St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) - McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)

good

good

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 08-31-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 346 | Reviews: 161
4.82/5  rDev +32.1%

This is one of the best tasting pumpkin beers that I have enjoyed. I have a hard time finding this beer. But when I do find it, I really savor the flavor of this beer. I highly recommend this for the full pumpkin flavor and spicy tones that go with it.

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%

I'm quickly grabbing everything pumpkin lately. First season to try them and haven't been let down yet. This came in a 4pk as a part of the LCBO's Halloween release and is already sold out everywhere.

12oz into DFH signature glass.

A- Clear amber/copper pour. Three finger egg shell head. Big billowing cylinder of carbonation. Lacing is wonderful.

S- Huge fall spice bomb! This thing is Thanksgiving and Halloween poured into one glass. Cinnamon, nutmeg, subtle ginger and cloves. Brown sugar and vanilla. The pumpkin is there but it's hard to peek through such an aromatic collection of spices. I'm actually salivating from the spice profile.

T- Sweet pumpkin dominates in the taste, total opposite of the nose. Cinnamon and vanilla are there as well as nutmeg. Toasted malts and faint caramel just wrap around you like a warm blanket on a chilly fall day.

M- Meduium bodied and chewy greatness.

D- The price rivals any other fall collection they've released so far and that's great! I found my self taking large gulps rather than sips to savor. I wanted and needed more and more till my glass was empty.

4.49/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I love pumpkin beer first of all, and this is my favorite so far out the 5 or 6 that I have sampled. This one poured into a tulip glass with a small head that dissipated rather quickly. I marked it down a half point or so for that. The color was very nice for a pumpkin brew though, almost perfect. A bit dark red-orange brown hues shine nicely,

Strong aromas of sweet pumpkin and spices emitted easily from the glass for a wondrous scent to enjoy.

The beer is mild yet strong of pumpkin. Slightly sweet and nicely spiced. This does not have the strong better spices of a southern pumpkin pie. No this is mild. Strong with cinnamon is pretty big and only light with recognizable cloves. Malty yeasty with a slight balance of hops.

The texture is the most difficult area of a pumpkin beer and this has a nice ale like balance to carbonation. Just perfect in my book. Thickish. Creamy. A tremendous advancement in the art of pumpkin ale making. Hats off to the Canadian brewers here. Well done.

I compared St-Ambroise Citrouille to Blue Moon Pumpkin beer. Head to head. I really appreciate BMs Pumpkin. Blue Moon does win the appearance with a nicer head though it lacks the darkness of St Ambroise. St. Ambroise wipes it out in the aromatic arena. No contest. Taste went to St Ambroise as a mellow ale with a lot of pumpkin though Blue Moon was close with a refreshing though lesser pumpkin flavors. Blue Moon would be a great sipper after a hard day harvesting crops. Finally Blue Moon has a extremely high carbonation that is very unique that accents the refreshing qualities. However, St A is tough competition and has a wondrous texture that is 2nd to very few. Winner St A. but BMP was quite close.

I recommend a high quality beverage like this should be only complimented by the highest of musical art forms of the region. I recommend the "musique actuelle" scene start with electronic turntable artist Martin Tétreault's cd entitled "Des pas et des mois" with Rene Lussier. Another excellent choice might be "The Frankenstein Symphony" by Francois Dhumont that he contributed on.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

This is the 2nd of 3 pumpkin beers that I'm reviewing in a row...for comparison sake!

A- Pours a rich copper color with a slight orange hue as a backdrop. Lacing is good as small to medium clumps of foam hold on to the side of my glass. The head starts out nice and thick, being slightly off white. It settles fairly quick into a patchy film over the beer. Carbonation appears to be plentiful, however, slow rising.

S- A good mix of sweet and spicy make up the aromas. Sweet pumpkin pie aromas, made up of cinnamon, freshly grated pumpkin, and nutmeg balance out the aromas of allspice and clove. This one really has a nice aroma of straight out of the oven pumpkin pie.

T- This is an extension of what the aromas let on. It is richly flavored with fresh pumpkin pie filling and has a biscuit like quality that reminds me of the pie crust. After the spice and sweetness, the finish provides a subtle but noticeable leafy hop bitterness that helps carry the fresh gourd flavors into a lingering state on the palate after the swallow.

M- Medium bodied beer that has a clean refreshing character, yet the carbonation isn't super imposing and gives this a creamier, pie-like feel to it. Really nice to savour!

