Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,916 | Reviews: 1,210
2.94/5  rDev -26.3%

Reviewed 12/22/2008 (Tap @ Yardhouse, Glendale, AZ):

Pours a filtered clear amber brown color body. Very creamy white head, big and lasting. Somewhat nutty bitter aroma, some grapefruitiness. Some strawberries. Bitter dry taste Watery palate. Not a harsh aftertaste. Mostly bitterness. Pretty balanced. Sweeter taste as it warms up.

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Attractive golden amber color and nice carbonation. Hops are just overwhelming on the thin body. Harsh and medicinal aftertaste. Nose of perfumey hops is the only outstanding feature. Quite flowery aroma.

There are so many interesting and complex IPAs that are full of the many flavors of hops. This one is just one dimensional. Utterly bitter. Stick the long neck in your mouth and pull the trigger.

2.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a deep amber/orange with a decent white head on top. This retained well as it hung around almost the entire time. Decent spotty lacing. No prominent rings sticking though. Smelled of tart citrus and floral hops. Some malt in the background as well.

This is an incredibly spicy and bitter IPA. Balance is non-existent. I crave bitterness in my IPA's, but I also appreciate balance. This is peppery and bitter. I can't place any citrus or piney backbone, just harsh scalding bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp and firm. Decent. I really couldn't drink more than one of these as my palate is torched. There's definitely better, more balanced West Coast IPA's out there.

2.97/5  rDev -25.6%

A- Pale with a red-ish/amber hue. This beer poured crystal clear with the fluffiest of off-white head, which laced down the glass in a very pleasing way.

S- A little piney, not a lot of aroma here.

T- Typical West Coast hop notes of grapefruit lead into delicate honey and maple flavors. Not a very complex beer but perhaps I'm missing something.

M- Slightly astringent, but effervescent enough to quell it before it becomes an issue. This leads to a perception of imbalance, but give it time (a moment, a moment or two) and you'll be pleased with the sweet profile that follows.

D- This beer is not stellar example, but I would happily drink a few with friends on a brisk Autumn day in Anderson Valley. A good sesh IPA that is worth a pint or two.

* I would note the previous review to mine. I had one the other night and remember being far more impressed than I am tonight. This may be due, in part, to inconsistent packaging procedures./???

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Self-identifies as an India Pale Ale. 7% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz purple aluminum can with no visible best before date served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired earlier tonight. Expectations are very high given its current ratings and the brewery - whose oatmeal stout I quite like.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with chili pepper spinach.

A: Pours a five finger light khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, decent frothiness, decent looking texture (not horribly soft, but not off-putting), and good (~5+ minute) retention for the relatively high ABV. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a fairly vibrant palish copper; translucent and transparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exactly what you'd expect an IPA to look like, but the head retention is a highlight. I don't notice any overt flaws. Standard fare, but right on the money for the style. Looking forward to trying it. Not real creamy looking.

Sm: Pleasant and diverse floral hop character is prominent, resting on a pale malt base. Lilac and other distinct flowery notes. It's a mild strength aroma. Clean and fragrant. Otherwise, I don't get other types of hop character; maybe some light grapefruit citrus esters. Some caramalt in the base. Light tropical hop notes; pineapple may be the only distinct one I can identify. An appealing aroma for the style with some interesting hop choices. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. It's not coming off exceptional, so my expectations are for it to be good but not great at this point. I'm hoping it proves me wrong...

