Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
4.59/5  rDev +14.8%

4.24/5  rDev +6%

4.28/5  rDev +7%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

4.96/5  rDev +24%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

The hop-malt balance that the kids dream about. Love it

4.2/5  rDev +5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.64/5  rDev +16%

4.6/5  rDev +15%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

I went out and tried all of the Alstom Bros 100 rated American IPA's I could find. I live in Lexington KY so I do not have access to many, but I do travel and have tried beers from all over the country. In my latest taste test I decided to pit several of the 100 point Alstom Bros American IPA's against each other. The candidates: Anderson Hop Ottin', Smuttynose, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Victory Hop Devil, Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point.

I have had Sculpin and the Hop Devil on tap in their local region before and I love them both. Out of the bottle the Sculpin holds up, but time and time again I am disappointed in Hop Devil. It was good, but far far from 100 point rating. That is a head scratcher.

Now for Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. As someone who moved to the Bluegrass from California i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess this brewery and me are not on the same page. This was decent, but far from perfect. I had the good fortune to have a Zombie Dust recently and that is perfect. That the Alstrom Bros rated this beer better than Zombie Dust makes me question every review they conduct. It poured a carmel color, with a nice head. The hop character did not remind me of typical west coast IPA's like Sculpin, Stone, or Sierra. It was malty, had a depressed hop presence, and while tasty, it did not live up to the hype by any shape, way or form. Quite frankly, it was mediocre. Kind of like having someone tell you how great a movie is but you end up bummed out.

My favorite hoppy American pales or IPA's to date:
1) Zombie Dust
2) Flower Power
3) Sculpin
4) Firestone
5) Ninkasi Total Domination
6) Sierra Celebration
7) Victory Hop Devil (on tap, not bottle)
8) Lagunitas