Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel StoutAnderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: tempest on 10-27-2012

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Anderson Valley's Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout last week for $10.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for another barrel aged beer to take to a tasting and since I've never had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple, but it goes well with this name and it's not too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was close to being black and it took on some crimson like highlights when held to the light with a finger and a half of tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S= The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed with the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts a slightly boozy bourbon aroma with not much oak or vanilla coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, light chocolate and light grainy aromas. The aroma was decent, but I wish it had better balance, the bourbon easily sticks out the most.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspect that it did in the aroma with the boozy bourbon being the flavor that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with a watery malt flavor coming through. On the finish there was just a little bitterness with a slight malt and boozy bourbon aftertaste. The taste was ok, I thought it was unbalanced and the watery malts easily got overpowered by the bourbon.

M- Not the smoothest, crisp, a little watery, on the somewhat lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but i wish it didn't feel so watery.

Overall I thought this beer was ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of a Bourbon Barrel aged Stout, the stout base was thin, watery and not to flavorful and it got overpowered by the bourbon. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste couldn't hold my attention, one glass was more than enough for me, a whole bottle would be too much. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a pretty nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it wasn't good and the stout base needed to be beefed up a little to balance out all those boozy bourbon flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it, I just don't think it's a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and in the end it left me wanting a lot more out of the stout base, I thought it was odd that a beer under 7% feltso boozy. So far this is now my least favorite beer from Anderson valley and it's on the lower end of the scale as far as the style goes. I appreciate the effort, but this beer needs some work, better luck next time guys.

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

This pours a cola color with cocoa foam. I found it had a somewhat prominent, albeit light, rootbeer aroma and a muddled bourbon and rootbeer aftertaste. Thin mouthfeel for what it promises.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

Honestly tastes like a watered down bourbon. Not a whole lot like beer.
Oo

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company