T: Hm. It's not your typical IPA build - especially for the emergent "West Coast IPA" style trend. Perfumey floral hop notes with plenty of tropical notes - pinapple and perhaps passionfruit among them - and a palpable half-hidden hop bitterness on the climax accompanied by a light twinge of grapefruit esters. Foundation is pale malts and a surprisingly high caramel (malt) bill. Very vague light pine buried in there, too. Sweet up front giving in to a bitter metallic taste in the third act which stays with you on the finish; that's its only major flaw. Consequently, the balance - both structurally and in terms of flavour - is far from ideal. I do find the build interesting and - dareisay - unique, but this requires serious tuning to be a truly great brew. I do like it in a general sense. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: I'd like it more oily to accompany the noncommital pine. Smooth and wet for the majority of the structure - except for some dryness and coarseness in the third act. Okay thickness; it thins way too much in the late second act. On the harder end of water hardness. Certainly not soft on the palate. A biteen overcarbonated, but not biting or sharp. A bit rubbery and inconsistent; it's not an even texture by any means. Not as creamy as I'd like, except right on the climax - but the hop bitterness is too distracting at that point for it to be pleasant. A messy mouthfeel that doesn't suit the flavour profile except incidentally.

Dr: A bit boggled by the high ratings for this beer currently. As much as I like a lot of the brewery's other work, this just isn't an impressive IPA - especially for those of us who value balance in an IPA. I like and respect that it tries to do something different in the style; its choices in terms of hops and flavour is pretty unique. It just doesn't come off like it should. Drinkable but not worth picking up again. I'd like to revisit this on-draught; the metallic off-flavour really kills this one for me.

C

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

A: appears a slightly cloudy orangeish amber with a bright white and sticky head, heavy lacing

S: pine needles and earthy hops dominate the aroma with some underlying caramel malt character

T: the front starts out with a touch of malty sweetness and quickly become spicy and bitter from the piney hop character. The finish is a bit sharp. I'm not really digging the hop profile on this. Detectable booziness on the finish.

MF: high carbonation...maybe too high, medium body

D: not a bad brew, but with so many superior IPAs out there, I don't see my self drinking this one again.

2.98/5  rDev -25.3%

Solar powered beer? Isn't everything solar powered when you get down to it? Except for geothermal vents. Anyways.

Nice bottle. Looks nature-y. Poured into a pint glass. Ruddy dark tang, some vibrant orange hints, and a dense tan head that floats and gradually fades to nice lacing.

Nose is strong west coast hops. One-note but nice.

Taste is bitter hops that are musty and grainy. Kind of a big clash of hops and malts, with no clear winner and a lot of confusion. Not subtle. Slight paint thinner / alcohol dry aftertaste. Not a good thing, but not horrific. Decent mouthfeel.

2.99/5  rDev -25.1%

My first review!

Having spent the last couple of months working my way through the hop monsters available in my area, I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately I was not impressed.

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. Looked to have been on the shelf for some time as evidenced by a good layer of dust. Poured into a 12 oz tulip/goblet hybrid glass.

A- Looked good, nice medium red, a little cloudier than I've seen in other offerings. Reasonable head after aggresssive pour that didn't last long.

S- Nice at first, citrus and hoppy but turned slighty musty (malty?) after a few minutes in the glass

T- The first sip was pleasant, even very good. I had a couple of my first HopDevils the night before and thought I was on the same track. After a few sips however, a distinctly musty character presented itself. I thought to blame in on the sharp cheddar I had just had and even went so far as to rinse my mouth out with distilled water and try again, but it would not go away.

M- Spread across the palate in a big way. Didn't seem as strong as the 7% indicated.

D- Not good. Had to force my way through a second bottle which I opened to be sure the first wasn't a bad example.

I guess I may be spoiled by my earlier experiences with Alpha King, HopDevil and my new found obsession with DFH 90 minute, but I would not drink this one again. The remaining four bottles will go to future guests.

2.99/5  rDev -25.1%

A - Pours a clear amber with a 1 finger off-white head that takes it's time sinking. Thick sheets of lacing. Very good looking beer.

S - Floral hops, hints of grapefruit rind, yeasty, toasted malt.

T - Lots of floral and herbal bitterness right away. The hops have a salty wood character and are very dry. Faint notes of malt struggle to come out. The bitterness turns to grapefruit towards the end. Finishes crisp and dry.

M - Medium body and good amount of carbonation.

The herbal hops provide plenty of bitterness but little flavor. The malt is barely there and is crushed by the hops. Pretty unbalanced. If this had more flavor I would have rated it higher.

