The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy GoseThe Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Gose |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: scottfrie on 09-24-2013)
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

I will preface this by saying I do not like wheat beers. I generally don't like them anyway. I have not found many that worked for me. This one was a surprise. It was like a sour in a way, but salty, almost like a michelada but not really the lime and horrible beer combo that you get with those. This beer does have the coriander and wheat in there but the wheat rancid taste that I get from most of them is covered up. I attribute this to the possibly the salt. This is a very crisp well made beer. I have never tried this style previously, but I will be searching it out in the future. Hopefully they are all as well made as this one.

Opaque straw yellow in color. Like an adjunct lager with some haziness going on. Well really think of just about any wheat beer and you know where you are. Smell, zesty, sour but in a good way. I bet this beer would taste good with something like a Reuben sandwich.

Overall: Try it if you were hesitant, I am a stout and IPA fan. I like bold flavors. I enjoyed the interlude with this beer, its flavorful enough but crisp and one you could drink a few of without tiring quickly.

humuloner22, Today at 03:30 AM
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

ortie, Today at 01:45 AM

wildlife, Today at 11:43 PM
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

dagubna, Today at 08:35 AM
2.64/5  rDev -31.4%

APPEARANCE: A huge head foams up on this beer right away, even with a very careful and slow pour. It does not last long, however, it’s gone within 15 seconds. The beer itself is a very pale yellow and there are only a handful of bubbles beneath the surface, and by a handful I mean like seven or eight. There is no lacing at all.

SMELL: Very salty. I can’t smell much else.

TASTE: Apparently, I am very sensitive to salt because that is almost all I can taste at first. After a few sips some tart lemon develops with a strong bready flavor.

MOUTHFEEL: The Gose starts out dry, but builds in sweetness throughout the sip. It’s light-bodied and goes down easy.

OVERALL: I have a very hard time with the Gose style. This is one of the better examples I have tried however. I think the tartness and the fact that it wasn’t completely, 100% overwhelming in the salt department.

StoneTSR, Yesterday at 07:36 AM
3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours translucent pale gold. The 1/2 inch white head quickly disappears completely and leaves very faint spots of lace.

The smell is of grainy malt, lemon juice and earthy hops.

The taste is of sour lemon juice, white bread and a faint salt aftertaste.

The texture is light bodied and effervescent with high carbonation. Tiny bubbles rise up throughout the drink down.

Grainy wheat, sour lemon juice and a salty aftertaste. This is not terrible but, it is a style that I am not particularly fond of.

Furlinator, Yesterday at 01:52 AM