Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy GoseThe Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Gose |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: scottfrie on 09-24-2013

With a bright, golden color and tight creamy head, the earthy wood undertones in our Gose develop into a light mineral aroma with a hint of lemon zest and tropical fruit. Before boiling, the wort is kettle soured with lactobacillus, imparting an initial refreshing tartness that gives way to a subtle fullness. Flavors of guava and peach are followed by a slight sea salt dryness and lemon sourness that is enhanced by coriander and post-fermentation additions of salt. The finish is dry, effervescent, and lemon tangy, reminiscent of a fresh sea breeze.
Reviews: 224 | Hads: 1,770
4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

For its price and incredible taste, this has to be one of the very best sessionable beers out there. Other breweries could certainly learn something from Anderson Valley with this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

I will preface this by saying I do not like wheat beers. I generally don't like them anyway. I have not found many that worked for me. This one was a surprise. It was like a sour in a way, but salty, almost like a michelada but not really the lime and horrible beer combo that you get with those. This beer does have the coriander and wheat in there but the wheat rancid taste that I get from most of them is covered up. I attribute this to the possibly the salt. This is a very crisp well made beer. I have never tried this style previously, but I will be searching it out in the future. Hopefully they are all as well made as this one.

Opaque straw yellow in color. Like an adjunct lager with some haziness going on. Well really think of just about any wheat beer and you know where you are. Smell, zesty, sour but in a good way. I bet this beer would taste good with something like a Reuben sandwich.

Overall: Try it if you were hesitant, I am a stout and IPA fan. I like bold flavors. I enjoyed the interlude with this beer, its flavorful enough but crisp and one you could drink a few of without tiring quickly.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can, poured into a tulip glass at approximately 45 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale straw gold, similar to champagne - along with the attendant slew of bubbles and thick head of white foam. Carbonation streams through this beer as though it were customers headed for a 100% off sale on 65" super-high-def TVs. The head dissipates fairly quickly, and doesn't leave much lacing behind.

Smell: Light fruity notes, like citrus, pear, and melon, mingle with a faint funkiness and a solid wheat base.

Taste: Oh my. This opens with a citric lime-heavy tartness, buoyed by the expected salty backdrop, and then shades into a mixture of funk with the melon and pear from the nose, and perhaps a spot of green apple. The finish leaves a sort of lemongrass taste behind, mingled with the saltiness.

Mouthfeel: Light, effervescent, and eminently chuggable were it not for the tartness, this is a refreshing beer.

Overall: This is a tasty gose. I will definitely repeat this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tart city, bro.

I love it. This is a beer that takes a while to drink because it's so tart, but you want to savor it anyway because it tastes and smells so good. It's salty but in a refreshing way.

edit: formal review

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. The Kimmie The Yink and the Holy Gose Ale. 4.2% abv.

A: cloudy pale golden
S: excellent, very fruity, and yeasty like a good German bier. This is the sort of beer smell that brings back good sense memories.
T: tart like a gooseberry, coriander, sweet light malt, salt.
M: lip-smackingly, tongue-dryingly tart, you’ve got to drink it slow.
O: a really great gose, second only to the blood orange version of this gose and the Hibiscus gose from boulevard brewing. The best for drinking on a sweltering day like these have all been recently.

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer label says "Session Series" and fits description. I enjoyed this beers salt, tart and refreshing finish immensely and will make this a regular session beer summer or hell any season of the year if I can find it here often in the mitten state.

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly salty and tart flavor from the Bacteria strain used. Almost no hop flavor, low on the malt so the palette finishes clean, with the sour tones fading quickly. Highly drinkable session beer. Great on a hot summer day with spicy foods.

4.41/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pale yellow, mostly transparent. High carbonation obvious through the extensive bubbling, with a big full head that fades away quickly to a trace around the rim. No lacing to be seen.

S - Snappy bit of grain, a bit of sour fruit, almost like wine.

