Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

erinneel, Jan 08, 2013

TimCasby, Jan 10, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

UncleBuccs, Aug 10, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

A: Dark brown coloring, fairly subtle tan-colored head.

S: Actually, not much here. I'm getting a slight roasted malt / coffee smell, but that's about it.

T: Shockingly bland. I'm getting a slight roasted malt flavor profile, but that's about it. Perhaps the bottle is old?

M: Very thin and watery.

D: This is shickingly bland and light - not at all what I expected. That being said, I rated drinkability higher than most other metrics as one could session this beer if one wanted to.

This was not good, which shocked me. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, as the vast majority of reviews of this beer are very high. I have one bottle remaining, but that could be old as well. Guess I'll have to wait and see if I ever get my hands on a fresh sample and then see what I think.

rosmhuire, Jan 05, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

This beer pours a very dark color with a moderately fluffy tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is a burned malt and coffee smell. The flavor has a very unnecessary hop character with the most prominent flavor being the roasted malts and coffee. I really did not enjoy this beer because it reminded me more of a porter than it did a sweet stout. The hops gave it a bite where it should have been smooth and easy to drink.

clvand0, Aug 28, 2003
2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

After one taste, (maybe two), I poured the other two bottles down the drain. For sure I promise not to rate any Anderson Valley Beers. Because I'll never buy another one of there beers again. Five tasted and not one rated above 2 (average).

BeerManDan, Jun 28, 2002
2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No date.

Appearance - Black body. Medium brown head. Low retention. decent stick.

Smell - thin. Faint soy sauce. Not promising.

Taste - Oatmeal. Thin. Some alcohol. Stale coffee. Some bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very watery. Some effervescence but pretty mild.

Overall Drinkability - Very plain. Characters are very mild and almost imperceptible. No off characters though.

ZenAgnostic, Oct 25, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

silentnoiz, Jan 07, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

jwal, May 14, 2014
2.55/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours a viscous dark brown with 1 and half fingers of head. I smell grains and wet cardboard. Smells dusty and metallic. Taste started off metallic at first. I then get a light flavor of coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Finish is mostly coffee with a little bit of hops. Not that bitter. The flavor seems pretty fleeting. The mouthfeel is solidly medium. A little silky, not quite creamy. Not too impressed here. I know this beer is only 5.7% but the flavors aren't really strong enough to keep me interested

Dubber55, Jun 27, 2011

oldp0rt, Sep 28, 2013

donovado, Mar 09, 2013

Punisher, Oct 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured into a pint glass, nice inch and a half of foam. Beer is dark, dark deep brown almost black color, and smells like roasted coffee.

Has a nice full mouthfeel on first taste, good strong roasted malt with very strong coffee notes, nice but not aggressive hop finish which fades pretty quickly. Carbonation is fine, as it warms a little more flavors come into play, but the dominant one is the slight coffee taste.

Overall, it's actually kind of bland, I think, as much as I want to like it, I find myself wishing for a Russian Imperial stout. I have a case and I probably wouldn't buy it again. It's not offensive in any way, but nothing special either.

vikingloki, Oct 26, 2007