Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001

The deep ebony color, voluptuous mahogany head and bold, roasty flavors in our Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout are what serious beer drinkers expect from this style. Aromas of freshly baked bread, espresso, and dried cherries meld seamlessly with rich toffee flavors and a creamy mouth feel to create an unparalleled drinking experience.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 942 | Hads: 2,378
2.32/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark brown coloring, fairly subtle tan-colored head.

S: Actually, not much here. I'm getting a slight roasted malt / coffee smell, but that's about it.

T: Shockingly bland. I'm getting a slight roasted malt flavor profile, but that's about it. Perhaps the bottle is old?

M: Very thin and watery.

D: This is shickingly bland and light - not at all what I expected. That being said, I rated drinkability higher than most other metrics as one could session this beer if one wanted to.

This was not good, which shocked me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, as the vast majority of reviews of this beer are very high. I have one bottle remaining, but that could be old as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I ever get my hands on a fresh sample and then see what I think.

2.43/5  rDev -40%

This beer pours a very dark color with a moderately fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is a burned malt and coffee smell. The flavor has a very unnecessary hop character with the most prominent flavor being the roasted malts and coffee. I really did not enjoy this beer because it reminded me more of a porter than it did a sweet stout. The hops gave it a bite where it should have been smooth and easy to drink.

2.47/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Medium brown head. Low retention. decent stick.

Smell - thin. Faint soy sauce. Not promising.

Taste - Oatmeal. Thin. Some alcohol. Stale coffee. Some bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Some effervescence but pretty mild.

Overall Drinkability - Very plain. Characters are very mild and almost imperceptible. No off characters though.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

After one taste, (maybe two), I poured the other two bottles down the drain. For sure I promise not to rate any Anderson Valley Beers. Because I'll never buy another one of there beers again. Five tasted and not one rated above 2 (average).

2.55/5  rDev -37%

Pours a viscous dark brown with 1 and half fingers of head. I smell grains and wet cardboard. Smells dusty and metallic. Taste started off metallic at first. I then get a light flavor of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Finish is mostly coffee with a little bit of hops. Not that bitter. The flavor seems pretty fleeting. The mouthfeel is solidly medium. A little silky, not quite creamy. Not too impressed here. I know this beer is only 5.7% but the flavors aren't really strong enough to keep me interested

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into a pint glass, nice inch and a half of foam. Beer is dark, dark deep brown almost black color, and smells like roasted coffee.

Has a nice full mouthfeel on first taste, good strong roasted malt with very strong coffee notes, nice but not aggressive hop finish which fades pretty quickly. Carbonation is fine, as it warms a little more flavors come into play, but the dominant one is the slight coffee taste.

Overall, it's actually kind of bland, I think, as much as I want to like it, I find myself wishing for a Russian Imperial stout. I have a case and I probably wouldn't buy it again. It's not offensive in any way, but nothing special either.

2.81/5  rDev -30.6%

I've tried bottles on both coasts and both times there was something sour I didn't like.

a: Looks good, a very dark brown with no highlights. It pours with a thick, light brown head, decent retention.

s: I got roasty, cocoa malts and some grainy sweetness. There is a little something sour underneath though.

t: That sourness is more pronounced here. All the elements of a good oatmeal stout are here, but I can't get past that sourdough bread/cheap coffee flavor. It just doesn't work for me in this one.

m: Feels right, smooth silky body and gentle but active carbonation.

d: I've tried these 3,000 miles and 6 months apart. Not for me.

2.86/5  rDev -29.4%

Almost black in color, with a light brown head, one finger. Ok.
A bit strange smell, with light metallic notes. Under that, some toasted notes, light, and oat, creamy.
A bit better taste, malty notes, toasted. Again a hint of metallic, cereals.
Not completely satysfating, even in the aftertaste.

2.86/5  rDev -29.4%

Picked up a bottle of this on a whim. Poured from an undated bottle to a pint glass.

A - Poured from undated 12oz brown bottle to a pint glass. The beer pours a deep dark black color with a dark brown mahogany edge. A nice 1 finger dark tan head with decent retention and nice lacing.

S - The first thing I notice is a dominant raisin character, which I didn't expect. A medium roast character also present with a hint of light earthy hop character. But a lot of raisin.

T - Just like the nose the raisin flavor dominates from the get go enveloping the palette with a thick syrupy character that lasts through the finish. A mild bitterness with the earthy hops. Though the roast malt takes a back seat to the sweet raisin flavor. Disappointing.

M - Despite the raisin-dominated flavor the mouthfeel was good. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry.

O - Never had a stout like this. As Oatmeal Stouts are one of my favorites I was really looking forward to this but supremely disappointed. I am not a fan of raisins and don't get the flavor. Based on the ratings I suppose this bottle could be mishandled or old. I would give it another shot but this one was weak sauce.

Reviewed on: 03-31-2011 02:04:30

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours very dark, almost black with a nice tan head.

Very light, sweet creamed coffee nose. Simple and elegant and not real assertive.

Very thin mouthfeel, very watery and with little character.

Flavors were light coffee; simple coffee if not watered down coffee. This beer had almost no character; almost no flavor and was simply very weak and unimpressive.

I tried it twice and the foregoing was consistent both times. (Perhaps I was poured from a bad keg. I don't know. I do know that this beer was less than impressive.)

2.94/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

-pours the darkest of brown with a medium,foamy,beige head
-Follows the nose plus some roasty coffee and no licorice
-light,watery body
-medium carbonation
I like my Stouts to taste fuller.

2.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Have to start by saying this is a very complex beer ... not really sure if it is an oatmeal stout, a sweet stout or an imperial stout.