T - Crisp, clean explosion of bright grains and fruity esters. The salt adds a surprising lift and depth. As it warms, the sourness engages more, spiking heaving on the tip of the tongue. The salt also comes forward, hitting strong notes on the sides of the tongue. When cold, the close is quick and subtle, a bit of sourness trailing away, but as it warms the salt and sour linger for an extended period.

M - Cold this is crisp, clean, incredibly refreshing. As it warms a bit, the salt and sour holds longer, there is a strong physical element in its lingering that is hard to describe.

O - It is a rare day when I find something truly new to me in beer. This was extraordinary. A first foray, I guarantee it will not be my last. The experience is not too different from a juicy IPA, but instead of big hops the Gose comes with sourness and saltiness. Skeptical, I found this not only works, but is a winning combination. Thank you Anderson Valley.

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

I liked this! Had in the can first, then on draft on two separate visits to San Francisco! I wish I could get this in Austin! Perfect for hot summer days!

4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: Light yellow, clear, fluffy white head that fades fast, light lacing
Smell: Citrus, lemon, tart sour
Taste: Tart, dry, and salty
Feel: Well carbonated, very drinkable
Overall: The best gose I have had and might be the most refreshing summer beer I have ever had...

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured a clear gold body with three fingers of fluffy foamy head that slowly receded. Overall impression of appearance is of a nice Gose, though it needs to be cloudier. Scents of sea salt, light notes of citrus and lemon zest, an moderate aroma of earthy yeast and sour lactic funk, light aromas of tropical fruit, with notes of mango and guava with a very light herbal aroma. Overall impression of aroma is of an interesting wild ale, quite like a Gose with the salt, but with a depth of fruitiness. Flavor begins sour with notes of lemon zest, mingling with lemon zest, moderate sea salt, kiwi and lactic acid. Middle grows in sourness with additional salt and a growing sourness of lemon zest and lemon. Finish is sour and salty, with notes of sea salt, a light earthiness and faint herbal flavors along with lemon zest. Aftertaste begins sour, with a lemon quality, moving into saltiness and grainy, doughy malt. Overall impression of flavor is of a nice sour, less a Gose, more a Berliner Weisse with saltiness, but still good. Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and quenching with a light watery feel, puckering sourness and effervescent carbonation. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a good Gose, true to form. Overall this is a nice Gose, with an excellent aroma and flavor, that while a bit sour for the style, is still present. Combined with the mouthfeel, it becomes the perfect summer beer. Highly recommend.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big three finger white head that settles into a thin patchy layer.

Smell: A funky, sour, and sweet aroma with lots of fruit and funk. Scent of lacto funk along with pale malt hints of wheat, cracker, and yeast. Big mix of sour and sweet fruit aromas with hints of lemon zest, orange, pear, peach, and guava. Also some hints of coriander, salt, and some honey like sweetness. A very nice aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a pretty funky, sour, and sweet Gose taste with notes of fruits and funk. Good upfront dose of lacto funk giving some nice sourness. Pale malt with notes of wheat grains, cracker, and yeast. Mix of fruit notes with some lemon zest, peach, guava, orange, pineapple, and pear. Some notes of slat come through along with some coriander. Also some sweet notes of honey. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a high level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and spritzy with a fairly drying finish.

Overall: A very good take on a Gose. Good mix of fruit flavors and funk.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have pretty much been raised on a boat in the north florida ocean, this just tastes like a day out in the boat to me. I think I am gonna love this style and need to search out more Gose's

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fair enough, this is my first sour beer - and it took me a couple of attempts to get it sorted. The first attempt was a mere sip that nearly turned my face inside out, but I was ready the second time.

Stepping up to Gose is a lot like the paradigm shift needed to get from lager to IPA: doesn't matter how good that IPA is, it will be bitter and biting until you acclimatise to the hop load.

The Gose beers have a similar bite: think green apple martini, it is a strong parallel. Once acclimated, this particular beer is tasty, easy to drink (slowly) and remarkably refreshing. I am a big fan of flavour without pursuing alcohol content - limits the sweetness and lets me drink more, which in this case results in a super summer beverage.

