Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -69.2%

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

1.75/5  rDev -56.9%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

2.3/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark brown coloring, fairly subtle tan-colored head.

S: Actually, not much here. I'm getting a slight roasted malt / coffee smell, but that's about it.

T: Shockingly bland. I'm getting a slight roasted malt flavor profile, but that's about it. Perhaps the bottle is old?

M: Very thin and watery.

D: This is shickingly bland and light - not at all what I expected. That being said, I rated drinkability higher than most other metrics as one could session this beer if one wanted to.

This was not good, which shocked me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, as the vast majority of reviews of this beer are very high. I have one bottle remaining, but that could be old as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I ever get my hands on a fresh sample and then see what I think.

2.38/5  rDev -41.4%

This beer pours a very dark color with a moderately fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is a burned malt and coffee smell. The flavor has a very unnecessary hop character with the most prominent flavor being the roasted malts and coffee. I really did not enjoy this beer because it reminded me more of a porter than it did a sweet stout. The hops gave it a bite where it should have been smooth and easy to drink.

2.45/5  rDev -39.7%

After one taste, (maybe two), I poured the other two bottles down the drain. For sure I promise not to rate any Anderson Valley Beers. Because I'll never buy another one of there beers again. Five tasted and not one rated above 2 (average).

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Medium brown head. Low retention. decent stick.

Smell - thin. Faint soy sauce. Not promising.

Taste - Oatmeal. Thin. Some alcohol. Stale coffee. Some bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Some effervescence but pretty mild.

Overall Drinkability - Very plain. Characters are very mild and almost imperceptible. No off characters though.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

Flavor is disappointing: more like a porter than a stout. Even a hint of Budweiser.
Nice color, pours great.

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours a viscous dark brown with 1 and half fingers of head. I smell grains and wet cardboard. Smells dusty and metallic. Taste started off metallic at first. I then get a light flavor of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Finish is mostly coffee with a little bit of hops. Not that bitter. The flavor seems pretty fleeting. The mouthfeel is solidly medium. A little silky, not quite creamy. Not too impressed here. I know this beer is only 5.7% but the flavors aren't really strong enough to keep me interested

2.56/5  rDev -36.9%