Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Avg: 4
pDev: 12%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,199 | Hads: 2,987
3.83/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12 fluid ounce can, poured into La Chouffe tulip.

A: Golden, slightly hazy, medium sized rocky head, with a slight tan, moderate retention.

S: West coast hops and citrus fruits, slight cocoa.

T: Started out with some strawberry like sweetness, this was quickly countered by grapefruit, which then lent bitterness that lingered, also had some burnt malt and gummi bears.

M: Light body, crisp, moderate carbonation.

O: Can’t really add to what has been said, well made, balanced but one of a croud.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I love IPA's and has got to be one of the best.... Love the taste. Has that IPA taste but lacks that harsh taste that a lot have.. Wish it came to New Mexico!

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

I went out and tried all of the Alstom Bros 100 rated American IPA's I could find. I live in Lexington KY so I do not have access to many, but I do travel and have tried beers from all over the country. In my latest taste test I decided to pit several of the 100 point Alstom Bros American IPA's against each other. The candidates: Anderson Hop Ottin', Smuttynose, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Victory Hop Devil, Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point.

I have had Sculpin and the Hop Devil on tap in their local region before and I love them both. Out of the bottle the Sculpin holds up, but time and time again I am disappointed in Hop Devil. It was good, but far far from 100 point rating. That is a head scratcher.

Now for Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin'. As someone who moved to the Bluegrass from California i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess this brewery and me are not on the same page. This was decent, but far from perfect. I had the good fortune to have a Zombie Dust recently and that is perfect. That the Alstrom Bros rated this beer better than Zombie Dust makes me question every review they conduct. It poured a carmel color, with a nice head. The hop character did not remind me of typical west coast IPA's like Sculpin, Stone, or Sierra. It was malty, had a depressed hop presence, and while tasty, it did not live up to the hype by any shape, way or form. Quite frankly, it was mediocre. Kind of like having someone tell you how great a movie is but you end up bummed out.

My favorite hoppy American pales or IPA's to date:
1) Zombie Dust
2) Flower Power
3) Sculpin
4) Firestone
5) Ninkasi Total Domination
6) Sierra Celebration
7) Victory Hop Devil (on tap, not bottle)
8) Lagunitas

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 06.01.14.

A: 2 finger white head. See through amber body.

S: Burnt sugar, brown sugar, and grapefruit.

T: Brown sugar, spices, and sweet malt dominate. Pine is subtle.

M: Creamy and chewy.

O: This was more like an amber with a bittersweet back end. I don't care much for malt forward IPAs, but this one was good.

Rating: B-

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Brilliant deep copper, frothy cream head. Bready, caramel malt, and muted grapefruit form the initial aroma. There's a touch of nectarines, along with resin. Flavor reveals fruity hop notes reminiscent of sweet tarts, a fairly sweet caramel malt base, and a bitter finish. I like the fruity hop profile, but the bitterness is more than I prefer.

4.39/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper with a big and very persistent head. Lots of lacing on the side of the glass. Smell is big citrusy grapefruit hops. Taste is mellow toasty carmel malt upfront. A little underlying malt sweetness throughout. Finishes with an herbal hop bitterness. Heavy creamy mouthfeel. This is a very rich tasting IPA. And by that I mean it has a fantastic maltiness behind the hops and even challenging the hops for center stage here. Also the heavy mouthfeel. Maybe the drinkability suffers a bit, but this is a great, and unique, IPA.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

overall a good beer. This IPA seemed to have a little more sweetness than most but overall it seemed to balance out quite well. I like the way high IBUS but was pleased with this one also. Just a touch of creaminess added to the balance. Overall happy with this one. After reading other reviews, I was kind of mixed about trying, but once I did, I was glad I did...

3.84/5  rDev -4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. I've had a ton of Hop Ottin' over the years; I can't imagine why it's taken me so long to review.

Appearance: orange-brown hue with a bit of a haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is two fingers of frothy ivory foam with a nice lace on the glass. I think it's pretty damn good-looking.

Smell: caramel malt with a very floral hop character. There's also a touch of citrus in there which is quite nice.

Taste: sweet, caramelly malt with a big, floral hop character. Bitterness is moderate and relatively balanced. If you like sweet IPAs, this one could be for you.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a big carbonation and an amazing creaminess for an IPA. Bam!

Overall: this is a very good IPA, although its flavor profile definitely favors the floral, soapy, caramelly end of the spectrum. Drinkable and refreshing, I do like to have a few of these on occasion.

3.56/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Another brewery I missed a lot of reviews for some reason, this shouldn't be too old despite the lack of date.

Pours a nice creamy fluffy 1 finger head with some bubbles popping in the middle as it fades at a slow pace, nice lacing all over too, nice rosy amber red color, hazy.

