Bombay Indian Pale Ale - Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co.

Bombay Indian Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.

Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-11-2005)
Reviews by mmmbeer:
mmmbeer

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

I was looking up beers from my local brewpub and saw that there were almost no reviews for them, so I decided to go out and get a growler ($5 at happy hour) and sign up here to review some. When I poured it into the pint glass there was a slight cascading effect and ended up with a 2-3 inch head. It is clear, a dark amber and the head is lasting and sticky. Strong grapefruit aroma with some malts in the background. Same goes for the taste - ruby red grapefruit with malt trying to come through. Reminds me of a toned-down 90 Minute IPA. Some alcohol aromas and tastes as the beer warms with the malt getting more pronounced. It's 49 IBUs according to the brewery and the bitterness lingers on the tongue. Thick mouthfeel for an IPA and it coats the mouth well. Very good IPA. Can't believe this is brewed 3 blocks from my house.

01-11-2005 01:27:33 | More by mmmbeer
jfmorey

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a pint glass at the brewpub.

Clear amber color wth an average cream head with good lacing.

The smell is light, citrus, pine.

Taste is very full, pine, grapefruit, and bitter hops; a respectable version of the style.

A very good, drinkable IPA.

05-27-2010 17:07:42 | More by jfmorey
tattooedtolley

Poured from a pitcher, dark amber with red highlights. Off white head left a lot of lacing. Nice hop aroma, the malt is there as well, faint alcohol but nothing offensive. Hops rule the taste but the malt is still there. Not sure I'd call this a british IPA its obviously heavy handed american style, a plus in my opinion. Overall, a very drinkable IPA, I'm glad we got a pitcher. I'd go back for a growler fill of this. I'd also like to mention that years ago this ipa seemed much different to me and was a golden color, maybe it was a different recipe or a different name altogether but it turned me off of Cally's IPAs, I'm glad I had this to remind me how things change and how I need to take tasting risks and not play it safe all the time.

12-29-2009 05:18:24 | More by tattooedtolley
Beeryce

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Nice 2 fingers of head, frothy light tan great retention, great laceing

Grapefruit! Nice hoppy citrus, resiny with slight floral aromas, very fruity- hints of pineapple, some warmth and a swirl bring out some nice carmel malt aroma, along with some alcohol.

Deep amber color with slight ruby tones.

Taste almost of fresh grapefruit, bitter hop with good malt in the background which balances as beer finishes but aftertaste stays hop bitter, lots of oaky tannins

Simple and complex simultaneously.

Mouthfeel is fitting, slightly resiny.

Very fresh and refereshing. Very drinkable.

This is an awesome AIPA spot on!

My purchasing of the Dogfishhead IPA line may really decline with this beer available so close and at a great price.

09-18-2007 21:31:07 | More by Beeryce
Bombay Indian Pale Ale from Cally's Restaurant and Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.