St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout - McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Oatmeal StoutSt-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Oatmeal Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
psuKinger

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle acquired via trade with jchow79. Never heard of this brewery before. Pour will be into my Yuengling shaker pint glass.

A: Motor Oil. Pours a deep black, and forms a small brown thin head on the top that dissipates quickly. Bottle cap didn't come off with a lot of *pop*, but I was pleased to see the presence of carbonation on the pour.

S: Dark roasted malts. A little coffee and a hint of chocolate sweetness.

T: Thick roasted malts are the first sensation. This has a mild coffee presence that I like. Some stouts/porters overdo it on the Java/coffee flavor. This has a pleasant amount, it appears in the middle, and it fades away as to not inhibit the finish. A mild chocolatey finish also shows up. Semi-sweet. This guy has a lot going on, and I'm enjoying it a great deal on this late-morning early-afternoon Saturday. As it warms, the roasted flavors are just getting more-and-more pronounced. At 5% ABV I wouldn't anticipate any alcohol burn, and that is the case with this guy.

M: Initially remarkably light and tingly in the mouth for such a thick dark beer, but finishes thick on the back on the tongue.

D: Over two-thirds of the way through this bottle, and I'm not tired of it. Not in the least. I try not to rate drinkability until I finish the bottle, but I think it's safe to call this one a little early. This is very drinkable. I would go so far as to say that at 5% ABV this would be "sessionable".

12-04-2010 17:42:01 | More by psuKinger
TheSevenDuffs

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured in to pint glass.

A - Dark black with 2 fingers of thick, bubbly light brown head.

S - Sweet dark roasted malts, some chocolate and a barely noticeable hop profile. Some dark caramel and vanilla are here as well.

T - Dark roasted malts with a nice sweetness from the oatmeal. Chocolate, dark caramel, and faint vanilla flavours.

M - Medium body, slight chew, moderate carbonation.

11-28-2010 22:27:06 | More by TheSevenDuffs
AndyAvalanche

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Comes out jet black, pours out like a thick ink almost. When held up to the light there is an attempt at some light brown edges, but not really. It was a little tough to find a better description than light brown to the head of this beer. I read Buckeyenation's review which had the perfect adjective of "caramel-neuget" is exactly it. There is a little bit better than average lacing, but the head sticks around a long time. This is a great looking beer, I'd say perfect with some slightly better lacing, I like where this is going.

The smell is pretty epic, big and bold. Smell is both bitter and sweet all at the same time. The malts are a bit complicated, but smell great. Dark bitter chocolate, coffee and even some hints of vanilla and caramel. What's this, some hops as well at the end as it fades.

Taste is equally excellent. The caramelized and roasted malts blend together and produce an excellent flavor. There is some dark coffee flavors, almost esspresso like flavors that go on with flavors of bitter chocolate. The vanilla and caramel are not quite as strong as in the aroma but are still there waiving at you, and yes well hopped. The taste is big and bold, it has a lot of flavor to it. Taste is excellent, probably in the top 2 of oatmeal stouts I've ever tasted.

The Mouthfeel is good but believe it or not the texture isn't quite as full as I expected, especially given the amount of flavor. I'm not saying it's bad, I just expected it to be a little more full. Still excellent drinkability. Could be one of the more drinkable oatmeal stouts I've ever had.

All in all I can't believe the amount of boldness in this beer. The most amazing thing about this beer in addition to the boldness is how it maintains throughout yet this beer has only a %5 ABV.

Up there with Ipswitch as one of my top oatmeal stouts, I want more!

