Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001

The deep ebony color, voluptuous mahogany head and bold, roasty flavors in our Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout are what serious beer drinkers expect from this style. Aromas of freshly baked bread, espresso, and dried cherries meld seamlessly with rich toffee flavors and a creamy mouth feel to create an unparalleled drinking experience.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 940 | Hads: 2,359

Bought a 12oz 6-PACK and poured into a Pint. No signs of freshness date or ABV sign (is this weird?).

A: Very dark, Thick, Oily, Small Head.

S: Very sweet, hints of cofee and chocolate. Great smell.

T: Great balance between sweet and bitter, the aftertaste it´s great. The flavors stay for a while in your mouth.

M: Feels nice and creamy.

D: Drinkability is very high, I'd liked it so much that I am not sure if it could get much better than this. (453 characters)

Enjoyed in a stein.

Pours a dark black color with 1-2 fingers head. Aroma contains extremely pleasant roasted malt, chocolate notes. The flavor is more of the same ... Dark, rich, malty, toasty and just all around one of the most drinkable and delicious stouts around.

I make a point of buying a six pack whenever I can. (322 characters)

Great beer!!! My favorite category of beer done better than I have ever had it before. This beer kicks ass. It has the heavy dark oaty after effect that you would expect of an oatmeal stout but it just tastes so much more pure than any oatmeal stout I have ever had. Some oatmeal stouts are overly fizzy due to low alcohol content but this one is overflowing chocolate and oat notes. Perfect pour, creamy mouth feel and all around tasty on any day. It is my number one favorite beer. (483 characters)

Absolutely stunning stout. Could not fault it at all. Perfect mouthfeel, full of flavour that opens up as it warms. Not at all tiring towards the end. Beauty in a bottle. Now my only trouble is finding more of it, was the last in the store! (240 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

A- Pitch black color, non-transparent, half finger thick tan color head that faded quickly to a thin cover

S- Milk chocolate, roasted malts, earthy, freshly brewed coffee, slight alcohol smell

T- Roasted coffee beans, cocoa powder, dark malts, oats, sweet, grains, slight hop bitterness, also hint of smokeyness

M- Medium/heavy body, low/medium carbonation, smooth, perfectly blended flavors

D- Wow, I'd buy it by the case (if it wasn't so expensive)

This is probably the best oatmeal stout that I've ever had. Great flavors and not one aspect is too over powering. I tip my hat to the brewers of this beer. (612 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Beautiful! This brew is absolutely delicious. Superb silk texture. Strong roasted malt, cappucinno. Potent roasted malts on the nose. Super dark brown head, with a tint of peach. Anderson Valley Brewing Co. hasn't failed me yet. Excellent craftsman. (256 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

A: Very deep brown/black and opaque. Nice 2-finger head that dissipates down to a beautiful lace. What this style should look like.

S: Rich chocolate, coffee, and grain. Delicious roasted malt smell - man I want to drink this.

D: Absolutely amazing. Coffee, grain, and chocolate with a rich roasted malt. A slight creaminess as well. Hops are in the background. Alcohol almost undetectable. This is a perfect example of this style.

M: Thick and a little chewy. Coats the mouth with deliciousness. A bit astringent. Carbonation is almost perfect.

D: Drinks very well for the style. I could hammer a couple of these pretty easily. Not painful to drink slow either. (666 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance - Dark and coffee-colored with a thick, tan head.

Smell - Sweet and carmelly.

Taste - Fantastic! Stouts rarely resonate with me, but this one has a fantastic balance that isn't too sweet or gimmicky; however, it is certainly a little sweet. No bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Feels much thicker in the mouth than most beers, but this is to be expected of an oatmeal stout.

Overall - This is definitely one of my top five beers. I had it for the first time on my honeymoon in late-winter in Boston, and it was the perfect beer for that occasion. I had another today and it was still as good as ever, but I feel like it is best enjoyed in the wintertime. (673 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Santa left a case of this stuff for my brother Christmas day.

The beer looks opaque black at first glance but when held to the light shows a little bit of ruby.

Smells of coffee, chocolate, cream.

Tastes like a rich cup of creamy cocoa with an espresso like finish.

Mouthfeel could be a little more slick, but it's still not bad.

Big flavors but yet very drinkable.

This is the best oatmeal stout I have ever had. (420 characters)

A fantastic beer!
I randomly stumbled across this beer 3 years ago in a small "primitive" town in SE Ohio. They sure had good taste! I later moved to Northern California and was astonished by the sight of AV Barney Flatt's Oatmeal Stout. We crossed paths once again and with no disappointment.

This beer has become one of my favorites!

The appearance is extremely Opaque... almost no light is visible even in the very edges.

