Four Horsemen Ale - Mishawaka Brewing Company

poor

Mishawaka Brewing Company
Indiana, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: mophie on 08-09-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Beerdudenumberone, Dec 10, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -53.7%

Masterhin, Dec 09, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

PopnLoads, Aug 24, 2012

TMoney2591, Apr 01, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

In the words of Michael Scott-Blechhh.

Appearance: So-so

Smell: Not great, but better than the taste.

Taste: Not the worst thing ever, but close. Thankfully there isn't a horrible aftertaste, because the intial taste is not great! I can't exactly describe it. Slightly fruity, no carbonation really. It's kind of like they squirted some lemon juice into flat seltzer water. Not good at all!

Mouthfeel: FLAT!

Drinkability: Tolerable, only because the terrible taste goes away quickly. Seems like low quality beer to me.

Sorry to Mishawaka Brewing, I will try something else of yours if I see it, but this one wasn't good.

flyingspatula, Feb 28, 2011
2.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours with little to no head but has a beautiful reddish brown colour, pour it heavy and you may get a decent head. Does have some lacing. Strong aroma of crystal malts with some subtle prune. Little carbonation tastes like they used nitrogen .No hop Most definitely a malt drinkers beer. Not a bad beer but they could improve on the carbonation.

mrbugawkagawk, May 13, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +42.6%

Appearance: Dark copper-red in appearance. Fairly transparent. Not much carbonation but a lot of foam for me.

Smell: Basically smells like caramel malts...kind of minerally actually.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Pretty strong, but not overpowering. Not much more than caramel malt, with a bit of bitter hoppiness. I'm not sure if it's the water, but this stuff tastes kind of like mineral water...not metallic though. Gives it a weird mouthfeel:

Drinkability: It's an easy beer to drink, but better to sip in my opinion.

Overall: A good beer. A staple for Notre Dame fans. Go Irish!

tjsdomer2, Apr 15, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -18.5%

On tap at the Chumley's in Lafayette. Billed as in Irish Red.

Pours not bad. Caramel brown, decent head.

Smells like fruit and nitrogen. Hmm... not a good sign. There's a little bit of redishness in there, crystal malt and a light dose of hops.

Tastes like it smells only more stale and medicinal, like one of thos insufferable Irish nitrogen beers that get shipped over here and sit on shelves for ages until some poor bastard (often, me) buys it and gets burned. It's not just that it's probably stale; it was bland and offputting to begin with.

This was drinkable, kinda. I didn't send it back. That's about the kindest thing I can say.

mynie, Apr 06, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

Another fine extra I received in a recent trade. Decided to open this one up the other night and check it out. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 03/26/2010.

The pour was decent enough with a nice caramel colored amber that had a decent amount of thickness to it. Showing off some ruby highlights around the sides and bottom of the glass. Nice tight head forms quickly but faded just as fast as it works its way down the sides of the glass. Aroma is loaded with caramel malts and hints of light grains. Warming brings out a bit of sweetness to it that is followed nicely by a touch of light bittering hops. Nothing crazy here though as it mellows out pretty nicely. Fuller body then I would have thought given the style, but with the ample carbonation I really think it works for it. Smooth, easy, semi sweet finish does it nicely as the last taste was a long and drawn out caramel and bready flavor that left you looking for just that bit more.

Overall pretty solid. Nothing really crazy at all just a nice solid and well rounded ale. I would have no issue with putting down more then one of these.

mikesgroove, Mar 31, 2010

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Surly pint glass.

A: Heavy pour yields a .5 finger coarse white head that seems to evaporate it disappears so quickly. Beer is a semi-clear brownish-amber. Lacing is very spotty and has no cling.

S: Enticing nose. Caramel, butterscotch, brown sugar, sweet toffee, creamy, nutty.

T: Nutty opening. Caramel and toffee sweetness throughout. Spicy towards the middle complements the strong malt backbone. Touch of coffee bitterness towards the back. Brown sugar at the end with a very clean finish that leaves nothing on the palate. This beer is very "brown". Not terribly complex here, but as a sessionable brew, I'm expecting a simplicity that this beer delivers.

M: Light bodied, not too carbonated and moderatly smooth. A bit spicy at points. Watery in the mouth and goes down very easy. Finish is extremely clean, appropriate for the style.

