Boont Amber Ale - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Boont Amber AleBoont Amber Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boont Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Great beer. I'd love to hang at a bar and drink these til I couldn't drink anymore. Nice smooth taste, but not that unique. If you're looking for a one of a kind beer this probably isn't it, but would fit well with any mixed variety of beers. If I saw it in a pile I'd pick it up. Especially impresses withed shape.

bheilman, Oct 26, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours amber orange with thick sticky white head.

Aroma is pale and caramel malt. Earthy, with a mild yeasty character.

Taste is similar to the nose. Caramel malt matched with an earthy yeasty quality. Hints of nut and light tropical fruit. Finish is slightly metallic and has an off flavor that doesn't seem to meld with everything else.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth and soft.

Overall this one is OK, but nothing to get excited about.

Blakaeris, Oct 12, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a nice dark amber with a thick bubbly head, long lasting and sticky.

The smell is light and slightly sweet with a touch of brown sugar and toasted grain and a bit of pine.

The flavor is light and grainy with nice toasted bready malts, has a bit of light malty sweetness and a lightly minty and lemon finish.

The mouthfeel is light and bubbly with lots of carbonation on the palette with just a touch of oily lingering.

A good, but very typical American Amber, worth drinking, but nothing that separates it from the crowd.

bashiba, Oct 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A: snifter. nice copper/mahogany color, very clear. nice light tan head. decent head retention and nice lacing.

S: fruity caramel malts, light earthy hop notes, but nothing huge. big malt notes. apples.

T: Some fruity and caramel flavors. very earthy tones, like light woods. very tea like. good amber. some cocoa in the aftertaste.

M: mild carbonation. light bodied. very smooth.

T: extremely drinkable. ridiculously smooth. the most drinkable amber I have had yet.

paulthebeerguru, Sep 22, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- Nice amber color with a white/brown head that fizzed away rather quickly

S-Sweet scent caramel maybe but something else....

T-Nice crisp taste that isnt too strong

M-very smooth going down with just a small hint of alcohol.

D-Nice abv something you can partake all night

choyhosoi, Sep 08, 2008

Pours a clouded amber. Nose use malty with some caramel. Flavor is wads of caramel. Malt on the backside. Nice and thick. Robust and lasts for a while. Heavy, heavy caramel though. Real smooth feel on all ends. Nice to drink. Well bodied and consistent. A good one.

RblWthACoz, Sep 03, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a clear dark amber/copper color. Somewhat fluffy tannish head that falls to a ring with thin whisps.
Aromas of caramel, brown sugar, dried figs and raisins. Hop aroma is light, but some pine and grass are present.
Brown sugar comes through more in the taste, followed by the caramel and fruit. Again, somewhat lower in hops than usual for a West Coast beer. Mostly piney hops seem to come through. As the beer warms, hints of green apple peel come through.
Medium bodied. A little oily which is surprising given how low in hops the beer tastes.
Very drinkable. Great flavors help make this a good all night drinker.
Great gateway beer, or even just a great beer to enjoy anytime. My wife and I loved this beer when we lived in CA and are glad we got another chance to have this again.

gabeerfan, Aug 30, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a from the bottle into a pint glass

A: The appearance is very clear amber, kind of a real dark copper, with a nice ivory head. This actually resembles newcastle very much.

S: Caramel. Caramel. Caramel. The scent really shines through along with some brown sugar.

T: The caramel slaps you in the face right away, and I love it! There are some other spices in there as well, but I pick up some brown sugar notes.

Overall, one of the best Ambers I have had. The flavors blend so well together and the caramel flavor is almost unrivaled.

treyrab, Aug 19, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Amber to almost brown, with some ruby red highlights. A slightly offwhite and creamy head with rather large bursting bubble clumps.

S: Floral and slightly citrus hops, slight fruit scents - primarily apple peel, and a touch of caramel maltiness.

T: Mild citrus fruit - like Tangerine Jr. kinda flavours. Fruit peel flavours like in the aroma, with a sugary-sweet kiss of malts. A bit of a shortbread cookie taste in there, complete with the sprinkling of sugar.

M + D: A smooth drinking round, medium body. Just enough stick to leave a lasting impression on the way down. A very decent brew - this could potentially become a staple of my selection at some point.

Proteus93, Aug 18, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark, cloudy red with a reddish white head of 2-fingers. Retention is very nice. Lacing is good. Solid appearance.

S: Fruit, sweet caramel malt, even some hops. Not a bad smell at all. Hops smell flowery and fresh.

T: Dark fruit, some banana, and caramel dominant, backed by a nice bitter hop flavor. Cloying from the fruit. Aftertaste is a toasted bread flavor, and the bitterness stays. It's a little too sugary and cloying for me.