D- This is what a pumpkin ale should be like. It captures the essence of the pumpkin itself, but the warming spices, sweet malt and hint of bitterness on the finish really meld well together. A perfect warming brew to enjoy during the cold months or with that turkey dinner! I highly recommend getting this one!

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

poured in a nonic. big cascading head. beer is clear amber/orange pumpkin colored.
head is fluffy and creamy. nice lacing.

pumpkin spice is wafting from the glass. there is a beer smell prominent a mix of hops and malts and then pumpkin sits right there with it. smells spicy, clove, smells tempting.

starts out with a rich hop bitterness, the medium body and slightly chewy texture finishes off with strong clove notes that turns into a mild and delicious pumpkin taste.

a little pumpkin on the aftertaste. this beer is delicious and the pumpkin is subtle yet present.

the bitterness is great and makes it hard not to chug this beer. the pumpkin taste is there in the background and i love this stuff.
definitely a sessionable beer.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

A- Orange-Brown with no haze at all. Somewhat reminiscent of maple syrup. It also has plenty of those greatly appreciated champagne like bubble lines that add so much to the appearance of a beer and hits at a spot on carbonation.

S-Smells great with all the right stuff in the right spots. Initial smell is that of spiced pumpkin and does alot to remind me of a fall pumpkin bread or even spice bread. Great smell but a little light on the pumpkin; the spice takes most of the room.

T- the taste is great, the most noticeable ingredient to me is, again, the spices. A little on the sweet side at first but it takes a turn towards the hops and does not disappoint. I'd split the taste into three distinct phases, first the sugar and spice then into spice and pumpkin and finally into a hopped up pumpkin bread. Which in my opinion is exactly where you want to be with a pumpkin ale.

M- Good, consistent carbonation even through my swirling habits. It never lost its edge and also made my tongue prickle from the tiny bubbles.

O- I love seasonal stuff, mostly because they make pictures of that particular season pop into my head and fall is by far my favorite. I have a special place for pumpkin ales in my heart and this one is one that I always stock up on when possible. It isn't that expensive but can be hard to find out of season since it has a wide distribution and limited production size. Must try and a must stock for seasonal freaks.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

From a 341 ml brown bottle, part of a 4-pack. Pours out an impressive bright clear dark amber hue, creamy off-white head that slowly settles.

Robust aroma of well-blended pumpkin spice, earthy vegetable, and light caramel malt.

Clean grains in the flavour, along with that balanced pumpkin spice, and a mild earthy finish.

Medium-full mouthfeel, brisk carbonation, smooth texture.

Probably my favourite of the pumpkin beers I've tried so far, and much better than last year's offering, it makes me glad that I held off until now to review it. Definitely worth getting your fill of while it lasts this time around.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pretty solid pumpkin beer. I've had better, but the taste lasts. It's full of flavor, and nice character.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

I had this beer for the first time roughly a year ago and it was far past its expiration; really didn't like it that much at all. Having it again now though was awesome.

Let me preface this by saying this is my first and only real pumpkin beer. Anyways, surprisingly clear amber colored body with about a finger of head. Retention was minimal as was lacing. On the nose cinnamon and other spices associated with fall come. Not too much pumpkin, sweet malt provides a nice base and is very reminiscent of their "rousse". On the palate spices come through on the forefront with small traces of pumpkin. Bitterness is restrained as is hop character.

Overall I love this style its easily drinkable at 5% abv and is more or less just something fun to drink in the fall. That being said I'm buying more of this and brewing my own pumpkin ale.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pretty darn good! Be sure to appreciate the aroma on opening. Beer is balanced with the perfect blend of spices which shows through in the taste. Excellent fall beer.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into an oversized tulip. Pours a dark amber (looks like their Pale Ale) with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing to speak of. Smells like what you would expect from pumpkin pie: pumpkin, nutmeg, brown sugar and lots of cinnamon (the other pumpkin beers I've tried seem to lack this last one). The taste is pumpkin and again the spices, some malt and a bit of hops in the finish. Again, the impression is of their Pale Ale plus pumpkin pie. This has a medium body and spikier carbonation than I would like. In terms of the drinkability, for a pumpkin beer, I think this is quite high.

I've only tried 3 pumpkin beers (Great Lakes (Toronto), Grand River Brewing) and this one is easily my favourite.

