St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale) - McAuslan Brewing

St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)St-Ambroise Citrouille (The Great Pumpkin Ale)

good

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 08-31-2007)

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

341ml bottle bought yesterday at the BCLS on Commercial Drive, 4x341ml for $9.95 + deposit.

A: clear and fairly dark orange-brown, minimal head, visible carbonation.
S: Pumpkin pie! Mostly the spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves?) but I do also smell the pumpkin.
T: Follows the smell. Spicy, but not overly so. Very enjoyable.

Would I buy it again? Definitely! If I can get more before it sells out, that is.

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

4.19/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

341mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Reddish orange brown with no head whatsoever. Even stirring it a little doesn't build a head - it does seem to have good carbonation, though.

SMELL : First nose is strongly dominated by malt and nutmeg. Second nose somehow weakens the smells and releases a softer herbal aroma. Third nose is the same.

TASTE : Tastes follows the nose, but adds in a strong gingerbread component that's extremely pleasing. I can imagine myself drinking this beer on a cold winter evening with some typical xmas meals. The taste of this beer is definitely its strong point. I keep coming back for another sip, rolling it around in my mouth, releasing the warming spice and gingerbread aromas. Fantastic.

MOUTHFEEL : More thickness would definitely make this beer even more pleasing. This is the kind of product you want to drink after a long winter's day : you need something consistent and this doesn't quite cut it. It could definitely use more substance. Carbonation is pretty high to my taste (I mention this a lot) but a few swings around the glass and it's all good.

OVERALL : A very good, very surprising beer if you've never had it. Although I do believe I know my beers well, it was my first pumpkin ale, so I'm guessing I'll have to go around tasting more of these beers, and I might come back to the McAuslan for another review. In the meantime, this is my opinion.

I bought a 4-pack, popped one for this review, and I'll definitely keep the other 3 for cold evenings. They brew this at just the right time : before winter.

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Dark amber hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Dissipates quickly. No real lacing.

S: Heavy does of nutmeg and pumpkin. Nor much else.

T: Pumpkin... i guess, tea leaf, hints of fall spice. Diacetyl.

M: Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Kind of shallow.

D: Session style.

Atmosphere is okay. Slight head, no lacing. Characteristic fall spice and pumpkin. Shallow fix of pumpkin and spice, and a little bitter tea leaf. Overall, this is a decent quaff.

3.69/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

It seems that pumpkin ales with an ABV of less than 7% are often left out of the conversation (well, the same could be said for IPAs). It was nice to find a quite decent pumpkin ale with an ABV of only 5%, one that has a lot of flavor. There's a lot of cinnamon going on here, in both the smell and the taste, and it's sweet, but not overly sweet. There are other spices too, and what you're left with is a pretty hearty beer that's a little spicy and a little sweet with a moderate amount of pumpkin flavor. The carbonation seems to be a bit over the top, and this doesn't have the complexity of some of the best pumpkin ales, such as Dogfish's, but it's got enough balance to make it a pretty good choice.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.5 oz. bottle, with a indecipherable coded production date on the back, but definitely 2013 vintage. Poured into a Belgian snifter.

A: Pours dark reddish-copper; very good clarity; small tan head reduces to a thin ring in about a minute. Some lacing lines continue to form.

Smell: Moderately spicy, with a well-balanced mix of cinnamon, allspice, and other 'Fall spices'. Hints of burnt sugar, vanilla and pumpkin.

T: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice hit the tongue and indicate an over-spiced ale, but it's not. These quickly diminish and mix with some pumpkin puree and light malts. Very tasty and well balanced, considering the prominent spicing.

M: Smooth, medium-full body, with enough carbonation to impart a moderately lively feel.

Overall: One of the best pumpkin beers I can remember, including ome big, high ABV imperials. Highly recommended.

4.16/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a St-Ambroise pint chalice... The color is a beautiful copper - orange with a off-white head that disappears very quickly.
Smells wonderful.. Allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.. With a hint of breadiness as well.
Very nice on the taste... Buttery pumpkin melds perfectly with the spices to deliver a great fall experience. I love that this is low in alcohol... Can session a few while still getting a full range of flavor on the palate.
If only they were available in 6 packs instead of 4!
I'd definitely buy again!
J'aime Québec!

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I love pumpkin beer first of all, and this is my favorite so far out the 5 or 6 that I have sampled. This one poured into a tulip glass with a small head that dissipated rather quickly. I marked it down a half point or so for that. The color was very nice for a pumpkin brew though, almost perfect. A bit dark red-orange brown hues shine nicely,

Strong aromas of sweet pumpkin and spices emitted easily from the glass for a wondrous scent to enjoy.

The beer is mild yet strong of pumpkin. Slightly sweet and nicely spiced. This does not have the strong better spices of a southern pumpkin pie. No this is mild. Strong with cinnamon is pretty big and only light with recognizable cloves. Malty yeasty with a slight balance of hops.

The texture is the most difficult area of a pumpkin beer and this has a nice ale like balance to carbonation. Just perfect in my book. Thickish. Creamy. A tremendous advancement in the art of pumpkin ale making. Hats off to the Canadian brewers here. Well done.

I compared St-Ambroise Citrouille to Blue Moon Pumpkin beer. Head to head. I really appreciate BMs Pumpkin. Blue Moon does win the appearance with a nicer head though it lacks the darkness of St Ambroise. St. Ambroise wipes it out in the aromatic arena. No contest. Taste went to St Ambroise as a mellow ale with a lot of pumpkin though Blue Moon was close with a refreshing though lesser pumpkin flavors. Blue Moon would be a great sipper after a hard day harvesting crops. Finally Blue Moon has a extremely high carbonation that is very unique that accents the refreshing qualities. However, St A is tough competition and has a wondrous texture that is 2nd to very few. Winner St A. but BMP was quite close.

I recommend a high quality beverage like this should be only complimented by the highest of musical art forms of the region. I recommend the "musique actuelle" scene start with electronic turntable artist Martin Tétreault's cd entitled "Des pas et des mois" with Rene Lussier. Another excellent choice might be "The Frankenstein Symphony" by Francois Dhumont that he contributed on.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.5 oz. bottle, with a production date on the back but it's a code so I'm not going to bother with that. I should probably note that my bottle in Illinois is a little different than the one pictured, with the larger label reading St-Ambroise Pumpkin, and the smaller label at the bottleneck reads St-Ambroise Citrouille. Excited to try this beer, as I remember enjoying the St-Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a dark bloody copper looking color, with a finger of tan head that disappears within a minute.

S - Fresh roasted pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. Caramelized malts, perhaps? Smells like the typical fall spices. Some dried figs & dates creeping out as the beer warms. Burnt brown sugar.

T - Creamy and smooth. Slight carbonation tickles the tongue. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice again. Very airy and creamy pumpkin taste. Like whipped pumpkin puree. A very tasty beer.

M - Smooth and light. Very creamy texture. Slightly carbonated. I enjoy the creamy feel of the beer paired well with the slight carbonation, and I think they work well together.

Overall, it is the second nice beer I've had by McAuslan Brewing so far, and I'm looking forward to more. Definitely glad to have tried this, and I am impressed so far with what McAuslan has been putting out.

St-Ambroise Citrouille (Pumpkin Ale) ---3.5/5