Join our email list →

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel StoutAnderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Stout | 6.90% ABV

Beer added by: tempest on 10-27-2012

Aged for three months in Wild Turkey® Bourbon barrels, this luxurious stout has a deep ebony hue and a beautiful mahogany head. The woody, vanilla-like notes imparted by the barrels mingle with aromas of fresh baked bread, toffee, and espresso and envelop the rich chocolate and roasted barley flavors with a fine bourbon character.
Reviews: 229 | Hads: 1,456
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Not real often you come across a barrel aged stout that's comes in under 7% abv but carries this much flavor and mouthfeel! I love it. Not a huge wild turkey fan myself, and the specific character of the whiskey comes through a lot in this beer, but it seems to work. Frothy look, soft grayish brown head on a dark chocolate colored body with good viscosity and so e clinging density. Nose is whiskey first, thin vanilla and booze, with sweet oak, milk chocolate, and derived fruit, maybe raisin leading the way in the flavor. Oats might froth this up a little, chocolate malt is robust, and the oak is long lasting in the finish. It's great because all the booze and body of the huge imperials is here, right there to enjoy from first sip, but it never gets hit and heavy, allowing me to consume way more of this than I could some imperial. Props to Anderson valley for putting this one together, it's perfect this time of year! A touch of acidity in the finish is my only complaint

Thinner then I was expecting from a stout. It drinks smooth and creamy. The flavor of Wild Turkey is very noticable.

I would describe this as a very sessionable Bourbon. Maybe not what I would expect from a stout, but on the whole a very enjoyable drink.

3.11/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark chestnut colored with a beige head that sizzles as it rises up, and recedes quickly. Low aroma of bourbon and dark malt. Rich flavor of darkly toasted malt, not roasty. Subtle woody notes, bourbon hints, and vanilla. bourbon is understated. No hop flavor, but firm bitterness offsets the malt. Somewhat thin body, dry and talcy, a carbonation tingle finishes. Woody notes linger. Good, but not great.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

This one was difficult to rate. Many bourbon barrel stouts are so high on the ABV there is a lot more going on. This one is smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. The barrel notes do shine through and mix well with the already sweet taste. I like this beer but it's not amazing. Something I might drink as a stout I can have a handful of. Worth giving a try

3.06/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Anderson Valley's Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout last week for $10.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for another barrel aged beer to take to a tasting and since I've never had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple, but it goes well with this name and it's not too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was close to being black and it took on some crimson like highlights when held to the light with a finger and a half of tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S= The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed with the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts a slightly boozy bourbon aroma with not much oak or vanilla coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, light chocolate and light grainy aromas. The aroma was decent, but I wish it had better balance, the bourbon easily sticks out the most.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the bourbon barrel being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspect that it did in the aroma with the boozy bourbon being the flavor that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with a watery malt flavor coming through. On the finish there was just a little bitterness with a slight malt and boozy bourbon aftertaste. The taste was ok, I thought it was unbalanced and the watery malts easily got overpowered by the bourbon.

M- Not the smoothest, crisp, a little watery, on the somewhat lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but i wish it didn't feel so watery.

Overall I thought this beer was ok at best and I thought it was a very average example of a Bourbon Barrel aged Stout, the stout base was thin, watery and not to flavorful and it got overpowered by the bourbon. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, crisp, a little watery, not filling and the taste couldn't hold my attention, one glass was more than enough for me, a whole bottle would be too much. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a pretty nice looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it wasn't good and the stout base needed to be beefed up a little to balance out all those boozy bourbon flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it, I just don't think it's a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and in the end it left me wanting a lot more out of the stout base, I thought it was odd that a beer under 7% feltso boozy. So far this is now my least favorite beer from Anderson valley and it's on the lower end of the scale as far as the style goes. I appreciate the effort, but this beer needs some work, better luck next time guys.

3.26/5  rDev -13.3%

This pours a cola color with cocoa foam. I found it had a somewhat prominent, albeit light, rootbeer aroma and a muddled bourbon and rootbeer aftertaste. Thin mouthfeel for what it promises.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip on 05.09.14.

A: Midnight black with some red at the bottom. Tan 2 finger head. Great lacing.

S: Vanilla, caramel. I could smell it from an arm's length away while pouring. Magnificent!

T: Vanilla, caramel, bourbon dominate. Very slight char is there too as well as milk chocolate.

M: Creamy smooth. A bit watery but the ABV is very low for a BB stout, so whatever.

O: This was my first BB stout. I'm an addict now because of this one. The vanilla, caramel, and bourbon are strong. It is surprisingly complex. The ABV is low, but there is always Huge Arker for something heavier in the mouth.

Rating: A

4.1/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer pours very dark brown in color, with an oily slickness to it, and forms a large dark brown head, with pillowy foam. Aroma is not particularly roasty, hoppy, or otherwise beery, but is distinctly of oaky bourbon. Flavor is like sipping fine bourbon. Creamy, smooth, low alcohol / zero burn bourbon. As a stout, this is pretty unremarkable, and fulfills the requirement perfunctorily with the right color. But as a vehicle for sweet vanilla oak barrel flavor, this is quite a lot of fun.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

Appearance: Black body with a tan head, lots of foam and lacing.

