Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
pDev: 11%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,192 | Hads: 2,951
3.84/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. I've had a ton of Hop Ottin' over the years; I can't imagine why it's taken me so long to review.

Appearance: orange-brown hue with a bit of a haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam with a nice lace on the glass. I think it's pretty damn good-looking.

Smell: caramel malt with a very floral hop character. There's also a touch of citrus in there which is quite nice.

Taste: sweet, caramelly malt with a big, floral hop character. Bitterness is moderate and relatively balanced. If you like sweet IPAs, this one could be for you.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big carbonation and an amazing creaminess for an IPA. Bam!

Overall: this is a very good IPA, although its flavor profile definitely favors the floral, soapy, caramelly end of the spectrum. Drinkable and refreshing, I do like to have a few of these on occasion. (905 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Another brewery I missed a lot of reviews for some reason, this shouldn't be too old despite the lack of date.

Pours a nice creamy fluffy 1 finger head with some bubbles popping in the middle as it fades at a slow pace, nice lacing all over too, nice rosy amber red color, hazy.

Nose lots of candy malts, syrupy sweet caramel, little toffee, etc, candied orange peel, little citrus zest, fruity hops, hint of pineapple and citrus, etc, hint of booze wafting out. Aroma of an aged IPA unfortunately.

Taste brings a bit more sweetness, candy malts, syrupy, caramel, toffee, etc, with a little candied orange peel, little zest, some citrus and hint of pineapple, not really tropical fruit though, bit of warming booze. Again that aged hop IPA note. Finish is a bit sweet and candy like, fair bitterness, little toffee and caramel, little pineapple and bitter orange peel, etc.

Mouth is med bod, bit of warming booze, decent carb but not great.

Overall OK, but seems like it is aged a bit, not a great IPA at least this day and age, more like a muted aged IPA with flashes of what could have been good. Lots more malty, lighter on the hops, etc. I'll have to try this again if I can find it fresh, but with no date on the bottle it'll be hard. Maybe if I ever find a draft version. (1,282 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz can, Julian date stamped 14085
L - amber colored ale with a tall, frothy, rocky ivory head that leaves chunky lacing on the glass
S - bready malt, caramel, toasted grain, earth, pine
T - bread, caramel, toasted grain with a nice dose of bitter piny, earthy hops
F - fuller body, finishes moderately bitter and semi-dry
O - nice classic tasting American IPA with a bold malt backbone coupled with some hefty bitterness but is still very well balanced. I like coming back to this one every once in awhile. It's far from being a favorite of mine, but it's a solid IPA. (570 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown, with a large, somewhat dense and persistent tan head. The lacing is fine and scattered, the carbonation profuse and slow-rising.

Aroma: Massive notes of caramel overlaid with abundant grassy and pine hops.

Taste: Opens with substantial citric and pine hops. Some of the citric hops have a grapefruit character, others are more like sweet oranges, with a good measure of the pine hops as well. These, as expected for the style, are quite prominent throughout the taste. The malt, though secondary to the hops, offers a solid backbone of sweet caramel, and is a significant presence throughout the taste. Finishes with a long, lingering note of grassy and pine hops, the citric hop flavors having faded away.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, very full, with little carbonation noted.

Drinkability/notes: Wonderfully complex and satisfying, a very well-crafted example of a style which is not a particular favorite of mine. Nonetheless, Hop Ottin' IPA is hard not to like.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle, sealed with a pry-off crown. Served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager sensory glass. (1,164 characters)

First off the bottle Is beautiful I love the art. Along with other Anderson valley beers. This particular brew is absolutely perfect and is hands down one of the best out there. Have had in both bottle and glass. Taste great high flavorful hops. Not your average citrus brew, though It still has flavorful of citrus, it also has a high range of nuts brewed and you can definitely taste. Overall this brew from Anderson valley is perfect and its really not available as much as I thought it would be as a la resident. So get your hands on a bottle (546 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Impressive head gives way to nice lacing throughout the drinking, nice amber/copper color with minimal visible effervescence.

S- Pleasant sweet citrus notes, at first I was thinking bready but perhaps my nose was misguided.

T- I am trying to let this warm up a little but the first impression is this is an imminently drinkable full-flavored ale. Well balanced bitterness and sweetness.

M- This is a real palate pleaser, it's smooth and prompts another sip before long. (Hopefully not before it warms up enough for me to taste additional nuance)

O- I enjoyed this IPA and would certainly pick up another 6 pack of cans, it was a nice change of pace from the lighter colored IPAs. (686 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured in a Spiegelgau glass: 4F head which quickly resolved itself.
Light copper color- an attractive beer.

The aroma was not strong- light grapefruit and other citrus.

Mouth feel: quite smooth for an IPA, not well-carbonated, and transitioning well to the taste.

