Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Avg: 4
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,199 | Hads: 2,988
3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From an undated 650 ml bottle into a tulip.

A-An aggressive pour produces two-plus fingers of off-white head. The retention is decent and the lacing is quite impressive. The beer is honey colored and nearly clear. I can see a few bubbles of carbonation in there.

S-The hop scents are perfumey and floral with a bit of zesty, spicy orange. A big dose of caramel malt flavors provide some balance. It is nice smelling, but pretty pedestrian.

T-The taste, like the smell, is balanced between a decent hit of caramel malts and perfumed, floral orange notes. There is a bit of herbal dankness, too. Mildly bitter with just a hint of pine.

M-The feel is smooth and drinkable with a lightly oily feel. Heft is medium.

O-This is a good IPA, and I would drink it again, but I won't go seeking it out. I wonder if my bottle was older and/or had lost a little of its hoppiness, because I got a fair amount of caramel? Anyway, the looks and feel are pretty solid, and with a bit more complexity in the hops, I think this would make for a world-class IPA. As it was, however, I give it merely above-average.

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz can poured into an IPA glass. Checked bottles and cans at place of purchase and none had any sort of date, so I am not sure if the beer is fresh or not. Bad marketing practice...

A - Poured a 3 finger billowy head. Would likely have been less head if it hadn't come from a can. Lot of carbonation.

S - Pine and citrus. Not very fragrant.

T- Somewhat muddled. Detected hints of pine and citrus, with bready malts, but not very strong.

M - Slightly syrupy.

O - Nothing exciting here... wasn't unpleasant, but nothing remarkable. I would not recommend this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Clear amber with one finger of cream head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is not the high point of this beer nothing bad just not big. Some light floral scent with a pinch of pine and a little dough.
Taste is big earthy resinous hops with a bigger than average malt bill. The hops are about as bitter (due to the pine resin effect) as I can take and still taste some grapefruit. The malts keep up with the bitter somewhat and make the hop hammer easier to take. Really big IPA.
Mouthfeel is medium to full with enough carbonation. The malts keep it from a bone dry finish.
Overall a pretty memorable IPA. Very tasty indeed. Try the canned version. It holds the flavors much better than the bottled version.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up on the way home from work...let's dive in!

Poured from a bomber into a standard snifter.

A: I usually don't give appearance too much of a bother, as some of the best beers are the ugliest...BUT, Hop Ottin' is a great looking beer. A brilliant crystal copper color. Tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving good lace on the glass.

S: Grapefruit, caramel, pine, some florals. A balanced nose that's not overly fruit centric.

T: Extremely balanced. The caramel malt entwines nicely with the piney resinous hops. Again, grapefruit citrus with a sweet backing makes this beer very feng shui.

M: Crisp, deep, nothing short of 'awesome.'

O: Sometimes it's hard to describe exactly why some IPAs are so well balanced over others. Hop Ottin' is one of these. It is a picture of piney, evergreen goodness, laid upon a base of warm caramel malt. I will certainly look for this in the future when I need a hop fix, but don't want my head to explode. Great beer!

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Clear copper with a huge creamy white head that sticks to the glass, super fine carbonation.

Grainy malts,some grapefruit peel,sweetness in the nose is dominant.

Fusion of dank citrus fruits and toffee,starts out with a sweetness counteracted by a some bitterness in the finish. A bit higher in the grainy malt department, just like the aroma.

Medium mouthfeel,slightly chewy & syrupy.

Not the bitter grapefruit shock I was bracing for but an enjoyable IPA worth trying, crisper dryer finish and more citrus aroma would help.Malt is huge here.

4.12/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

transparent red sap color, a little bit of rising carbonation
S: the smell is just beautiful. delicately sweet, fruity, hopiness and slightly floral and a hair smokey
T: I don't think I perceive bitterness as strongly as other people, but this one I find to be fairly bitter. The bitterness is fairly dominant, especially in the 2nd half. earthy, piney but dark. It's quite good but nothing really like the smell. sort of the dark side counterpart to the smell. but there's also a sort of smokey whiskeyness to it. alchohol is present but not in an unpleasant way
M: Medium bodied, slight sting.
O: This is a good beer, a bit dark, heavy and bitter for my taste, making it a bit too intense for me, but it's good.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is pretty good, fair representation of its style. It smells better than it taste. Nicely carbonated. The taste is confusing. Starts with a nice grapefruit and pine note, but comes with way to much yeasty bread finish. I like my ipa crisp and clean from start to finish. Not crazy about this. Reminds me of good people's snake handler.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Fairly clear caramel color. Foamy tan head that takes a while to recede and nice foamy lacing stays on the glass.

Aroma: A nice blend of caramel malt and sprucy pine hops.