Smell: Bourbon, vanilla, cigar boxes, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and smooooth.

The Verdict: Awesome. It’s not in the league of Firestone’s Sucaba, but it’s right up there in the same neighborhood. Smooth, complex, and delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

Big bourbon barrel nose, chocolate, vanilla, coffee
Pours brilliant coffee black under a 2" tan head that dissipates at a moderate rate to a thick film, lacy.
Palate: Wild Turkey, coffee, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla. Long lingering aftertastes.
Very creamy body, medium full, very fine soft carbonation, above average.

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip pint.

a: Opaque black with a tro inch tall tan head which receded slowly to thick even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Bourbon.and dark chocolate.

t: Bourbon with chocolate notes, followed by a smoky dark malt finish which lingers at first. Becomes more bourbon dominated later.

m: Rather light for a stout and considering its dense black visual.

o At first not quite as bourbon dominated as the aroma and initial taste suggested. Easy drinking. The light mouthfeel at first distracts a bit from the drinking experience, but the persistent bourbon flavor grows more enjoyable to the point you don't mind iof the mouthfeel is light.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours out a beautiful black color with a tan head that quickly retreats to a thin but lasting lace. The aroma is coffee and chocolate and the taste is dominated by dark chocolate. Not much bourbon flavor considering how flavorful Wild Turkey Bourbon is. The mouthfeel is very smooth with low but sufficient carbonation. Overall a decent entry.

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

From notes on 3/6/14

On tap at Brews Brothers. Mild aroma of chocolate and bourbon. Nice dark color. Has a slightly carbonated taste similar to Coke. Can tell it is wild turkey. Really has that alcohol taste. All right beer. Prefer some of the barrel aged beers in the great lakes region more.

22 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of caramel-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed a few wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Nice aromas of roasted malt, a little smoke, some vanilla, a little oak, and lots of brown sugar, but unfortunately, not much aromas of bourbon or whiskey.

Taste: Nice! Strong flavors of roasted malt and brown sugar-like sweetness. I get notes of vanilla, some dark chocolate, a touch of licorice, and as the beer warms, more and more flavors of bourbon coming through.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and smooth as hell as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 6.9%, I’m surprised at how low the alcohol level is, as I’m expecting higher ABVs in barrel-aged stouts.

Overall: This is a good, solid bourbon-barrel aged stout, but not a great one. There are some good flavors of malt and sweetness and some bourbon too, but it’s not as strong as some other, better, bourbon barrel-aged stouts out there. Still, it’s worth a drink when you want a bourbon barrel-aged stout but don’t want to get a full buzz or drunk on!

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

I really like this beer, one of my favorites. Strong and sorta smooth at the same time. Nice aroma and the aftertaste is bourbony. LOVE IT! Their pumpkin variation is incredibly good too btw.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

On tap at Empire Slice House OKC. Pours a dark brown with a finger of creamy mocha head that recedes quickly. The tap is pretty cold, so there's not a lot of aroma. You can definitely smell the bourbon, some chocolate and coffee. The bourbon predominates the taste, and is a bit much. Some dark chocolate and red plums sneak their way in. Really, really boozy. Medium mouth, but not a lot of oil. The aftertaste disappears quickly. Did I mention it's a bourbon first brew? It really loses any sense of balance as it warms. I'm not likely to revisit this one soon.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

A- medium black with a decent tan head.
S- chocolate, bourbon, a little roast. Decent but nothing terribly complex
T- Kind of a struggle here. A very brief hint of chocolate and roasted malt before the bourbon kicks in. It's fairly easy to not pick up much other than the bourbon. Really not much in the finish as the MF doesn't let it linger.
M- Too thin, more like a black ale, but maybe even thin for that
O- this beer adds to my suspicion that low abv stouts and bourbon don't mix. Velvet merkin was better but not by a significant margin. Basically the beer itself acts mostly a conduit for the bourbon flavor. And whatever flavor the beer does have doesn't mesh terribly well with the bourbon. Gotta give them credit for shooting for a low abv BA stout at a reasonable price, but just doesn't get there. [Edit: got a bit better at room temp, but still closer to mediocre.]

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Export version from the Netherlands; bottle simply reads "Bourbon Barrel Stout" without a mention of Wild Turkey, contains the same alcohol content, and a different background image of what looks like a bear. I believe this is the same beer though. Bought a bomber bottle of this from Tanakaya in Mejiro, Tokyo, Japan. Poured into a pint class. Awesome chocolate foam and a thick, wonderful mouthfeel to this, but it really lets me down as far as "bourbon barrel stouts" go. There was not much in the nose to excite, and while the taste was pleasant, I was hoping for more. I enjoyed this beer, but it would not make my top rankings of barrel-aged stouts.