Nose lots of candy malts, syrupy sweet caramel, little toffee, etc, candied orange peel, little citrus zest, fruity hops, hint of pineapple and citrus, etc, hint of booze wafting out. Aroma of an aged IPA unfortunately.

Taste brings a bit more sweetness, candy malts, syrupy, caramel, toffee, etc, with a little candied orange peel, little zest, some citrus and hint of pineapple, not really tropical fruit though, bit of warming booze. Again that aged hop IPA note. Finish is a bit sweet and candy like, fair bitterness, little toffee and caramel, little pineapple and bitter orange peel, etc.

Mouth is med bod, bit of warming booze, decent carb but not great.

Overall OK, but seems like it is aged a bit, not a great IPA at least this day and age, more like a muted aged IPA with flashes of what could have been good. Lots more malty, lighter on the hops, etc. I'll have to try this again if I can find it fresh, but with no date on the bottle it'll be hard. Maybe if I ever find a draft version.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz can, Julian date stamped 14085
L - amber colored ale with a tall, frothy, rocky ivory head that leaves chunky lacing on the glass
S - bready malt, caramel, toasted grain, earth, pine
T - bread, caramel, toasted grain with a nice dose of bitter piny, earthy hops
F - fuller body, finishes moderately bitter and semi-dry
O - nice classic tasting American IPA with a bold malt backbone coupled with some hefty bitterness but is still very well balanced. I like coming back to this one every once in awhile. It's far from being a favorite of mine, but it's a solid IPA.

4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown, with a large, somewhat dense and persistent tan head. The lacing is fine and scattered, the carbonation profuse and slow-rising.

Aroma: Massive notes of caramel overlaid with abundant grassy and pine hops.

Taste: Opens with substantial citric and pine hops. Some of the citric hops have a grapefruit character, others are more like sweet oranges, with a good measure of the pine hops as well. These, as expected for the style, are quite prominent throughout the taste. The malt, though secondary to the hops, offers a solid backbone of sweet caramel, and is a significant presence throughout the taste. Finishes with a long, lingering note of grassy and pine hops, the citric hop flavors having faded away.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, very full, with little carbonation noted.

Drinkability/notes: Wonderfully complex and satisfying, a very well-crafted example of a style which is not a particular favorite of mine. Nonetheless, Hop Ottin' IPA is hard not to like.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle, sealed with a pry-off crown. Served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager sensory glass.

First off the bottle Is beautiful I love the art. Along with other Anderson valley beers. This particular brew is absolutely perfect and is hands down one of the best out there. Have had in both bottle and glass. Taste great high flavorful hops. Not your average citrus brew, though It still has flavorful of citrus, it also has a high range of nuts brewed and you can definitely taste. Overall this brew from Anderson valley is perfect and its really not available as much as I thought it would be as a la resident. So get your hands on a bottle

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Impressive head gives way to nice lacing throughout the drinking, nice amber/copper color with minimal visible effervescence.

S- Pleasant sweet citrus notes, at first I was thinking bready but perhaps my nose was misguided.

T- I am trying to let this warm up a little but the first impression is this is an imminently drinkable full-flavored ale. Well balanced bitterness and sweetness.

M- This is a real palate pleaser, it's smooth and prompts another sip before long. (Hopefully not before it warms up enough for me to taste additional nuance)

O- I enjoyed this IPA and would certainly pick up another 6 pack of cans, it was a nice change of pace from the lighter colored IPAs.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured in a Spiegelgau glass: 4F head which quickly resolved itself.
Light copper color- an attractive beer.

The aroma was not strong- light grapefruit and other citrus.

Mouth feel: quite smooth for an IPA, not well-carbonated, and transitioning well to the taste.

The taste was different at warmer and colder temps.
Colder temps- more grapefruit, malty, and a hoppy finish with some bitterness.
Warmer temps- less citrus, less bitter, and a cherry-like fruit taste. I preferred the beer at slightly warmer temps.

Overall: quite distinctive. The beer is different than other IPAs: there is a cherry/citrus taste, the MF is smoother, and the finish is more even- not overly bitter.
Worth checking out.

4.58/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I flew into San Jose, drove to Whole Foods and bought this 6 pack on the way to the hotel. Coming from Seattle what a pleasant surprise! Buy the Bear! Share it with your friends, this beer is fun, perfect for Palo Alto! The only proven is I am sure you can't get it in Texas

4.55/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a caramel gold with light foaming.

There’s a wonderfully subdued orange-citrus hop aroma, with a hint of piney spice.

The flavor comes off as enough of a west coast IPA for the hop addict, with enough malt backing to balance it out. Delicious.