D: This almost seems like a cross between a malty amber ale and a nut brown. However, regardless of its pedigree, a highly drinkable beer. Sweet but not overly so with a nice flavor and body that beckons on a sunny spring day. Wish I had easier access to this. Definitely recommended. It's not gonna blow your socks off, but its not gonna dissapoint either.

SpeedwayJim, Mar 17, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

22oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from alleykatking. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/4" beige head above the clear coppery brown brew. Head lasts okay, with average lacing. Aroma is low intensity but balanced. Taste starts sweet, goes fruity tart in the middle, and closes with chalky bitterness. Mouthfeel is slickery over the tongue, drinkability is lowered by above. Just doesn't work for me.

ppoitras, Feb 28, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A-Pours a cloudy, hazy orange amber with a little bit of off white head and no lacing.

S-Bready and caramelly malt. Not bad.

T-Sweet and sour in a strange blend. Not very pleasant.

M-Undercarbonated, which does not help with these icky flavors clinging to my tongue.

D-No thanks.

HV

sholland119, Feb 10, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

Had on tap. Review from notes.

A- Came to me as a dark brown amberish color. Seemed to me to be pretty clear with a light amber highlight to it as I held it to the light. Little tan head covered the top of the beer ever so lighty before it was just skim on the top. No real lacing to speak of. Just some stuff that slid down the glass.

S- Nothing really sticks out in this beer. Some grainy charaters in this beer along with general sweet bready malts. Nothing very impressive to say the least. Smelled very bland and not really doing much for me.

T- Mostly sickly sweet malts in this beer come shinning through. Some light earthy hops make quick appearances here and there with most coming through the tail end of this beer. A little more spiced up than BMC but not that much more.

M- Medium mouthfeel to this beer. Carbonation is a little lacking in this beer which I found to be a problem. Sweet malts left on the palate and in the aftertaste. Watery tasting for most of the beer. Kind of clean tasting but not at the same time.

D- This is a good first beer or ending beer. This doesn't make you think but at the same time it's not one that I want to keep drinking all night.

alleykatking, Dec 14, 2009

12 oz bottle, label says "Irish Style Red Ale"

Pours a relatively clear, dark red-brown color with a thin, bubbly light tan head that doesn't hang around too long resulting in some sadly, lonely large bubbles. Aroma is an indeterminate mix of light caramel, grain, ummm...general sweetness, but not much distinguishing character. Medium bodied, slightly watery finish, moderate carbonation tries to clean some of the cloying sweetness from the finish. Flavor is caramel sweet with mild earthy hops trying to keep up. I'm not sure what to make of this beer, not terrible, but doesn't really fit a particular style and I don't really have the need to ever try this again.

yourefragile, Dec 04, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +32.6%

This darker-hued (deep brown) 'red' ale has a rich and unusual (and appealing) floral nose and a complex malty flavor that stabilizes on the tongue. Mishawaka doesn't talk up this one, as there's no details on the bottle, but it's a tad more complex and hearty (for lack of a better word) than Michelob's Irish red (which I sampled the same day). This one's unquestionably a craft beer, not perfect but not bad, either.

secondtooth, Mar 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +15.9%

Sampled on 1-24-09

Pours a decently cloudy red/brown color, with no head and thin wisps of white lacing.

Smell is sharp malt followed by a sweet and bitter hop aroma.

Taste is simple, lightly roasted malt with a big hoppy kick. Good at first, but becomes slightly medicinal and tiring to drink.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, could use more carbonation to liven things up.

Drinkability is decent, but the flavor is just not that good.

Overall, kind of what I expected.

BMoney575, Jan 24, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -11.1%

Picked up a few bottles at the brewery on a trip through town. Pours a pretty clear red color with thin head and spotty lacing.

Smell is sweet and malty, but slightly watery and non-descript. Taste is very similar with a strong buttery diacetyl flavor to it that really doesn't help matters. Medium bodied and smooth.

This is a pretty disappointing red ale... I finished it but I definitely won't buy again.

Tasted on 7/28/08.

tmitch75, Nov 30, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured this 12 0z. brown bottle into a British pint glass. No date. The body was golden amber with an off-white solid head. Faded to a cap which stayed. Light chill haze. The appearance was the beast feature of this one.

Smell was sour grain. Fruity. Caramel. Not bad.

Taste was somewhat sour/tart. There was a mild bitter aftertaste. Light sweetness. Tipped toward bitter rather than sweet. Pretty average.

Mouthfeel was thin to medium. Moderate carbonation.