M: Oily, medium-heavy bodied, nice carbonation. Non-astringent.

D: Drinks alright, but if it wasn't so darn cloying, it would go down much easier. I don't think I can finish it.

ralree, Aug 12, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Now this is an amber ale for me, nice quality. Reddish brown color with a decent head leaving trace amounts of lacing. Aroma is not extremely intense, but it is sturdy sweet with caramel and a light hop aroma very enticing. Fresh and satisfying to the palate a real good feel to this one. Flavor is incredibly balanced. Tons of malt in this one and just the right amount of mild hops. Perhaps one of the most balanced beers ever to cross my lips. Great Amber, sweet and yummy a pure delight.

kinger, Aug 05, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Take this review with a grain of salt. My allergies have been giving me grief tonight, so I may be a bit out of calibration.

Appearance: I overpoured it just a tiny bit as I could see where the line of yeast was from the last little swig that I gave the glass. Oops! The rest of the beer was a clear burnt orange color that poured with an inviting 1/2" head of tan bubbles that was every bit of half it's original height a minute after the pour. A portion of the head remained on the beer the whole time I was drinking it.

Aroma: I initially got an inviting bouquet of fresh floral hops in the nose. After the head settles a bit, the hops are still there and are supported by lots of toastiness in the malt department. As I get deeper into the aroma, I can even start to pick up cherry notes. It has a very nice aroma overall.

Taste: The flavor is pretty mild and follows the aroma pretty closely. You get an initial blast of floral flavoring hops to go with toasty malt. The beer leads into the finish without much of a struggle at all, and the malt slightly dominates the finish. There are bittering hops in there, but they don't challenge the malt until long after the sip you can pick up a slight residual bitterness on the back of the throat that I think is aided by some roast grains. There is ample carbonation in here to make the beer glide across your palate a little too easily.

Opinion: This is a pretty darn good Amber Ale, and probably one of the best that I have had. I prefer a beer that tips toward the malt, and this one certainly does. There is quite a bit of complexity to the malt, and the hops let them come out and show their stuff. Even after the beer warms up, it is still a very drinkable brew and I would certainly drink it again.

SkeeterHawk, Aug 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

When poured from the bottle there was a slight 1 ginger foamy head that formed, then quickly dissipated. Color was and orange/brown color that had some really bright highlights if that's the proper description. The beer was rather hazy or cloudy. (I think I opened it while too cold as it did clear considerably as I enjoyed the beer.)

The aroma was a pleasant mix of two forces. A caramel/ sweet candy aroma and a slightly fruity hop aroma. Very nice aroma.

This is a great tasting beer and again I am struck as my tastes develop and I love some of these Ambers and Red now. Perhaps I am just discovering higher quality versions, but I really enjoyed this. As trite as it sounds, this is a perfectly balanced beer for my tastes and the style. There are certainly an abundance of caramel/toffee notes with a touch of vanilla. At the same time and staying on the scene are nice fruity fresh notes from the hops and a nice light bitterness that plays well with the sweetness.

After thinking I may have opened the beer a little too cold, I let it settle and warm a bit. It was wonderful and I think I did myself a favor.

Mouth feel was just below what I'd consider medium bodied, but certainly not light in body. Very, very drinkable beer.

Excellent beer and one I will have again. I can see drinking a couple as I watch the Patriots this fall. I am sad to report I only bought a single bottle to try. I will head back for more eventually.

Reagan1984, Jul 30, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

22-ounce bottle poured into a pint nonic glass yields a deep reddish-copper body capped with a hefty two fingers of pale ecru foam that recedes very slowly and leaves sheer bands of lacing on the glass.

Smell is nutty and toasty with a whiff of brown sugar and sweetened iced tea.

Taste is of toasty caramel and fruity with notes soft red apples and ripe plum, finished with just a touch of crisp bitterness. Somewhat nutty and a touch sticky, the warming drink lingers on the palate.

Really smooth and nicely drinkable.

cvstrickland, Jul 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +7%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful deep amber in the glass, with a huge billowing head that unfortunately doesn't last. Minimal but clumpy lacing left around the glass.

Smell: A nicely balanced fruity malt backbone with some more defined and effervescent citrus hops.

Taste: Balanced malt backbone with earthier flavors and brighter fruit, strawberries and darker berries, bread crust, earthy and herbal hops with a finish that lets some more of the pungent citrus and grapefruit elements in, along with some fruit. A solid and balanced amber.

Mouthfeel: More medium than light-bodied, with full carbonation becoming nicely spritzy at the end.