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a case for the restaurant that I work for after going to a trade show where AVBC was showing this off. At first I was kind of dismissive because there are a lot of these Bourbon Barrel Stouts showing up and i just logged it away with another one trick pony like some of the rest. So I visited a few other tables and then found myself standing back in front of this display, so I gave in. The nose was all Wild Turkey, that sweet, warm, toasty smell. I fully prepared myself for the same on the palate and was so delighted to have this delicious, delightfully bitter stout greet my taste buds. the finish is long and that is where the Wild Turkey showed up again. I am usually more open minded to beer and I immediately kicked myself for initially passing this one over. So I would say overall this a joy of a brew that I immediately ordered so that I had it available for myself whenever I want it.

2.76/5  rDev -26.6%

It's a good beer, but very bland indeed. I have had trader joe's stout that had better/intense aroma and flavor than this beer. The smell is aromatic, but not at the same level as other barrel stouts I have tried. I will give this beer a try again to make sure that this review I am posting is sane and by no means I was biased in this review.

3.09/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Drank from my Mane liquor tulip

A - Pours a deep cola colour with a tanned head that reduces to a film

S - Molasses, wood oak and bourbon

T - Up front some nice bourbon notes, followed by some vanilla the finish is molasses and booze

M - Medium to full body with low carbonation

O - A little thin in body to be a heavy hitting BA stout. The carbonation is also a little too much. The finish is also rather uninspring

A great beer, just needs to be a little thicker/richer. Flavors are awesome ... the bourbon notes really stand out, both in taste and smell. It pours beautifully ... nice color and wonderfully formed head. It just seems like it should be stronger/starker.

3.76/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown, essentially opaque, with a half finger of tan head and fairly low visible carbonation.

S: Bourbon, oak, vanilla and chocolate, with hints of dark fruit and leather.

T: Bourbon, chocolate, deep roasted malts, vanilla, oak, and a bit of coffee flavors. Finishes with barrel dryness countered by chocolate malt sweetness.

M: Mouthfeel is perhaps a bit light for style, but the impression is even thinner since the flavor profile (especially the barrel-aging) conjures expectations of a big Imperial Stout. Very well-carbonated, and the alcohol presence is restrained.

O: A perfectly acceptable beer, especially given the availability and reasonable price range. However, certainly fails when held to the high standards of other barrel-aged stouts out there. Worth a try for sure, and a good option if you're at a bar with limited choices on tap. Nothing I'd go far out of my way for, however.

3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours black color with a creamy 2 finger dark tan head that had a lot of popping bubbles, faded slowly and left good foamy lacing coating the sides, rings as it went down and a swampy layer on top.

Smells of bourbon, roasted grains, burnt coffee, chocolate and caramel or toffee; the bourbon and charred notes come through the strongest and the overall aroma is a lot lighter than I expected for a stout aged in Wild Turkey barrels. I’m not saying it smells bad, but just weaker than I anticipated.

Tastes likes it smells, with Wild Turkey/bourbon, cocoa powder, roasted grains, dark chocolate, burnt coffee, caramel, charred wood or oaky notes from the barrel aging, grassy herbal notes, and then some more Wild Turkey; the Wild Turkey seems to get stronger in aroma and taste as the beer warms, but it works well with the stout and the malt backbone and does not come off like a shot. The sweetness comes out more after sitting a while and warming, with brown sugar, vanilla, peat moss and chocolate licorice or anise trailing the bourbon and oaky notes; the alcohol is never menacing and always subtle and soft, which is a far cry from a shot of the dirty bird, but I like the way this works with the stout/grains/oats.

Mouthfeel is thin and almost too watery for a stout and much lighter than expected, but the taste is good and the carbonation is like a Guinness and almost flat, with enough flavor to carry it through to a bourbon tasting finish that has sweet vanilla and cocoa notes but then trails off grainy and kind of dry.

This beer is deceptive in many ways as it looks like it’s going to be this bad ass stout with a Wild Turkey kick, but then it hits you like a pillow, with soft complex flavors that come through a very light body and highlight the bourbon complexities without being obnoxiously in your face and overpowering. My friend Chris told me this was a great beer and he suggested that I try it, and I must say that I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was much easier to drink than I expected and the low ABV to me added to the overall experience and made this a very solid brew.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Good Luck in Rochester, NY.

Pours a fairly dark, basically opaque black (with brown tinges near the top that light could pass through), a half inch head, and a very small amount of lacing.

Smells like chocolate, roasted malt, cookie, and very mild bourbon.

The taste is fairly similar. This one reminds me of FW Velvet Merkin- a thinner, slightly watery "session" BA stout. There's a good amount of cookie dough flavor, some cocoa powder, slight roasty and espresso bitterness, and a sort of vanilla coffee creamer flavor as well. The bourbon is slight, and not noticeable in every sip. One of the mellowest BA stouts I've ever had, but it works here.

Medium bodied, fairly thin and watery mouthfeel for the style, but it is only 6.9% ABV. Low carbonation. Very drinkable.

This is not the most complex bourbon barrel aged stout I've ever had, but it's tasty, and drinkable, and doesn't fatigue you like some of the big boys do.

Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout from Anderson Valley Brewing Company