Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.) - Hop Valley Brewing Company

Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)Vanilla Infused Porter (V.I.P.)

Hop Valley Brewing Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-29-2009)
Lam

Vanilla Infused Porter is like 'cheesecake in a glass'. It was smooth, tasty. I tried on tap and bottle. Both were excellent.

It is a dark, yet you can see the beer if you pour it in a glass.

I think it might be the best porter I have ever had. In addition, you can taste the coffee flavor.

02-15-2013 02:34:22 | More by Lam
loren01

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%

A: Pours a dark black color, nice tan head with great lacing down the glass
S: Smell is sweet, hint of vanilla. Also some chocolatey scents
T: Similar to the smell, the vanilla really comes out here, not overpowering though but you can tell its there a bit more than what the smell was like. Lingering sweetness as well as chocolate flavors. Earthy hops in the aftertaste
M: Velvety smooth beer, very nice
O: I must admit this beer did not sound good to me at first. I am really glad I tried it, one of the best porters ive had in quite a while. Will get this again for sure.

07-09-2011 04:26:01 | More by loren01

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

03-16-2013 04:24:45 | More by bobotron
MaltsOfGlory

4.38/5  rDev +15%

Very aggressive pour yields a pretty standard one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is a light born color, not the darkest head ever, that's for sure, but definitely darker than just off white. The head is mostly all medium sized bubbles, some small bubbles too though. The head is fading very quickly, and is now pretty much gone, not too impressed with that, but it is giving me good lacing. The body is extremely dark, almost no hints of any colors other than black, I get a little brown when I hold it up to the light. Transparency is zero. Overall a nice looking porter, a little disappointing with the head, but overall it's a nice looking beer. The smell is very nice, very deep, rich, and very roasty. I get a lot of dark malts, maybe some chocolate, and for sure some coffee. I'm confused, I thought this was supposed to be a vanilla porter? It smells much more like a chocolate stout or coffee stout or something. There may be a little vanilla in the smell, but overall it's not the defining factor. The smell still is really amazing though, regardless if it smells like what the label says it should smell like or not. This may be a generous rating, but I'm gonna give it a 4.5 on the smell. Not a perfect smell, but pretty close. Wow, that's a smooth beer. I get a lot of flavors here too, coconut, light nuts (ones that you would find in ice cream or a cake), vanilla is present, not overpowering though, not really any chocolate or coffee like I thought there would be on the smell. The alcohol is a little more present than it should be for 5.9%. It's not unbearable by any means, or even that noticeable, it's just that I shouldn't really be able to notice is at all. Dark malts and a tiny tiny hop bite take a back seat to all the other flavors. Overall this is a very tasty beer, the taste is for sure a 4, and maybe even a 4.5, I'm not sure, but the mouthfeel is really what does it for me in this beer. The mouthfeel just puts everything together here, the taste is good, but without the mouthfeel it wouldn't be this easy drinking and this smooth. It's hard to describe but the body is just so smooth, it's not rough, it's a little small for the style, but it has a slightly creamy feel to it, and the carbonation is just perfect, very low but very good. I would say that the creamyness and carbonation are what do it for me in the mouthfeel, excellent. Like I said drinkability is very high, it's smooth, tasty, and not too bad on the alcohol. Overall this is a really fantastic beer, lots of flavors going on and a great mouthfeel.

As I get to the bottom of the glass, the lacing really wasn't too impressive, so I think 4 for the rating was just fine. Part of me really wants to give this beer a 4.5 for taste (I'm still pondering that rating) because it's very complex and really tasty, it's just not quite as big as I want it to be. This might be the hardest it's ever been deciding whether to give a beer a 4.5 or a 4 on taste, I'm going to say right now that I give this beer a 4.25 for taste, because I just can't decide. As far as what I put in the box....it's really good, so I'm gonna give it a 4.5.

06-28-2011 10:13:31 | More by MaltsOfGlory
MadeInOregon

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I couldn't pass on a beer that was made by "adding vanilla beans to the conditioning tank", as the label says. I'm so tired of companies making vanilla/coffee/fruit beers by just throwing in some random soy lecithin or something at the end to try to trick our palettes into thinking we're tasting something authentic. Rant over. Onto the review...

THE LOOK of Hop Valley's V.I.P. was good for a porter, in that it looks like a good porter. The body is black with a thin and creamy khaki head. The foam recedes into that nice swirly whirlpool shape which only good stouts and porters seem capable of.

THE SMELL was of chocolate malt with only a hint of vanilla. Chocolate is dominant. Very sweet on the nose. Overall, I feel the smells are quite faint for a beer this full.

THE TASTE was typical of a sweet, but good, stout when cold. As the beer warms coffee and vanilla flavors really come through and the Vanilla Infused Porter begins to really taste like a porter. The label calls this a "robust porter" and I would agree; it has a slightly dry and hoppy finish, which is reminiscent of other fine American porters (Deschutes, Kona, etc.) . However, this is also sweet beer. Very sweet. But, the vanilla is nicely balanced against the chocolate and coffee making for a very drinkable beer.

THE FEEL is nice. V.I.P. is medium bodied and goes down smoothly.

CONCLUSION: This was my first from Hop Valley Brewing Company and I'll be looking out for more of their stuff when I'm in Oregon again. This is a great example of a true artisan porter. It's true-to-style in just about every regard. I think the smell is the only thing that is lacking; for all the flavor I would expect a greater aroma. Kinda weird, but no biggie.

