St-Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale - McAuslan Brewing

good

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: the42ndtourist on 08-12-2002)
3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

I was looking forward to this as I've never tried an Apricot wheat ale before! Poured a vibrant orange colour with a light white head.

The smell was very aromatic, sweet apricots and toasted grains were dominant.

The initial taste was that of a subtle apple pie. The after taste then turned to a bitter apricot maple tang. Was pretty happy with this overall, but I wished it was sweeter.

FOLLOW me on INSTAGRAM @thefrothdoctor

4.36/5  rDev +20.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38%

Serving Type: 341 mL Bottle poured into a Pint Glass

A- Pours a beautiful deep golden colour that is topped by a white two finger head. Lots of lacing left on the glass !

S- The smell of this beer is insanely refreshing. The first thing I thought of was fuzzy peaches (the candy). Not exactly what you would think you would want in a beer but it was quite nice. Upon further nosing, this brew has a more spicy, dried apricot type smell. Quite nice indeed..

T- Much like the aroma, the flavour of this beer is very refreshing. Lots of dried apricot that is mixed in with some classic wheat beer notes. Thankfully, the taste is not as sweet as it smells; this ale is extremely well balanced and rather than providing that fruit taste in one go, its more of a mellow flavour that comes in with the wheaty notes.

M- Nicely carbonated for the style: low to medium. Smooth drinking and once again, extremely refreshing. Leaves your mouth slick without a hint of dryness.

O- I have to admit, I was not looking forward to trying this beer. I bought a St. Ambroise 12 pack sampler and this is the last of the bunch that i'm trying. Overall, i'm not a fan of flavoured beer (or coffee/tea for that matter) but I am glad to say that this brew has made me take a second look at fruity beers. Not only does it look and smell great, but its a real treat to drink (who doesn't like apricots?!). I couldn't think of a better beer to enjoy on a hot summers day. Two thumbs up from me!

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

1.44/5  rDev -60.3%

4.16/5  rDev +14.6%

I love everything about this beer. The beautiful peach bouquet. And flavours. The colour, the taste. It is a great summer beer, patio beer and soothing beer to relax to. Or share with friends. Although not in my steady rotation it is a beer that I come back to every now and again to great enjoyment.

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%

A good mid-day beer, I'll bet. Let's try it.

Serving style : 11.2 oz glass bottle poured into clear glass for appearance and taste.

Appearance (4) : A very pretty looking honey-golden transparent body with a thick, malty 3 finger head. Recedes to about a half inch of stable and foamy topper. Leaves lacing all the way down.

Smell (4) : Public park fountain drinking water (don't ask my how I came up with this - it's for my own benefit), freeze dried apricots, a hint of apricot candy, a sharp snap of persimmon and spice. It's very much like good fruit that has been sitting out, perhaps at your grandma's house, and has a rich candy-like aroma when you're opening a bag of peach or apricot candy from a heritage candy store (you know, the $4 a lb stuff). Oh yeah, and a little bit of Werther's candy. Pretty nostalgic, actually.

Taste (3.25) : Taste is a little funky at first with some kind of off-note sweet/sour thing; but then it settles nicely into a dried apricot and melts pleasantly on the tongue and roof of your mouth. The finish is semi-sweet with notes of fresh wheat and dull hops. Burps are apricot and more apricot. Ends a tad medicinal with heavy notes of tannins. The weirdness I suppose I could liken to the persimmon, but it's still off-putting so I'll knock it down a half point. Out of the bottle the funk is compounded and actually tastes a bit astringent or perhaps paint-thinner like? Either way it's a synthetic taste that isn't great. Pour this one if you're gonna drink it.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Rich and creamy with a semi-dry finish. Carbonation is there but it's tamed appropriately.

Overall (3.69): I guess I wouldn't hesitate to buy a six pack if I could find it relatively cheap. This is a wheat beer, and the apricot is nicely done. I can't handle the funk at the beginning, and if you have no place to pour it into, forget about it. The bottle's taste is medicinal and artificial. Pouring into a glass lets those flavors mix up a bit and you get a better representation, I think, of what this beer aims to be. A decent beer for the money.

Edit : towards the end I'm getting heavy medicinal aftertaste. Robitussin. Yep, Robitussin for sure. I'm gonna have to pour this one and knock down the score. Sorry, St. Ambroise. (revised rating : 3.44)

3.52/5  rDev -3%