St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe - McAuslan Brewing

McAuslan Brewing visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: papat444 on 12-05-2009)
4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

DamageCase76, Nov 04, 2013

kbuzz, Nov 02, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -2.8%

341mL bottle

2013 vintage

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

APPEARANCE : Deep dark brown colour, oily looks on pour. Mocha head that rises pretty high as far as bourbon aged stouts are concerned - then drops down leaving some average-heavy lacing. The head really got me enthusiastic about this brew.

SMELL : First nose is mostly roasted malts, coffee, mocha, with some molasses on the background. Second nose opens up the caramel/molasses profile a bit more. Third nose shows some smoke as well as expanding on the previous elements.

TASTE : Pitch black coffee, like espresso. Pitch black chocolate, I'm talking 95% cocoa. I know I never usually mention bitterness but this brew hits home for me, which means it must be VERY bitter for anyone with normal taste buds. Very nice complexity, yet pretty straightforward, nicely funnelled. Extremely coffee oriented.

MOUTHFEEL : Pretty much follows what the appearance seemed to predict - almost oily texture. Pretty high carbonation for a stout aged in bourbon barrels and this kinda cuts down on the oily factor, but since I like my bourbon aged stout on the oily side, I simply gave it a few more swirls in the glass and I got to something I really enjoy.

OVERALL : Yet another outstanding product from the McAuslan brewery. This is something very special to me since the brewery is 5 minutes walk from my place. I always taste everything they put out and their pale ale is my standard "everyday beer." I'm glad I have such a great brewery right next to my home and I'm glad they put out such an amazing bourbon barrel aged imperial stout.

FrostBlast, Oct 19, 2013

Krakpoff, Aug 23, 2013

Docrock, Aug 17, 2013

duff247, Jul 18, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Big thanks to Mathieu for the trade of a 2011 bottle, opened in 2013. Hate to drink it so soon, but if it's excellent, I'll try to find some more to take home.

Pours black with a thin tan head.

Smells very rich -- malty molasses, brown sugar... smells like a great stout. Scent seems to fade quickly. It's probably too cold; it has been refrigerated. Rich grains on the nose as it warms up.

Unexpectedly smoky, a little sharp. Long malty sweet finish. Oily, fairly thick mouthfeel. Strong molasses flavor. Not cloyingly sweet like some Russians Imperials, but very flavorful with a long finish. I hate to admit that I'd like something a tad bit sweeter and a tad bit less smoky, but it's really very good. Might buy more if it's not too expensive.

mmapes, Jul 08, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -23.2%

Zbeetleman, Jul 06, 2013

MinorThreat, Jul 02, 2013

FrostyWPG, Jun 26, 2013

KeKeKumba, Jun 17, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark walnut brew under a big head that coats the glass on the way down. Pretty impressive look.

Nose is dominated by unusual sweet dark fruit - prunes, currants and a whiff of alcohol - that all works together quite nicely. Appetizing.

Sweet, fruity to taste. Charcoal and coffee. Noticeable dry alcohol finish. You'll figure out in short order that it's 9%. Tasty, but strong and won't be to all tastes. Mouthfeel just a little too full and sugary for me.

Worth a drink, not my favorite style, but well made.

TerryW, Jun 05, 2013