11-22-2010 03:25:37 | More by AndyAvalanche
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A -jet black, though some light flashes around the edges, tight tan head does not hold up, quickly recedes to a thin cap with a few big bubbles, leaves a bit of lacing

S - rich, deep roast/chocolate, sweet cream, slightly burnt toffee, smells damn good

T - lots of burnt/roast flavour, espresso with a splash of cream, some light malt sweetness in the background, not hugely bitter, but definitely on the dry side, long roasty aftertaste

M - very creamy and oily, silky smooth, mild carbonation, dry finish, but no astringency despite the highly roasted character

D - there is a $h!tload of flavour crammed into this beer

This beer always hold a special place in my heart. About 5-6 years ago, I had started to venture out in my choices of beer, but I still stuck with fairly bland offerings. Back then, I loved guzzling ice cold Guinness by the truckload, but when I went to stock up one weekend, all the liquor stores in town were out. But then I saw this other stout on the shelf, so I gave it a whirl. I got home and chilled them down to near freezin... and just about gagged, it was so harsh. So I let it sit there for awhile, wondering how I was going to force down the rest of this bottle, let alone the rest of the 6-pack. When I finally went back to take another sip, it had warmed up a little, and I thought, "hey, this isn't bad." By the time I got to the end of the glass, I was converted and had had an ephiphany - flavourful beer tastes good when it isn't ice cold!

However, since that time, I have gone buck wild trying all sorts of different beers, and if I recall correctly, I have only had 1 bottle of St Ambroise stout since those first couple 6-packs so many years ago.

On a whim, I grabbed a 6-pack today, so this is a bit of a homecoming of sorts. Boy, oh boy, it is even better than I remembered! Just an excellent stout - no screwing around, no gimmicks, no coffee, no chocolate, no fruit, just a friggin excellent stout. Nothing more to say, other than I am somewhat upset with myself for neglecting this fine beer for so many years.

11-14-2010 00:44:51 | More by markaberrant
metter98

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

A: The beer is jet black and poured with a finger high tan head that slowly died down to thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Light to moderately strong aromas of dark roasted malts are present in the nose along with some faint hints of chocolate and coffee.
T: The overall flavor is very balanced and has flavors of roasted malts and notes of chocolate. There is a mild amount of bitterness, which particularly stands out and becomes much more intense in the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and is both smooth and very rich on the palate with a low amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very easy to drink, especially since it isn't full-bodied and filling.

11-14-2010 00:20:01 | More by metter98
Lazerlobe

Washington

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Solid burnt creme head, dark brown body

S: Oatmeal cookies, caramelized sugars, molasses and cocoa

T: Smoke, bitter chocolate, roasted barley and accompanying sweetness round out the beer. Great char taste.

M: Thinner body and no taste of alcohol.

D: This is an approachable beer, friendly with flavor and a solid example of the style.

11-12-2010 23:44:07 | More by Lazerlobe
JohnnyBarman

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at the Winking Judge in Hamilton. Poured into a branded St. Ambroise nonic.

Deep brown, near-black, with a half-inch off-white head. Nice and creamy, superb retention and great sheets of lacing until the finish.

Nose is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, toasted oatmeal, caramel.

A terrific stout for a cold November evening. Rich in dark coffee flavor, but with a slightly sour oatmeal bitterness to counteract it. As the brew warmed a little, the caramel and cream flavors were given some presence, and the whole thing just came together. A great evening sipper.

Medium/light-bodied, light carbonation, very creamy - right on the mark for the style.

Great work by McAuslan. Although I've had this in bottles many times, the draught edition was excellent stuff. Another superb brew from Montreal - among Canada's best.

11-12-2010 05:19:49 | More by JohnnyBarman
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Into a snifter as an extra from...damn these infernal notes. Upon going under the hood, replay shows this bottle arrived courtesy of steepH2O. Thanks, Chris!

Deep brown highlights on a dark body with a nice sticky head that leaves a pretty lace.

Smell is coffee, roast and baker's chocolate.

The coffee portrays itself a bit stale, but the bitter oats and dark chocolate smack down much of the depth of the coffee. Aftertaste is a bit shallow and watery, but the bitterness sticks around with a little who's your father.

Hard to knock this at 5%, because a low alcohol stout with some depth is exactly what I wanted yet hard to come by. If there's any knock, it that it's quite thin but flavorful none-the-less.