07-27-2011 06:32:08 | More by MadeInOregon
Hoptometrist

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at the brewpub

A- Poured brown with ruby red hues shining through, very minimal head with no lace

S- Big natural vanilla bean aroma, chocolate, and roasty notes

T- Big natural vanilla bean taste, big milk chocolate, nice roasty notes, some surprising and very pleasant bourbon flavor

M- Creamy and smooth, some tongue tickling carbonation, finishes dry

O- Great mouthfeel and a great blend of vanilla, chocolate, roasty, and bourbon notes. Very natural flavors, lots of sweetness but the roastiness gives it a nice balance

07-31-2012 01:22:08 | More by Hoptometrist

dman0628

03-27-2014 16:13:18 | More by dman0628
chumba526

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Appears black with a small brown head.

It smells of sweet chocolate, Vanilla, and roasted, toasted malts.

It tastes similar to the smell. There is a nice clean stereotypical porter flavor. I get a dry chocolate flavor, a smooth roasted malt flavor and a bit of a mild coffee taste. This clean porter flavor is paired with a smooth strong presence of sweet vanilla beans. All the flavors blend very well with each other.

There is a smooth mouthfeel to this beer.

Overall a pretty good traditional stout with a nice twist.

04-21-2011 20:56:53 | More by chumba526
katybee

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

Delicious. I was looking for an item on the menu to replace Lagunitas Capucino Stout, and came across this Hop Valley Vanilla infused porter after I passed up their Elias Briggs Cream Ale. glad I did!

pours deepest dark brown, if not entirely opaque, with a creamy somewhat long-lasting 1" head from the tap.

Only a light, somewhat malty smell.

But it tasted wonderful. It seems the vanilla infusion translates into something comparable to chocolate, but in an entirely un-artificial way. Nothing fake here. Just hearty. Smooth, creamy, slight molasses hint to the carmelized malt with balanced sweetness and texture on the tongue. Long-lasting sipper, even as it warmed, with no off tastes. Very light, balanced hopping, with the overall impact of a chocolate stout.

light to medium-bodied, smooth, and creamier than some stouts I've tried. (Off the Rail, for example)

This was my first porter, but to me, more similar to stouts than black ale or lager. this particular one is definitely an option I'll remember and return to, if available!

07-31-2011 04:00:36 | More by katybee
billab914

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

A very cool extra in a great box of Pacific northwest beers I just received. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my mad Fox pint glass. It poured black in color with a modest tan head filling the top half inch of the glass. It looked very deep and perfectly still in the glass. Very inviting.

The aroma shows some roasted malt, coffee like flavors to it. I also get some dark chocolate in it. The vanilla is there, but seems a little more reserved in the aroma. Pretty nice and smooth porter character to it overall in the aroma.

The taste is where the vanilla really comes out. It has a roasty, coffee like flavor mixed with some chocolate and a good dose of vanilla. The vanilla is very nice, it definitely tastes real and fresh instead of extracty. It's a little like the flavors in a vanilla ice cream and beer float. Very nice flavor overall, love the vanilla.

The mouthfeel is on the thicker side with carbonation being low. The mouthfeel really fits the beer nicely. Overall this was a very good beer, it definitely did the vanilla thing very well. The porter flavors were also very solid in it, and the roasty flavors complimented the vanilla sweetness well. Really enjoyed this beer, this is a porter I could drink very frequently.

03-19-2011 23:59:28 | More by billab914
bearsxco

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Received this in a trade with djeucalyptus. Thank you.
A- poured a very dark brown with a small tan head that does not last long. Semi- opaque.

S- slight smell of vanilla, more of a dark roast smell. Expected more of a vanilla aroma

T- first taste is more of the dark roasted coffee with a hint of chocolate, then a slight aftertaste of the vanilla hits. Nice layered flavor. Again as with the smell I expected more vanilla.

M- nice carbonation, smooth

O- overall a very nice beer. Definitely could be a nice session beer. I do get nervous with some of the " flavored" stouts and porters. That it would be just a vanilla added. This is not the case with this one. Nice flavor that I would try again.

12-28-2011 21:55:43 | More by bearsxco
dlbrockmiller

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a darkish beer with a light tan head. It has a light roast, malt aroma with a nice vanilla. You can really taste the vanilla and malt flavor along with a light caramel. It is really a nice pairing, slightly sweet, vanilla and light bitter flavor.

01-20-2012 18:15:41 | More by dlbrockmiller
RedDiamond

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Lush vanilla enhancements on an otherwise stellar standalone porter. Soapy head, splayed lace, medium body, and a particularly entrancing aroma. Makes for a very fine dessert beer. Finished with organic vanilla beans added to the conditioning tank. 50 IBU.

07-29-2009 01:49:49 | More by RedDiamond
drunkredpanda

4.04/5  rDev +6%

This was my first microbrew. I turned 21 a couple week ago. My buddy and I went to Hop Valley and did a brew testing. I didn't know what to expect. I tried with Double D Blonde and love it. I love the name too.

VIP was just amazing. It smells great with the vanilla bean coffe tasty. It was different compare any beer that I had.

03-07-2013 02:27:05 | More by drunkredpanda
DarthKostrizer

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Look: Black and totally opaque with a great 1 inch head and good retention and some circular lacing

Smell: A nice vanilla bean note and not much else

Taste: Follows the nose upfront is the vanilla bean and it is not overpowering which is nice but I feel like it could use just a touch more vanilla. In the background there is a nice note of chocolate. The vanilla and chocolate blend together perfectly and create a nice drinkable porter

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation

Overall: A beer with great use of ingredients and great balance. Highly recommended

10-12-2011 01:10:46 | More by DarthKostrizer