Boont Amber Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Boont Amber AleBoont Amber Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,374 | Reviews: 548

1.44/5  rDev -62.4%

Reviewed from notes:

Color was a rich amber color. Smell of dirty dish towels and burnt sugar and malt. Taste was burnt wood and and a sweet unappealing malt combo. The aftertaste was worse. The initial taste was bad and stayed with me even the next day after brushing my teeth and eating. Cant help but wonder if its a bad bottle or just bad product. Too cautious to try again. Almost wrote off amber completely.

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

2.15/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours a coppery orange amber colour, with a very good head of pale, off-white bubbles. Lacing is also good, forming in patchy circles. Clarity of the body is excellent—all up, in fact, it's an excellent looking beer.

Nose is slightly sharp and metallic, with an underlying cloying fruit sweetness, a little like green bananas. Hint of acidity to it as well, giving a whiff of slightly rank stomach acid. Ew. Is there something wrong with this bottle?

Taste is similar. Slightly rank unripe banana character with a mealy cereal mid-palate and a lingering melange of copper and sugar. Feel is grainy but persistent, with that sugar coating on the back sticking around for way too long.

Wow. I'm really suitably unimpressed with this. It's cloying, sugary and altogether rather unpleasant. Given how widespread this is, I was expecting something at least mild and inoffensive, but this genuinely not something I want to drink often, if at all.

2.18/5  rDev -43.1%

Served from tap into a sampler tunbler. Poured red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was of sweet malt, jolly rancher, and hair salon. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, nutmeg, jolly rancher, and wet permed hair (WTF!?!?!?). It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall I was not a fan of this one. What the Hell was up with the hair characteristics in the aroma and flavor of this one? I should have known not to drink it by getting hair salon in the aroma, but nooo, I had to do it anyways. Blah. I won't be having this one again for sure. Still better than the one where I got burnt hair flavors in it.

2.19/5  rDev -42.8%

12oz can. Pours a clear light amber with a medium rocky off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet treacly caramel malts, maple and molasses with some toasted malt.

The flavor is the same as the nose - sweet treacly caramel and molasses with some maple and toasted malt and a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, way too sweet for me. I didn't really care for the maple and toasted malts. I can see this as a solid amber, but it totally didn't work for me.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.26/5  rDev -41%

Pours a dark amber color with a slim amount of off white fluffy head. Very little lacing left behind on this one.
Smell is of sweet malt, some grapes and raisin in the aroma as well. Taste is of grapes, and prune juice. I had to taste again and yep, I really did not like the flavor. Mouthfeeling is crisp, but does not make up for the flavor. I have no idea what was going on with this one.

2.39/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into pint glass. Next to no head, no lacing. Good reddish-orange color. Smells of hops, pine, and citrus. My initial taste was almost orangy... further on, there's something that's faintly soapy. The mouthfeel is pretty standard, the carbonation is good though. Overall, I can't get over the soapy taste... I would try this again to see if maybe it was just me just this time.

2.49/5  rDev -35%

Appearance - Hazy copper with off white foamy/soapy head. Decent 1 1/2 finger head that stuck around for a few minutes and left a nice bit of lacing before settling to a thin ring.

Smell - Not much more than caramel malts. Not much more.

Taste - Getting a sweet malt flavor. Started out pleasant but the lack of complexity got boring. No hop bitterness. I love malty beers but this became almost cloying and flat as the carbonation seemed to back off.

Mouthfeel - Started out medium with decent carbonation. After a few swirls to revive the head, the beer almost felt flat.

Drinkability - Not very good. Too sweet In my opinion. I wanted to like this one. Based on the reviews by others...it sounded great. It did not come off that way.

Overall - Not impressed. This was ranked highly and I enjoy ambers. I was looking for a staple to add to my rotation.I am glad I have such regional choices as Bell's, Founders, Goose Island, Sprechers, and New Glarus brewing nearby. I can rely on them for the majority of my sessionable stuff.

2.49/5  rDev -35%

Hazy orange amber, soft white head, some lacing.

Sweet red amber aroma. Cherry, caramel, slight hops in there that are a bit hard to place.

Hard to explain this one. Sweet, followed by hops and sour flavors. Very much a sour dough hop malt mix. Rather interesting. Alcohol in there but rather subdued. Very well balanced so nothing jumps out. Reminds me a lot of stone pale ale, a bit more sour but it has that same overly balanced flavor. It's odd...west coast IPAs get credit for being super hoppy. Well their pales seem to lack that kiss of hops to finish that I think makes many pale ales truly great.

A touch heavy especially at 5.8%. I was expecting it over 6% for sure. The carbonation really does make this a fun beer to drink. The body actually is fine in feel, but I don't feel like I'd want 3-4 of these and for a pale I that should be my desire.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

On tap at the Linwood Grill.

Appearance is a deep amber, moderate head, very good lacing. Smell is very sour and rancid, like rotting fruit or the vacuum cleaner when you haven't changed the bag in years. I don't know if the tap line was dirty or the keg old - I'd expect a place like Linwood would keep extremely fresh beer. Taste was slightly sweet, malty and fruity. Pretty flavorful but not too complex. It was pretty average. Not the best amber I've had, I'd like to try it again in bottle form as the freshness of the beer might have been in doubt.

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company