Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.) - Hop Valley Brewing Company

Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)

Hop Valley Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-29-2009)
Reviews by Ghenna:
Ghenna

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Purchased this as part of my tour of the PNW

Deeo red in color, low off white head that sticks around for a bit

Nose is spice, roast, and vanilla

Vanilla is present in the flavor, but kind of minimally. Plenty of smoke and roast too.

My first beer from hop valley, kind of meh truth be told. Honestly. the smoke/roast doesn't mesh too well with the vanilla flavor. The Vanilla stouts I've made always do well with lactose to smooth out the dark malt, but lacking that the flavors don't seem to work too well.

09-20-2011 02:35:23 | More by Ghenna

ste5venla

07-19-2014 03:03:19 | More by ste5venla
bradleyp

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to $1 beer night at the Cooler in Eugene, OR. Drank from tap. The color is a dark brown, almost black. The aroma of vanilla and coffee is very pungent. I wasn't too excited about the taste because it seemed very spicy as well. I drank about 3 of these, and then i had to switch to the Double D Blonde. There is a decent amount of alchol flavor. I think the abv is around 6%. this is def. not a beer you want to drink too much of, but 1 or 2 works out just fine. Try this beer after eating a hearty steak meal.

06-22-2010 19:18:30 | More by bradleyp

frontalot

07-18-2014 21:49:04 | More by frontalot
Docer

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: (4.5)
- Pours a nice super dark brown, light brown seen through the edges of the glass. Nice healthy pour yielded a couple of fingers of a light latte beige head. Very creamy head that has left lace all about the glass, and is leaving a nice thin creamy layer above the brew. The look of this brew is making me very thirsty.

Smell: (4.0)
- A melded mix of all the greatest things is a porter. Nice husky grainy notes with a thin sweet blanket of cocoa. Light vanilla is present, with some very grassy and herbal hops. Smells wonderful and solid.

Taste: (4.0)
- Yum. This porter is very solid. Nice smooth creamy cocoa and sweet grains with a nice touch of vanilla that isn't overpowering by any means. Great bitterness shines afterwards with great grassy hops. This porter is a little more hop forward than most which might open the eyes a little of some. I like it. Light citrus notes as well.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Medium to light bodied, very smooth and creamy, and a bit drying from the bitter hops. The hops throw the feel off a bit from what one would expect from a porter. Touch cloying and chalky.

Overall: (3.5)
- Overall this is a great porter. I would have liked a little more robust cocoa, grain, and vanilla.. but then I'd have a robust porter. I think the hops used would work well as they are in a robust. This is a hop forward, and nicely bittered porter that I think most would like quite well. Worth grabbing a few bottles here and there.

07-05-2011 03:53:46 | More by Docer
jaydoc

Kansas

11-28-2013 17:11:11 | More by jaydoc
djeucalyptus

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

organic vanilla beans, huh?

pours a nice dark caramel brown near black with a fairly thin head that fades relatively quickly and doesn't leave behind all that much lacing.

aroma of rich earthy chocolate cake, vanilla, dark malt and a hint of hops. more sweetness. caramel and vanilla. smells rich.

taste is surprisingly balanced. aroma seemed sweet, taste is definitely hoppy... only some vanilla. not quite as flavorful as I was hoping... but nicely balanced, ample dark malt. lingering dark chocolate.

mouth is clean, light (maybe a bit too much?) with ample carbonation. intense lingering bitterness on the tongue keeps this one from being sickly sweet. maybe a good thing.

all in all, an interesting offering. Awesome to see it in bottles... and this is one definitely worth seeking out! I had it on tap in Eugene and it was shockingly vanilla-forward in taste (almost too much). This bottling doesn't seem anywhere near as strong, although its still a delicious porter.

01-03-2011 07:24:10 | More by djeucalyptus

Nevada

06-17-2013 04:12:08 | More by beerinNV
DarthKostrizer

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Look: Black and totally opaque with a great 1 inch head and good retention and some circular lacing

Smell: A nice vanilla bean note and not much else

Taste: Follows the nose upfront is the vanilla bean and it is not overpowering which is nice but I feel like it could use just a touch more vanilla. In the background there is a nice note of chocolate. The vanilla and chocolate blend together perfectly and create a nice drinkable porter

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: A beer with great use of ingredients and great balance. Highly recommended

10-12-2011 01:10:46 | More by DarthKostrizer
hophopandaway14

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

07-05-2012 04:03:24 | More by hophopandaway14
rbrefbeerman

06-01-2014 00:06:56 | More by rbrefbeerman
Reidrover

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

22 oz bottle bought from Roth’s Sunnyslope Market in S.Salem. $3.50 Pours a good porter dark brown with a lovely thick,creamy and bubbly tan head. Aroma a little subdued but it has the typical porter roasted malts and a touch of vanilla essence. Flavour is well balanced with more of the roasty,burnt malts and the vanilla well mixed in but not too forward ( like many vanilla porters). Good. Mouth feel is nice and smooth ..no trouble getting this over the tongue! Very nice beer..better than the usual vanilla porter for sure.

