Stepchild Red - Hop Valley Brewing Company

good

Hop Valley Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-29-2009)
Reviews by Chris-MOC9:

Chris-MOC9, Aug 01, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

jaydoc, Nov 28, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from tap into pint glass at Nano-brew festival PDX.

Pours with red/amber hue, quickly dissipating head and light lace. Very amber like aromatics, very German/English smelling with lots of Munich malts. Hops are generous but seem slightly out of place in this brew.

Clean palate with a very short and simple finish. Balanced nicely. Nothing really stands out. It's a simple red/amber ale. This beer emphasizes simplicity and drinkability over complexity and nuance.

cbarrett4, Aug 21, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

hophopandaway14, Jul 05, 2012
4.41/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour into a pint glass from a growler. I liked this more than expected.

I brewed tonight and went to Raen Brew Brewporium for yeast to homebrew tonight and was seeking a growler of IPA too. What I had hoped for was gone, so I tried this amber and decided upon a growler. My only regret is I didn't get a second growler.

A-Pours a gorgeous dark amber. Two finger, off-white head with good retention and ample lacing. A beautiful appearing beer.

S-Aggressive hops and toasted caramel malts.

T-Hops are aggressive without being overpowering. Nice malt backbone in finish. Taste is delicately sweet and citrusy. This is delicious, especially for such a modest ABV. This may be out of style as in hoppier than expected, but this was a welcome relief, especially since I was seeking an IPA.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced, yet complex.

D-Very nice for an amber ale. Very smooth. Almost sessionable at 6.1% ABV.

O- My only regret is this is I only got one growler. Few beers, of any style, have me wanting more after I have run out. I would glady drink this year round. This was much better than I expected. Hoppier for style at 80 IBUs (per brewery website), but I really liked this. Perhaps a red IPA. Great name too; never a better red-headed stepchild, of any type, let alone beer. Well done.

velosuds, Jun 02, 2013
3.61/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Reddish copper. Off white foam with sticky retention rings.

S: Hops, primarily in the pine resin variety. Mild sweetness of maple.

T: Totally different than the smell in that there is zero sweetness. Cool and juicy and mellow up front but slowly fades to bitter wet cedar and bitter pine needles. Dried leaves and tree sap finish long. I like it, but a tad more hoppy than I expected.

M: Finishes so so. The bitterness fades slowly. Leaves a little bit of dryness longer.

O: Nice for a hoppy red. A bit more hops than I expected leaving it not quite as sessionable as I would have hoped. Reds vary too much in IBUs in my opinion, we need two categories for hoppy and less hoppy.

constantine_272, Dec 08, 2013

AbelSoltero, Aug 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

BigJYoungblood, Sep 07, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

A big, bold beer. Big on malts, big on hops. But the clincher is their artistic integration. The beer is engaging, yet so well balanced it doesn't lean too far in any direction. The malts suggest bubblegum and the hops are a fertile garden of herbal delight.

Stepchild is crimson with a soft carpet of tan fuzz and a big cinnamon-sugar nose. Five malts and four hops are skillfully choreographed. Tastes nearly intelligent.

RedDiamond, Jul 29, 2009