Drinkability is high and it's a pleasure to have an low alcohol oatmeal stout that's so easy to drink. I know I said this after my recent Terrapin experience, but damn I need to stop neglecting oatmeal stouts.

11-12-2010 00:04:22 | More by BarrytheBear
buschbeer

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of brown head. This beer is dark brown/black in color. The aroma is dark fruit and roasted malt. The taste is not that great. I get some stale roasted malt that almost tastes bunt. The mouthfeel is medium. I would prefer it be more viscous. I like stouts but this one probably will not be sampled again by this guy.

11-07-2010 18:53:00 | More by buschbeer
medic25

Connecticut

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Served in a Guinness pint glass. Thick, dark black appearance, with a foamy brown head. Great aroma; burnt, coffee like. Taste is rich, smoky, with a little bitterness, a little bit of chocolate. Goes down quite nicely; one of the tastier stouts I've had in quite a while.

10-30-2010 02:37:53 | More by medic25
mrnobody

4.5/5  rDev +10%

341ml bottle poured into an oversized tulip.

A: Pours opaque black with 3 fingers of root beer style head. Good retention with loads of sticky lacing.

S: Smells of coffee, molasses and vanilla.

T: Tastes of sweet coffee and roasted grain.

M: The mouthfeel is incredibly creamy. The carbonation is less aggressive than other St. Ambroise products I've tried.

D: The drinkability of this is outstanding! Amazing to find such great flavours in a 5% ABV stout.

McAuslan has been around for more than 20 years now and they only make a handful of beers. Yet they all seem to be extraordinarily well made. There are a lot of breweries that could benefit from their approach.

10-30-2010 01:47:07 | More by mrnobody
ryan1788a5

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

341ml bottle poured into a Guinness Imperial Pint glass.

A: Pours a deep impenetrable black with a huge foamy brown head. Head retention is excellent, and a decent amount of lacing is left clinging to the glass.

S: Huge smell of freshly roasted coffee beans. I don't think I've ever come across another beer that had such a pronounced coffee scent without actually being brewed with coffee. There is also a rich scent of dark chocolate, and a hint of starchy oatmeal if you search for it. Hell of a nose.

T: Slightly bitter dark chocolate gives way to strong coffee tastes. There is a bit of nuttiness to it as well. Starchy tastes come out more as it warms. Finishes dry with coffee and a deep roastiness. Tastes great, but doesn't quite live up to the nose.

M: Thick, but not too heavy. Fluffy even. Low amount of crisp carbonation. Sexy mouthfeel.

D: Very high. A delight to drink, and it sits lightly in the stomach. I don't care that it's 5% abv. When I think of a good session ale, this is what comes to mind.

Notes: Sacre Bleu! Thank you Quebec. Every aspect of this beer is nearly perfect. My favorite oatmeal stout. Even beats the venerable Sam Smith's in my book.

10-28-2010 05:43:03 | More by ryan1788a5
KonigObHops

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Got this beer as a part of the beer of the month club. I am not a stout drinker, but I have had enough of them to know the basics of what I am looking for.

This beer is an extremely dark brown (almost black). The head is very thick and frothy. It is light brown in color.

The aroma is beyond complex. The coffee smell dominates, but there are heavily roasted malts, a hint of chocolate, and black licorice.

The initial taste is a bit sweet, but turns bitter pretty quickly.

The initial flavors disappear rapidly, and you are left with the roasted coffee taste with some sweetness and the licorice that was present in the aroma.

The beer has a very smokey coffee finish, and the hoppy bitterness returns as well.

I was not expecting to like this beer, and I will still take an ale over a stout any day, but this is one good beer. My normal complaint about stouts is the mouthfeel, but this beer is not overly thick and the aromas and taste combinations are really impressive.

10-28-2010 01:28:07 | More by KonigObHops
shambeano

Australia

4.05/5  rDev -1%

bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A-pours a dark Black, with about a centimeter of coffee brown head, that subsides quickly, but never truly disappears. this is a pretty good looking stout.

