Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Barney Flats Oatmeal StoutBarney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-08-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

Picked up 3 different brews from Anderson Valley, and this was the 3rd I tried.

Pours liquid midnight into my Green Flash pint glass. Exceedinly vigorous pour yields a nice dark mocha colored head. Solid lacing throughout the session.

Bit of chocolate on the nose, seems like some roasted malts are trying to come through too.

Nice flavors. Not exceedingly flavorful. Roasted malts right away interesting oatey taste emerges very late.

Average mouthfeel. I haven't had a proper stout in a while, but my gut tells me this one is lighter than most.

Fairly drinkable. None of the beers from Anderson Valley knocked my socks off, but this one was definitely my favorite.

A - Jet black body with a dark brown head starting out at about an inch and a half tall.

S - Malty chocolate scent that's not all that inviting.

T - Rich malt flavor with a chocolaty middle and a sweet hoppy finish. This is a very good oatmeal stout.

M - Smooth and easily drinkable. There is a slight coarse texture in the finish that brings out that hoppy ending.

~ This brew has some really high quality characteristics. I certainly recommend this beer to all stout fans. I'm glad I bought a six pack 'cause I'm looking forward to a few more.

I know I've had this in the bottle, and I am a big Anderson Valley fan. In the can it is clean and crisp. It has nice hoppiness in every sip. It is a stronger tasting stout without being rude in any way. It does not have too much sweetness like some full flavored stouts.

It seems to be leaving a nice lace on the side of my hotel plastic cup. This is a decent stout in a can and I would buy it again. I am glad that I have one more of these on my road trip.

A: poured a dark as night black with a thin tan head that with a little bit of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: nice chocolate oatmeal aromas with some roastiness and a bit of booze as well. Very enjoyable nose on this one.

T: some nice roasted chocolate malts but the oatmeal seems to fall off on the taste with slight booze.

M: light to meduim body with light carbonation that has a thin base as it fades into the palate.

D: very drinkable beer that has a great chocolate nose and flavor. On the other hand the oatmeal I got was on the aroma but that ok it was still a good beer.

Appearance: Oh so nicely dark with a light tan head that thins out a little quick from it's one finger thickness.

Aroma: Roasted malts to start with a little smokiness in the back. Hops are roasted dark but well shy of burnt. Hints of coffee as well.

Taste: More roasted hops and malt. A pleasant smooth mouthfeel. There is a touch of smokiness which is a nice touch. The overall flavor is oh so very robust and full bodied.

Notes: Very tasty robust and hearty. Cheers.

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company