10-27-2013 05:58:28 | More by Reidrover

constantine_272

05-24-2014 06:49:38 | More by constantine_272
MaltsOfGlory

4.38/5  rDev +15%

Very aggressive pour yields a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is a light born color, not the darkest head ever, that's for sure, but definitely darker than just off white. The head is mostly all medium sized bubbles, some small bubbles too though. The head is fading very quickly, and is now pretty much gone, not too impressed with that, but it is giving me good lacing. The body is extremely dark, almost no hints of any colors other than black, I get a little brown when I hold it up to the light. Transparency is zero. Overall a nice looking porter, a little disappointing with the head, but overall it's a nice looking beer. The smell is very nice, very deep, rich, and very roasty. I get a lot of dark malts, maybe some chocolate, and for sure some coffee. I'm confused, I thought this was supposed to be a vanilla porter? It smells much more like a chocolate stout or coffee stout or something. There may be a little vanilla in the smell, but overall it's not the defining factor. The smell still is really amazing though, regardless if it smells like what the label says it should smell like or not. This may be a generous rating, but I'm gonna give it a 4.5 on the smell. Not a perfect smell, but pretty close. Wow, that's a smooth beer. I get a lot of flavors here too, coconut, light nuts (ones that you would find in ice cream or a cake), vanilla is present, not overpowering though, not really any chocolate or coffee like I thought there would be on the smell. The alcohol is a little more present than it should be for 5.9%. It's not unbearable by any means, or even that noticeable, it's just that I shouldn't really be able to notice is at all. Dark malts and a tiny tiny hop bite take a back seat to all the other flavors. Overall this is a very tasty beer, the taste is for sure a 4, and maybe even a 4.5, I'm not sure, but the mouthfeel is really what does it for me in this beer. The mouthfeel just puts everything together here, the taste is good, but without the mouthfeel it wouldn't be this easy drinking and this smooth. It's hard to describe but the body is just so smooth, it's not rough, it's a little small for the style, but it has a slightly creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is just perfect, very low but very good. I would say that the creamyness and carbonation are what do it for me in the mouthfeel, excellent. Like I said drinkability is very high, it's smooth, tasty, and not too bad on the alcohol. Overall this is a really fantastic beer, lots of flavors going on and a great mouthfeel.

As I get to the bottom of the glass, the lacing really wasn't too impressive, so I think 4 for the rating was just fine. Part of me really wants to give this beer a 4.5 for taste (I'm still pondering that rating) because it's very complex and really tasty, it's just not quite as big as I want it to be. This might be the hardest it's ever been deciding whether to give a beer a 4.5 or a 4 on taste, I'm going to say right now that I give this beer a 4.25 for taste, because I just can't decide. As far as what I put in the box....it's really good, so I'm gonna give it a 4.5.

06-28-2011 10:13:31 | More by MaltsOfGlory
vkv822

3.23/5  rDev -15.2%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours black with very dark brown edges when held to the light. A foamy light brown head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Sweet vanilla upfront blended roasty malts, and a light coffee character.

Light vanilla and roast notes.

A medium-light body with average carbonation.

A decent porter, with the vanilla adding a small layer of complexity, but overall, while it is enjoyable it is still fairly standard.

04-02-2012 06:47:12 | More by vkv822
MadeInOregon

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I couldn't pass on a beer that was made by "adding vanilla beans to the conditioning tank", as the label says. I'm so tired of companies making vanilla/coffee/fruit beers by just throwing in some random soy lecithin or something at the end to try to trick our palettes into thinking we're tasting something authentic. Rant over. Onto the review...

THE LOOK of Hop Valley's V.I.P. was good for a porter, in that it looks like a good porter. The body is black with a thin and creamy khaki head. The foam recedes into that nice swirly whirlpool shape which only good stouts and porters seem capable of.

THE SMELL was of chocolate malt with only a hint of vanilla. Chocolate is dominant. Very sweet on the nose. Overall, I feel the smells are quite faint for a beer this full.

THE TASTE was typical of a sweet, but good, stout when cold. As the beer warms coffee and vanilla flavors really come through and the Vanilla Infused Porter begins to really taste like a porter. The label calls this a "robust porter" and I would agree; it has a slightly dry and hoppy finish, which is reminiscent of other fine American porters (Deschutes, Kona, etc.) . However, this is also sweet beer. Very sweet. But, the vanilla is nicely balanced against the chocolate and coffee making for a very drinkable beer.

THE FEEL is nice. V.I.P. is medium bodied and goes down smoothly.

CONCLUSION: This was my first from Hop Valley Brewing Company and I'll be looking out for more of their stuff when I'm in Oregon again. This is a great example of a true artisan porter. It's true-to-style in just about every regard. I think the smell is the only thing that is lacking; for all the flavor I would expect a greater aroma. Kinda weird, but no biggie.

07-27-2011 06:32:08 | More by MadeInOregon