The smell is chocolatey and mildly sweet; reminds me of sticking my nose in an 80lb bag of Chocolate malt. Oh how do I love it!

Taste! It's taste is also chocolatey, a little sweetness, and hops are very noticeable. It finishes with a nice bitterness but not too much that it over powers the sweetness.

Mouth feel is very smooth and silky, not overly carbonated.

Overall I love it! this is what I consider a "World Class" Oatmeal Stout... way to represent Anderson Valley! (904 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can into a pint glass at the Warwick Hotel.

A: Pours a thick jet black color with a nice tan head about a finger's worth. Dissipates slowly.

S: Smells great! Dark toasty malt goodness upfront for sure.

T: Creamy and delicious. Chewy oatmeal flavors at the front end with lingering coffee at the end. P.s. I know this is NOT brewed with coffee.

M: Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, but I was hoping for something even creamier.
I'm thinking this would be GREAT on Nitro.

O: Fantastic oatmeal stout. Definitely up there with Sam Smith's and Founder's Breakfast Stout in terms of quality ingredients and taste. Cheers! (628 characters)

Photo of
4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

The perfect stout. It pours black with a tan head.

The aroma is very malty, not as roasty as many oatmeal stouts. very little hop aroma.

The taste is an enigma. It is heavy yet light, dark and deep but not too much chocolate or roasted flavors. There is little hop bitterness, which must be tough for the brewers at Anderson based on the other beers they make.

Mouthfeel is amazing. The beer is thick and strong, yet not in the slightest cloying and almost feels light compared to the complex, strong flavors.

Drinkability is exceptional. It is not an overpowering, cloying stou, so having a couple is not a problem. (620 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

Excuse my short review.

I cannot say anymore that hasn't already been said about this beer. I was a Samuel Smith (Tadcaster) Oatmeal Stout fan before I tasted this.

If you like Oatmeal Stouts, buy this, you will NOT regret it. A clerk at Pancho's Liquor Town in OKC turned me onto this and I cannot let it go....an excellent stout. (333 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

Yeah, this is an all-timer. Pour it in a cognac glass to get the full effect My beer is bigger than your beer type of bragging rights. The oats! Roasted oats are yum-yum good. Big warm fuzzy beer that you just want to curl up with. The smell alone will drive 'em crazy. Always reliable, always on, always a joy to drink. And I don't even really like stouts... (359 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

I wrote a review for this years ago and it's disappeared. It was one of my first high end oatmeal stouts and set the standard. Served at a good temperature and I poured a small to medium sized tan head that settled to a light cover that lasted all the way down and some lace. Color is an opaque black brown. Aroma is malt, roast, cocoa, hint vanilla. Flavor's like nose with just right carbonic tang and some bitterness that all balance just right. Body is full and carbonation is exactly right. Finish is like flavor that slowly taper over a while. World class beer. (567 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a small goblet/chalice.

Appearance: deep, dark chocolate brown; completely opaque, no light showing through at all; thick foamy head that dissipated quickly; not much lacing

Smell: roasted coffee; dark chocolate; malt, maybe a hint of vanilla?

Taste: heavy dark chocolate up front which lingered pleasantly in the aftertaste; roasted coffee showing through; a really nice balance between the chocolate and coffee notes; malt and what tasted like raisins or prunes in the aftertaste too

Mouthfeel: silky smooth; a little thin but not in a bad way; very little carbonation; dry finish

Overall: One of the easiest drinking stouts I've ever encountered. Before I knew it I was halfway done with the bottle. Not too bitter, not too sweet. Almost no carbonation. A well balanced combination of chocolate, coffee, and malt with a bit of dried fruit for sweetness. I wish I had another right now. Amazing! (940 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of my favorites. The first time I had it I was at the Bigfoot West bar in Culver City, CA. It was on tap. Everything seemed to be just right. The aroma, taste, mouth feel. It was a close to perfect Oatmeal Stout.

Taste: Rich, sweet with a proper amount of bitterness. The after taste brings out all the cocoa and chocolate flavors. Perfectly crafted!

Aroma: Strong, nutty, cocoa.

I recommend this stout for those who aren't too familiar with dark stout beer (515 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 ounce bottle.

A: Pours black with a thin eggshell head that settles slowly. Almost no light shines through this beer. Lacing is sticky, and coats the glass.

S: Roasted malt, coffee and some chocolate are the primary aromas in this beer. Some floral hop aromas linger in the backround.

T: Flavors consist of roasted malt, bitter chocolate, and espresso up front, with hops lending a dry, somewhat floral finish. Much like the smell, but much more intense. Slightly sweet, yet very balanced.

