Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.) - Hop Valley Brewing Company

Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)

Hop Valley Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-29-2009)
Reviews by craigreno:

craigreno, Feb 20, 2014

chossboss, Dec 21, 2013

Cynic-ale, Dec 13, 2013

LXIXME, May 10, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

ste5venla, Jul 19, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to $1 beer night at the Cooler in Eugene, OR. Drank from tap. The color is a dark brown, almost black. The aroma of vanilla and coffee is very pungent. I wasn't too excited about the taste because it seemed very spicy as well. I drank about 3 of these, and then i had to switch to the Double D Blonde. There is a decent amount of alchol flavor. I think the abv is around 6%. this is def. not a beer you want to drink too much of, but 1 or 2 works out just fine. Try this beer after eating a hearty steak meal.

bradleyp, Jun 22, 2010

kaner1781, Jul 14, 2014

jason_nwx, Jun 03, 2013

frontalot, Jul 18, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: (4.5)
- Pours a nice super dark brown, light brown seen through the edges of the glass. Nice healthy pour yielded a couple of fingers of a light latte beige head. Very creamy head that has left lace all about the glass, and is leaving a nice thin creamy layer above the brew. The look of this brew is making me very thirsty.

Smell: (4.0)
- A melded mix of all the greatest things is a porter. Nice husky grainy notes with a thin sweet blanket of cocoa. Light vanilla is present, with some very grassy and herbal hops. Smells wonderful and solid.

Taste: (4.0)
- Yum. This porter is very solid. Nice smooth creamy cocoa and sweet grains with a nice touch of vanilla that isn't overpowering by any means. Great bitterness shines afterwards with great grassy hops. This porter is a little more hop forward than most which might open the eyes a little of some. I like it. Light citrus notes as well.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- Medium to light bodied, very smooth and creamy, and a bit drying from the bitter hops. The hops throw the feel off a bit from what one would expect from a porter. Touch cloying and chalky.

Overall: (3.5)
- Overall this is a great porter. I would have liked a little more robust cocoa, grain, and vanilla.. but then I'd have a robust porter. I think the hops used would work well as they are in a robust. This is a hop forward, and nicely bittered porter that I think most would like quite well. Worth grabbing a few bottles here and there.

Docer, Jul 05, 2011

Beardo, Today at 06:52 AM

jaydoc, Nov 28, 2013
3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Fremont small snifter. Pours a very dark mahogany brown, appearing nearly opaque in the glass with a thin light khaki head that dissipates to patches, leaving light lacing. Aroma of sweet dark malts, chocolate, vanilla, a hint of lactose. Flavor is light sweet toasted malt, vanilla, hints of chocolate; finishes with a slightly astringent coffee and hop bitterness and roastiness. Medium bodied. A somewhat subdued porter, there are some good flavors and they are well balanced, but seem to need a bit more robustness, exposing the noted astringency in the finish. The vanilla redeems this, otherwise it would be a fairly pedestrian porter.

LiquidAmber, Sep 07, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

organic vanilla beans, huh?

pours a nice dark caramel brown near black with a fairly thin head that fades relatively quickly and doesn't leave behind all that much lacing.

aroma of rich earthy chocolate cake, vanilla, dark malt and a hint of hops. more sweetness. caramel and vanilla. smells rich.

taste is surprisingly balanced. aroma seemed sweet, taste is definitely hoppy... only some vanilla. not quite as flavorful as I was hoping... but nicely balanced, ample dark malt. lingering dark chocolate.

mouth is clean, light (maybe a bit too much?) with ample carbonation. intense lingering bitterness on the tongue keeps this one from being sickly sweet. maybe a good thing.

all in all, an interesting offering. Awesome to see it in bottles... and this is one definitely worth seeking out! I had it on tap in Eugene and it was shockingly vanilla-forward in taste (almost too much). This bottling doesn't seem anywhere near as strong, although its still a delicious porter.

djeucalyptus, Jan 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

throwerbri, Dec 01, 2013

beerinNV, Jun 17, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Look: Black and totally opaque with a great 1 inch head and good retention and some circular lacing

Smell: A nice vanilla bean note and not much else

Taste: Follows the nose upfront is the vanilla bean and it is not overpowering which is nice but I feel like it could use just a touch more vanilla. In the background there is a nice note of chocolate. The vanilla and chocolate blend together perfectly and create a nice drinkable porter

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: A beer with great use of ingredients and great balance. Highly recommended

DarthKostrizer, Oct 12, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

hophopandaway14, Jul 05, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Purchased this as part of my tour of the PNW

Deeo red in color, low off white head that sticks around for a bit

Nose is spice, roast, and vanilla

Vanilla is present in the flavor, but kind of minimally. Plenty of smoke and roast too.

