Microbrew Invitational

McAuslan Cream AleMcAuslan Cream Ale

McAuslan Brewing
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Cream Ale

St Ambroise Pale Ale served on nitro.

Added by PiratePete on 11-29-2003

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 64
4.06/5  rDev +8%

Great beer... the pale ale on nitro? I can see that. Classy nitro appearance - HUGE smooth white head sat atop a radiant gold body. Lacing in sheets and retention out the wazoo. he nitro numbs the aroma somewhat, but some fruity malts peak through along with some spicy hops, and this becomes more apparent as it warms. Big rounded fruit flavour - apricots and peaches with cream, and a biscuit malt background, before tailing into a nice bitter finish. Surprisingly large apricot presence - almost fruit beer-esque! Obviously creamy body with low carbonation. Great drinkability on this classic Canadian cream ale.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

This is probably the best Cream Ale Ive ever had. Its a dark bronze color with a whipped cream nitro head that lasts the whole glass. About 95% of the glass remains covered in sheets of lace. The aroma is light and bready with a touch of caramel. The taste is honeysuckle sweet with plenty of doughyness. Hops are very retrained and the finish is minimally bitter. Typically smooth nitro mouthfeel.

Quite a nice Cream Ale, plenty of malt, sweet but not cloying. I recommend it if you like light flavored beers like Cream Ales.

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

So, this was the third beer in the six-beer sampler at the brewery, and it made me feel like the journey was worth it. Frankly, I thought it kicked the tar out of the (respectable) Griffon Ales.

It was a very pretty pour, even in the small sample glass -- a dark gold, like roasted corn, topped by a thick head with great retention. It smelled like a Key lime pie, and tasted not far off -- creamy with citrus notes and a big hop finish. Great body, noticable carbonation, but not too fizzy. I could drink it all day. The only thing keeping the mouthfeel & drinkability from being 5's was this bitter finish -- it made me want to keep drinking, whereas I think a perfect beer should leave the drinker completely satisfied. But again, an excellent beer that I would happily drink until unconscio. On deck... St. Ambroise Blonde.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tap: Clear amber ale with a huge creamy-like head with excellent retention. Aroma is solely comprised of some very nice floral malts. Taste is quite refreshing with again the floral malt bringing some added sweetness, which makes this even more enjoyable. Taste is also very creamy-like and way better then some other cream ale (Sleeman). I very much enjoyed this as a great session beer.

4.73/5  rDev +25.8%

I've only ever seen this on tap. I used to drink this at my local taverne in Montreal but recently I have found it in Ottawa.

It comes with an exceptional creamy head and is a dark red colour. It smells heavenly and tastes even better. It really is smooth and creamy. I really have to think of this as one of my favourite beers to have as draft. It's almost what I wish every beer tasted like. In fact if this were the only beer left in the world it wouldn't be a problem in my mind. Creamy flavourful goodness.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A: It looks peachy, with a touch of creamy white head. I expected more retention & lace (with the nitro-tap).

S: Fruity appricot. Quite fruity.

T: Pale, biscuity malt flavour with plenty of fruity appricot; smooth bitter aftertaste. It's quite fruity... I wonder if it's the same yeast they use for their appricot wheat?

M: Creamy body with moderate mouthfeel; light carbonation.

D: Bring it on!

This is only slightly darker than a typical North American creme ale, but with the creaminess of the best that Ireland has to offer.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Good. This brewery rocks. Bow & Arrow's replacement for Creemore and I think it competes well. Good cream. And surprisingly bitter aftertaste, almost a requirement of the Arrow franchise lineup. Medium mouthfeel. Malty sweet balance with genuine fruity highlights including apricot and peach.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%

This beer came out of the tap with a huge head. When it began to settle it was a beautiful amber red. Man, this is without a doubt the creamiest cream ale I've ever had. On of the very best, too. Nice presence of both malt and hop. Well balanced and flavourful. Very good mouthfeel - strong and alive - tingly and refreshing. (Yeah, I know, I say that about most cream ales.) Maybe this is what cream ale is suppose to be.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last