Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hop Ottin' IPA - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Avg: 4
pDev: 19%
Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: pezoids on 04-23-2001

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Ottin' IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,197 | Hads: 2,967
4.41/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Nice clear copper/amber color, been sipping on it for 20 minutes or so and still has some white head on it, some pretty nice lacing down the side of the glass as well.

Smell: Could be better sadly, not as floral as I was hoping, pretty malty smell to it actually.

Taste: Wonderful, crisp and clean, leave a slight bit of bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Great for an IPA, not one I could drink a six pack of, but for sitting here at my desk as a sipper, wonderful!

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Had this one from a 12 oz bottle

A- Nice and clear, not too cloudy but not too pale
S- At first there was a distinct smell of centennial hops but after it warmed that faded
T- Very smooth but not too "hoppy." Had a slight 'dank' quality to it. I'm not sure if they used columbus hops or not.
M- Excellent mouthfeel
D- I had one of these but could have easily had more. Not too bitter that you can't do more than one. Overall good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

I was at Whole Foods and I noticed that somehow Hop Ottin was only $2.99 per 22oz bottle. I asked the clerk how if could be right, and he said that it was indeed a pricing mistake, but that I was welcome to buy all I wanted at that price. Being the hop head that I am, I bought four of them.

This is an IPA you don't hear much about, but after finishing my stash, I'm going to call this one a well-kept secret. To me, this is a perfect West Coast IPA. Wonderful citrus/grapefruit aroma, filtered, and clean hop taste. The alchol presence is also just about right. At 7% ABV, it packs a punch but will not slow you down.

Hop Ottin is every bit as good as better known Stone IPA or Green Flash.

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours golden, but cloudy with a decent amount of head. Smells of citrus, pine, malts and bread. WOW!! What a taste.. the floral hops burst out of the bottle, but it's also quite smooth. Pairs very well with food.. excellent drinability. This may be the best American IPA I've had thusfar. Can't wait to try another offering from Anderson Valley

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this brew poured into a 12oz bar glass.

It pours a nice copper color. It is relatively clear with a very thin head.
The smell is not impressive at all as it has very little in the way of hop aroma, but you can definitely pick up on the malt body.
The taste is what you would expect of a good IPA. There is a nice hop bitterness at first, followed by a nice smooth malt body.
Mouthfeel was good.

I was not overly impressed with this brew. Maybe I had my hopes set too high but really I would classify this as a good but not great IPA. It is pretty easy drinking so if you have easy access to this beer I wouldn’t hesitate to have it be a regular in the line-up but I wouldn’t waist too much time or go too far out of my way to get it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I love IPA's and has got to be one of the best.... Love the taste. Has that IPA taste but lacks that harsh taste that a lot have.. Wish it came to New Mexico!

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer really blew me away. I actually didn't expect much from this and I bought it mostly for the moose-bear on the bottle. Really quite exceptional and very near exactly how I want a IPA to taste.
Beautiful balance between a sweet mouthfeel and hoppy bitterness. Beer like this is really too good to analyze.

Had it with some blue cheese pasta which turned out to be a really good combination.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy. Dark orange copper color with thick lacing
S- Not much of a smell compared to other IPA's I've had. Not bad, just a little disapointing compared to it's reputation.
T- Redemption. Floral, with slight citrus undertones. Very tasty. The hops pummel your tongue into submission.
M- Medium bodies with a hoppy kick for an aftertaste
D- Not as drinkable as most, but I'll do my damndest to make it happen.

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- burnt amber coloring, slightly cloudy with thin lacy head.

S- floral nose with hints of honey

T- very bitter bite that lingers. mildly grapefruitish in regards to bitterness (not citrus flavor). I felt like the hoppy bitterness overpowered everything else. Taste seemed to improve as it warmed up.

M- crisp, sharp almost puckering

D- I think this beer may be a true representative of the IPA style, however I felt like the hoppiness was a little too strong. I will say it did seem to improve as it warmed up and I hope to review this one again some day and see if my opinion changes.

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - amber golden with a nice inch of foam that lasted for quite some time

S - subdued but pleasant aroma

T - really complex floral hops first, followed by a caramel malt and a nutty finish

M - really drinkable, carbonation just right

O - fantastic beer

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought single 12oz bottle. Poured into tulip pint glass. Clear, deep amber/rust color with two finger head. Smelled pine with a hint of citrus in the background. First sip was good, not overbearing. Second taste was better than the first. There is not any undesirable aftertaste; drinkable, not overly hoppy, I could definitely drink another without feeling weighted down. This is a solid IPA that would appeal to those who like IPAs that don't punch them in the face. (Beer dude #3)

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

4.78/5  rDev +19.5%

Excellent beer, as are many of the Anderson Valley beers. Nice, hoppy flavor that not just bitter, but floral and balanced. Very accessible IPA for those who are looking for a balance of bitterness and other flavors in an IPA. Also recommend the AV Oatmeal Stout.

4.52/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a 22oz bottle this beer had a slightly hazy amber color with a ~one inch, mostly white head of densely packed bubbles which dissapate quickly leaving mild to medium lacing.

The aroma is moderately strong floral / citrus common of IPAs. I noticed a hint of carmel and maybe a little orange too.

The taste is much like the aroma only stronger with a more noticeable carmel background. It has a strong flavor initially - then the carbonation - then a quick transition to the moderately strong bitters which become more obvious after swallowing. The alcohol is well hidden.

