Boont Amber Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Boont Amber AleBoont Amber Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.54/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I've never been a huge fan of Anderson Valley Brewing Company. Their beers are always just OK. I did grab a 12-pack around December when they went on sale at Total Wine & More, but they are just decent. Beers like this are a good way to introduce someone to craft beer. I actually didn't plan on this beer being in the sampler pack that I bought, so we lucked out. It was on sale for $6.99 from $12.99, so even if the the beers are bad, I figured I would get them anyway! The IPA was also in there, and it's a good daily drinking IPA.

Until we started reviewing this beer, I had no idea where Anderson Valley Brewing Company was. Cool story about the small town and their language. I would love to meet someone from there just to see how they talk. Fun! Hopefully the beer is good, and I am looking forward to reviewing it. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I could smell this as I was pouring it. The last time I had this, I just drank it from the bottle. I know, I know… I do NOT recommend ANYONE drink ANY beer from a bottle. Grab a cup, even if it's a red Solo cup, and drink from a glass. So I am sure I will enjoy this more in a glass. In the glass, it has a nice dark tan color, with a VERY thick and frothy head. I also didn't realize that the brewery was solar powered. It says that on the cap, anyway.

Nose: As I was pouring, I could smell the malty goodness. When I stick my nose in the glass, it has a nice rich caramel aroma and a lovely malty finish. A second whiff I am picking up some nice sugary aromas. This beer has a lot of promise.

Flavor: Considering my experience with Anderson Valley beers, I didn't have a lot of expectations with this one. Also, not usually a fan of amber ales. But this one isn't bad. At first, there is a rich copper flavor. Imagine licking a penny. Then it mellows out, and provides a nice malty flavor that lingers on the back of the tongue. There is a nice little hint of hops toward the back of the palate, but that's it. For a guy that likes hops, I am impressed that I like the flavor so much.

Mouthfeel: While I am thinking about it, why does the bear on the label (and on the Anderson Valley website) have horns? Do bears in northern California have horns? Anyway, the mouthfeel is nice, and actually changes as you drink the beer. At first, a ton of bubbles hit the front of the palate then it settles to a nice malty flavor at the back of the palate. A subtle dryness creeps in, and then settles to a smooth finish. I would say the aftertaste is the best part of this beer.

Aftertaste: This is nice. It starts with a rich copper flavor, then as you swallow the malty flavors lessen and you are still hit with the malty flavors. The hops really come out in the end. The aftertaste lasts for a few minutes, too.

Anderson Valley has a lot of beers in their portfolio. From their Winter and Summer Solstice to their Oatmeal Stout and IPA, they have a wide range of flavors. Out of the ones I have had, the Boont Amber Ale is nice. If you haven't had the Winter Solstice, grab one next year. It's one of the better holiday beers.

Boont Amber Ale - The bottle says: "Deep copper with a creamy light tan head. Rich aroma of caramel and a sun-toasted grain elegantly meshed with a mellow noble hop aroma. A full-bodied malt flavor is supported by a refreshing mild hop bitterness with herbal hoppy aromas - lending itself to a long, clean finish."

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep amber color with nice creamy head that dissapated pretty quickly,a veryy hoppy aroma to this pretty floral with slight malt'grain background.Taste is a little sharp/hoppy to start with a little bread dough type flavor lingers in the end.Pretty well amber one of the better onse I have had in awhile.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

This is the second really good amber ale that I've had in a week! The deep color of molasses makes this brew mouthwatering. The drinkability of this beer between the mouthfeel, perfect carbonation, and nice hop immediately makes it one of my favorites this spring. The smell off of the pint is slightly sweet but otherwise indescript. I woudl compare this brew to a mild APA in terms of flavor and drinkability. It's A Good One!

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Had this one on a recommendation from a friend and since I am not usually a big fan of Amber/Red Ales I was a bit skeptical. But I was very happy with this beer indeed. It poured a nice medium to light amber color with a thin white head that left lots of lace around the glass. The smell wasa mostly of sweet carmel and also had a bit of hops sneaking though. The flavor was more hoppy than I was expecting, but not overly hoppy by any means. The slight bitterness was quickly thwarted by wonderful malt and carmel flavors. This beer was very very smoothe and had a nice medium thick body to it that would enable me to drink many of these at a single setting. If you are looking for a great drinkable amber ale, this is a excelent choice

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%

First, a disclaimer: I keep my kegerator a bit warmer than most (I abhor ice-cold beer unless it's a hot day and marginal in quality) which has an obvious impact on the drinking experience.

This is the second time in the past 4 months that I've opted for this beer and I'm still pleased with my choice. I find it smooth and drinkable in the style of a good English Ale, but with a nice caramel note and a hint of nuttiness. Pulled properly there's a modest head which laces away. I've enjoyed this with burgers, steak and grilled pork chops with equal results. I did find the bottle a bit more harsh in comparison.

