Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -8%

Clear, hazy orange body with 1 finger of white head.

Nose is mild citrus with noticeable maltiness.

Flavor is a tasty, but rather mild. A well balanced malt/citrus blend. A decent brew, but not really what I think of as a West Coast IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium with light carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good. I only purchased a single as a taster/reviewer, but enjoyed on tap it would probably make a good session brew.

ghostwalker, Feb 15, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

In reviewing this beer, I have to admit that I am not a big hophead. IPA is not my preferred style, though I can enjoy one just fine, as I did this one. This is definitely one of the better IPAs I have tried. Beautiful dark orangish-amber with a decent-sized, sticky head, The entire glass maintained a good lacing, all the way to the last swallow. I was impressed when I was hit by the sharp aroma of hops as I brought the glass to my nose--it was a good premonition of the taste to come. Good, strong, burnt hoppy flavor that had a nice bite and a crisp edge to it. Like I said, I'm not big into IPA, so I'm trying to be fair, because I really did thing it was a well-made brew.

andythejerk, Feb 13, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Nice amber/copper color with a medium fully white head.

S - Piny and citrusy... caramel scent is also present. Not as aromatic as I'd like but not bad.

T - First sip is pretty good - I haven't had an IPA in a few days so the taste is quite welcoming. The hops hit you right away and there's just enough malt to balance things out. A slightly bitter aftertaste but I like it - not overly bitter.

M - Goes down smooth - hard to tell its 7% ABV. It has decent mouthfeel but seems a little thin to me.

D - I shop at Trader Joe's pretty often and will definitely pick this one up again. Not the best IPA on the block but definitely not a bad one.

Rezzin, Feb 10, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a fine example of California IPA: hops up front, hops in the back and hops kicking in your teeth.

I'm so glad that my local Trader Joe's always has this in stock. I often pick up a 6 pack, when picking up my strange frozen foods. One stop convenience - I can dig it.

It has a nice color - amber-orange with a frothy head that stays there for hours. The aroma is a bouquet of hops - some floral, some citrus, and some piney. If my girlfriend were to put in writing that she wouldn't leave me - I would concoct some sort of cologne using hops like these. I would smell myself all day long. It would be weird.

The taste is brilliant - all those hops pack a punch. It's a piney taste that is very refreshing, I'm very fond. There's a good deal of booze in there, the 7% ABV is no surprise, still is very drinkable. It goes down very easy.

If you like your IPAs hoppy and lord knows you should - grab a 6 pack of this.

sloejams, Feb 10, 2006
4/5  rDev 0%

Solid 4's across the board.

Nice golden amber color aith a finger head that disappears while I let it breathe for a minute.

Piney Floral aroma hits me like a brick. This is gonna be a hoppy beer.

VERY hoppy and bitter taste. Citrusy kick as well. This beer is all about the hops. Not much malt, but just enough to keep it from getting out of control. The hops are quickly beating up my tastebuds, and thats a good thing!

Pretty tasty and thirst quenching. At 7%, go easy though. It would be way too easy to pound a few of these back without even trying. Excellent drinkability. A nice IPA from Anderson Valley.

wingnutter, Feb 02, 2006
3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Huge (2 inches or more) firm beige head. It's an amber color that is mostly translucent but has just a hint of cloudiness. Lacing is magnificent.

Strong flowery hop and citrus aroma.

The flowery hops are really just too sour to me. Whatever the type of hops are that are used in this, they're not the variety I favor in my IPAs.

Medium body oily mouthfeel.

I don't understand why so many people love this so much. This is not for me.

johnniemarg, Jan 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

The beer was poured from a bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark amber coloration. The head was thick and puffy. The head coloration was off white honey colored.

Smell: The beer is upfront hoppy piney spicyness. There is a citrus and grape combination present in the smell. Some very pleasing bready type smells are also abundant.

Taste: No messing around with this beer. The hops punch you in the mouth and dont let up. Loads of spicy piney goodness. The malty breadyness provides great support to the beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer is big and tasty full bodied and then some.

Drinkability: This beer does not play around with the beer drinker. There is plenty of hop goodness and the malts are really great. The beer is not exactly balanced but it is still fantastic.

nlmartin, Jan 26, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked up a 22 oz. bomber of this from Hi-Time Wine in Costa Mesa, during a recent visit to Southern California. No freshness date on the label, but otherwise some good information about the beer. The beer poured clear peach in color, with a two finger thick head retained very well. The Smell was piney, and grapefruity, with a little peppery bite. The aroma was not quite as fat I was thinking it was going to be. The taste was quintessential West Coast IPA., with an abundance of pine resin and grapefruit, and more than a smattering of caramel malt. Very juicy and tart taste, and a quenching yet dry mouthfeel made this a very quaffable beer. The alcohol at 7% was a bit high for a single IPA, but it only showed up in moderate number of fumy intervals. Before I knew it, the whole bomber was a goner.

rajendra82, Jan 26, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +10%

Fat ass bomber bottle somewhat questionably "imported" from California to Pennsylvania last month. Served in an industrial-duty snifter.

