The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy GoseThe Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Gose |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: scottfrie on 09-24-2013

With a bright, golden color and tight creamy head, the earthy wood undertones in our Gose develop into a light mineral aroma with a hint of lemon zest and tropical fruit. Before boiling, the wort is kettle soured with lactobacillus, imparting an initial refreshing tartness that gives way to a subtle fullness. Flavors of guava and peach are followed by a slight sea salt dryness and lemon sourness that is enhanced by coriander and post-fermentation additions of salt. The finish is dry, effervescent, and lemon tangy, reminiscent of a fresh sea breeze.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,601 | Reviews: 229
1.12/5  rDev -71%

Light straw body. Fast dissipating head. Sorry if people like it, but the smell reminds me of puke. The vomit smell you get when you drink to much cheap booze. Taste is similar. Do not like it at all. Reminds me of drinking too much and getting sick back in highschool.

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer was not very good

1.63/5  rDev -57.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Grabs hold like a sour patch kid!

1.66/5  rDev -57%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This tasted disgusting right out of the can.

I have liked other canned beer from Anderson Valley, and was excited to try this one. It smells alright, like bread, which other reviewers have commented. However, the rest of the flavors: wet carpet, followed by lemon cough syrup and salt water, were wretch-worthy. It's become a household joke, since anyone who has tried it has also found it to be terrible. The majority of each of the six cans in the pack have ended up in the drain, where it belongs.

I hope for better next time.

1.82/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Simply put, this is the worst gose I have ever drank. I have to believe that anyone who loves this beer and judges all other goses not sour/salty enough simply doesn't know what a true gose is supposed to taste like. I seriously believe that sessioning too many servings of this beer could cause hypernatremia.

Considering this beer is so salty, I don't see how anyone could enjoy crushing serving after serving: the complete opposite experience of what a gose should be. I highly recommend finding better alternatives.

1.91/5  rDev -50.5%

I am not a fan of sour. In my humble opinion, any sour flavor does not belong in my beer. I drank enough to get a legitimate taste of this beer, but could not fathom more than a couple ounces total.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

More or less. didn't impress me

2.53/5  rDev -34.5%

Sour beer. It was served cool at Beer Belly in Syracuse. Not particularly good.

2.64/5  rDev -31.6%

APPEARANCE: A huge head foams up on this beer right away, even with a very careful and slow pour. It does not last long, however, it’s gone within 15 seconds. The beer itself is a very pale yellow and there are only a handful of bubbles beneath the surface, and by a handful I mean like seven or eight. There is no lacing at all.

SMELL: Very salty. I can’t smell much else.

TASTE: Apparently, I am very sensitive to salt because that is almost all I can taste at first. After a few sips some tart lemon develops with a strong bready flavor.

MOUTHFEEL: The Gose starts out dry, but builds in sweetness throughout the sip. It’s light-bodied and goes down easy.

OVERALL: I have a very hard time with the Gose style. This is one of the better examples I have tried however. I think the tartness and the fact that it wasn’t completely, 100% overwhelming in the salt department.

2.78/5  rDev -28%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A big shout out to the super woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer came gushing out of the can despite no agitation. Has a pale yellow color with a 2 inch head. Smell is very sour, some salt as well. Taste was not good. Very sour, tart, lemons, a bit salty as well. Feels light and sour in the mouth and while others may like this flavor profile, it's not for me. i didn't care much for this one.

2.97/5  rDev -23.1%

At first I took a sip directly from the can. (don't do this - It tasted like vomit)

I was about to throw it away but I decided to do it right and pour it in a glass.

Nice smell. Nice head(at first - didn't last)

The taste was acceptable. (For some reason drinking it from a glass and letting it breath a little took the taste of vomit away)

Who knows maybe I got a bad batch. If anyone else has the same experience please let me know.

Pours two fingers of head on a clear light straw colored body.
The aroma is lemon zest, lemon and sea water. Good.
The taste is super tart lemon without the bitterness, slightly salty, clean finish.
The texture is crisp.
Great sour flavor.