4.16/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a St-Ambroise pint chalice... The color is a beautiful copper - orange with a off-white head that disappears very quickly.
Smells wonderful.. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.. With a hint of breadiness as well.
Very nice on the taste... Buttery pumpkin melds perfectly with the spices to deliver a great fall experience. I love that this is low in alcohol... Can session a few while still getting a full range of flavor on the palate.
If only they were available in 6 packs instead of 4!
I'd definitely buy again!
J'aime Québec!

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Random seasonal pick from Beercrazy.

A nice medium brown color with a moderate amount of carbonation and little lacing. The aroma has some pumpkin spice and maybe some nutmeg. The taste is quite sweet with the pumpkin being balanced out by the malts. It has a slight bitterness that hangs around. I quite enjoyed this one, I'd say it's comparable to Rock Bottom's pumpkin ale.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first review in months to kick off what I consider "beer season!" Poured from the 12oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice.

a- pours a beautiful ruby-amber color with a small tan bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

s- very full and rich buttery pumpkin on the nose with a hard-hitting nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. a layered and extremely appetizing aroma.

t- up front is all the spices and some noticeable hops. the pumpkin flavor is very present and is quite full with a fair amount of sweetness and buttery character.. Spicy notes seem to fade away leaving that rich pumpkin pie feeling behind. The taste lingers long with a nice buttery pumpkin and nuts taste. Fairly full and satisfying flavor overall. This is the closest I've been to what I want out of a pumpkin ale.

m- The body is about as full as it should be, definitely delivering what a pumpkin-pie inspired beer should be like. Carbonation just tickles the tongue a bit.

d- well I love pumpkin things and this delivers. it's also not terribly hard-hitting and at 5% ABV this is perfect for just lounging outside smelling the air on a crisp autumn evening. Quite a good beer, not doing anything crazy but balancing the pumpkin pie thing perfectly.

4.14/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

341mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Reddish orange brown with no head whatsoever. Even stirring it a little doesn't build a head - it does seem to have good carbonation, though.

SMELL : First nose is strongly dominated by malt and nutmeg. Second nose somehow weakens the smells and releases a softer herbal aroma. Third nose is the same.

TASTE : Tastes follows the nose, but adds in a strong gingerbread component that's extremely pleasing. I can imagine myself drinking this beer on a cold winter evening with some typical xmas meals. The taste of this beer is definitely its strong point. I keep coming back for another sip, rolling it around in my mouth, releasing the warming spice and gingerbread aromas. Fantastic.

MOUTHFEEL : More thickness would definitely make this beer even more pleasing. This is the kind of product you want to drink after a long winter's day : you need something consistent and this doesn't quite cut it. It could definitely use more substance. Carbonation is pretty high to my taste (I mention this a lot) but a few swings around the glass and it's all good.

OVERALL : A very good, very surprising beer if you've never had it. Although I do believe I know my beers well, it was my first pumpkin ale, so I'm guessing I'll have to go around tasting more of these beers, and I might come back to the McAuslan for another review. In the meantime, this is my opinion.

I bought a 4-pack, popped one for this review, and I'll definitely keep the other 3 for cold evenings. They brew this at just the right time : before winter.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

12 oz bottle from the LCBO.

Pours a hazy dark reddish orange, like apple cider, very thick and tight off white head forms, very compact, good lacing on the glass, settles to a thick ring, very good retention on this one. Smell is nice, caramelized pumpkin pie, nutmeg and cinnamon, allspice, very bready bready and pielike, about as close to an actual pie as a beer will get, alcohol comes through but only complements the aroma. Taste is great too, real light pumpkin/squash gourdiness, cinnamon and nutmeg, bread, caramel, some spice in the finish, but well done and it really lets the malt and pumpkin come through. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. A real nice pumpkin ale, great balance between the pumpkin and spices, almost perfect.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a dark red-copper colour with a small creamy off-white head. Picking up mostly pumpkin spices (nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon) with a touch of caramel. The flavour follows the nose with the spice taking the lead, and is complemented by the pumpkin and caramel malt. There is a lingering light spiciness throughout, and the hops eventually make themselves known and provide a lightly bitter finish. Medium to light-bodied and is pretty highly carbonated.

This had good drinkability in that it provided adequate pumpkin flavour without overpowering the beer. Quite enjoyable, I wish I picked up a few more 4-packs of this before it disappeared.

