The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose - Anderson Valley Brewing Company

The Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy GoseThe Kimmie, The Yink & The Holy Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company visit their website

Gose |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: scottfrie on 09-24-2013)

This came out of the cooler at The Fridge and then got set aside as the bottles built up to the point that I held a CANcerted purge over the summer to be able to get The CANQuest ™ back on track. It’s good to be back!

From the CAN: “Bah Hornin’ since 1987”; “The refreshing tartness in this divine, bright golden-colored ale gives way to earthy undertones and hints of citrus followed by a slight sea salt-like dryness and tangy, effervescent finish.”; “Highway 128 Boonville Session Series”; “Solar Powered Brewery”.

The Crack! let loose a squirt the likes of which I have not seen from an intact CAN! Sometimes, if a CAN is dented, it will push the beer to the top, but in this case, the beer was up to the lip! It must have been overfilled when the lid was seamed on to get it this full. A new standard has been set. I began an inverted Glug, but “effervescent” was the operative word here. Following a brief pseudo-cascade, I got three-plus fingers of puffy, fizzy, bone-white head that was as carbonated as soda pop and lasted for just a short time before fading away. Color was a Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 – 2) and I just urinated a darker liquid. Nose was tart, yet salty. I felt like I was back at sea, smelling the breeze on the fantail. Mouthfeel was thin, but very fizzy. The taste was initially puckeringly tart, like sucking on a lemon, but then the saltiness kicked in, mellowing the intensity of the tartness. Finish was bone dry, puckeringly dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert as I reached for my asthma inhaler. Well, if you are looking for something very different or if you really want a thirst quencher during the Summer months, this would be it. It was as refreshing as ginger ale, but without the sugar. Pardon me while I try to prise my lips apart.

woodychandler, Thursday at 02:52 PM

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Thishops4u, Sep 10, 2014

mklisz, Sep 10, 2014

Very enjoyable
I have an affinity for this style but in small doses. I wish smaller glass options were available. By the half point I wanted something different. 10 oz is perfect. No head after a bit but I think it is a fine effort

delapowicz, Sep 09, 2014

pwoody11, Sep 07, 2014

MonkeyBread, Sep 07, 2014

hooliganlife, Sep 07, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a slightly cloudy pale gold with tons of tiny bubbles sticking to the sides of the glass and rising up quickly. The pour kicks up a thick, pillowy head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace.

Aroma is only slightly sour - I get cardamom, lemons, and a slight mustiness.

Taste is pretty sour on the palate, with the slight mustiness peeking through, and then it really takes shape after the swallow. On the swallow, orangey citrus comes out, along with the cardamom, and a sweet feeling (that may be just the lack of sour!) that is wonderful. An ever-so-slight salt flavor on the swallow, but I'm not sure I would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking.

Mouthfeel is thin with tons of carbonation - to style.

Overall, this and the Westbrook are the only goses I've had, and I think this one wins out slightly IMO. It's less sour than Westbrook's, but also lacking the salt flavor the Westbrook had.

MasterfulIdiot, Sep 07, 2014