Draft. Not a fan of this style. Hay, honey, salt, funk and wheat. That's the taste. This is mild. Like a Budweiser. So, I can see this being a transitional beer for novice craft beer drinkers. Light and drinkable. Funky aftertaste as well. Beertender, can I perhaps have something else?

Good as far as goses go

A:Pours an opaque golden color with a white head.

S: Some grapefruit peel, some orange, a little peach in the nose.

T: Some lemon, some tart grapefruit, orange, a little malt, a little peach and a salty finish.

M: Light bodied and smooth.

O: Not really my kind of beer, but this is the first I've ever had, and I hated my first Kriek, so I may revisit this one in a couple years if I find more of the style.

Similar to a German Sour. Very tart and not a great smell.

Very enjoyable
I have an affinity for this style but in small doses. I wish smaller glass options were available. By the half point I wanted something different. 10 oz is perfect. No head after a bit but I think it is a fine effort

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Pours very clear, almost like flat champagne in the glass. Smells a bit sour, taste is definitely sour with a dry champagne finish. not very carbonated.

3.11/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Incredibly light. Pale yellow, nearly clear. Like water with a lot of lemon juice in it. Or dilute pee. Fizzy white head starts out at about a finger or so and quickly settles in to just a rim around the top.

Smells almost like bile. Uhh...
This gives way to a bit of lemon tart, and almost a boozy note, which considering how low the ABV is on this baby is... unexpected.

I was admittedly a bit worried after the nose, but the bile (read: vomitous) note is not how it goes. It's a lemon tart with a touch of grains, and I do get the round saltiness at the end.

Highly carbonated, the tart flavour blends with the piercing bubbles well. The final aftertaste brings back a bit of the bile, though, so that's not great.

Listen, I admit that gose is apparently just not my style. While this is admittedly my first gose (I'm pretty sure), and by all accounts it's a great example of the style. Apparently gose is just not for me. Enjoy it if you're into it, I'll leave them for you.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

On tap at the House of Brews. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden body. Small white head. Retains well. Thick collar and some lacing.

Smell - Wheat. Mild acidity. Not a strong aroma.

Taste - Wheat is again the strongest. Mild sourness. Saltiness is also mild.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Drinkable for what it is, but not a tremendously interesting beer.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Golden color with apparent carbonation and a huge thick head with good retention.
Mild sour aroma with notes of raspberries, coriander, bread and lemon.
Refreshing flavor with notes of effervescent C vitamin, some salt, lemon, a bit of coriander (feels less relatively to a Wit). Dry aftertaste with a controlled acid sensation.
Light body with somewhat effervescent carbonation.
Very balanced, refreshing and faithful to style Gose. Extremely easy to drink. Rounded and mild, I see anyone liking this. But with no strong character.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Just a slight haze on the yellowish brew, and a modest foam in the small snifter. Carbonation doesn't last particularly well, and the less-than-lively mouthfeel seems to accentuate the overall sharpness.

A very plain flavor of what used to be malt. Moderately tart with lactic acid. Still an echo of grainy sweetness. Overall, this is sharp but not sour with a dry fruit soda sensation.

I don't think this will win too many friends for the style, but it's certainly cheap enough. One of the less offensive brews from Anderson Valley. From the 12 oz can purchased at Special Brews in Lynnwood, Washington.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Good drinkable sour not complex great for a summer day nothing special

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a lightly cloudy straw yellow with a tall, white head that had moderate retention and no lacing.

The aroma was fairly benign, some wheat, and a bit of light grain in the background, with no real hop or spice presence. On the tongue, the beer had a bit more personality, the wheat and malt were bolder and the tartness popped across the palate.

The body was medium, with a nice crispness. Drinkability was good, my can went away quickly, and another is ready to in the glass. Overall, a nice example of the style. Not notable, but worth a shot if you see it.

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours translucent pale gold. The 1/2 inch white head quickly disappears completely and leaves very faint spots of lace.

The smell is of grainy malt, lemon juice and earthy hops.

The taste is of sour lemon juice, white bread and a faint salt aftertaste.

The texture is light bodied and effervescent with high carbonation. Tiny bubbles rise up throughout the drink down.

Grainy wheat, sour lemon juice and a salty aftertaste. This is not terrible but, it is a style that I am not particularly fond of.

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Company