S-Robust roasted malt is the first thing to hit the nose. teeny bit of coffee in there as well, and a little bit of yeast (a little vegemitey). But the roast is the main attraction on the nose.

T- okay. straight up theres a bit of bitterness that i cant put my finger on. this one heads straight to the back of the tongue, the next up are those coffee and roasty flavours. On warming a bit, that roastyness comes out a lot more robust, theres definitely a touch of coffee in there, a little bit of very bitter dark chocolate. nice.

M- good. this one heads straight to the back of the tongue, a bitter hit before it fills out around the rest of the mouth. a little different, but i like it.

D- i could easily knock back a few of these in an evening. not particularly strong, on the alcohol front, mixed with a nice depth of flavour, though not overpowering, and its a pretty smooth feeling stout.

10-19-2010 11:57:17 | More by shambeano
philbe311

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A - One fingers worth of medium to dark brown colored head that is mostly creamy but slightly fizzy... Minimal retention gives way to a full lacing in the center of the glass, a slight gap with no lace and a thicker collar... A mix or carbonation some of which is extremely sluggish the remainder of which moves a much brisker pace... A flat black color...

S - Heavily roasted malts... Slightly charred... Bitter dark chocolate... A touch of coffee... A hint of caramel...

T - Well balanced as nothing dominates or stands out... Roasted malts... Weak coffee... Caramel... A touch of choclate... Slightly metallic finish... Fairly mild all the way around, but tasty enough to keep it interesting...

M - Smooth... On the fuller side of medium bodied... Rich... Dense... Even and consistent... Slightly thin... Limited carbonation...

D - A solid and enjoyable oatmeal stout... Extremely sessionable... Not quite the standout I was hoping for, but a very solid example of the style non the less... I could easily drink a couple of these in a sitting and hope to do so again in the near future...

10-17-2010 02:14:53 | More by philbe311
decimator

3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

341ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours are dark brown, almost black, with a chocolate milk coloured 2cm head. Head reduces over a few minutes. Plenty of lacing is produced.

S - Good aroma of coffee and dark chocolate plus there's also a caramel like sweetness in the background.

T - Roasted malts, toasts, black coffee and chocolate. Light sweetness in the background. Not overly complex but quite full flavoured.

M - Smooth at first but the finish a bit harsh. Good carbonation which tickles the tongue during the first sips.

D - Sometimes the flavour is a bit burnt instead of the expected roasted/toasted which hurts it's drinkability.

10-16-2010 22:35:41 | More by decimator
NLCBULK

Maine

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours black color with a great creamy tan head.
Aromas of coffee, caramel, chocolate.
Tastes of roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and caramel with a bit of smokiness. Great mouthfeel, full bodied with low carbonation. As far as drinkablily goes I could see drinking quite a few of these. Very flavorful but nothing cloying or overbearing. Overall a great beer, very glad I tried this one.

10-11-2010 17:11:57 | More by NLCBULK
Mora2000

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to my father for picking up this beer while he was in Halifax.

The beer pours a black color with a tan head. The aroma is awesome. I get a lot of chocolate and coffee notes, with some cream notes as well. The flavor is a chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and cream. Low bitterness. The beer is very drinkable and doesn't have any bitterness from the coffee or roasted malt. Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. There is a ton of flavor in this beer considering it is only 5 percent. It has been a while since I have tried it, but this beer reminds me a lot of the Portsmouth Oatmeal Stout. Outstanding beer.

10-08-2010 01:57:20 | More by Mora2000
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

11.5 oz bottle poured into a nonic. No date or info.

Thanks to celeriac for sending me a four pack of these!

A - It pours a solid, opaque onyx black with a dense tan head. The beer quickly cascades through the thick foam to leave a three-finger head with low retention but curtains of strong lace.