The hard pour leaves my snifter to gasping for air as the top quarter of the glass fills with a rapidly rising thick white head. The beer itself is darker than I expected, I'm going to say approximately Pantone 174. CV.

Smells like a big old American Hop Bomb. Lots of C-hop volatiles jumping out of this glass. Also getting a darker maybe caramel-type malt scent.

Flavor is fantastic. Excellent Pacific Northwest hop delivery balanced expertly with the aforementioned malt. Chewing on the head brings thoughts of mossy bark just before the liquid flavor explodes into citrus hop heaven.

Digging the mouthfeel on this one. It's damn near perfect for the style.

This is a seriously flavorful brew with some interesting malty undertones taunting from behind the the piney citrus curtain just daring you to attempt to reach through and pin them down.

Final thoughts: Hop Heads, grab this beer and jump in head first!

froggyfrog, Jan 25, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours caramel with a crazy 3-fingers plus deep offwhite colored head> Great head retention and very good lacing

Smell: Piney hops not much else

Taste: Spicy/piney hops & fruittiness mix together, with a crisp/sweet/ hoppy dry finish. Hops impart an earthy tea/pine flavor

MF: Smooth & perfectly balanced, good carbonation levels and just feeling so rich on the tounge

Very drinkable, a little too hefty to drink all night, but a very good IPA would love to try at the source (tasters note: I know I was getting this in SC at liqour stores, despite their cap, circa 93-95)

russpowell, Jan 25, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

22 ounce bomber. Clear copper, active carbonation. Huge soapy, frothy off-white head and sticky lace rings every 1/8" inch. Massive Cascade aroma: grapefruits, floral scents. Hints of vanilla. Caramel malt, maybe, too. Maybe. Juicy grapefruity Cascades assault my tongue. Finish of chewy, biscuity malts. This is 100% about the hops, but enough malt abides as a check. I'd surely drink this one again. Overall, an excellent IPA.

orfeu, Jan 22, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours clear copper in color. Nice head with good retention and lacing. Smells of floral hops and a hint of grapes -- I considered that the grape aroma could be subliminal from the grape-purple color on the label, but no, it's there. Moderate carbonation and medium bodied. A lot of tastes going on -- sharp and big on the hops, but complex. Tasty.

electrified, Jan 21, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA

On tap at Isaac Newton's, Newtown PA.

Appearance- orange/ honey brown with a decent fluffy white head.
Smell- Huge on the Citrus!
Taste- Grapefruit, Orange, and Lemon rind with a slight touch of malt.
Mouthfeel- so bitter so dry yet so smooth!

Overall- Probably the best IPA out there! Can't get enough of this. Downside is the price. $12.00 a sixer is pricey, so is $5 for a pint!

NJpadreFan, Jan 19, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a well-retained head that leaves behind a sticky, sprawling lace. Citrus hops and a touch of sweet malt in the aroma. Spicy grapefruit hops dominate the flavor with some light caramel grainy malt as well. Grassy hops and a hint of caramel in the lingering, bitter finish. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with fairly active carbonation.

The grapefruit character of the hop bite is a bit too much if you ask me, but otherwise it’s a decent IPA and certianly one of Anderson Valley’s better brews. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Jan 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Clear copper colored, not a trace of visible carbonation. Head rises quickly, falls fast, leaves sticky off-white lace.

Smell: Lots of citrus and lightly floral hops, very tart and assertive.

Taste: Wow, nice hop flavor. Citrus and more citrus grapefruit flavors. Nice carmel sweetness, hops linger a long time, with malt fading slowly into a nice grassy finish.

Mouthfeel: Very good, no complaints.

Drinkability: A top-notch IPA, nothing close to an off flavor anywhere. The rumours about this beer were true.

TastyTaste, Jan 17, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great brew. The 7-11 don't the street from my house carrys this stuff. (They also have one of their five isles dedicated completely to wine, I guess I'm moving up in the world)

Anywhoo, this stuff is great!

It pours a nice rich dark amber with a nice off white/tan head which is kind enough to stick around for a while.

There is a very nice hoppy aroma. The beer is nice and thick with lots of body to back up the the strong hop.

It is certainly nice that this stuff is 7%. You can grab a six pack and make quite an evening out of it.