Cresant, Sep 22, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +44.4%

Pours a nice dark red color with excellent head and nice lacing. Very weak scent, though, very little beyond a little bit of malt. Excellent taste, a very malty feel with a great tart (and cherry) taste, with a great sweet/tart after taste. Goes down very smoothly. Although not quite as good as a true Irish Red, it's a great Irish STYLE red ale.

JamesS, Apr 10, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -30.4%

Dark, semi transluscent brown huge foamy tan head. Very high carbonation is evident from the pour. Smell is apple juice like malt. Taste is very sour malt all the way. Extremely fizzy mouthfeel as well. Not sour in a rancid, band-aid or guaze like way, but just simply sour. According to other reviews it seems like this is common and perhaps not a bad bottle...Not very true to the style nor a good beer either.

JDV, Mar 20, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -57.4%

I hate ratings beer low, but I felt the need to add this review with the hopes that the brewery will re-think this conconction.

The appearance started with a nice foamy three finger head. Then I noticed all the sediment that was floating in the glass. I didn't even pour all the beer in the glass before I noticed this.

The smell came across as sour. The tatse definitley followed right along with a sour taste and an even worse aftertaste. This is actually one of the only beers I could not finish.

I'm not sure what the brewery is going for, but the sourness in the beer just doesn't appeal to me.

trekbiker3000, Mar 15, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Not sure why this is an American Pale, with the label clearly marked "Irish Style Red Ale" though by taste I'm not sure exactly where it should fall.

Pours a nice hazed dark coppery orange-red. A hard pour left about a 1/2" cream colored head that didn't stick around too long, but left a nice bubbly film.

Nose is uncommon, with some roasted nut smells and other toasted grains. A light syrupy yet sour sweetness of cherry mixes with a little pineapple. It has a dry ginger-ale scent that carries with it some sour funk.

Taste is a little like the smell, with some unique qualities. Lightly sour up front, malt kind of fades in and out with notes of caramel and sticky fruit. A mineral taste runs throughout, mixing with a distinct whole-grain finish. Kind of watered down and stale tasting at times during the sip.

Feel is medium bodied with some fizzy carbonation. Finishes a little like water with just a light mouth coating.

I don't know. I don't mind drinking it, but that's pretty far from liking it. In fact, the more I drink, the less I want more.

lightindarkness, Mar 10, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -48.1%

A two and a half finger big bubble tan head quickly rushes to the top of the glass with a vigorous pour. Scattered lace is all over the glass. Body is a deep brownish red. An odd musky sweet nose is graced with a slight zesty mineral feel. Oh wow! I cant imagine this is what they were going for here as I take first sip. My taste buds jump back into my mouth in retreat. Sip after sip I try to find something good about this beer but time after time my squinting eyes tell the story. Musty, sour mix of mash up. No balance. I wanted to like it it was from my home state. Needs to go back to the drawing board.

SPLITGRIN, Jan 24, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -39.6%

I have had this a dozen times or so on tap back in early '07 and I liked it. I got a 1/4 barrel for my kegerator and it just wasn't the same. The taste was very sour and it felt watered down. However the sour taste diminished for the most part when I poured it into a weizen glass instead of a mug or pint glass.

The wierd thing is that when I pour a glass there was NO head. Even the most vigorus pour from the tap yielded a couple soapy bubles. I took they keg back and they gave me another but the same thing happened with that one. After about 3 days or so the beer started pouring with a nice amount of head. I ended up only drinking like half of the keg. I dont think I will ever buy a MBC beer after this.

indianaroller, Jan 22, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -47%

Appearance - darker red amber, an immediate swell of foam, three fingers at least. Falls back partially but maintains a very thick and creamy cap. A furious amount of carbonation feeding the head, I'll be waiting for the beer to release some of that before I drink it.

Aroma - some biscuity notes on the pour, but fades to a bare trace of caramel sweetness and grain.

Taste - insanely tart, bitter, carbonated, and unpleasant. I forgot to mention metallic. None of that was in the nose. Well, it was bound to happen eventually - my first drain pour. A nasty little bottle o' brew here, hopefully (for their sake) I got an 'off' bottle.

Mouthfeel - extremely carbonated, medium bodied. Lose about half the bubbles and this would feel much better.

Drinkability - as is, you couldn't pay me to drink this, I'm wondering if this will make me sick tomorrow or something. This taste cannot be intentional. Though it would never be on tap around here, I might try it again just to see. Might not.

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 09, 2008