S - Oats really flourish in the aroma. It's got a fantastic smell of strong maltiness with dirt notes flaking dusty cocoa, rich milk chocolate chunks, and a touch of dry, bitter coffee. Very roasted in aroma with no hop presence. A touch of smoke wafts in on the finish.

T - Extremely roasted bitter, it's as acrid as they can come. Chocolate moves from milk richness in the nose to potent bitter and dry in flavor. The cocoa is heavy too with lots of dirt as both a flavor and texture. Hints of hops poke through the coffee on the finish. No real oat flavor though, just roasted bitterness.

M - Very, very dry and surprisingly bitter with a chalky, dirt-like texture and a full-rich body but not anywhere near as soft or smooth as I was expecting it to be. Almost a hard metallic finish comes across. It's not too bad but not what I expected for an Oatmeal Stout.

D - Far too roasted for my liking, its missing that complimentary sweetness and a soft, smooth mouthfeel from the oats that seem to appear only in the nose. I may left some of these age.

10-03-2010 16:38:01 | More by BeerFMAndy
Thorpe429

2.35/5  rDev -42.5%

Thanks to jrallen34 for this. Pours a near black with a tan head. Smell is initially a good amount of diacetyl. A little bit of hocolate and roasted malt in the background. Taste is quite similar wig some butterscotch. Tastes like a popcorn Jelly Belly. Not particularly good. Mouhfeel is medium. Drinkability is truly hampered by the off flavors.

09-19-2010 21:09:29 | More by Thorpe429
jrallen34

4.05/5  rDev -1%

I have had this on tap several taps and its been a wonderful experience. I grabbed a four pack to send a couple as extras so I got to try this beaut again. Sadly, despite it still being a very good oatmeal, the bottle doesn't do this beer the justice a nitro tap does. The head is not nearly as thick, creamy, or last as long. The aroma is still really nice but the taste is also down a lot. A little too light and has more bitter coffee than the aroma. The feel is also much light, still super easy to drink.

Still a pretty good beer, just have this on tap as its there its world class.

09-04-2010 02:42:31 | More by jrallen34
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Deep black beer with a cappuccino colored head that starts around 2 fingers and dissipates to a thin lace. Some lacing remains throughout.

S: Aroma is great, roasted malts, toffee, caramel, cocoa, really a great nose on this.

T: Roasted malts up front, toffee, licorice, bitter chocolate, oats. Very complex, can pick out a lot of flavors on the tongue.

M: Full bodied, low carbonation.

D: Fairly drinkable given the complexity and full bodied-ness.

09-04-2010 01:17:45 | More by jiggahertz
H1N1

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into my trusty pilfered pint glass.

A- Pitch black. 2 fingers of khaki coloured head. The foam recedes into a very thin layer, with minimal lacing.

S- Molasses. Sweet malts. Smells like rootbeer.

T- Sweet malty taste is the first thing I taste. There is a coffee taste present. Much sweeter than I though it would be. Very malty. I don't get any hops at all.

M- Medium to thin bodied. Slight carbonation on my tongue.

D- Good, but too sweet for me. I couldn't drink more than a couple of these. I would have like a bit more bitterness from this beer. Or any bitterness.

09-01-2010 08:15:46 | More by H1N1
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a two finger brown head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Black with no highlights. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Roasted chocolate nose. Flavor is a smoky, roasted chocolate. $3.45 for a 11.5oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

08-30-2010 22:29:00 | More by jdhilt
Otterburn

Quebec (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

pitched black with a moderate moka heAD foam that laces pretty good

smell roast malt, cacao

it taste smoky, malty and chocolate with some hop, flavors are dancing togheterm there is a long aftertaste of coffee/cocoa

mouthfeel is enjoyable, nice body, full flavors
texture is quite dense and theres a fine but active carbonation. the brew is smooth and creamy even with the strong flavors to it.

drinkability is good. for me, this is a automn beer, its not very refreshing like a blond,
but the taste everything is very good

08-25-2010 18:21:01 | More by Otterburn