Fall Hornin' - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

good

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 08-16-2013)

Rojada1988, Dec 31, 2013

KeyWestGator, Dec 16, 2013

DruC4, Dec 13, 2013

BeerGod27, Dec 10, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a pin glass.

Appearance: Dark brown color with heavy bubbles o the body...off-white head with a slight orange tint to it rising to just under a finger's length.

Smell: Light pumpkin squash and light nutmeg, seriously just a touch.

Taste: Of course it tastes like pumpkin but comes off bitter and feels a bit more like a amber mixed with spoonful of light nutmeg. A slight sweet in the beginning but dissipates quickly.

Mouth: Carbonation is definitely medium to heavy. Not really that sticky if you ask me. Finish has feel of slight roasted hops.

Overall: Not a bad beer, very easy to drink but no where near the top of the food chain when it comes to pumpkin beers. It's good to have for the moment and definitely still better than some other beers that try "harder". Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Dec 06, 2013

bcapon, Dec 06, 2013

NonicPanic, Dec 04, 2013
4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft at The Lark, East Northport, New York.

Poured a deep amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured mild pumpkin spice, clean caramel and rind.

The taste was likewise softly spiced with a grainy malt and a round meaty pumpkin.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style with a dry finish.

Overall a very tasty and gourd forward punpkin ale.

plaid75, Dec 03, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Today is H, 05 Dec 2013 and if you CAN believe it, I was successful in finding a CAN to include in The CANQuest (TM)! I CAN hardly believe it, since I had kind of given up and resigned myself to next year's release.

From the CAN: "Bahl Hornin' since 1987"; "Solar Powered Brewery".

My Crack revealed a nice, brimful CAN that caused a little of it to splash out and spray across my fingertips like a happy puppy greeting its master. I utilized my Anderson Valley CAN-shaped glass for the inverted Glug and soon, I had two fingers of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep copper (SRM = > 22, < 27) with filament brightness! Sticky lacing began to form as the head fell and I was getting anxious for a sip. I was getting a LOT more cinnamon and cloves on this version than I did from the bottle version. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. Man, the cinnamon was prevalent on the tongue in this case, perhaps a little too much so. Finish was dry and a bit unbalanced in terms of the spices with the cinnamon getting top billing to the point that I felt like I tasted a bark-like woodiness. Bottom line: It is a decent example of the style and given my predilection for beers in a CAN, this would be my pick but YMMV.

My initial review of this, dtd F, 29 Nov 2013, will be for the bottled version, but you CAN bet that if I CAN find it in a CAN, it will be re-reviewed!

My pour netted me a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep copper (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Great lacing began to form as the head fell. The nose smelled like a Yankee candle, thanks to a heavy (seeming) presence of vanilla to go along with the other spices. I am unsure just how I feel about this as it is different, but I have also tried a LOT of different pumpkins this year and for this to just appear is wondrous. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I am beginning to wonder if that is not a construct of the spices interacting with the yeast in some way. It was not quite creamy, but it was on the approach. Cinnamon was the prevalent spice, but clove and ginger were also in the mix and so was the vanilla flavor noted on the nose. Finish was semi-dry with the malt getting a chance to offset the spices. Overall, it was better than many, but not as good as some. YMMV.

woodychandler, Nov 29, 2013

Chugs13, Nov 24, 2013

CampusCrew, Nov 22, 2013

reizorc, Nov 22, 2013

tfsimpkins, Nov 18, 2013

beernads, Nov 18, 2013

KevinDixonBeer, Nov 17, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A- a dark ruby color. Very different for a pumpkin beer. It almost has the hue of Manischewitz Wine. Nice foamy head. Excellent lacing.

S- It’s a unique cross between sweet pumpkin spice and there’s a background note of dark fruit. It’s like a harvest pumpkin beer meets Mad Elf. Plenty of allspice.

T- Sweet pumpkin pie flavor. Malty and spicy. A touch of bitter on the finish, almost hoppy.

M- A bit thin. Not a great body. Goes down without much carbonation bite.

O- It’s a nice change to see a darker pumpkin ale. I loved how it smelled. I found myself inhaling deep whiffs of this one. The initial flavor was good but after 2/3 of the bottle the palate kind of gets tired of it. Needs just a bit more body.

stckhndlr, Nov 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

DVictoryHeadwatersZ, Nov 13, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz can. Pours dark amber with off-white, long lasting, foamy head. Aroma is of pumpkin, caramel malt, spices and some piney hops. Body is medium and smooth. Taste is of pumpkin, caramel, spices and herbal, piney hops. Finish is long and astringent. I expected much more from this brew.

mikeg67, Nov 12, 2013