Looking forward to drinking plenty more.

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a teku.

The pour produces an inch and a half of feathery, pale white foam that quickly dissipates into a thin layer of lace atop the body. The body is a pale straw color with some golden hues. It's somewhat hazy looking and there seems to be little carbonation.

A lot of tartness, lactic acid and funk on the nose here. I catch a hint of salt, but it is very subtle. The underlying wheat base peeks through ever so slightly as well.

There's something berry-like to the tartness here and perhaps a hint of apple cider, then a good amount of salt emerges. Beneath it all, just as in the aroma, is a wheaty base and only the slightest of pale malt flavors. I really enjoy the flavor of this.

Drinkability is huge with this beer. It's so light and refreshing that one could easily throw one back without taking notice of the bevy of sensations going on. There are champagne-like qualities, a pronounced tartness, and a dry, salty finish. It's quite a ride.

This beer is just great. AV can't produce enough of this. I wish they'd send some to New Mexico already, I don't know what the hang up is there. I'm going to go ahead and say I like this better than Westbrook Gose and I feel this is more true to style.

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear, deep golden with big fluffy white head that settles quickly to some small bubbles. Very little retention but not bad for the style.
S: Minerally and wheaty with hints of lactic acid and some faint citrusy fruitiness. Checks all the boxes for a good Gose!
T: This beer is acidic, but over the top. Seems a good bit less acidic than Westbrook's version but I prefer this amount; it helps with drinkability. I'm getting that stickiness in the back of my throat like when drinking lemonade but it's not overwhelming. The salt and coriander are noticeable, but work to add complexity instead of overpowering the beer.
M: Moderate carbonation; could be higher. Was looking for effervescent. Decently dry yet medium bodied.
O: This beer is all about balance. Some other Goses or Berliner Weisses go over the top with acidic sourness or coriander but not this one. This is my new favorite Gose; highly recommended.

4.26/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bought from Beers of the World on 7/24/15. Served in a Duvel Tulip. Clear yellowish gold, white head that disaappears completely. Classic sour Gose aroma. Flavor is Gose; sour and saline with a sharp tartness. This isa solid version of the style, perhaps not quite as good as Westbrook.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I just tried this Gose beers this summer. This one is pretty good too me. Excellent thrist quencher after a long days work.

Pours a amberish yellow with nice swirling into the glass. Pour finishes with a 1/2 finger white head that dissipates quickly. To me the taste is wate...boom sour! The sour is very present, but not the only thing you taste. Really can't get over how easy to drink this one is. A 32 oz growler is gone within a few min. Good thing is it's also extremely light on alcohol, so quenching your thirst shouldn't kill you.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Had a taste of this one at a beer tasting the other night. Quite interesting in flavor. It was a beer I could see drinking by the pool on summer afternoons. Glad I could try it here in FL. With only 13 reviews on this beer, I had no idea I was trying something so new to the market.

Would get a 6pk next summer. As of now, its stout season.

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my first time trying a Gose, and I must say this might be my new favourite beer type. Unlike anything I've ever tasted before, this will definitely be one I keep coming back to!

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

I want to preface this review by saying I have never found myself being a huge fan of the gose. Granted, I haven't tried the Westbrook version which I hear is great, but I've had my fair share. It was a style I just didn't "get". Well this beer changed my perspective on that. This is reviewed from a can. Pours a clear gold with minimal head and no retention. The nose is somewhere between an American wheat and a berliner weisse. There is noteable wheat grain character that comes through along with a bright popping citrus character. A bit of tangy lactobacillus sits in the background and just entices me to take a sip. Up front on the palate you get a wave of salt. This was the part that didn't make sense to me in the style. Well, now it does. The salt in this brew is very noticeable and almost takes on the taste of salt water for a split second. This quickly gives way to a dash of tartness and then a big zesty lemony character at the finish. The salt/citrus/tartness makes for an incredibly harmonious and refreshing combination that is incredibly quenching, especially during some of these hot summer days. The body is light and the carbonation is spritzy. Overall, this is a great bbq/summer/session brew. Forget those session IPAs (they aren't bad, just not my favorite trend)... I think these are due to catch on and catch fire in the craft beer world.