Tang07, Jan 16, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +20%

clear, dark amber color, with a slightly off white head. settles down to a thin lace, leaving good lacing on the glass.

now if you put "hop" in the name of your beer, you better be serious .
these guys are serious. strong floral and grapefruit aroma. wow. "new car smell" should be this good. maybe some pine in there too, and we both know how much i like pine right?

hops again on show in the taste. very balanced with hop bitterness, flavor, and malts. the aftertaste though, is made mostly of hops, making sure you dont forget the name of your beer. kind of like each sip screams out "SAY MY NAME!!" finishes very smooth.

creamy mouthfeel makes this go down very easily. glad i got six as this has quickly become one of my favorite ipa's.

joecast, Dec 27, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +13.3%

Another great IPA. This one is a new item for Total Wine, Chesapeake VA. I got a single to try it out. Pours a nice cloudy orange-amber. Medium size head that hangs in there throughout. Huge amount of lacing. Average smell for an IPA. Great taste. Enough hop bite/bitterness to satisfy this hop head, yet it doesn't give you an "in your face" hops blast like Hop Hog or Bigfoot Ale. The hops and citrus flavors are very well balanced. Very balanced and rich (for an IPA) mouthfeel. I could drink this beer in mass quantities any time. Comparable drinkability to my regular staple, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

JayQue, Dec 24, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz single, Riley's

appearance: cloudy and hazy copper/orange, frothy head with heavy duty lacing...looks pretty solid

smell: i get caramel malts on the nose first, earthy, bitter hops, grapefruit, orange, a little piney... a tad malty for me

taste: slightly sour grapefruity hops are first, juicy and piney, other assorted citrus flavors, big time bitterness factor...good, but not one of my favorite american ipa's

mouthfeel: medium, almost full bodied...bitter and juicy

drinkability: pretty drinkable, but quite bitter

dirtylou, Dec 21, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a soft amber color with an off-white head that leaves behind very nice, extensive lacing. Aromas of hops, citrus, and grapefruit come out. The taste is rather astringent with poorly mixed flavors. The hop bitterness is clearly present, but it seems to fight the sweetness also present. A very uncomfortable aftertaste develops that leaves my mouth overly dry and soap-like. I didn't want to finish my pint, nor would I want another one of these.

jaluria, Dec 15, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very good reputation, but I don't think the beer lived up to it. I've heard that this is "very hoppy", and it does have good hop profile, but "strong" or "very hoppy" would not be my opinion.

Deep burnt orange color of fall leaves just going stale and an even film of head. Floral to resinous hop nose hindes a hint of molasses.

Pale malts with a slight salty note. Smell belies any hint and smashes any hope for sweetness. Hops are assertive, but not pull your tongue out, tie it around your neck and slap you with it strong; mostly resinous and tar-like.

Moderately light body has a clean washing slightly oily feel with delicate carbonation.

Another nothing special American IPA, though it is tasty and does go down easy for a hophead like me!

sopor, Nov 24, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

I've had this beer too many times to count so I guess it's time for a review. Dark orange-coppery color as it's poured into glass leaving a decent (for an IPA) head. Very intricate subsequent lacing. Aroma of toasty malts with a not overpowering hop/green smell. Taste, well, for my palate this is as good as it gets. Nice grapefruit flavor at first but mellows leaving a mild aftertaste. I love this beer and all of AV's products.

amstelcat, Nov 22, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -8%

Grabbed a pint at the Yardhouse in downtown San D.

Poured a dark copper/red color with a fizzy off-white head.

Very nice malty smell, smells pretty hoppy.

This one had a high malty sweetness and a fruity character like raisin. Nice citrus bitterness that sticks to the back of the tongue.

Nice but a little too sweet. Maybe I should pick up a bottle to make sure.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Nov 20, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Very pretty, a dense color somewhere between clover honey and caramel. Very hazy and difficult to see through, which gives it a rather bold, confident appearance. Head is yellow-white and fluffy, with excellent retention. Thick lacing all the way down.

Smell: Smell is fairly innocent. Caramel malts, a touch of diacetyl, a drop of honey. Nice, fresh, fruity edge of hops. Smells of a lush, green valley... kind of like the rustic scene depicted on the bottle.

Taste: Holy crap, these hops are hardcore! Incredibly crisp, with a woody/earthy edge. Carrots come to mind. A subtle citric sweetness is also detectable. Malts are, naturally, somewhat obstructed by the hops, but definitely there. Aggressively dry, kind of nutty finish.

Mouthfeel: This beer awakens your palate. Quite refreshing, but not exactly thirst-quenching.

Drinkability: If you aren't a fan of hops, drinking this could prove to be somewhat trying. But whether you're a hophead or not, you have to admit this beer packs a huge amount of flavor for how light it is. Good stuff!

Edit:

Shortly after finishing this beer, I went to brush my teeth. Ten minutes later, I could STILL taste the hops. Incredible!

soulgrowl, Nov 17, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +15%

When I reach for an IPA, this is the kind of beer I want to find in my hand. Yummy, yummy. This was a nicely bitter beer that managed to balance the 7% alcohol and high hop content with that magic quality: good taste. This beer comes highly recommended.

shbobdb, Nov 03, 2005