A decent IPA, definitely not a favorite. One of the few times I've been uninspired to finish a 6-pack, and let it sit in the fridge for a bit instead. Good mouthfeel, decent smell, but the taste was just not right for me. The hops didn't kick my ass, and if that ain't happenin I'd at least like some balance and drinkability. Alas, I found little to get excited about here. Can't recommend when there are so many better IPAs on the market.

12oz. can served into a pint glass

Pours a light amber color with school-bus yellow undertones. Less than one finger of eggshell head forms, large-bubbled and not very lacy.

Hop Ottin' is a very straightforward IPA. You've got some resiny smells, some pine, and some Mandarin orange. That's all the complexity that this beer's hop profile can muster. A greater-than-expected malt presence gives off lots of crystal malt aromas. It's not bad -- I wouldn't throw rocks at it -- but it's just boring compared to a lot of this beer's competition on the shelf.

Hop Ottin' tastes pretty much as it smells: competent but a bit blase. Caramelly crystal malts, bitter pine hop flavors. Some oily resin flavor, light orange. Some people would call this a balanced beer given all of the malt flavor. I disagree. I think this beer is slightly imbalanced towards the malty side. Lots of malt flavor (for the style) and a lot of bitterness, but less true lupulin flavor than desired. It's not a bad drink, it's just an average IPA.

You'd expect this beer, given my description of its maltiness, to have a medium-full body for the style. You'd be right. It's not offensive to me, but it isn't preferable. Overall, this is a pretty average IPA. If you like malty IPAs then this is a good option for you, especially being packaged in cans. Hopheads can do better, however.

Poured from a bottle into an Iron City 12oz glass.

A. Nice orangish amber in appearance with a nice foammy head, little to no lacing as I drink.

S. heavy bread smell to it, quite nice. I pick up very little hop flower smell. After my forth smell I still smell fresh dough.

T. Quite disappointed hear. I was hoping for more. Nice taste as you swallow but the after taste is like having a big bite of pineneedles. Not my favorite IPA. By far not the worst.

D. For me one is enough. But I do see where others would like this beer better than myself.

Pours a soft amber color with an off-white head that leaves behind very nice, extensive lacing. Aromas of hops, citrus, and grapefruit come out. The taste is rather astringent with poorly mixed flavors. The hop bitterness is clearly present, but it seems to fight the sweetness also present. A very uncomfortable aftertaste develops that leaves my mouth overly dry and soap-like. I didn't want to finish my pint, nor would I want another one of these.

Pours amber with a dirty white head. Aroma of herbal tea with some lemon and pine. A little toastiness underneath from the malt. Flavor follows suit. Medium bodied with some activity. Overall, boring IPA though well crafted. Wouldn't refuse a bottle, but will not seek it out again. Pass.

Bygg hgfgh huyg hhh jjhgg

A - Strong head and amber color

S - For an IPA, it really didn't jump out at me. Nice sweet malted barley smell with a slight balance of grapefruit hops.

T - Taste was underwhelming. A litte to bitter and a little sweet.

M - Good amount of carbonation

D - Little too bitter, can't drink too much of these.

Would I drink it again? No
Would I recommend it? No
Would I drink it at a party? No
Did my wife like it? "Tastes like a cigar. No and no."

Overall: For a IPA, the best part is the smell and the smell wasn't great. Also, the taste was too bitter to be enjoyed. Eh.

3.02/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Amber color with a huge orangey, frothy head that leaves crusty peaks like meringue as it dissipates. Aroma is of hop, citrus, and pine. The taste is a quick hops kick, plus a sharp lemon flavor, reminiscent of Pledge. Crisp and creamy mouthfeel, and here comes that Pledge again. Sharp lemon flavor stabs at the back of the throat. The hops is overpowered by the lemon. Better for polishing furniture than for drinking.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a clear amber with clear, ringing orange highlights. There is only a low, foamy head. Decent lacing follows down the side of the glass. Not bad, but could be much better.

