Boont Amber Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Boont Amber AleBoont Amber Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boont Amber Ale Alström Bros

1.4/5  rDev -63.4%

Reviewed from notes:

Color was a rich amber color. Smell of dirty dish towels and burnt sugar and malt. Taste was burnt wood and and a sweet unappealing malt combo. The aftertaste was worse. The initial taste was bad and stayed with me even the next day after brushing my teeth and eating. Cant help but wonder if its a bad bottle or just bad product. Too cautious to try again. Almost wrote off amber completely.

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

Served from tap into a sampler tunbler. Poured red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was of sweet malt, jolly rancher, and hair salon. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, nutmeg, jolly rancher, and wet permed hair (WTF!?!?!?). It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall I was not a fan of this one. What the Hell was up with the hair characteristics in the aroma and flavor of this one? I should have known not to drink it by getting hair salon in the aroma, but nooo, I had to do it anyways. Blah. I won't be having this one again for sure. Still better than the one where I got burnt hair flavors in it.

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a coppery orange amber colour, with a very good head of pale, off-white bubbles. Lacing is also good, forming in patchy circles. Clarity of the body is excellent—all up, in fact, it's an excellent looking beer.

Nose is slightly sharp and metallic, with an underlying cloying fruit sweetness, a little like green bananas. Hint of acidity to it as well, giving a whiff of slightly rank stomach acid. Ew. Is there something wrong with this bottle?

Taste is similar. Slightly rank unripe banana character with a mealy cereal mid-palate and a lingering melange of copper and sugar. Feel is grainy but persistent, with that sugar coating on the back sticking around for way too long.

Wow. I'm really suitably unimpressed with this. It's cloying, sugary and altogether rather unpleasant. Given how widespread this is, I was expecting something at least mild and inoffensive, but this genuinely not something I want to drink often, if at all.

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

12oz can. Pours a clear light amber with a medium rocky off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet treacly caramel malts, maple and molasses with some toasted malt.

The flavor is the same as the nose - sweet treacly caramel and molasses with some maple and toasted malt and a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, way too sweet for me. I didn't really care for the maple and toasted malts. I can see this as a solid amber, but it totally didn't work for me.

2.17/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a dark amber color with a slim amount of off white fluffy head. Very little lacing left behind on this one.
Smell is of sweet malt, some grapes and raisin in the aroma as well. Taste is of grapes, and prune juice. I had to taste again and yep, I really did not like the flavor. Mouthfeeling is crisp, but does not make up for the flavor. I have no idea what was going on with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.3/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into pint glass. Next to no head, no lacing. Good reddish-orange color. Smells of hops, pine, and citrus. My initial taste was almost orangy... further on, there's something that's faintly soapy. The mouthfeel is pretty standard, the carbonation is good though. Overall, I can't get over the soapy taste... I would try this again to see if maybe it was just me just this time.

2.45/5  rDev -36%

Appearance - Hazy copper with off white foamy/soapy head. Decent 1 1/2 finger head that stuck around for a few minutes and left a nice bit of lacing before settling to a thin ring.

Smell - Not much more than caramel malts. Not much more.

Taste - Getting a sweet malt flavor. Started out pleasant but the lack of complexity got boring. No hop bitterness. I love malty beers but this became almost cloying and flat as the carbonation seemed to back off.

Mouthfeel - Started out medium with decent carbonation. After a few swirls to revive the head, the beer almost felt flat.

Drinkability - Not very good. Too sweet In my opinion. I wanted to like this one. Based on the reviews by others...it sounded great. It did not come off that way.

Overall - Not impressed. This was ranked highly and I enjoy ambers. I was looking for a staple to add to my rotation.I am glad I have such regional choices as Bell's, Founders, Goose Island, Sprechers, and New Glarus brewing nearby. I can rely on them for the majority of my sessionable stuff.

Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company