Seven Mules Strong Ale - Mishawaka Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Mishawaka Brewing Company
Indiana, United States

American Barleywine |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-31-2003)
blackie

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

good 'ol Mishawaka...it's been awhile

appearance: Pours a low, white head that recedes to a thin layer and ring. The beer is a bright, copper-amber in colour.

smell: Vanilla, cookie dough, and butterscotch amid condensed pale grain aromas and a light, nondescript hop aroma. Light ethanol note. Wierd. Interesting I suppose.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium, and the body somewhere between medium and heavy.

taste: Heavy pale malts give a moderate sweetness. Buttery notes abound and accompany an unwanted, slick feeling on the tongue. Low hop flavor and a moderate bitterness that builds into the finish.

drinkability: eh...the buttery flavors get boring, and there's nothing that makes me want to keep sipping

single bottle shipped down from dirtylou after a visit to ND for a match...doesn't seem to be the same Seven Mules I had at the brewpub.

12-21-2006 04:01:32 | More by blackie
Generik420

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%

I was very intrigued to see what a blonde barleywine was, so I of course had to purchase a bottle of this. The label really didn't impress me much, and I think that is a slight detractor from Mishawaka Brewing beers in general. The packaging just seems very amatuerish. Seven Mules Kick Ass Ale pours a semi-cloudy straw color with not much head. What is there is off white but does seem to leave a fair amount of lacing surprisingly.

The aroma on this is strongly alchoholic and malty. Actually reminds me of a few different high gravity lagers I have had.. you know the kind I am talking about, 211, Camo 24, etc. Not particularly what I want from a more refined style of brew.

Taste isn't too bad, but this beer definitely needs to work in my mind. There is a fairly strong bitterness in the tail end of a swallow. Really kind of hard to describe, it is a mishmash of flavor and nothing to me really stands out.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for a barleywine. It seems to start more medium bodied, but by the end of the swallow it is actually very thin feeling. Again, very hard to describe.

Drinkability.. well for me 1 is going to be enough. I would definitely drink it again if it was handed to me, but I don't see myself buying another one on my own.

11-22-2006 23:16:59 | More by Generik420
scruffwhor

2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

Seven mules kick ass ale. Bought it cause I never heard of it before and the name of course. Pours a slightly golden, yet slightly hazy honey, light amberish color with a quick head. Aromas are of a strong alcoholic nature mixed with an oddball malt character that I can't pinpoint until the taste. Also noticed some light toffee and even some vanillin zucker. The taste starts with warm, lightly toasted mlats with a sugary, oddball flavor that reminds me of the crap they put in tootsie rolls to give it that fake chocolate flavor. Or something similiar. This made the ale taste very different and unique, but not barely wine good. Very burny palate that doesn;t do a whole lot to compliment the flavors of the beer.

11-08-2006 03:56:28 | More by scruffwhor
dirtylou

Washington

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz single, bought a 6 pack at Belmont Beverage in south bend last weekend

appearance: interesting but cheesy label (since when do they even bottle this stuff?)...pours into a snifter, body is actually on the lighter side of the style, kind of a golden orange shad...nice white froth with some pretty good lace left behind

smell: most noticeable aroma is the honey and then a rather strong woody characteristic...a fair amount of booze comes through as it settles, sweet malt, mild light fruit

taste: I have had this beer before, back when i was at ND...i dont remember it being like this but i guess i dont remember much. Strong boozy/woody flavour dominates, big on the honey...strong vanilla presence, alcohol is very hot...its not that great, but the more i drink it the more i think its not that bad either

mouthfeel: booze is very hot, otherwise pretty smooth

drinkability: average

10-28-2006 03:45:30 | More by dirtylou
aforbes10

Iowa

2.45/5  rDev -19.7%

pours the color of honey with a little powdery head. smells strongly of sugar, alcohol, right before it hits your mouth it kind of feels like you're about to drink some scotch. taste is harsh and really unbalanced at first, with just a powder of sweetness and weird hoppiness hitting in all the wrong places. it becomes easier to drink as you get further into it but im sure thats just the alcohol. probably the worst ive had from MBC, which i feel really bad about saying considering how much i like their founders stout and some of their seasonals

09-01-2006 20:13:54 | More by aforbes10
Seven Mules Strong Ale from Mishawaka Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.