The taste was different at warmer and colder temps.
Colder temps- more grapefruit, malty, and a hoppy finish with some bitterness.
Warmer temps- less citrus, less bitter, and a cherry-like fruit taste. I preferred the beer at slightly warmer temps.

Overall: quite distinctive. The beer is different than other IPAs: there is a cherry/citrus taste, the MF is smoother, and the finish is more even- not overly bitter.
Worth checking out. (704 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I flew into San Jose, drove to Whole Foods and bought this 6 pack on the way to the hotel. Coming from Seattle what a pleasant surprise! Buy the Bear! Share it with your friends, this beer is fun, perfect for Palo Alto! The only proven is I am sure you can't get it in Texas (274 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a caramel gold with light foaming.

There’s a wonderfully subdued orange-citrus hop aroma, with a hint of piney spice.

The flavor comes off as enough of a west coast IPA for the hop addict, with enough malt backing to balance it out. Delicious. (254 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours clear amber with an one finger white head. Ok lacing.

S-Aroma is hoppy and caramel.

T-Nice flavors that are malt, huge pine, citrus and a hint of burnt caramel.

M-Mouthfeel is well balanced with a long bitter finish.

O-Overall a decent IPA (290 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this brew poured into a 12oz bar glass.

It pours a nice copper color. It is relatively clear with a very thin head.
The smell is not impressive at all as it has very little in the way of hop aroma, but you can definitely pick up on the malt body.
The taste is what you would expect of a good IPA. There is a nice hop bitterness at first, followed by a nice smooth malt body.
Mouthfeel was good.

I was not overly impressed with this brew. Maybe I had my hopes set too high but really I would classify this as a good but not great IPA. It is pretty easy drinking so if you have easy access to this beer I wouldn’t hesitate to have it be a regular in the line-up but I wouldn’t waist too much time or go too far out of my way to get it. (751 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

355 ml. bottle. The label reminds me of Northern Exposure series :-) Amber colour, medium h ead that last long enough to leave a great lace. Smell of tropical fruits, pine, tea - or is that tobacco? Medium to full body, sticking in the tongue. Taste of tropical fruits, tea leaves, pine, notes of citrus and caramel. Great. (323 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No date on can that I can see.

A - Opened the can and foam started coming out immediately. Poured a massive three finger frothy head and is a hazy golden orange color with tones of carbonation streaming up the glass.

S - Pine, Grass, resin, and spiciness, with a caramel malt backbone. Not over the top in the hops.

T - Follows the nose with the Pine, Grassy qualities. Has a herbal quality and a zestyness to it as well. Has a bitter bite and reminds me of a traditional IPA.

M - Smooth medium to full body with a softness to it. Pleasant and bitter on the tongue.

O - This is a nice traditional IPA, and reminds me of where great IPAs were about 5 years ago. Not a hop bomb by any standard but a nice tasting bitter IPA. If you love IPA's you might like this one however if they are not your favorite style you might be better off picking something else up, Cheers! (876 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Skyscraper of a head that slowly melts, leaving very nice lacing. Darker amber in color that what I'm used to from an IPA.

Smell: Smells much more like an APA than an IPA. I'm not getting hops here--only caramel malt and sweetness and nut aromas.

Taste: Starts off big on the caramel malt. Somewhere in there is pine flavor from the hops, but the malt swallows most of it. Reminds me of Alpha King, a beer that I didn't care much for but that I know a lot of people like. I was anticipating a hop bomb (I mean, hop is in the title plus this is a west coast beer), but I suppose this is well balanced. It finishes too sweet.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side of moderate, carbonation is also on the lower side. This doesn't go down all that easy for me.

Overall: Again, I understand that I may be disappointed because I didn't get the hop bomb I was looking for, but there's still some nice flavor here. The really sweet finish is what really turns me off. It's not something I would look for again, but those who like a sweeter IPA with nut and caramel flavors may love this one. (1,092 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a very good ipa, interestingly what stood out to me most was the head. It had the thickest, oddly sticky, head I've every seen. It sat on top of a nice reddish brown body with mild carbonation. Everything I wanted from a good ipa, nice hop character, refreshing, herbal, citrusy, I got a hint of vanilla in there as well. Very good beer. Only had one bottle, should've gotten 6. (387 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no date, poured into fancy glassware (a plastic cup).