It has a mild to medium body with fairly high carbonation. It leaves the mouth very slightly dry but in a good way. Not slimy or sticky.

This beer rates very high for me. Seems like an excellent example of a heavily hopped IPA with mild accessory flavors.

4.04/5  rDev +1%

Holy pine forest batman!

A: The color was a dark amber with a nice foamy finger size head. Some retention, with nice lacing.

S: Excellent hop smell as soon as I popped the top. Once poured into a tulip glass the hop smell faded slightly and the malt presence became more pronounced.

T: As mentioned above, wow, what a blast of pine up front. Very resinous, and piney on the palate at first and then recedes into a nice malt backbone. A great mingling of bitter and sweet.

M: Bubbly on the mouthfeel, with a resin coating as it makes it way down.

O: Very nice IPA. Again, what hit me the most was how piney this IPA is. The malt at the end finishes it off perfectly. I would certainly buy this again.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Great IPA. I had high expectations for this one due to the high score here. It did not disappoint. The best way to describe Hop Ottin' is "well balanced". I know many BAers have used this term for this beer, and I couldn't agree more. It's a strong beerl but doesn't over-do it on any characteristic. Hops are present, but in the mix. Very enjoyable all-round. When I'm in the mood for something a little stronger, I go DIPA. But for a great regular IPA, you can't go wrong here.

4.63/5  rDev +15.8%

first off, not meaning to skirt some conventional method, but I am drinking straight from the bottle since I do not have a mug within reach. in other words, I am lazy!

the smell is aromatic, with a hint of rose.

the mouthfeel is electrifyingly tart with a good bite of hops, which is topped off with a kick of dryness. this in turn creates a flavorful kick of citrus and a generous amount of hops (can it get any more generous?).

at the back wash, it ends on a nicely mellowed out finish. it is a real compliment to the tongue and throat.

hop ottin!

2.97/5  rDev -25.8%

A- Pale with a red-ish/amber hue. This beer poured crystal clear with the fluffiest of off-white head, which laced down the glass in a very pleasing way.

S- A little piney, not a lot of aroma here.

T- Typical West Coast hop notes of grapefruit lead into delicate honey and maple flavors. Not a very complex beer but perhaps I'm missing something.

M- Slightly astringent, but effervescent enough to quell it before it becomes an issue. This leads to a perception of imbalance, but give it time (a moment, a moment or two) and you'll be pleased with the sweet profile that follows.

D- This beer is not stellar example, but I would happily drink a few with friends on a brisk Autumn day in Anderson Valley. A good sesh IPA that is worth a pint or two.

* I would note the previous review to mine. I had one the other night and remember being far more impressed than I am tonight. This may be due, in part, to inconsistent packaging procedures./???

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I cracked this last night with a buffalo burger that I had just grilled.

A: Excellent amber with slight orange tint. Creamy rich eggshell colored head that maintained through the entire glass and left an excellent lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Floral smell with a background of a pine forrest. Aromas of sweet citrus.

T: Smooth taste with hints of flowers and grapefruit and a finish of a pine forrest in the sierra nevada.

M: Not too carbonated very smooth.

O: An excellent IPA one of the most well rounded I have tasted in a while. The Hop profile is there but not overwhelming. You know its an IPA but without the chase you away Hop notes of drinking a chemically induced over-hopped attempt at an IPA. I enjoyed this with a nice buffalo burger from the grill and it was an excellent pairing.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Slight haze, not brilliantly clear/golden orange. Good thick meringue head stand. Great head retention and lacing down the glass.

Aroma: not as strong as expected. A little underwhelmed in comparison to other AIPAs i've had. Some pine and grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: medium to full body with a slight carbonic bite.

Taste: Again not as bitter as expected. But reasonable. Well rounded and balanced. Quite sessionable for an AIPA.

Overall: pretty good example of an AIPA. Good fruity hoppiness and decent malt presence. This IPA is all about the balance I think. Will come back for more.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A: Copper color, with a full off white head of foam.

S: Moderate smell of hops, fruit, and floral.

T: Smooth malty flavor with a bit of citris, floral, and pine. Strong hops finish.

M: Smooth on the mouth. Fairly strong carbonation goes well with the strong hops flavor.

O: This is a solid American IPA and is well worth trying. It's got a strong hops finish which I personally love, and the other aspects of the beer are well balanced.

First off the bottle Is beautiful I love the art. Along with other Anderson valley beers. This particular brew is absolutely perfect and is hands down one of the best out there. Have had in both bottle and glass. Taste great high flavorful hops. Not your average citrus brew, though It still has flavorful of citrus, it also has a high range of nuts brewed and you can definitely taste. Overall this brew from Anderson valley is perfect and its really not available as much as I thought it would be as a la resident. So get your hands on a bottle

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

The beer had a really strong hoppy kick. The aftertaste lasted for a long time and was really strong and enjoyable. Enjoyed drinking it while being strong and a little bitter. Great beer that I will definitely drink again and would happy to carry in my bar

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

this is a solid IPA. High abv sticks to the mouth. I like my IPAs to settle in the throat...aftertaste & aroma are good to above average. Very Hoppin, as advertised, i liked it. Aroma is the only attribute lacking, otherwise topshelf IPA worth a "must try". Thank you sir, may I have another...

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is available in lots of places in Northern California. It is my goto IPA when I just need a beer in a hurry. It is a little dark for my liking at a light copper color but not out of style. It has a strong aroma of hops that is pleasant and not too purfume.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company