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured out if a 12 oz can into my stange glass, this beer pours a clear, pale medium golden/yellow color with a white head that is about 1/2-2/3 of an inch thick when first poured with lots of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. Settles to pretty much nothing, just a very thin/small bubbles along the inside rim of the glass at the beer's surface, but not even enough to form a complete ring. All but no foam or lacing here, just a very slight hint of these. Earthy aromas of sour tart and citrus and not much else. Has a nice, somewhat sour, funky tart tangy flavor that gives way to some definite salt notes. Very nice balance of these flavors. While the flavor profile doesn't have a whole lot of different things going on here, the flavors that are here come across quite nicely indeed and seem quite well balanced too. Has a crisp, yet smooth, slightly prickly, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer should be. I am really coming to enjoy this style of beer quite a bit indeed. Worth a try for sure!

4.24/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a shaker pint, the beer is a pale, hazy, corn-gold coloring with a filmy halo of head, and a steady flow of carbonation throughout the body. Nose of tart white grape, sour notes, hints of sea salt, toasted grains, floral highlights, and subtle citrus notes. Flavors are smooth and sweet, with a lemon zest and white wine forward blend, crisp and dry, followed by a slightly sour and tart feel. Saltiness clears up into the aftertaste, keeping it mellow. Light, crisp, and refreshing. The finish is clean and crisp. Amazingly drinkable.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz can. Not sure of a best by date, however, on the bottom of the can there are some numbers. 15156 5700/11. By those numbers, I'm guessing it may have been canned on 6/15/15, but I'm not sure. I hope that isn't the best by date.

L: Cloudy golden straw colored. Poured a head around one finger tall. The head quickly disappeared. No lacing.

S: It smells tart. Some citrus comes through. Some wheat also comes through. Definite smell of coriander. Smells like a pretty solid Gose.

T: It hits hard at first with the citrus tartness, but the tartness is nicely blended with the malt body. A little salty at the end, but not overly so.

F: A lighter medium mouth feel. Carbonation tickles the tongue. Crisp and dry finish.

O: A great smelling and tasting gose. Anderson Valley did a great job with this beer. I recommend anyone looking for a new gose to try, or looking to try one for the first time, to consider picking up this beer. Very good.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Fairly clear straw to light golden. One finger white head, quickly popping to light film, no lacing.

S: Lemon verbena, woodsy lemongrass. Grainy coriander. Herbaceous and grassy-dandelion, hibiscus comes to mind. Salt scent. Sweet floral apple blossoms and rose petal. Subdued and intricate.

M: Orange dry in effect. Light and crisp in finish. Mouth puckering. Could use a little more effervescence.

T: Kinda tastes like a dry French cider. Sulfur and salt balance an astringency reminiscent of orange pulp rather than harsh lemon rind or peel. Dandelion with grassy notes. Lightly sweet from pear and apple. Lemon citrus. Nice salty balance.

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

12 fl oz. can bought on a whim and to discover that the heck a Gose is.

Used a standard US pint glass.

A -Light wheat beer color, minimal (very minimal) head with some lacing. Nothing spectacular looking, but clearly it's beer.

S - The aroma is complex...smelled sour, wheat-like with a hint of pepper.

T - Wow, what a weird yet wonderful taste. Taste of wheat beer yet sour, a bit of spiciness, and a salty taste near the end. That's a heck of a lot of tastes packed into a 12 ounce can.

M - Surprisingly large amount of body for what is labelled as a session ale (only 4.2% alcohol). Despite this, it would be easy to slam down several of these over the course of an evening.

Well, I'm incredibly happy I tried this beer. Gose is definitely something I'll keep an eye out for, as I'm a fan of all things sour. That said, I think think this is a beer you'll either love or hate - no in between on this one. .

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Company