really great. The beer is not exactly balanced but it is still fantastic.

01-26-2006 15:06:03 | More by nlmartin
rajendra82

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this from Hi-Time Wine in Costa Mesa, during a recent visit to Southern California. No freshness date on the label, but otherwise some good information about the beer. The beer poured clear peach in color, with a two finger thick head retained very well. The Smell was piney, and grapefruity, with a little peppery bite. The aroma was not quite as fat I was thinking it was going to be. The taste was quintessential West Coast IPA., with an abundance of pine resin and grapefruit, and more than a smattering of caramel malt. Very juicy and tart taste, and a quenching yet dry mouthfeel made this a very quaffable beer. The alcohol at 7% was a bit high for a single IPA, but it only showed up in moderate number of fumy intervals. Before I knew it, the whole bomber was a goner.

01-26-2006 03:12:30 | More by rajendra82
froggyfrog

4.4/5  rDev +10%

Fat ass bomber bottle somewhat questionably "imported" from California to Pennsylvania last month. Served in an industrial-duty snifter.

The hard pour leaves my snifter to gasping for air as the top quarter of the glass fills with a rapidly rising thick white head. The beer itself is darker than I expected, I'm going to say approximately Pantone 174. CV.

Smells like a big old American Hop Bomb. Lots of C-hop volatiles jumping out of this glass. Also getting a darker maybe caramel-type malt scent.

Flavor is fantastic. Excellent Pacific Northwest hop delivery balanced expertly with the aforementioned malt. Chewing on the head brings thoughts of mossy bark just before the liquid flavor explodes into citrus hop heaven.

Digging the mouthfeel on this one. It's damn near perfect for the style.

This is a seriously flavorful brew with some interesting malty undertones taunting from behind the the piney citrus curtain just daring you to attempt to reach through and pin them down.

Final thoughts: Hop Heads, grab this beer and jump in head first!

01-25-2006 04:17:09 | More by froggyfrog
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours caramel with a crazy 3-fingers plus deep offwhite colored head> Great head retention and very good lacing

Smell: Piney hops not much else

Taste: Spicy/piney hops & fruittiness mix together, with a crisp/sweet/ hoppy dry finish. Hops impart an earthy tea/pine flavor

MF: Smooth & perfectly balanced, good carbonation levels and just feeling so rich on the tounge

Very drinkable, a little too hefty to drink all night, but a very good IPA would love to try at the source (tasters note: I know I was getting this in SC at liqour stores, despite their cap, circa 93-95)

01-25-2006 04:04:26 | More by russpowell
orfeu

New Mexico

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

22 ounce bomber. Clear copper, active carbonation. Huge soapy, frothy off-white head and sticky lace rings every 1/8" inch. Massive Cascade aroma: grapefruits, floral scents. Hints of vanilla. Caramel malt, maybe, too. Maybe. Juicy grapefruity Cascades assault my tongue. Finish of chewy, biscuity malts. This is 100% about the hops, but enough malt abides as a check. I'd surely drink this one again. Overall, an excellent IPA.

01-22-2006 05:20:25 | More by orfeu