Taste: Well balanced starting with sweet malts. A tangy fruitiness comes in before giving way to bitter citrus. Nice balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: A pretty decent beer, the 7% ABV is pretty undetectable. Another good job from AV.

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Re review! Noticed this was one of my higher rated IPA's but it was also one of my first to rate. Let's see how it stacks up.

A: Pours a transparent amber. Two fingers khaki head. Very rocky indeed. Lacing is stellar. Vigorous carbonation in the body.

S: Fairly deep resinous hops come outta this one. Citrus and grapefruit are present, but aren't the majority of the hops show. More "outdoorsy", with notes of pine, evergreen and herbaceousness. Malt layers are grainy and slightly roasted in nature. Less caramel and more toffee.

T: Quit shot of roasted amber malt and it's overtaken by evergreen and earthy hops. Notes of pine, herbaceousness (no weed this time) and an underlying shot of grapefruit and other citrus (bottle says orange, don't get that) intermingled with some floral bitterness. Finish is fairly crisp and very dry. Aftertaste of citrus and resin.

M: Medium bodied. Halfway between Torpedo and Stone IPA. Very balanced.

O: This holds up much, much better than I expected it to. Less fruit driven and more pine/floral/herbal. Very good beer and a steal at 8 bucks a sixer. (Thanks, Vons!)

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

appearance has a hazy amber orange color supporting a thick pillowy head leaving a curtain of lace. Smell is piney, citrus grapefruit with the sweetness of the malt. Taste of the resin and grapefruit bitter balanced by the malt. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can. Orange, almost amber with thick, fluffy, off white head; though not much lace. Smell is wonderful once you crack open the can, but dies down once it's poured, a bit disappointing for a Cali IPA. A great tasting IPA at 7%! This one awakens the tastebuds, as sticky hops glaze the palate! Overall, worth a grab. A bit pricey, but available in a can, which I tend to give bonus points for that convenience!

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into an oversized pint glass.

Pours a copper brown amber, with thick off white head that sticks around, and leaves some crusty lacing.

Smell is subdued, pine and citrus with a decent malt presence as well.

Taste is similar but much more intense. It's well balanced, resinous, piney with citric juice all backed up and balanced by mealtimes.

Feel is not smooth, but typical of an IPA. Drinkable, and could prob have several of these.

Overall this is a complex IPA that's not my favorite, but I'm glad ie come back to. Cheers.

4.53/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: deep copper. Slightly foamy lacing. More bubbles than I expected.

S: hops hit you quick. Piney and citrus, but not too overwhelming. Smooth, earthy.

T: earthy, almost creamy, like many of their offerings. Hops hide for a quick second, but then crash onto your tongue. They sneak up on you. A little breadier than I expected, with almost a tea like consistent flavor to the background. Citrus finish.

M: heavy. Chewy. There is a lot going on here

O: epic beer. Heavy malt and hop combo balance each other out nicely. Big beer that can easier be quaffed as well as sipped. Excellent through and through.

3.72/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Hazy amber with light tan head of about 3 fingers. Not much lacing, but solid retention. A hearty looking IPA here.

S- Nice pine and citrus. Aroma goes back and forth from pungent to subtle. Big grapefruit that is synonymous with the "C" hops. Some earthy notes. Caramelized buttered biscuits.

T- Wouldn't say this one follows the nose all that well, but not necessarily a bad thing. Pine dominates upfront with a hint of not quite ripe fruits. Malt base breaks through shortly after with a touch of the breads I smelled. Huge bitterness comes hard at the end, bordering on acidic. Not the most balanced beer ever, but it does a nice job of putting the hops front and center.

M- Mid body bordering on full. Nice carbonation. Not super drinkable for the style. Almost chewy. Surprisingly, its not that dry given the bitterness level.

O- This is a nice, enjoyable beer that I don't drink often. A change of pace IPA if you will. I personally won't pursue it again, but I would recommend giving it a shot.

DFH IPA glass
$10.49 for a 6 pk of cans

3.4/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint, in Valhalla, New York on 18 Jan 2013.

Light amber towards golden in colour: small white foaming head.

This is one of those 'over-hopped' IPA's that the US West Coast brewers seem to like to produce. I quite enjoy them because we don't see the style in the UK very often.

Citrus and spicy hop notes rule the nose and taste, the malts undetectable by me. Bitter and with a dry finish, you know it's coming but it is still a shock after each sip or gulp.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thick foamy and frothy the head set proudly atop a rich coppery color.

The aromas are set nicely, albeit a tad lightly. Malt and hops with touches of pine, rose, and tea leaves.

Amongst the more well balanced versions of the IPA varieties, this is not hop forward. Instead the mixture of rich grainy malt blends with piney floral hops and are balanced so that neither overshadows the other. Great taste and easy feel make this a triumph for Anderson Valley.

