St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe - McAuslan Brewing

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: papat444 on 12-05-2009)

Kmat10, Nov 17, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

341 ml bottle that comes in an awesomely decorated cardboard cylinder. Picked one up for $5.95 CDN which is a lot for figured I would have to try this at least once. 2013 Vintage and ABV is indicated as 9.2% on the bottle rather than the 9.1% listed here.

Left the bottle out for about 30-40 minutes after being in the fridge so that it would warm up a bit. Then served into a pint glass.

Appearance - Black as night like in an unlit mine shaft. I've recently commented on some dark beers and how they had been the darkest beers I'd had, but this one takes the cake. Towards the end of the glass even tilted this towards me as to spread out the liquid and looked directly into the sun and... not a glimmer of light made it through. Wow. Also 1 finger of dark brown head that receded moderately. Beautiful spidery lacing left everywhere. If the head was more impressive of lasted longer this would have scored quite a bit higher. Still very impressive.

Smell - Lots of coffee, licorice candy a complex mixture of chocolates. Caramel and butterscotch mixture. Wonderfully dessert-like. Pretty much having a platter of strong rich dark chocolate and all the combinations with other dessert items in front of you with a black espresso. Also some vanilla and smoky oakiness. Slight element of rum soaked pastries and fruitcake.

Taste - Enormous flavors here, and found that there was about four stages to this beer with every sip. First a mild sweetness of the caramel and butterscotch combo transitioning into about a second where the palate is actually clear and void of much. Then boom a massive licorice and smoke explosion with some coffee and dark chocolate mixed in. To conclude a dark chocolate (like 95% pure cocoa) and coffee mixture that lingers on the tongue for a long while.

Mouthfeel - Rich, decadent velvety smooth, great warmth in the back of the throat. Obviously heavy bodied prohibiting you from mass consumption and also an oily texture to it. The slickness coats the mouth and tongue throughout the session.

Overall - Excellent RIS, huge flavor and very good representation of the style. Don't know if I will purchase another this year due to the cost, but definitely worth trying at least once.

DenisKolkin, Nov 17, 2013

dobmaster, Nov 16, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle into a brandy snifter

when poured from a bottle, i immediately noticed how thick the beer was. The thickest beer I've ever drank in fact. Thick one inch medium brown head that dissipates to half an inch that lasts forever, the longest head retention I've ever seen on a beer thats 9 abv+

Walnuts were the first impression the aroma gave off. Next was typical dark chocolate and espresso typical of RIS', and finally dates, and alcohol.

Taste is burnt toast, dark chocolate, espresso, extremely malty, and even hoppy bitterness atypical of RIS'. Exceptional complexity.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, extremely thick, and leaves a nice alcohol bitterness on the palate, along with a slight hint of molasses.

I'm aware that there is a novelty on high abv (or "big beers"), and particularly RIS', and I'm even more sure that the fancy case the 341mm bottle comes in may not help either, however all aside, this is a truly exceptional beer, and possibly one of the best I've ever had in any dark beer style.

TwilightTavern, Nov 12, 2013

AugustusRex, Nov 04, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

DamageCase76, Nov 04, 2013

kbuzz, Nov 02, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

341mL bottle

2013 vintage

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Deep dark brown colour, oily looks on pour. Mocha head that rises pretty high as far as bourbon aged stouts are concerned - then drops down leaving some average-heavy lacing. The head really got me enthusiastic about this brew.

SMELL : First nose is mostly roasted malts, coffee, mocha, with some molasses on the background. Second nose opens up the caramel/molasses profile a bit more. Third nose shows some smoke as well as expanding on the previous elements.

TASTE : Pitch black coffee, like espresso. Pitch black chocolate, I'm talking 95% cocoa. I know I never usually mention bitterness but this brew hits home for me, which means it must be VERY bitter for anyone with normal taste buds. Very nice complexity, yet pretty straightforward, nicely funnelled. Extremely coffee oriented.

MOUTHFEEL : Pretty much follows what the appearance seemed to predict - almost oily texture. Pretty high carbonation for a stout aged in bourbon barrels and this kinda cuts down on the oily factor, but since I like my bourbon aged stout on the oily side, I simply gave it a few more swirls in the glass and I got to something I really enjoy.

OVERALL : Yet another outstanding product from the McAuslan brewery. This is something very special to me since the brewery is 5 minutes walk from my place. I always taste everything they put out and their pale ale is my standard "everyday beer." I'm glad I have such a great brewery right next to my home and I'm glad they put out such an amazing bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.

FrostBlast, Oct 19, 2013

Docrock, Aug 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

duff247, Jul 18, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Big thanks to Mathieu for the trade of a 2011 bottle, opened in 2013. Hate to drink it so soon, but if it's excellent, I'll try to find some more to take home.

Pours black with a thin tan head.

Smells very rich -- malty molasses, brown sugar... smells like a great stout. Scent seems to fade quickly. It's probably too cold; it has been refrigerated. Rich grains on the nose as it warms up.

Unexpectedly smoky, a little sharp. Long malty sweet finish. Oily, fairly thick mouthfeel. Strong molasses flavor. Not cloyingly sweet like some Russians Imperials, but very flavorful with a long finish. I hate to admit that I'd like something a tad bit sweeter and a tad bit less smoky, but it's really very good. Might buy more if it's not too expensive.

mmapes, Jul 08, 2013