St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) - McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)

good

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 08-31-2007)

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It's still technically fall, though it feels like winter here for Orange County (mid 60s, rain). But forget about seasons, here's my first encounter with a Canadian-made pumpkin ale. Out of a 11.5 ounce bottle, on to the beer:

This is a dark amber colored beer with toasted orange hues. On top sits a semi-soapy head with adequate retention of itself. It smells like nutmeg, chewing gum, a note of clove, kiss of pumpkin, mild and interesting

Spiced, but not too spiced. In fact, the spice aspect brings pleasing zing which stimulates the palate. It goes light with the base malt and pumpkin, and focuses more on cinnamon, nutmeg, clove...you know, all those fun spices found in a pumpkin pie. It has a medium body, and with a pleasing spiciness, makes a lovely mouthfeel and an overall good pumpkin ale.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

3.76/5  rDev +3%

3.76/5  rDev +3%

1.01/5  rDev -72.3%

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of McAuslan Brewing's St-Ambroise Citrouille yesterday for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and I'm interested to see how it stacks up, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear caramel amber color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with two finger worth of really creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left hardly any lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the lacing was better.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the pumpkin being the first to show up and it imparts a big meaty and natural pumpkin aroma that goes right into the spices with all the typical pumpkin pie spices showing up with the nutmeg sticking out slightly more than the other spices. Towards the end I get a light malty aroma with light bready and sweet malt like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that was very true to style, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with a watery malt flavor being the first to show up along with some grainy, bread crust and light sweet malt like flavors. Up next comes the pumpkin which is a little lighter than it was in the aroma, but it still imparts the same aspects and it's followed by the spices which are a good deal lighter than they were in the aroma. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a watery grain, light pumpkin and light spice like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but i thought it was a little bland and I wish the taste was more similar to the aroma.

M- Smooth, crisp, a little dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a decent example of a Pumpkin Ale, it was pretty true to style and it was going in a nice direction, but when I got to the taste it was a little lighter than I would like. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, a little dry, not too filling and the taste did just an ok job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me since I don't have the urge to drink another 12oz of it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both pretty nice and they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they were just a little weak in my opinion. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it as a good Pumpkin Ale, it's easy to find a better one. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer and it turned out to be a pretty close to average example of a Pumpkin Ale, with nothing really notable when I got to the taste. IT's not a favorite Pumpkin Ale and it made for just an Ok first impression for this brewery and I would be interested in trying more of their beer. Better luck next time guys this one needs just a little work.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pretty solid pumpkin beer. I've had better, but the taste lasts. It's full of flavor, and nice character.

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) from McAuslan Brewing