3.84/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Very clear, light amber color. Big bubbles on the head. No lacing or alcohol legs really. Looks nice.

S: Some bbq sauce-like malt, some hop astringency. I can hardly smell it.

t: That bbq-sauce malt backbone up front, very light bitterness and a nice juicy hop flavor on the back end.

m: lightly carbonated.

Probably not too fresh, but still well made.

3.94/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Golden in color with a fluffy white head. Sweet malt dominate the nose and taste. This might not be the freshest. There's a slightly boozy, sweet, sugary malt and hop balance. This tastes more like a DIPA to me. I've had this in the past and I remember it being better. I'll give it another chance in the future.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Very nice looking, lightly coppery and clear with a very nice two finger head that lasted and left sheets of thick, sticky lacing down all sides of the glass.

Aroma is nice and hoppy, but there's a nearly equal aroma from the malt base. Some caramel malt makes it way through, then earthy hops.

The taste is also pretty well balanced, but slightly skewed towards the hops. I like the malt base, it's flavorful and the body is pretty full, but it doesn't overpower the hops. Plenty of hops flavors assault your tongue when you drink this, I get an earthy hops presence first, then some citrus and pine.

Drinkability is high, as this one goes down pretty easy despite the medium body and strong hop bitterness finish.

They did a good job on this beer. I will have to try more beers from this brewer.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Aroma – Fairly strong malt aroma for an IPA but it is pleasant, it reminds of caramel malt with maybe just a touch of chocolate. Hop aroma is moderate and has a mint and grapefruit character. As the beer warms the most dominating aroma is the grapefruit hop.

Appearance – Nice copper/redish color which pours a thick off white head. Beer is almost clear but does have a slight haze while looking through it. The head remains throughout the drinking experience and produces some very nice lacing on the sides of the pint glass.

Flavor –The balance of this beer is very nice in the beginning of the taste. There is good hop and malt character but the beer is definitely balanced on the hop side. Towards the end of the taste, the flavor is dominated by the hops and leaves a bit of a hop bite on the tongue. The malt flavor is present but not very distinguishable behind the hops; I cannot pick out the caramel or chocolate flavors that I found in the aroma. There are no detectable fermentation flaws or issues and I cannot taste any yeast contributions to the beer.

Mouthfeel – The beer is medium-light and goes down smooth. It does have a touch of astringency which may be caused by the hop bitterness. Moderate carbonation. Has the bitter hopped aftertaste that is synonymous of an IPA

Overall – This is a nicely done IPA that can be enjoyed year round. It is aggressively hopped and I would have liked to have sensed some alcohol warmness to go with the strong hop bitterness so an increased grain bill would be nice but I wouldn’t want to mess with the balance and body of the beer which was done very nicely. I would also imagine that this would be better as a fresh beer to really present the hop aromas and flavor on the same level that the bitterness is present

4.57/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass. No expiration date found on the bottle or 6pack case. Pours a dark brown with a huge head, about two finger. Beautiful looking beer. Smells of floral hops, sweet malts and I get a big waft of caramel. Taste is not your average hoppy IPA. I get huge amounts of caramel, dominated the whole mouthfeel and pallet. Mild carbonation and drowned out hoppy aftertaste. This brew is so amazingly drinkable and sweet. Such a great take on an IPA. I could almost session this beer it's so drinkable. ABV is well hidden. Overall, I'm extremely impressed. This shoots close to the top of my IPA list. I see mixed reviews but I find it hard to believe. The bros hit it on the head, it's world class in my opinion.

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a DFH IPA glass.

A: Huge head is creamy and tannish. Great retention with sticky lacing. Clearish amber ale.

S: Moderately malty. Not much hop presence. Slightly herbal/spicy.

T/M: Smooth, pleasant, and rather unobjectionable. Slightly lemony aftertaste. Robust, creamy mouthfeel.

O: Unobjectionable, but pretty average. Better than the usual beers, but not great as an IPA.

3.81/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was disappointed with this selection at the Jamison pour house.
It was very fragrant with fresh hops
Looked okay but alittle flat and the taste had a cloying bite that was a turn off. Not much in way of hops. Malty with a slight toasted taste.
I don't think it was a tap issue perhaps just old.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can my Girlfriend brought back from a recent trip to Winnipeg. Who knew they got this!

A - Pours a hop hazed dark golden colour. Good carbonation. Two finger fluffy, off white head. Head is nice, thick, and pillowy. Good finger of retention with good rings of lace too.

S - Great aroma. Lot's of pine. Touch of caramel. Prickly citrus.

T - Sweet caramel up front. Lot's more pine again like the aroma. Sweet tropical fruits. Ctirussy and aggressive.

M - Good, strong carbonation. Medium body, good bitterness.

O/D - A pretty solid IPA. Really classic American take on the style. Really drinkable too.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company