St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) - McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)

good

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 08-31-2007)

4.83/5  rDev +32.3%

This is one of the best tasting pumpkin beers that I have enjoyed. I have a hard time finding this beer. But when I do find it, I really savor the flavor of this beer. I highly recommend this for the full pumpkin flavor and spicy tones that go with it.

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

4.58/5  rDev +25.5%

I'm quickly grabbing everything pumpkin lately. First season to try them and haven't been let down yet. This came in a 4pk as a part of the LCBO's Halloween release and is already sold out everywhere.

12oz into DFH signature glass.

A- Clear amber/copper pour. Three finger egg shell head. Big billowing cylinder of carbonation. Lacing is wonderful.

S- Huge fall spice bomb! This thing is Thanksgiving and Halloween poured into one glass. Cinnamon, nutmeg, subtle ginger and cloves. Brown sugar and vanilla. The pumpkin is there but it's hard to peek through such an aromatic collection of spices. I'm actually salivating from the spice profile.

T- Sweet pumpkin dominates in the taste, total opposite of the nose. Cinnamon and vanilla are there as well as nutmeg. Toasted malts and faint caramel just wrap around you like a warm blanket on a chilly fall day.

M- Meduium bodied and chewy greatness.

D- The price rivals any other fall collection they've released so far and that's great! I found my self taking large gulps rather than sips to savor. I wanted and needed more and more till my glass was empty.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I love pumpkin beer first of all, and this is my favorite so far out the 5 or 6 that I have sampled. This one poured into a tulip glass with a small head that dissipated rather quickly. I marked it down a half point or so for that. The color was very nice for a pumpkin brew though, almost perfect. A bit dark red-orange brown hues shine nicely,

Strong aromas of sweet pumpkin and spices emitted easily from the glass for a wondrous scent to enjoy.

The beer is mild yet strong of pumpkin. Slightly sweet and nicely spiced. This does not have the strong better spices of a southern pumpkin pie. No this is mild. Strong with cinnamon is pretty big and only light with recognizable cloves. Malty yeasty with a slight balance of hops.

The texture is the most difficult area of a pumpkin beer and this has a nice ale like balance to carbonation. Just perfect in my book. Thickish. Creamy. A tremendous advancement in the art of pumpkin ale making. Hats off to the Canadian brewers here. Well done.

I compared St-Ambroise Citrouille to Blue Moon Pumpkin beer. Head to head. I really appreciate BMs Pumpkin. Blue Moon does win the appearance with a nicer head though it lacks the darkness of St Ambroise. St. Ambroise wipes it out in the aromatic arena. No contest. Taste went to St Ambroise as a mellow ale with a lot of pumpkin though Blue Moon was close with a refreshing though lesser pumpkin flavors. Blue Moon would be a great sipper after a hard day harvesting crops. Finally Blue Moon has a extremely high carbonation that is very unique that accents the refreshing qualities. However, St A is tough competition and has a wondrous texture that is 2nd to very few. Winner St A. but BMP was quite close.

I recommend a high quality beverage like this should be only complimented by the highest of musical art forms of the region. I recommend the "musique actuelle" scene start with electronic turntable artist Martin Tétreault's cd entitled "Des pas et des mois" with Rene Lussier. Another excellent choice might be "The Frankenstein Symphony" by Francois Dhumont that he contributed on.

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

This is the 2nd of 3 pumpkin beers that I'm reviewing in a row...for comparison sake!

A- Pours a rich copper color with a slight orange hue as a backdrop. Lacing is good as small to medium clumps of foam hold on to the side of my glass. The head starts out nice and thick, being slightly off white. It settles fairly quick into a patchy film over the beer. Carbonation appears to be plentiful, however, slow rising.

S- A good mix of sweet and spicy make up the aromas. Sweet pumpkin pie aromas, made up of cinnamon, freshly grated pumpkin, and nutmeg balance out the aromas of allspice and clove. This one really has a nice aroma of straight out of the oven pumpkin pie.

T- This is an extension of what the aromas let on. It is richly flavored with fresh pumpkin pie filling and has a biscuit like quality that reminds me of the pie crust. After the spice and sweetness, the finish provides a subtle but noticeable leafy hop bitterness that helps carry the fresh gourd flavors into a lingering state on the palate after the swallow.

M- Medium bodied beer that has a clean refreshing character, yet the carbonation isn't super imposing and gives this a creamier, pie-like feel to it. Really nice to savour!

D- This is what a pumpkin ale should be like. It captures the essence of the pumpkin itself, but the warming spices, sweet malt and hint of bitterness on the finish really meld well together. A perfect warming brew to enjoy during the cold months or with that turkey dinner! I highly recommend getting this one!

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

poured in a nonic. big cascading head. beer is clear amber/orange pumpkin colored.
head is fluffy and creamy. nice lacing.

pumpkin spice is wafting from the glass. there is a beer smell prominent a mix of hops and malts and then pumpkin sits right there with it. smells spicy, clove, smells tempting.

starts out with a rich hop bitterness, the medium body and slightly chewy texture finishes off with strong clove notes that turns into a mild and delicious pumpkin taste.

a little pumpkin on the aftertaste. this beer is delicious and the pumpkin is subtle yet present.

the bitterness is great and makes it hard not to chug this beer. the pumpkin taste is there in the background and i love this stuff.
definitely a sessionable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Orange-Brown with no haze at all. Somewhat reminiscent of maple syrup. It also has plenty of those greatly appreciated champagne like bubble lines that add so much to the appearance of a beer and hits at a spot on carbonation.

S-Smells great with all the right stuff in the right spots. Initial smell is that of spiced pumpkin and does alot to remind me of a fall pumpkin bread or even spice bread. Great smell but a little light on the pumpkin; the spice takes most of the room.

T- the taste is great, the most noticeable ingredient to me is, again, the spices. A little on the sweet side at first but it takes a turn towards the hops and does not disappoint. I'd split the taste into three distinct phases, first the sugar and spice then into spice and pumpkin and finally into a hopped up pumpkin bread. Which in my opinion is exactly where you want to be with a pumpkin ale.

M- Good, consistent carbonation even through my swirling habits. It never lost its edge and also made my tongue prickle from the tiny bubbles.

O- I love seasonal stuff, mostly because they make pictures of that particular season pop into my head and fall is by far my favorite. I have a special place for pumpkin ales in my heart and this one is one that I always stock up on when possible. It isn't that expensive but can be hard to find out of season since it has a wide distribution and limited production size. Must try and a must stock for seasonal freaks.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into an oversized tulip. Pours a dark amber (looks like their Pale Ale) with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing to speak of. Smells like what you would expect from pumpkin pie: pumpkin, nutmeg, brown sugar and lots of cinnamon (the other pumpkin beers I've tried seem to lack this last one). The taste is pumpkin and again the spices, some malt and a bit of hops in the finish. Again, the impression is of their Pale Ale plus pumpkin pie. This has a medium body and spikier carbonation than I would like. In terms of the drinkability, for a pumpkin beer, I think this is quite high.

I've only tried 3 pumpkin beers (Great Lakes (Toronto), Grand River Brewing) and this one is easily my favourite.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pretty solid pumpkin beer. I've had better, but the taste lasts. It's full of flavor, and nice character.

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) from McAuslan Brewing