Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

rAvg: 4
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this beer on tap at Redbones and was very impressed. I love good IPA's and this is definetly top notch. Copper in color with a small head that lasted. On to the important part, the hops. You smell and taste hops from the beginning to the end. Not overpowering but perfect, with a hint of citrus. If you have the chance to try this on tap do not pass it up.

3.81/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz. brown bottle, poured into a pint. Wonderfully clear copper hue with an amazing head with persisted through the entire beer. Nice lacing down the glass. Smell is somewhat more grassy than floral, and almost last bale-ish. Taste is very nice though, abundant malt reminds of a british bitter, but a sharp bitter wrap that is decidedly NW style IPA. Significant bitterness in the body that dries the saliva glands and requires more whetting.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

12 ounce bottled poured into a snifter. No bottling info is given. Comes in at 7%.

A-Pours amber, very clear, with a one finger head that leaves a fluffy ring around the edge. A cloud of foam remains in the middle of the glass.

S-After opening the bottle, the initial smell is of citrusy hops wih some sweet malt. The citrus goes away quite fast and some muted floral hops remain.

T-Not as citrusy in taste as the initial smell. Bitterness hits fast on the front and the sweet malt does a good job on the back.

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D-Alcohol is well blended in here. Different type of bitterness than I am used to in my WC IPAs, but still a good drinking beer.

A good offering from a brewery that for no particular reason I don't buy their offerings. Would like to try this fresh on tap.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Bright and somewhat hazy orange hue, thick soapy head. A large aroma of floral hops and grapefruit rinds. Very clean and slick; an initial come and go blast of floral hops. Clean palate for the style; creamy hops give way to some orange peel and grapefruit tastings. A decent and session-able offering.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a medium-amber color with a decent white head. Thin layer remains throughout, a good amount of lacing as well.

S: Very floral and herbal, some light hops as well as some slightly sweet malts.

T: A solid and sweet malty base starts it off with some nutty and bread flavors as well. This transitions into a very fruity and floral middle. The slight hop bitterness starts to shine through now and bursts through in the end. A very well balanced IPA with excellent complexity and tasty as hell.

M: A little bit chewy due to the pronounced maltiness but the slick hop oils also come through towards the end.

D: A very good IPA. I can't believe this is the first time I've tried it, I must have passed it over a million times while shopping at Trader Joe's. A must try for any IPA lover.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

A-Pours out a slightly muddled,amber,like the color of strongly brewed tea.The head stood 1 1/2 inches tall and showed moderate retention before giving way to long,stringy lacing.

S-Dank hops,overripe citrus,slowly developing slight pine notes and a sweet,baked dough maltiness.Even more toffee and caramel malt notes as the beer warms.

T-Sweet malts upfront.More nutty toffee and baked sugar traits with a hop presence that almost seems musty to me.The grapefruit and floral notes are there but they seem a little stale.

M-Slightly bitter with a definite malty sweetness.
It tastes a little dingy and unrefined to me.Medium bodied but I'm just not a fan of what's there.

O-This was a little disappointing considering the hype but I will try it again in case I just got an off bottle.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%

Well, it 'is' an IPA, so when i saw it as a selection at the Bend Brewfest, I began to salivate.

Pours a dark golden, not too clear. Pretty standard for an IPA. Good carbonation and retention. Actually the gal poured it a little hard, had a bit to much foam to deal with, but it's hardly the beers fault the brewfest worker didnt know how to pour : /

Tastes like an IPA should, lots of floral hops, pine, grapefruit. However, I think this more of an entry level contender. I expected just a few notches better from Anderson Valley. Flavors are just a tad to bitter and sticky. Coated my teeth.

I rated this one good, I really did enjoy it, its just that my IPA exposure is vast and perhaps a bit to picky.

Good job Anderson Valley.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance
Garnet and clearwith a moderate head that falls fast

Smell
Sharp pine jumps out of the glass--nice and assertive like an IPA should be; hints of fruit, like strawberry, are there too

Taste
Good flavor with a strong burst of hops; malts are there enough for me to keep this from being overly bitter; body is a tad too thin for me, but the carbonation level feels just fine; flavor drops off a bit in the back end, which, combined with the body make it seem like a smaller IPA; it's by no means small on flavor, and I very much like the flavor here...good hops choices!

Overall
Aside from a few complains, I like this IPA quite a bit. I like the hops used and it's an enjoyable brew.

4.12/5  rDev +3%

Woah there. I was expecting a standard IPA, not a crazy hoppinated monster. But this one surprised me. Appears a pretty typical amber color, with a frothy head (probably due to the hoppiness) and lacing pretty far down the glass. Smells and tastes, well, very hoppy. Lots of tangyness. I'm picking up on a lot of pine needle and sap tastes, as well as that IPA grapefruity taste, which I generally am not a huge fan of, but this one is pretty well balanced for being as overly hoppy as it is. Nice mouthfeel and IPA's seem to always be a hit with me, so drinkability is way up there. Haven't had this one in the bottle that I can remember, but if you see it on tap, grab it up.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I think my colleague "tigerpaws" has a little extra time on his hands to be researching bears with antlers...LOL. He is right on however. This is one of my favorite brews. This IPA is not overpowering, is extremely drinkable, yet hoppy enough for the HopHeads. A great hop aroma, without knocking you out with sugar or any other crap. A very solid, bare-bones IPA, and beautiful at that.

Zum wohl!

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

The easy pour yielded a somewhat darker than expected caramel/amber with a fairly.... er definitely huge head. It cratered nicely and left some good webby lace.

The aroma was a bit more minty than most, bright and well balanced. Juicy grapefruit and orange added the crispness to a pretty sweet and toasty malt mattress.

The flavor had the resiny pine bill that wasn't as detectable in the nose. The balance was good enough to almost (but not quite) lean on the malty side. Very sweet toastiness was no wallflower behind the nice and easy citrus and pine hop bill.

The body maybe a bit on the light side, perhaps emphasized by a very slick feel. Not watery, but it lacked an interesting feel. The carbonation was quite mild, easy to drink nonetheless.

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Second IPA in a row. Again, gotta love the beer store where I buy these from, let me build a sample pack, and that lets me try different tastes, and different beers. Trouble is, I find so many good beers that I want to have again, that means less of the samplers as I buy some of the beers I've tried. I've resisted thus far, but Brooklyn Chocolate Stout was too much, and I've bought more. So, anyway, here's another IPA....

Amber as I'd expect, head small with good lacing that diminshed, smelled like an average pale. The mouth was different that the last ipa, little more foamy, little more body, a little more hoppy, and a slight licorace finish. Well, I was ready...

Taste was top notch, even better than the Centennial I just rated. It was a pale, but had the extra note of hops, but that's where the similarities ended. Perhaps it was in the strain of hops used, but this one seemed like an excellent pale with a seperate flavor that enhanced the beer. The grapefruit and the alcohol blended nice, but there was something extra, the bitterness was spot on, but the licorace note, that little something extra, makes this top notch.

You know, what I said in my last review does not apply. I'd love to have this fresh from the source. It's the best IPA I've had to date. I will buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%