Drinkability: One of the better ambers I've had lately. A nice malt backbone balanced by citrus hops without anything going out of control either way. Full, delicious, highly balanced and drinkable.

asabreed, Jul 16, 2008

12oz standard brown glass bottle with a pry-off cap. Ruby gold semi transparent body with a tan tiny to small bubbled head. Great retention and good lace.
Sweet light caramel scent. Mild spice, nut, pine and treebark. Spiced caramel with a good pine hop presence. Harsh and rough. Grain and vegetables. The aftertaste is rough grain and hops, long lived and strong.
Medium body with a bit of coating and some residual sugars.
Good drinkability.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Jul 10, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear amber copper color with a thin head.

Smells of sweet malts, reminiscent of a bock beer. Hops are buried in the sweetness of the nose.

Taste follows suit. Burnt/toasted malts overwhelm the flavor and finish of this brew. Toasted, biscuity malts. All in all a decent brew, just not quite what I expected. Good drinkability, somewhat sweet.

HalfFull, Jun 30, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Anderson Valley always makes a good offering, what do you expect from inbred people with their own language?

Pours a big head with a beautiful golden orange color with bubbles, bubbles, bubbles.

Smell some malts, but mostly cut grass macro smell.

Tastes sweet, like an alcoholic version of werthers originals.

Leaves a crisp yet semi sweet aftertaste.

Pretty good stuff.

Murchmac, Jun 17, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

Excellent amber ale that is darker than most.

A: Dark red, bordering on brown.
S: Sweet caramel, fruit
T: Sweet caramel, bold fruit, not many hops
M: Medium body, a little creamy
5: Very drinkable, and user friendly

Overall, a little on the soft side in hops, but still complex enough to be very enjoyable. Malt driven with lots of sweet fruit flavors, with just enough hops to provide balance. Overall, one of my favorite ambers.

Surefire, Jun 14, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at 99 Bottles in Santa Cruz. Poured into a pint glass. Deep amber with a tan head that sticks around forever.

Aroma is sweet and caramely, with toffee and cookie-ish malt. Hardly any hop influence here, surprising for a California amber.

Flavor is identical to the smell. Lots of sweet bready malt and maybe some dark fruit.

Mouthfeel is creamy but a little flat. Still pretty easy to drink.

illidurit, May 29, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Light brown color, semi-transparent, one finger thick fluffy cream color head that faded slowly to a thin cover, some bubbles rising throughout

S- Earthy hops, grains, light malts, fruity, slightly flowery

T- Creamy, light malts, cirtus hops, toasted grains, sweet, hint of caramel

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, creamy,

D- Definitely worth buying again

I really liked this amber ale. It is very well balanced between the malt and hops.

iceball585, May 23, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my first review of this beer (my first time trying it).

Poured mildly cloudy, very amber, with quickly dissipating head.

The aroma is the weakness of this beer. With my nose deep in the glass a smell of mild malt is achieved.

The taste brought a nice mild biscuit flavor in the front t followed with a balanced hop flavor on the back. There is just a slight lingering of flavor once swallowed.

This beer shines in the area of mouthfell. The carbonation and body of this beer is perfect for the style.

Compared to the monster west coast beers we have been enjoying over the past few years this is a very drinkable beer. It is easly one of the most balanced session beers I have had in a while

cs45977, May 21, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy amber with thin off-white head that stays.

The smell is of strong caramel. Some (peach?) fruitiness comes through. As it progresses a touch of citrus also comes through, as does a touch of roastiness. A bit mustyish, with a sweetish finish.

It is medium-bodied.

To me, it seems not much more than a run-of-the-mill amber that can be found in a typical brewpub. Just my opinion, though.

jwc215, May 21, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -7.3%

Forgive me if I write this like a noob. That's because I am a noob.

This beer poured into a deep amber color with a small white head. Not to impressed with the head as I've seen bigger heads on some beers (seen smaller to). Took the first sip while the head was still present. I could feel the fizz in the head on my upper lip. While sipping this beer it didn't have a strong taste. Kind of a mild, smooth tasting beer. As I drank the beer some more I could swear some of the lacing was sparkling, even without holding up to direct light. Overall this is a decent beer. I've had worse, I've had better. If you see this beer, at least give it a try.

P.S. Sorry for the short review. I'm not a beer drinking professional.

K270, May 20, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I love this beer. I recently spent $10 for a six pack online.

It has a great taste with a hoppy flavor. You can really taste a mild fruit that increases in every taste. On draft it has a great carmel color and great smell.

In the bottle you have little head/light head. But it still has the great hoppy taste!

Leebo2007, May 15, 2008