Great looking beer. Dark for an IPA, clear, with a sturdy cap of silky foam. Smell is dark fruit, sweet caramel malt, biscuits, and pine. Big malt flavor at first, with a NW hop twist: berries, oranges, tropical fruit, pine, and a bitter resiny finish. (324 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

I've seen this in CA only but noticed it on tap at a fave pizza joint in PDX today...
Appearance: this is what I've always imagined beer to look like in Heaven. Perfect copper amber color with a frothy initial head that tapers off nicely
Smell- I can't smell so great today, but I'm getting a fresh latex paint smell - not turned off though
Taste- I'm not so much into the IPA floral bouquet ... This has a good bitter bite on the front end but a nice even finish with a touch of malt
Mouthfeel- amazing. Even is the best way to describe it. Not heavy, or light, but definitely robust.
I would put this up against the Plinies any day ... And choose it over them (661 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very transparent and big head on the pour. The color is darker than most IPAs with almost a honey amber color.
S: Not very much on the nose but a little bit of grapefruit
T: Hops used are not the strong american piney. some soggy bread and toasted malts on the end remind me more of a english IPA.
M: Medium-heavy
O: Good beer to try but the heavy malt influence and lack of the brightness i look for in an IPA keeps this one scored lower for me (449 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium goblet. It produces a massive, two finger head, like a lemon merengue pie. The color is a deep beautiful amber. The aroma is very rich--citrus hops, malt, and pine. The flavor is a bit more muted--hops, malt, grapefruit, pine, malt. Mouth feel is a bit on the thin side of medium. Overall this is an outstanding IPA. FocusDave gives a more knowledgable review below--I completely agree! (426 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz can (gasp) into a tulip.

A - Deep amber with about a finger of creamy light tan head. Sporadic lacing down the glass.

S - Floral and citrusy hops. I thought it would be a little more in your face (or nose), though.

T - Bitter earthy hops, but well balanced and a bright finish.

M - Full bodied up front but finishes clean and dry like an IPA should.

O - Whereas some west coast IPAs go for nothing but hop flavor and aroma, this is really well balanced while still maintaining the signature floral hop notes. (533 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.5%

355ml bottle. Shaker glass. Orangish amber color headed by white & wide crown. Piney, citric –orange & grapefruit- aromas, slight caramel malt & floral notes. Bitter upfront yields to a gentle sweet toasted flavor. Medium body. Moderate to soft carbonation. Honey hues in the middle are swept out by hoppiness that lingers into an extended bitter finish. (356 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%

After reading some of the reviews about this beer, I absolutely had to do a review, because I happen to disagree with a lot of what I saw.

One of the most common complaints is that the cans are extremely carbonated and explode upon opening. Always make it a habit to tap the top of ANY can you ever open, just a few firm taps or thumps work perfectly. You'll never deal with another mess again if you do this. With that being said, this beer IS rather aggressively carbonated, but I think it adds wonderfully to the flavor "pop" and mouthfeel.

As far as the malt bill goes, this is my favorite malt bill out of any IPA I've ever tried. It is incredibly complex, and not for the faint of heart. It is very front-forward with caramel sweetness, slight nutty tones, and also lends a subtle flavor that I would consider close to that of a granny smith apple. This IPA actually reminds me of apple juice in a lot of ways.

For the hops, this once again is not a beer for the faint of heart. I mean there are HOPS in this beer. I believe it is 80 IBU's or so at 7%. The hops are predominantly piney, herbal, and floral. There is also a little "kick" or spice to them. The hops are what make this beer. It is very aggressively hopped, which is the reason it is probably my favorite IPA in the world. The only others that come close would be Ruination IPA or Two-Hearted Ale.

I don't mention lacing or head when reviewing IPA's because I'm a firm believer that pouring these beers actually decreases the flavor and sometimes the brewer's purpose for the beer. Sure, you release aroma this way, but with this release comes the release of essential oils that the brewer intended to remain within the beer. Seeing that hops are the dominant flavor of most IPA's, I think every bit of the components of hops should remain in the beer, not get released into the atmosphere. Just my opinion. (1,881 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can. Pours a translucent reddish brown color with an inch of frothy head. Lots of lcaing. The aroma is floral hops, caramel malts and cinnamon. The taste is floral and piney hops with a good deal of malt flavor. Herbal and floral hops towards the end. Bitter floral finish. Medium bodied with a slightly oily mouthfeel. Pretty flowery IPA with a fair amount of malt flavor. Overall, its a good change of pace from the citrusy IPAs. Nothing fantastic but solid. (465 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my top-5 beers thus far, i got this from a local craft beer shop.

Appearance is nice, but not admirable. Copper head with a light amber body.

Smell is floral with notes of hops, not very strong though even after being poured.

Taste is spectacular. I tend to enjoy darker beers, but this brew has captured flavors i am still amazed by, i will be keeping this beer in my fridge from now on just for the flavor.

Mouthfeel is the same as Yeungling, not drying but a little course, however the taste is such a splender i actually had to open another one to pin-point the mouth feel, so high ratings here.

This is a great beer. (634 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Translucent, gold. Good head retention. Smell is piney, earthy, floral hops and a lot of them. Drinks very smooth with a lingering bitterness. Some crystal malt character but not remotely too sweet. Very floral in the mouth, becomes more piney as it lingers. (258 characters)

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company