Color was Black w a thick brown head that lasted fairly well. Aroma was VERY hoppy at first before dissipating only slightly (don't get me wrong, I love hops, but not really to style hence lower rating). Hints of chocolate and mouthfeel was oily as an oatmeal stout should be. Beer was smooth at first but turned very bitter at the finish.... Also noticed alcohol as it sat and warmed a bit (like an Imperial Stout).

As they say on the bottle "recommend as a nightcap." I could prob drink a few but certainly not a session beer as I like in most oatmeal stouts.

2.96/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Black and a dark creamy head.

Smell: Almost too much going on here. Dark chocolate comes across backed up by a good dose of hops and then there's a distinct smokiness.

Taste: Way too smokey and not in the way that I like. Smoke is about the only thing I can taste for a good while, way into the aftertaste, until the bittersweet chocolate pulls through. I usually don't like this chocolate flavor either, but in this case I welcome it.

Mouthfeel: Great. Thick and rich but also nice and tingly.

Drinkability: I can finish it but I couldn't stomach another.

Beef Notes: I'd say this is a good example of a bad use of smoke flavor in beer. If it wasn't for that, this would probably be a fine beer. Since it is for that, I will not be drinking this beer again any time soon.

2.97/5  rDev -26.7%

Overall: A bit disappointed given the ranking this receives. Not objectionable. Just not a standout. Very middle of the road on all counts in my book. Smell and taste were just lacking. Decent enough but not something I will likely search out or add to my list of regulars.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Grassy hops, dry oats, and a tiny dab of chocolate that rounds off with a light - almost empty - sweet, soymilk foam finish. The creamy finish seems like it’s trying to make up for its thinner, porter-esque mouthfeel. Too much hops for my liking. I prefer a maltier, more burnt stout.

Not sure if I got a bad batch of this stout! Or that's how it's suppose to be, but it had the overpowering taste of carbonated / seltzer water. At the least, it was bad enough I had to leave myself a note. Otherwise, it may have been a decent beer as it's other characteristics were OK.

I may have gotten a different bottle of this than most people, as I wasn’t very impressed. Poured to a dark brown with thin tan head that dissipated fairly quickly and left oaky lacing. I had to work to get much aroma, which was faintly malty chocolate-toffee. The taste was also a fairly sweet, but faint, chocolate, and was undone by the watery mouthfeel of this thin-bodied beer. The finish was also highly influenced by the thin body, and was short, watery and a little stale.

Not as good of a beer as I expected.

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

For all its attributes it should taste better than a skunky guinness. Beautiful look, smell and feel taste is lacking. Even gave it a second taste from a different local.

A - Pours a solid black with a nice 1 finger tan head. No highlights

S - Roasted malts, some vamilla, not picking up on a lot

T - Hoppier than expected. Some of the same vanilla from the smell. There is a bit of ash or smokiness detected also

M - Highly carbonated, fairly thin bodied. A bit less than a typical oatmeal stout

O - Not a huge amount of complexity to this one, nothing really stands out. Overall pretty average

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

A: Dark Brown w/ light brown head. The head was 3/4 inches and was a okay lace.

S: Very alcoholy and a little pine too. Also a little oaky as well.

T: Creamy and bitter.

M: Thick and tended to foam up once sipped.

D: Not too bad. Served better chilled than room temp.

3.04/5  rDev -24.9%

A_Pours a dark cola looking liquid. Actually resembles coca cola down to the large bubbled carbonation in the glass.

S_Sweet coffee laced chocolate aroma. Minor alcohol notes

T_Coffee dominates at first followed by a nicely roasted grain note. Not overly complicated but it gets down to the correct stout notes one would expect.

M_Rather light bodied and overly carbonated. No oatmeal silk at all. The look turned out to be indicative of the feel.

D_A decent beer, but as an Oatmeal it just doesn't stand out. The thicker mouthfeel is absent and the overall complexity is lacking. A shame as I have enjoyed other beers from the brewery.

3.06/5  rDev -24.4%

I have never had Anderson Valley before and thought I'd give the oatmeal stout a shot since I don't have much experience with oatmeal stouts and wanted to try another one(only had probably 1 other) and I'm not that impressed. It's ok, sometimes I think I'm drinking a guinness which is fine since I like Guinness but I was looking for more flavor. I was expecting a huge oatmeal push like Founders Breakfast Stout but I shouldn't be comparing this to founders BS. I guess Oatmeal Stouts aren't my kind of style, maybe I should try more oatmeal stouts before I make any judgments but now I'll stick with my imperial and russian stouts.

3.09/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer had such potential. Yet it's extreme dry mouth feel and smell of old bread ruined what flavor it has. God it's so dry. An stout should never be dry.

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label an idyllic mountain valley with a bear drinking from a stream. And he has moose antlers. Back label has a description of the area pictured and of the beer. No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with a massive, 4 fingers of medium tan head. This settles to a thin, yet complete coating, leaving behind no lacing. Some lacing does appear as I drink the pint. The beer itself is dark brown and opaque, essentially black. Some sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Sweet, marshmallow with hints of chocolate and a slight sourness in the finish.

Taste: Some sweet lactose flavor with an underlying, mild roasted barley bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation level, as is appropriate for the style. Body is thin and watery.

Drinkability: Nothing too impressive here. Overall, very bland and watery. And I was really looking forward to a proper stout this evening.

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz bottle into a large mug

Pours a coffee brown with a frothy head. These bubbles are stuck on stupid.

Coffee, espresso, oatmeal, and nuts in the nose

Coffee again with cream and some chicory.

Robust, full bodied, and pretty Damn smooth. We have a winner

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company