Notes: Wow! It's been a long time since I had this beer. One of the best oatmeal stouts I have ever tried. Full-bodied, complex, and at the same time very drinkable. A session stout if I ever had one. I'm blown away by it. (751 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter

A: Opaque black with a nice thick mocha head. Great head retention especially for a stout!

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, slight coffee, prune, fig, and dark chocolate!

T: Chocolate covered dark fruit, fig, coffee, roasty notes, dark grapes, prunes, honey, and backt to roasted malt. Super tasty!

M: Outstanding. Smooth and goes down like silk! Big and flavorful considering the ABV. Big stout flavor provided in a nice drinkable package.

O: Outstanding brew! Some might consider this thin but i disagree it's not selling itself as a RIS. It's a damn near perfect everyday stout that i would have as dessert every night if given the chance! One of my new go to beers. Get it! (713 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Nose: roast malts, faint oats, light coffee
Pours deep dark brown under a 1" tan head.
Palate: rich malt flavors, chocolate, light caramel, vanilla, balancing roast on the finish.
full body, medium carbonation, oily (215 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Deep dark basically opaque color with a big frothing tan head. Aroma has dark chocolate notes, soft oatmeal grains, hints of fresh baked cookie dough and a hint of astringent coffee. Flavor is grade A, possibly the best hands down oatmeal stout in the country, rich balanced semi sweet dark chocolate, hints of coffee from the dark roasted malts. Nice grains, herbal hops blanced things out, a hint of herbal mint things are cohesively tasting great in this glass. Mouthfeel has a creamy smooth texture, with big medium to full body with even smooth carbonation levels. Drinkability overall kicks ass, instant classic in a can as fresh as it gets, one can costs $1.79 find me a case, this is excellent stuff. (708 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A pitch-black bitch on a cold winter's night, this gold medal winner was just what I was looking for tonight. For some reason I have never reviewed this beer even though it's one of my favorites. I've got one now, so here we go...

Dark as night with a shallow mocha head. The nose on this one is enough to make your eyes roll back in your head. The aroma is that of the perfect mixture of pale, toasted and caramel malt. It is truly like no other beer I have experienced. Like a milk chocolate toffee bar formed around sweet caramel malt husks.

The flavors continue the almost erotic imagery from the nose but swirl in a heavenly roastiness, like perfectly French-roasted and pressed coffee beans, only better. This beer is everything it should be with an emphasis on the toasty caramel malt sweetness. Medium-bodied for a stout, the high kiln roasts provide just enough fullness on the tongue.

Brown sugar sweet with a chewy oatmeal presence, this may well be the best sweet stout beer on the planet. How's that for a review? I dig it. If you haven't had this beer yet, stop reading this immediately and go get some. 'Nuff said. (1,138 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

I can see why this won a Gold medal.

Excellent ruby-black body with a decent foamy tan head. Creamy roasted malt smell with hints of oats, coffee and chocolate.

Taste is equally good, but a bit on the bittersweet side. Chocolate, malts, coffee and faint vanilla hints. Very smooth and creamy, and surprisingly, a very faint alcohol hint. Very slight diacetyl flavour.

Silky smooth stout - what I would expect from an oatmeal stout. An amazing stout, very sessionable. This is almost like a more refined version of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. (546 characters)

And another re-rate in 2005-

What an awesome aroma to this...sweet, roasty..nutty (hazelnuts) and a bit of vanilla...THE best smelling stout I have had...

This is damn near a 5.0 in my book for the style....taste is real close to a 5.0 but I'll leave it at 4.5...Perhaps my favorite stout of all-time....what a drinker...great flavors that mimick the nose...creamy texture...lbody is on the lighter side of medium....great, great stuff...
---
Re-rate 2003 I think this was one of my first reviews on this site...let me add a little more...this is an excellent Oatmeal stout..has a bit of an espresso taste to it but also a nice sweet stout flavor....I had it a 5.0 and am lowering it slightly..
---
-Perfect Oatmeal stout...thick, rich, creamy and sweet...a unique taste I can't identify(maybe the oats?) (814 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a pitch black with a huge light brown head.

Aroma was of roasted chocolate malt and just a hint of hop.

Taste was mostly the roasted chocolate. It had almost a sweet caramel taste to it. Coffee is there and also some vanilla.

This was a little thinner then most other stouts I have enjoyed. I'd say a medium body. I must say, I was really surprised with how impressed I was with this beer. I had never heard of it and after the first sip I was joyed. I was happy to find out when I checked out the reviews I wasn't the only one. I like this better than Samuel Smiths version of the oatmeal stout.

With a low abv, this is perfect to enjoy after dinner with dessert and since it isn't as thick as most stouts, you don't have to save room to fit it all in :) (767 characters)

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company