4.11/5  rDev +12.6%

Dark amber gold pours into a pint glass leaving one finger of white foam which disappears quickly lacing is pretty good

WOW!!! amazing if i could turn this into a scented candle i would burn it all the time, pumpkin nutmeg Cinnamon and allspice flood the nostrils reminds me of new England in the autumn

Medium bodied malts and allspice are strong throughout well balanced with hoppes to finish pumpkin rind also has a strong presence

Nice effervescent carbonation which keeps keeps the brew extremely interesting however, overall i would say the beer lacks body

i really liked this beer i will surely enjoy it for the rest of the fall

The light body and delicious flavor makes this beer easy going down

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

11.5 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 8/6/2013. Pours fairly crystal clear reddish copper color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big pumpkin, brown sugar, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, toast, biscuit, floral, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, pumpkin, and spice notes; with good strength. Taste of big pumpkin, brown sugar, caramel, toast, biscuit, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger, floral, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pumpkin, brown sugar, caramel, toast, biscuit, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and complexity of dark/bready malt, pumpkin, and spice flavors; with a great malt/spice balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly slick, smooth, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent pumpkin ale. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/bready malt, pumpkin, and spice flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a dark brown amber with a decent amount of foam. Tastes actually like pumpkin pie. Not over poweringly sweet or spicey, just quite drinkable. This is my first of the style and it was better then expected. Hope i'm ready for the pumpking. This was a nice beer though.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

2010 batch of this one bought in a four pack in Ontario.

A- Dark brown-orange colour with average carbonation. Light marsh mellow like head dissipating quickly.

S-Smooth spicy aroma with most presence from the nutmeg spice.

T-Bold pumpkin up front with cinnamon spiciness in the back.

M-Very smooth two tone flavor described above.

D-drinkability is high for those who love pumpkin pie and pumpkin beers.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours a brown to orange color, pretty clear. Thick white fluffy head holds together very well. Just a few spots of lace.

Nose full of cinnamon, allspice. Some sugar pumpkin and vegetable aroma follows. Very pleasant. Very close to pie with whipped cream.

A bit of a darker base malt up front. Fair amount of sweetness. A hint of pumpkin bitterness. Some spice, with a cinnamon sugar finish that lingers on the palate for a while.

Medium body, carbonation seems a little heavy. Not much of a trace of alcohol. An enjoyable, non-imperial pumpkin.

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.5 oz. bottle, with a indecipherable coded production date on the back, but definitely 2013 vintage. Poured into a Belgian snifter.

A: Pours dark reddish-copper; very good clarity; small tan head reduces to a thin ring in about a minute. Some lacing lines continue to form.

Smell: Moderately spicy, with a well-balanced mix of cinnamon, allspice, and other 'Fall spices'. Hints of burnt sugar, vanilla and pumpkin.

T: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice hit the tongue and indicate an over-spiced ale, but it's not. These quickly diminish and mix with some pumpkin puree and light malts. Very tasty and well balanced, considering the prominent spicing.

M: Smooth, medium-full body, with enough carbonation to impart a moderately lively feel.

Overall: One of the best pumpkin beers I can remember, including ome big, high ABV imperials. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a: dark ruby red with hints of burnt orange. 3 finger white fizzy head that fades pretty quickly. much more red than i expected in a pumpkin beer

s: lots of spice in the nose. cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and pie crust dominate the nose. the pumpkin aroma is here too for sure, but takes a smoothly mellow backseat. it smells quite nice

t: definitely spice in here. there is a real nice blend of caramel, mild cinnamon, clove, and a a definite pie crust. then we hit the pumpkin - its a nice warming roasted pumpkin flavor here, like the gut of the pumpkin. ends with sweet maltiness. the pumpkin provides the nice background and spices help to round out the flavor. its draw back is that it could have fuller flavors, it tastes a bit thin

m: medium body, not much carbonation - but some.

o: not the best pumpkin beer out there BUT i like the mellow spices in here. i'm not a fan of the overly spiced pumpkin beers and i like how the spices play out in this one. its worth picking up

4.05/5  rDev +11%

I've been in search of the best pumpkin. This may not be it, but it's a great one. It is aromatic, pretty in the glass, and an acceptable entry.

It's a bit sweet on the aftertaste. The overall drinkability is very good. It makes me wonder what would happen if it were a bit yeastier and had a Belgian kind of taste. That's what I want to drink.

The name threw me off on BA - PUMPKIN - in English.

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) from McAuslan Brewing