The aroma falls well short - bordering on non-existent. However, that's the only negative I can offer for this brew.

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

12oz can. Pours a clear light amber with a medium rocky off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet treacly caramel malts, maple and molasses with some toasted malt.

The flavor is the same as the nose - sweet treacly caramel and molasses with some maple and toasted malt and a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, way too sweet for me. I didn't really care for the maple and toasted malts. I can see this as a solid amber, but it totally didn't work for me.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Presentation: 12 oz brown long-neck bottle with no freshness date. Blurb about the beer on the back label.

Appearance: Light reddish amber with a frothed milk like off white head.

Smell: Flowery and tea like hop aroma, hints of fruit and grain similar to a shortbread.

Taste: Full bodied with a somewhat slick and chewy malt mouth feel. Hop bitterness is clean and abundant, just enough to level the malt. Quite fruity and malt sweetness flexes a bit also, residual sweetness stays until the end. A bit grainy with hints of toasted malt and caramel. Soft flowery hop flavour and a light bready malt sweetness linger on and on in the finish.

Notes: Good fruity / hoppy mix, the malt character cradles the complexities perfectly. A little hefty and very flavourful … this beer shows again that AVBC knows craft beer. 5.8% abv.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz bottle pours a murky reddish orange color, with a long lasting tan head. Some sheets and rings of lace are left behind. Sweet caramel stands out in what is a subdued aroma. Floral and citrus hops struggle to get noticed. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation and surprising hop bite. Taste is sweet caramel all the way through, but with a solid hops presence of pine and citrus which provide a substantial bitterness. Well balanced overall. Finish is dry and bitter. The hops seem to overtake the caramel malt sweetness about halfway through the glass. There is also some earthiness to this one. I wouldn't mind having a few of these.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

12 oz bottle, no freshness dating. Pours dark almond and cloudy with some sediment. Malty nose. Leaves some lacing. Thin, creamy off white head. Nice malty brew, Hops come in late with a bit of a bite and some grainyness. Well balanced and smooth in the mouth. Notes of vanilla and caramel. Nicely crafted. Tasty quaffer.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Two fingers of egg shell colored head. Awesome lacing and head retention. Clear amber body is nice as well.

Smell is quite big and full of earthy, floral, grassy hops.
Big malt sweetness and Carmel tones.

Tastes like a nice malty amber. Carmel, toffee, bready yeast notes.
Very nice and quite hoppy with a low bitterness.

Medium thin body, medium carbonation. Slight bit of bitterness on the finish. This is quite smooth on the palate.

Overall this is a hoppy smelling and tasting amber with a touch of bitterness. Well made and quite drinkable.

$1.75 a single.

2.65/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: orange/brown in color, 1/4 inch head, moderate carbonation, hazy

Smell: caramel and citrus hops, some perfume like smell as well. This almost smelled like a barleywine.

Taste: light caramel malt, some citrus and florals, light hops, and tea.

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, medium bodied, sweet with a slightly bitter backbone, slick

Drinkability: This was a disappointment for me from a brewery I like. This beer had a lot going in within it but it did not add up to the clean taste I expect from this style. The sweetness and the florals did not mesh the way I have seen in others in the style. I will pass.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A: pours a murkey dark orange (perhaps dry hop haze) with a big creamy off-white/orangish head that stays put with superb lacing all the way down the glass

S: Good solid malt backbone of caramel. There is a dark raison character perhaps from some darker crystal additions. There is a wonderful spicy, citrusy american hope aroma

T: woodsy, piney, and citrus american hop flavors hit you right off the bat. A pronounced hop bitterness that is seamlessly balanced with the malt background. There is an initial malty sweetness followed by some caramel and an ever so slight toasted note. Again I get the raison note here (darker crystal malts?).

M: Finish is dry with some lingering hop flavors. Medium body with no astringency

D: Very drinkable. This is a very underrated style in my opinion. When done right its a perfect showcase for the best of both worlds, hops and malt. This is a very excellent example of the style and one that you could drink several pints of.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint on tap at the crows nest in Santa Cruz. This brew is a very attractive copper with an orangish hue. Clear and served without a head. Aromas of slightly toasted barley and a bit of orange like fruitiness. Flavor is fresh and crisp. Clean toasted slightly sweet malt up front with a nice fruity hop finish-slightly bittering. Mouthfeel is light bodied and medium high carbonated. Overall this is a well done beer-clean and crisp with plenty of flavor.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz can poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Pours a nice haze red to amber as per style, with a small creamy light brown head. Nose is fairly malty and vegital with no hops at all.

Taste is a bit resinous and piny, but not fruity or fresh. The malt is sweet, like dark caramel and toffee. Mouthfeel is big, smooth and creamy. Quite tasty and drinkable.

Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company