3.88/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured bottle into New Belgium globe

A-Pours clear amber with an one finger white head. Ok lacing.

S-Aroma is hoppy and caramel.

T-Nice flavors that are malt, huge pine, citrus and a hint of burnt caramel.

M-Mouthfeel is well balanced with a long bitter finish.

O-Overall a decent IPA

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this brew poured into a 12oz bar glass.

It pours a nice copper color. It is relatively clear with a very thin head.
The smell is not impressive at all as it has very little in the way of hop aroma, but you can definitely pick up on the malt body.
The taste is what you would expect of a good IPA. There is a nice hop bitterness at first, followed by a nice smooth malt body.
Mouthfeel was good.

I was not overly impressed with this brew. Maybe I had my hopes set too high but really I would classify this as a good but not great IPA. It is pretty easy drinking so if you have easy access to this beer I wouldn’t hesitate to have it be a regular in the line-up but I wouldn’t waist too much time or go too far out of my way to get it.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

355 ml. bottle. The label reminds me of Northern Exposure series :-) Amber colour, medium h ead that last long enough to leave a great lace. Smell of tropical fruits, pine, tea - or is that tobacco? Medium to full body, sticking in the tongue. Taste of tropical fruits, tea leaves, pine, notes of citrus and caramel. Great.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No date on can that I can see.

A - Opened the can and foam started coming out immediately. Poured a massive three finger frothy head and is a hazy golden orange color with tones of carbonation streaming up the glass.

S - Pine, Grass, resin, and spiciness, with a caramel malt backbone. Not over the top in the hops.

T - Follows the nose with the Pine, Grassy qualities. Has a herbal quality and a zestyness to it as well. Has a bitter bite and reminds me of a traditional IPA.

M - Smooth medium to full body with a softness to it. Pleasant and bitter on the tongue.

O - This is a nice traditional IPA, and reminds me of where great IPAs were about 5 years ago. Not a hop bomb by any standard but a nice tasting bitter IPA. If you love IPA's you might like this one however if they are not your favorite style you might be better off picking something else up, Cheers!

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Skyscraper of a head that slowly melts, leaving very nice lacing. Darker amber in color that what I'm used to from an IPA.

Smell: Smells much more like an APA than an IPA. I'm not getting hops here--only caramel malt and sweetness and nut aromas.

Taste: Starts off big on the caramel malt. Somewhere in there is pine flavor from the hops, but the malt swallows most of it. Reminds me of Alpha King, a beer that I didn't care much for but that I know a lot of people like. I was anticipating a hop bomb (I mean, hop is in the title plus this is a west coast beer), but I suppose this is well balanced. It finishes too sweet.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side of moderate, carbonation is also on the lower side. This doesn't go down all that easy for me.

Overall: Again, I understand that I may be disappointed because I didn't get the hop bomb I was looking for, but there's still some nice flavor here. The really sweet finish is what really turns me off. It's not something I would look for again, but those who like a sweeter IPA with nut and caramel flavors may love this one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was a very good ipa, interestingly what stood out to me most was the head. It had the thickest, oddly sticky, head I've every seen. It sat on top of a nice reddish brown body with mild carbonation. Everything I wanted from a good ipa, nice hop character, refreshing, herbal, citrusy, I got a hint of vanilla in there as well. Very good beer. Only had one bottle, should've gotten 6.

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no date, poured into fancy glassware (a plastic cup).

Great looking beer. Dark for an IPA, clear, with a sturdy cap of silky foam. Smell is dark fruit, sweet caramel malt, biscuits, and pine. Big malt flavor at first, with a NW hop twist: berries, oranges, tropical fruit, pine, and a bitter resiny finish.

4.83/5  rDev +20.8%

I've seen this in CA only but noticed it on tap at a fave pizza joint in PDX today...
Appearance: this is what I've always imagined beer to look like in Heaven. Perfect copper amber color with a frothy initial head that tapers off nicely
Smell- I can't smell so great today, but I'm getting a fresh latex paint smell - not turned off though
Taste- I'm not so much into the IPA floral bouquet ... This has a good bitter bite on the front end but a nice even finish with a touch of malt
Mouthfeel- amazing. Even is the best way to describe it. Not heavy, or light, but definitely robust.
I would put this up against the Plinies any day ... And choose it over them

3.52/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Very transparent and big head on the pour. The color is darker than most IPAs with almost a honey amber color.
S: Not very much on the nose but a little bit of grapefruit
T: Hops used are not the strong american piney. some soggy bread and toasted malts on the end remind me more of a english IPA.
M: Medium-heavy
O: Good beer to try but the heavy malt influence and lack of the brightness i look for in an IPA keeps this one scored lower for me

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company