My first beer from hop valley, kind of meh truth be told. Honestly. the smoke/roast doesn't mesh too well with the vanilla flavor. The Vanilla stouts I've made always do well with lactose to smooth out the dark malt, but lacking that the flavors don't seem to work too well.

Ghenna, Sep 20, 2011

rbrefbeerman, Jun 01, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

22 oz bottle bought from Roth’s Sunnyslope Market in S.Salem. $3.50 Pours a good porter dark brown with a lovely thick,creamy and bubbly tan head. Aroma a little subdued but it has the typical porter roasted malts and a touch of vanilla essence. Flavour is well balanced with more of the roasty,burnt malts and the vanilla well mixed in but not too forward ( like many vanilla porters). Good. Mouth feel is nice and smooth ..no trouble getting this over the tongue! Very nice beer..better than the usual vanilla porter for sure.

Reidrover, Oct 27, 2013

Braz, Sep 05, 2013

zestd, Aug 16, 2014

constantine_272, May 24, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Very aggressive pour yields a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is a light born color, not the darkest head ever, that's for sure, but definitely darker than just off white. The head is mostly all medium sized bubbles, some small bubbles too though. The head is fading very quickly, and is now pretty much gone, not too impressed with that, but it is giving me good lacing. The body is extremely dark, almost no hints of any colors other than black, I get a little brown when I hold it up to the light. Transparency is zero. Overall a nice looking porter, a little disappointing with the head, but overall it's a nice looking beer. The smell is very nice, very deep, rich, and very roasty. I get a lot of dark malts, maybe some chocolate, and for sure some coffee. I'm confused, I thought this was supposed to be a vanilla porter? It smells much more like a chocolate stout or coffee stout or something. There may be a little vanilla in the smell, but overall it's not the defining factor. The smell still is really amazing though, regardless if it smells like what the label says it should smell like or not. This may be a generous rating, but I'm gonna give it a 4.5 on the smell. Not a perfect smell, but pretty close. Wow, that's a smooth beer. I get a lot of flavors here too, coconut, light nuts (ones that you would find in ice cream or a cake), vanilla is present, not overpowering though, not really any chocolate or coffee like I thought there would be on the smell. The alcohol is a little more present than it should be for 5.9%. It's not unbearable by any means, or even that noticeable, it's just that I shouldn't really be able to notice is at all. Dark malts and a tiny tiny hop bite take a back seat to all the other flavors. Overall this is a very tasty beer, the taste is for sure a 4, and maybe even a 4.5, I'm not sure, but the mouthfeel is really what does it for me in this beer. The mouthfeel just puts everything together here, the taste is good, but without the mouthfeel it wouldn't be this easy drinking and this smooth. It's hard to describe but the body is just so smooth, it's not rough, it's a little small for the style, but it has a slightly creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is just perfect, very low but very good. I would say that the creamyness and carbonation are what do it for me in the mouthfeel, excellent. Like I said drinkability is very high, it's smooth, tasty, and not too bad on the alcohol. Overall this is a really fantastic beer, lots of flavors going on and a great mouthfeel.

As I get to the bottom of the glass, the lacing really wasn't too impressive, so I think 4 for the rating was just fine. Part of me really wants to give this beer a 4.5 for taste (I'm still pondering that rating) because it's very complex and really tasty, it's just not quite as big as I want it to be. This might be the hardest it's ever been deciding whether to give a beer a 4.5 or a 4 on taste, I'm going to say right now that I give this beer a 4.25 for taste, because I just can't decide. As far as what I put in the box....it's really good, so I'm gonna give it a 4.5.

MaltsOfGlory, Jun 28, 2011