Smell is of mango, booze, tangerine. Not as pungent as I'd like.

Taste is overwhelmingly of booze. Harsh hops kick in about halfway with a harsh, metallic bite. There's only bitterness here, no hop flavor -- and this from a fan of Ruination. Where is the pine? Where is the tropical fruit, the citrus? The only respite is a little bit of honeyed sweetness mid-sip, but it's a short, brief respite. Not impressive. Too much booze, sloppily organized hops. Proof that great beer needs organization -- and it's sadly lacking here.

Mouthfeel is fine, more seafoam and what have you.

Overall, this is a pretty underwhelming beer. Considering how much I liked their Poleeko Gold Pale Ale, it's an especially surprising result. Hops, booze, and chaos. I'd call it a double IPA, but even then, it's not a graceful one. Not a fan.

3.03/5  rDev -24.1%

The beer has nice clarity for an IPA. Nice copper color. Medium head that sticks around. Very nice herbal hop tones in the aroma. There's a pungency in the taste that I don't like and don't think is appropriate. Medium to full bodied with a solid malt backing. I think this is a pretty average IPA. I've never been blown away by an IPA from AV.

3.04/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a pint glass clear amber with a fluffy, white head. The nose is very flowery pine notes with some slight astringent smell I can't describe any better..
There wasn't much front-end flavor, just the piney taste of hops. Seems like the malt took a holiday. The finish was fairly strong and lingering with bitter pineyness.
I don't want to use the word 'slimy' to describe the feel, but it was kind of like that. Slight tingle of carbonation on the tongue. Not unpleasant but less than expected.
With the pretty pour and flowery smell, I was hoping for some complex flavors and crispness, but was left a little disappointed. That said, this is not a bad IPA. Don't let the can fool you.

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

It was Justice Brandeis who famously opined that “sunlight is the best disinfectant.” I’m afraid, at least for this solar-powered brewery, that he is altogether right.

STYLE: American IPA

ABV: 7%

LOOK: Finally. A nice creamy head with peaks and valleys and bubbles and air pockets. It isn’t going anywhere. I like it. The color, a gorgeous amber.

NOSE: Lightly buttered herbs, grapefruit, sour milk. My pre-buzz is beginning to wane.

MOUTH: It was Jimmy McNulty who famously opined “I had such fucking high hopes for us.” The perfect rugged look, the 90 BA rating, the fucking 100 from the Alström brothers. For what? It’s not terrible, no, but that shouldn’t ever be the standard — not for craft beer. Trenchantly bitter on the lips, a touch of fruit and nice body simply cannot compensate. The finish is nicer though not altogether smooth.

BA Rating: 90

Hayward Abbey Rating: 76

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had this out of a can so not sure if that made a difference. Pours a bright amber, smelled great felt excellent. Tones of vanilla, maybe a lil smoke. Yummy

3.06/5  rDev -23.3%

On tap, dark orange color, chill haze, thin white head. Smells like a cousin of Big Foot, strong malt balance with loads of citrus. The taste is likewise almost barley-wine like. The caramel malts are strong with this one, too strong. Some bitterness in the aftertaste but overall too sweet for my preference in this style. Reasonable carbonation, mouthfeel was OK, but the flavors were not a win for me.

3.07/5  rDev -23.1%

Chestnut. Suprisingly subtle floral hop aroma with a touch of pine cones and malty sweetness. I have a feeling that this is an older bottle mainly because the hop presence I was expecting just wasn’t there. Still though, the malt is still fairly effective as the lead. Notes of honey and caramel overpower the hop flavor and bitterness.

3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours a dark, hazy copper. Plenty of head and lacing down the glass. Nose doesn't speak of the usual IPA hoppiness. The smell is more malty/musty than anything else. No floral or citrus notes despite what the back of the bottle says. The taste is very nutty and bitter without any of the floral notes or citrus that make American IPA's so much fun. The mouthfeel is OK and the drinkability is low for me: too harsh without any acidity that makes me thirsty for more. This one is not for me, but all tastes are subjective.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company